• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An action RPG w/ some Smash-like elements

Em Keu

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so my team and I are making a Japanese-styled action RPG with a 2D view, and it's actually got some Smash inspirations and Smash-like mechanics, so I thought it might pique the interest of some people here.

There's a playable demo at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xenohorizon/luminous-plume-a-fantasy-style-action-rpg (at the top of the main info section, the links are in blue), so if you're bored, maybe try it out? (And well, it's no secret we're looking for support too, but that's totally up to you and I'm not going to push it, haha.)

Here are some of the "Smash-like elements" if you're interested:

- General movement/jumping
- Fast falling (press down while in mid-air)
- Optional tap jump and remappable core controls
- Attack inputs are like smash attacks and the C-stick
- Attacks are more about the different movement properties, special effects, knockbacks, frame data, etc., rather than just having objectively stronger attacks, or being focused on the elements (though it's an RPG so the final game will have some elemental stuff, but it's not core to the game like some RPGs)
- You can fall through platforms, though the demo unfortunately doesn't have any, and the platform setups can be remiscient of Smash stages like Battlefield
- It's also been compared to Subspace Emissary from Brawl... some levels can have a bit of an exploration element, where you're sort of progressing through the side-scrolling stage and whacking on enemies as they come up, so the feel is a bit similar I guess (I actually enjoyed Subspace Emissary quite a bit back in the day, but it's been so long I hardly remember it, so the inspirations are likely more subconscious or coincidental than anything, haha)

The KS page I linked above honestly has the most info, but there's also a site at http://luminousplume.com/ too if you want.

Anyway, getting the 'feel' of the gameplay for an action game can be pretty tough, and we'll likely have to keep polishing things until the very end, so since Smash fans tend to have a good knack for that kind of thing IMO, feel free to give constructive criticism on it if you decide to play it. :)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Certainly looks interesting and I'll give more feedback after trying the demo.

You're hitting the right buttons (for me personally) with Smash, Ys and Tales inspirations but consider also looking at Draglade. It's a similar sidescrolling action RPG to what you seem to be going for and also includes platform-heavy arena battles. Might trigger a few further ideas.

And, speaking of Tales, have you played Graces? I was not a fan of the game, really, but Pascal's postioning and AoE based magic made for some of the best mage gameplay in the series.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sorry for the delay but I've had a fair bit of trouble working out the controls. It automaps quite weirdly with my knockoff PS3 controller. As a result, I haven't actually been able to finish the tutorial.

It does, however, play very like the Tales series, only with SSB style controls and a little more movement focus (which was where I usually went with my builds anyway). I like the current moveset but, from what I recall, the pseuo-teleport move had vastly more utility and safety to it than the other smash-input tech, overshadowing it somewhat.

Then there's some minor concern about the constant refill of mana. Tales specifically doesn't do this, having hit based regen instead, for a couple of reasons.
First, hit based regen promotes the use of basic, costless attacks which are otherwise inferior. Fighters (Smash included) tend to get around this with the speed of their normals and I think you're headed that way too. Not that I can really be sure yet.
Second, since expensive techs are your biggest kill moves, you'll definitely be wanting them in tense situations. So, if you can get them back without risking your health bar, why wouldn't you?
This turns big boss fights into tense but ultimately boring stall tests, rather than the exciting duels that they should be. Hopefully your AI is smart and aggressive enough to make such tactics an impossibility.

In addition, I do not see much reason for tech turnarounds. If they provide a significant benefit to the player (less vulnerable frames) then they're an annoying and awkward input being forced onto them. But it doesn't look they do. And if they don't, why not just turn around before inputting the tech anyway?
A turn around later on in the moves would allow more flexibility in where your attack goes without reducing the commitment to the attack. At the beginning, however, you have had no time to change your mind on which way to face.

And I think that's all for now. I have not seen any platform interaction or the actual environment of the game yet, only flat arena combat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom