• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An "only three/five mains" thread

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
King Dedede
Ivysaur
Either Lucas or Zelda, I'll have to actually play the game and figure out who is more fun to me.

DuaL82

Smash Rookie
uh probably
Pikachu
Lucina and i really wanna main
inkling (although they don't look that good)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Mewtwo, Ness, and Pokemon Trainer if just going by favorite characters generally.

If I wanted a more balanced gameplay then maybe Mewtwo, Marth, and Pokemon Trainer.

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
Most likely Kirby, Peach, and Pikachu / Inkling / Pokemon Trainer. Undecided on third slot for now.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
:4feroy::wolf::4fox:

I'm gonna give everyone a shot. Right now, I'm focusing on Roy and Wolf

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Ridley
Samus
Zero Suit Samus

You can probably tell what my favorite franchise is.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
- Lucina
- Ryu
- This will be tricky tbh. It's gonna be a Link, but I struggle between Link or Toon Link. On the other hand, I'm excited to test out Young Link and see him in action.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
We'll see when the game actually comes out, but right now my gut says

Mewtwo
Ridley
Squirtle (Pokemon Trainer in general but Squirtle looks the most fun and usable)

I'm not sure how good Ridley will end up being since there've been surprisingly few serious matches with him that I've seen, but he looks fun and I'm excited for the character anyway. Squirtle was one of my favourite's in Brawl and Metwo ends up being my main or at least secondary in every game they're in. If one or two of those characters end up not fitting the bill, I'll also probably try my hand at Snake, Inkling, Villager, Toon Link, Ganondorf and Falco. Really though, I'll try out all of the characters and see which fits best, but those are the ones that appeal to me at a glance or that I've enjoyed playing a lot in the past.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
If I was forced to pick right now it'd probably be the following:
:metaknight: 27 Meta Knight - My #1 main that will be hard to replace. Love the character too much, and his gameplay is pretty solid mostly.
:142: 65 Ridley - Heavy character for something different from Meta Knight, but still is fast.
:wolf: 44 Wolf - Nothing specific, he just felt all around good and he's being made better in Smash 5.

Of course I'll have to go test characters out so here's some other characters I will be definitely testing out in Smash 5
:4link::younglinkmelee::toonlink:03/22/43 Links - I learned Smash off of Link, but I look forward to seeing how they are implemented in Smash 5. Though Toon Link probably won't make it cause I just don't know how to use him because his goals are so different from normal Link's goals. Young Link I will try because it's a return to what I learned smash with since BOTW Link will be so different.
:samus: 04 Samus- Since I loved Link so much, I got into Samus a lot too. Her charge shot is one of the large reasons why I love using her because I love seeing the change in the opponent's behavior because they fear getting hit by it.
:foxmelee: 07 Fox - Fox felt so amazing to play in Melee, but his nerf in speed in later games really deterred me from playing him. Not to mention not a fan of his new model and voice clips, not to mention that I played a star fox game and found out that Fox is really boring in his games. Of course with Wolf being there I glanced at him and thought he was just a better clone until I actually played wolf and found out he's nothing like Fox and that I like Wolf's moves more in general. Perhaps Smash 5 will change that.
:4sheik: 16 Sheik - After forcing myself to get good with Meta Knight, Sheik feels so much better and she is becoming to be one of my better secondaries. Lately I've been wondering if she could become better than my Meta Knight.
:4falco: 20 Falco - A flashier, more charismatic Fox. Though sadly they love making him really slow. Hopefully he wont be so slow in Smash 5.
:marthmelee: 21 Marth - The first main I had in Smash. He just felt so perfect in Melee. Loved the speed, and his range, and he looks kinda cool because of his sword and cape. Too bad I just can't care about Marth as a character because he's just a generic swordsman.
:snake: 31 Snake - I never got to play Snake against a human opponent but he did seem pretty fun in Brawl. Leaving traps around and hitting people with grenades while having decent melee attacks made him pretty good.
:4lucario: 41 Lucario - I just love all the things about him and has a huge chance to be my main if Meta Knight wasn't around. I just need to force myself to play him because for some reason I never feel like playing him much despite him feeling so good. Probably due to the lack of speed of many other characters I play, or the lack of projectiles that Samus or Link have. He feels good in every other way though.
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: 51/52/53 Mii Fighter - Since they are all blank slate, they all feel so amazing and look amazing since they can make the movesets specifically for Smash. Hopefully this time we can play with them online. Definitely love the new proportions they gave them that's for sure.
:4robinm: 56 Robin - A character that looks cool and I love his attacks. Unfortunately everytime I see the limited use on his items it scares me away from the character. Even if I usually don't run out more than once per stock. Perhaps I'll grit my teeth and force myself to not be bothered by it so he could be a main. Also hoping his speed could be buffed a little in Smash 5.
:4shulk: 57 Shulk - All about that range and arts with a whooshy whooshy sword. In Smash 4 I just couldn't get into him because selecting an art was such a pain to deal with. Now that you can select arts more reliably and faster, I'm thinking that perhaps now it's Shulk Time.
:4ryu: 60 Ryu - I don't care for Ryu himself, but Street Fighter is a huge part of the fighting game genre. Just thrusting myself into Street fighter and it's far too annoying for me to bother learning it. So because of this there's been times where I've considered forcing myself to really know how to play Ryu well to get used to his combos and see if I can get myself to ease into Street Fighter more easily because of that. Even if that never works out, fighting my share of Ryus and he can be quite devastating in the right hands. His gameplay looks like it could be really fun.
:4cloud2: 61 Cloud - Everyone has a pocket Cloud. He just feels so good and is probably the easiest character in Smash for me to play.
:4corrin: 62 Corrin - I kind of view Corrin as a slower Marth with more range and a projectile. I could get into him, but I just haven't put many hours into him due to how many characters there are.
:4bayonetta: 63 Bayonetta - I love her personality, and her gameplay seems fun to play with. However, her massive stigma is a reason why I haven't played the character much. She apparently does take some skill because there's a lot of bad Bayonetta players in For Glory. I've yet to experience her deadly combos first hand as Bayos I fight usually are 2-3 attacks short of a KO with their combos.
:073: 64 Inklings - Fast character that can zone. That's pretty much combining the two main gameplay types I gravitate towards in Smash. I could easily see myself enjoying them. Also I go to a discord where people play Splatoon and they love Smash.... There's a good chance I'm going to be nudged to play inkling from time to time.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I've been dying for Ridley since the Melee days, long before I knew he had a fan base. So I respect my boy and main him finally!

As for the other two, it depends on how everyone feels this time around. Probably...
:rosalina:Rosalina
and
:4pikachu:Pikachu

If either of them fall through, I'll have :ganondorfmelee:Ganon and :4samus:Samus (if they're viable finally), :4villager:Villager and :4luigi:Luigi as backups.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley
Meta Knight
Jigglypuff

Basically my Smash 4 mains + Ridley. Would have been Ivysaur instead of Jigglypuff if not for how it's still tied to Pokémon Trainer.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
:4ganondorf:
:wolf:
:4shulk:/:4myfriends:

These four are my favorite Nintendo characters in and out of Smash (Falco rounds out my top five). The third slot is a bit of a tossup though because I really like Ike, but I'm kinda getting a similar vibe with Ultimate Ganondorf and Ike. Shulk offers variety.

*Certain newcomers could come in and potentially shake this up though

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Sheik, Ganondorf, and Ike I think.

Might play Bowser again if he turns out to be a better grappler than Ike.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Hmmm...for now, let's just focus on the characters present on the E3 roster:

Sonic, Cloud, and Pikachu

Not only do they each represent my favorite games and series, but they kick so much butt (no swearing, I assume?) that they are pretty much worth maining anyways.

If I have to choose between all confirmed characters, I'll check out each of the three Links, and may even give Inklings and Ridley a shot. Ridley does feel like he controls a little janky (finding matches where Ridley actually wins and we got to see his victory poses turned out to be a real pain, especially since he kept losing at the Invitational as well as at Treehouse matches), but I'll give him a shot.

So far, the only big boy that actually controlled well for me was Bowser in Smash 4.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Ganondorf, Ness and the Ice Climbers., with Captain Falcon as an honorable mention, heh.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Ike

Mewtwo was also real close to being 3rd. Playstyle of Ike and Mewtwo is gonna determine which character will be played more. Not even K.Rool, Impa or Dixie will be able to take 3rd and 4th spot from Ike and Mewtwo either- THAT'S how much I love these characters.

Am also gonna try Ness again as I loved him in Smash 4. Young Link can also get another try as well as Pikachu.

Last edited:

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Marth, Ike and Link.
If there was a chance at a fourth slot, or if I didn't like how the new Link played, then I would replace Link with Ganondorf.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
So I think I’d go with

01-Mario: he’s the character I enjoy the most playing as in both Brawl and Smash 4, so I’m gonna pick him in Ultimate as well.
17-Zelda: she’s my best character in Smash 4 and I love how she was redesigned for Ultimate. She’s a mandatory pick.
33/34/35-Pokémon Trainer: my all time favorite character in the series, sure he was a pain in the neck to play as in Brawl due to stamina and type effectiveness (my favorite of the trio is Ivysaur), but with these flaws removed it’s time for the Pokémon trio to shine for once.

If Pokémon Trainer is cheating because he is three characters, then I’d pick Pokémon Trainer only.

D

Deleted member

Ridley -
Y'all would know why. He's new, exciting, and everyone who's been on this forum knows why he's such a big deal.
I love that we finally have a character with some real brutality. Ganondorf was close in Sm4sh, but he needed the extra oomph.
I can't wait to try him out, he looks like he's so much fun.

Squirtle -
Squirtle was one of my main characters in Brawl, though he was completely neutered by the dumb mechanics forced on Pokemon Trainer as a whole. I'm still a bit miffed that switching pokemon still seems forced upon a loss of stock, but switching him back is seemless now so I can deal.

Ryu -
Ryu just felt great in Sm4sh and he doesn't seem much different in Ultimate either aside from the 1v1 thing. That's fine too cause I liked how he was kinda sorta implemented as a "real" fighting game character in what's otherwise a platformer brawler. I can't wait to do so many weird techniques with him.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Zero Suit Samus
- My main since Brawl. I don't see a reason to stop now.

Ridley
- Our long national nightmare is over. Finally, Ridley is properly designed and playable. It would be a mistake to not play as him.

Inkling
- They just look really fun to play as, and are probably going to be ridiculously overpowered.

Top Bottom