• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AmiiboKing on Organizing Events: "Never be afraid to learn and listen to other people."

The Michigan Super Smash Bros. scene is known for its quality premier tournament series, The Big House, which brings top talent from around the world under one roof. As the years come by, the state is starting to seem like a region to travel to for a taste of elite competition, joining the likes of California and Florida.

On December 10 - 11 in Mount Clemens, Michigan, local organizing team No Limits Gaming will host their magnum opus tournament, Showdown: Battle Royale, at the Gibraltar Convention Center. The event, with its high production values and pot bonuses, will set the stage for the upcoming ZeRo Saga, the last Smash Wii U major of the year. As such, multiple heavy hitters have confirmed their attendance, such as EVO 2016 champion Elliot "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce, the Netherlands' Ramin "Mr. R" Delshad and Mexico's Leonardo "MK Leo".

Kevandre "AmiiboKing" Thompson, the tournament director, spoke with Smashboards in an exclusive interview about his journey leading up to this event.

1PC: Hey AmiiboKing, I hope you are doing well and getting preparations ready for Showdown this weekend! Lets start off with the question I ask everybody: how were you introduced to smash?

A: I'm doing great, thanks! I got introduced to Smash back in 1999. I was walking through Walmart with my mom; I was an avid Pokémon and Legend of Zelda fan at the time. I saw the demo for Smash 64, tried it out and ended up loving it. From that moment, I told myself I had to get that game. I loved everything about it from the character variety, stages etc. Star Fox 64 was big in my day as well. It was mind blowing to me that Link, Mario, Pikachu and Fox could all be in the same game.

Its quite amazing how Super Smash Bros. has a huge impact on many Smashers' lives. Being an immediate fan of the game, how did you discover the competitive aspect of Smash?

A: I discovered the competitive aspect of Smash back in 2004. I had been playing Super Smash Bros. Melee ever since it dropped back in 2001 with a local friend of mine in Detroit. We would go over each other's houses and play every weekend and constantly play the Fox vs. Falco match up for hours upon hours! When I started high school in my freshman semester there was a tournament at my local GameStop. When I heard the news about that, I knew I couldn't miss out on this opportunity! My friend and I went and did moderately well in singles and doubles. I believe the winner got a $25 GameStop gift card if I'm not mistaken. But I was just happy to be around people that loved the game and who were just as passionate about it as I was in terms of playing. When Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out, I missed the local competitive play outside due to other obligations and would attend a few small house tournaments here and there. In the beginning of 2015, around February, is when things really took off. The Project Playhem series really allowed me to connect with the community and intertwine and get me where I am now.

Wow, it's always endearing to find other Smashers that are dedicated fans of all of the Smash titles such as yourself. After meeting your local Smash scene, how would you describe your local scene/region now?

A: My local scene is much like the typical Smash scene throughout America right now to be honest with you. You have players at every level ranging from the high level, mid-level and lower level where they are all fighting for something to prove; wanting to get better. What makes our local scene in particular so strong is that we have a lot of national threats in our backyard. The fact that we have weeklies every day and monthlies every weekend gives us access to play players such as Ally, Zinoto, Rayquaza, Ryuga, Ksev, and Loe1 quite regularly.

At what point in your Smash career did you realize you wanted to TO and organize events?

A: It started back in the summer of 2015. Our scene had been in some sort of an awkward space where the main TOs of Pulse Gaming had lost their main venue to host events. I felt sad and wanted to do as much as I could to solve it. I genuinely had fun at these events and didn’t want people to have to stop coming together due to this circumstance. But little did I know what I was getting myself into. A buddy of mine Slam Shady then decided to start our own monthly series titled Kings Clash where we got a decent turnout at each one. It’s funny because the venue we ended up using became one of the staple venues for our scene in general.

Very impressive story! It just goes to show that TOing isn't as easy as it seems. As your TO career is moving rapidly, how did the interest in eSports spark and how did you obtain your role in the eSports world?

A: I think my main interest and real drive to dwell in the eSports realm was attending The Big House 5. Shoutouts to Juggleguy, he inspired me in some way to step my game up as a tournament organizer. I went as a competitor for Smash Wii U and ended up getting 65th place in 2015! I attended this year and drowned; it’s all a part of the game though. I still got to network, build relationships with players and watch my boy ANTi pull out a Charizard in Grands!

Where did the idea originate for your tournament series, Showdown: Battle Royale?

A: The idea originated from me wanting to do my own regional. My partner in directing this event, Ksev, a world renowned player from the Mid-West, knew the tournament would be good, but at the same time we felt like it wouldn’t be recognized enough for it to be significant. It was then we decided to join forces and take over the game! He asked me to come up with a list of names for the event, I came up with at least 20 different names, then he said “I like Showdown.” The theme was originally to picture warriors, gladiators, Spartans, all fighting to compete, its honestly how I view smash tournaments in a sense. As a competitor, you're sort of like a fighter looking to claim that ultimate glory. That is what I wanted to achieve with Showdown.

So true! Each event is as intense as the next! This is a seriously stacked event. What is the most challenging part of getting talented players to attend events?

A: I think the most challenging thing was probably making our event appealing to certain players. We are honestly blessed and honored to even have some of the best talent in the world come out to Michigan. I honestly feel the Midwest is such a solid region but are overshadowed compared to other regions such as Tri-state, SoCal and several others. There's been a lot going on here in Michigan since Zinoto took second at CEO, that was just the start, we have a long way to go.

What are some things you need take in mind when organizing events?

A: Date, Time, Location. Like any business location, location, location is so important. Appealing to your market. Providing quality and unique experiences for attendees, that is what these events are about. I think what I excel at is getting the attendee involved, making them feel like they're a part of something. People want to belong to something. That’s another key element as well.

You have been organizing events for quite a while now. What are some things you have learned along the way in your TO journey?

A: I learned a lot from TOing events. I learned how to become planned, organized, efficient and am better at handling situations on the fly. I learned how to accommodate attendees, treat people how they want to be treated and more! From attending Pulse Events, E2C events and nationals, I learned how an efficient event should run and what to do and what not to do in certain situations. I’m still learning, and there is always room for growth or improvement.

What insightful advice can you pass down to other aspiring TOs that also want to see success in their scene?

A: Start small. Really get to know your scene and players. Don’t be afraid to take risks. Mistakes will happen but learn from them. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Your answer isn’t always the right answer. Lastly, never be afraid to learn and listen to other people.

What are some things you are looking forward to seeing at this super stacked and hype tournament?

A: I’m excited to see who comes in first! I’m excited to see how this pans out and comes together! I’m excited to see the turnout and fruits of our labor. I’m excited that people all over the world are even coming to Showdown. It’s amazing to sit back and think about it when I let it all sink in. I’m so happy that people are giving me a chance, an opportunity to show what I am made of.

Thank you for doing this interview with us, we surely appreciate it greatly! Do you have any shoutouts you would to give? Also where can people find you on social media or any other place you would like to plug?

A: Shouts man its so many people we would be here all night. Shoutout to my boy Ksev for doing this event with me. Shoutout to E2C | Joe Barrels, Pulse | Vayseth, Pulse | Ori, Pulse | Aged One and Pulse Gaming! Shoutout to my young homie Ryuga for being down since day one! MY TSE Family, my NLG Family & staff. Shoutout to all of our sponsors! Grand Shad you’re the greatest! All attendees who signed up, as well as anyone who has attended any of my events. Also, shoutout to you and to Smashboards for even giving us a look! For all business inquiries you can email me at nolimitgamingglobal@gmail.com and you guys can find me on Twitter @AK313!

---
Make sure to tune in this weekend to watch Showdown: Battle Royale. For more information about Showdown, one can check out its Smashgg page. Updates about the event and the No Limits Gaming team can be found on AmiiboKing's Twitter.

Stay tuned to Smashboards for more Smash Wii U content.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

Top Bottom