An idea for an alternate set format

I've been thinking about the difficulties we've had in the past with devising a SSB64 ruleset that is truly fair, and came to realize that perhaps this is because we've tried to model the SSB64 ruleset after the ones for Melee and Brawl. What if we tried a completely unique approach to sets? Here's what I came up with:

All sets are 3 games. One game is on Dreamland, one game is on Congo, and one game is on Hyrule. Before any games are played, there are three double blind picks - one for each stage (people can write their picks on a notepad or their phone before the set starts). Once characters picked, the three matches are played and whoever wins 2 matches wins the set.

Let's say I'm facing Sensei for example. My blind pick character choices are Mario for Dreamland, Samus for Congo, and Falcon for Hyrule. Sensei's blind picks are Pikachu for Dreamland, Pikachu for Congo, and Fox for Hyrule. The first match is my Mario vs. Sensei's Pikachu on Dreamland. The second is my Samus vs. Sensei's Pikachu on Congo. If neither of us have won 2 games yet, we play Falcon vs. Fox on Hyrule. Of course, the order of stages doesn't actually matter.

Basically, this format does away with the counterpick system entirely. What led me to this idea was the realization that SSB only has one counterpick stage, which makes it seem odd that SSB even bothers to have counterpick stages.

One issue with this system is that there's no good way to extend the format to more than 3 games besides making it a best of 3 on each stage (which is excessive). Also, this would be pretty hard to try online because you can't really do blind picks. Anyone have thoughts on this?

dandan

Smash Lord
and what if both just want to play on a particular stage, they have to switch, i think this will not work (though i think there is a problem with the current ruleset as it counters hyrule based players).

and what if both just want to play on a particular stage, they have to switch, i think this will not work (though i think there is a problem with the current ruleset as it counters hyrule based players).
Should it matter that both want to play on a particular stage? Think of it as a triathlon or something. The participants can't just agree to replace the swimming section with another cycling section.

Of course, the order of stages doesn't actually matter.
Hmph. I don't necessarily agree with this. For example, let's say I adapt to my opponent better than he does to me, and I do so at a certain rate. Also, let's say that if Hyrule is played on first, the game will be five minutes long, and if Dreamland is played on first, the game will be two minutes long. Obviously, playing on Hyrule is better in this scenario because I have more time to gather information about my opponent's playstyle.

There can be other things that are too small to be acknowledged. Mindsets change, etc.

Can we just get arid of Hyrule already? lol
No.

Mahie

Smash Lord
What if a player is better on the third stage and doesn't get a change to play on there, although he was sure to take it? It could drastically change the outcome.

Example :
A versus B

A is sure to win on DL, sure to lose on Hyrule, and Congo will go to whoever wins the previous round and has the momentum.

Set order : Hyrule , Congo, DL.
Hyrule : B > A
Congo : B > A
DL : N/A

Set order : DL, Congo, Hyrule.
DL : A > B
Congo : A > B
Hyrule : N/A.

That's the main reason why I'm not much of a fan of this format. One way to correct it would be to make the players pick the stage order :

RPS / RNG => Winner picks Stage 1 , Other player picks Stage 2 , Tie Breaker stage by default.

Players then pick their characters for every game the way you explained, and the set is played in that order.

I still don't like it though. People with several mains might want to switch after game1 if they feel like they need that in order to win, and they won't be able to.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Well, that's pretty much the usual format, usually when you lose R1 on a stage, you counterpick on the remaining two because you don't want to go there again.

This is slightly off topic but I'm really beginning to question more and more why Peach's Castle is legal. All it does is make Pikachu better than he already is.

I don't think Pikachu is THAT good on Peach's Castle. Dreamland probably helps Pikachu more than PC does :| (except against Falcon and Yoshi I guess)