• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Really like the new Bowser and Yoshi. And Peach is looking much better than her Smash counterpart in the face area. Shame she loses the sick dress though.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yes and no. They'll continue to learn, but as they say, old habits die hard. Once something's ingrained in its memory, it's all but impossible to cut it out of its play - it'll learn to do that thing better, but it probably won't stop doing it.

I got two Mega Mans - one is much shinier than the other, and the duller one is completely lacking gloss in an area on his foot. It actually looks like the piece must have been dipped in whatever gives it that shine, but it wasn't totally submerged so there's a sudden, distinct area that has no shine at all.
Would you say it would take around the same time to improve the habit as it would to start over from Level 1 again? They're good fighters, they just have one nasty habit I want to at least get them to do less often.

So what's the most you guys have paid for an amiibo thus far? And is there a limit to how much you would pay regardless if you really want it?
I paid $30 each for :4marth: and :4wiifit: on eBay. That's as high as I go.
What's the least I paid for? :4kirby: Who I got as a gift fo free. After that it's actually :rosalina: who I only paid $4 for since I had a free $10 gift card. Totally counts.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll only ever resort to a scalper if it's a "just need that one last figure" situation.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Would you say it would take around the same time to improve the habit as it would to start over from Level 1 again? They're good fighters, they just have one nasty habit I want to at least get them to do less often.
Personally, I haven't had much patience for them learning post-50. I tried grinding out some bad habits from a Kirby once, and after 45 minutes without success I decided I'd have been farther ahead retraining from scratch in the first place (that's almost half the time it takes to get them to 50 anyway). I'm pleased with that decision as I learned from my own mistakes and wound up with a much stronger amiibo overall.

If there's something especially egregious (like my Fox going out of his way to run the opposite direction and off the stage to SD once per match... it was really funny the first time, heart-breaking the fifth time) you're probably just better off putting it down and starting fresh.

XFirefox45x

Smash Rookie
So what's the most you guys have paid for an amiibo thus far? And is there a limit to how much you would pay regardless if you really want it?
I have a Job, so it's not that hard to get many Amiibo's at the same time. I was able to get each Amiibo from wave 1-3 for 12.99 Except Rosalina $40 and Captain Flacon $30 So.... $433.74 (Not Including Tax)

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
...It is literally a Japanese word though... it literally means "wife" in Japanese.
I was mostly referring to the word's use in English-speaking forums to designate a fictional female someone has a crush on. But don't let this go off-topic <_<

Don't know if this has been brought up yet but, how rare does everyone think the mewtwo amiibo will be, if they plan to release it after the dlc is released?
Earlier I theorized that Mewtwo is going to be one of the most common amiibos due to the huge recognizability of the character, but now I have another theory. I'm 99% sure Mewtwo is going to have a Smash series amiibo, if only for the fact it's a good way to advertise the DLC for Smash. But because I'm expecting a Pokémon series amiibo to come sooner or later, and to obviously feature Mewtwo, I could see the Smash Mewtwo amiibo being a limited print with a mention to his downloadable status on the packaging and come with a code to provision the eShop account for a amount of money equal to the DLC's price. On the other hand I could see the Pokémon Series Mewtwo amiibo being more common and having no eShop code nor mention to Smash in the packaging.

Purio

Smash Cadet
With the new images of the Mario Bros. Amiibo line... I'm debating if I'll grab them all. Originally I just wanted Toad since I have all the other Smash counter parts. Then I started thinking that I'd grab Luigi too, since that pose is better and he's always been my favorite Mario character. Now... I may just cave and get them all. Why not complete the collection, right? =P

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll get Mario with MP10 and I'll get Toad, but other than that, I am just waiting for Rosalina and maybe I will get one more to have four figures for Amiibo Party. Probably Bowser, since you need him to play Bowser Party mini-games in Amiibo Party.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'll get Mario with MP10 and I'll get Toad, but other than that, I am just waiting for Rosalina and maybe I will get one more to have four figures for Amiibo Party. Probably Bowser, since you need him to play Bowser Party mini-games in Amiibo Party.
Can't you just use the Smash Series Bowser for that game? Given it's more common, it'd probably be less of a hassle to settle for that one.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As far as the Mario line goes, I'll probably just be getting Toad and Peach for this wave. I see no reason to get multiple amiibos for the same character (so no need for me to get Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, or Bowser), and I prefer Peach's Mario Bros. pose to her Smash Bros. pose.

As for future Mario waves, I'm really looking forward to Wario and Waluigi (if the roster of Mario Party 10 is any indication as to who will get amiibos) - I greatly prefer Wario's plumber outfit over his biker clothes (mainly because the Wario Land games were some of the first that I played), and Waluigi is just hilariously ridiculous.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can't you just use the Smash Series Bowser for that game? Given it's more common, it'd probably be less of a hassle to settle for that one.
I want to have a trained Smash Amiibo of every character. I'm not just collecting them, I want to train all of them. If I used to the Smash Bowser for Mario Party, I would not be able to train it without deleting the Mario Party data.

Also why would the Smash Bowser be more common? Nintendo said the Mario line would be stocked better in general, and I don't see why the SM Bowser would be rare at all. If anything, I expect the Smash version to start getting phased out in a couple of months.

Speaking of Mario Party and Amiibos:

So far, these will be the only Amiibos compatible with MP10. While they could just patch in support for other characters like Waluigi and Daisy, there currently is no Amiibo functionality specific to them. Them being playable in Mario Party 10 does not necessarily confirm them as getting Amiibos at this moment in time.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I want to have a trained Smash Amiibo of every character. I'm not just collecting them, I want to train all of them. If I used to the Smash Bowser for Mario Party, I would not be able to train it without deleting the Mario Party data.

Also why would the Smash Bowser be more common? Nintendo said the Mario line would be stocked better in general, and I don't see why the SM Bowser would be rare at all. If anything, I expect the Smash version to start getting phased out in a couple of months.

Speaking of Mario Party and Amiibos:

So far, these will be the only Amiibos compatible with MP10. While they could just patch in support for other characters like Waluigi and Daisy, there currently is no Amiibo functionality specific to them. Them being playable in Mario Party 10 does not necessarily confirm them as getting Amiibos at this moment in time.

Damn i'll have to get Wario when that arrives!

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So Gold Mario might have been up for pre-order again a little bit ago.

I logged in just now, saw the "Add to Cart" button. Clicked it lightning fast... and immediately got an error message "We just sold out of this item, it was not added to your cart." The button stayed on like that for another minute before going back to "Get in-stock alert."

At least I got the 20th off to go wait in line for it...

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Buying rare amiibo online in a nutshell.

Last edited:

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
$26 for UK Marth and Villager, including shipping. I made sure they were supplied by Amazon S.a.r.L. and not some scalper. This is the most I ever intend to pay for one of these things.

I don't care how badly I want the whole collection. I refuse to give a scalper the pleasure of overcharging me. I have contacts, I have trade fodder, and I look out for other collectors in the same position as me. I've given up the Lucario I intended to play with to round out a new friend's collection, and I even keep up with an old lady who's trying to get three of everything for her three grandchildren - I don't need scalpers, and I'll do anything I can to help people I know avoid having to resort to using them too.

Walmart's shipping is interesting... they pack as much as they can in as small as box as possible. This is actually a very good thing as it prevents them from rolling around in the package. Their packaging is also more consistent than other retailers'.

I've received packages of 2 and 3 at a time from them - I recommend ordering in pairs, for reasons I'll illustrate below.

Imagine this is the amiibo package:
|
[]

Here's how Walmart will package 2 at a time:
|[]
[]|
(Both amiibos fit snugly within a box of almost the exact size needed to fit them in this configuration. The plastic bubble from one package reinforces the cardboard display of the other)

Here's how Walmart will package 3 at a time:
[]_
| []
[] |
(Slightly larger box than what's used above. Note that there's some empty air in one corner, so the third amiibo's cardboard display is prone to some damage. There's also a little more room for the paired packages to bump around)

I've received a total of 4 packages of amiibos from Walmart, and all four were in one of the two configurations above.

Overall, Walmart has my #2 preferred packaging scheme, second only to amiami (who I'm sure did a superb job because I paid for the better option).

Toys R Us is the worst by far - they're very inconsistent and just use whatever's laying around. For single amiibos, I've had everything from the whole thing crammed inside a yellow bubble package envelope, to having one roll around in a giant box 5 times its size with only some advertisements for life insurance for packaging.
i only want to pre-order one amiibo from walmart though, do you think that's a bad decision?

No Waluigi Amibo?

so does daisy !!! :(

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
i only want to pre-order one amiibo from walmart though, do you think that's a bad decision?

so does daisy !!! :(
I wouldn't let something like a fear of package damage stop you. These things fly off the shelves too fast to worry about it. It's random chance - I could tell you their packaging is great, and it could still wind up crushed. I'm just a guy who's had a good experience with Walmart so far. I can't guarantee you'll have the same luck.

That said, I would recommend Walmart over other retailers I've used for these so far.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
I wouldn't let something like a fear of package damage stop you. These things fly off the shelves too fast to worry about it. It's random chance - I could tell you their packaging is great, and it could still wind up crushed. I'm just a guy who's had a good experience with Walmart so far. I can't guarantee you'll have the same luck.

That said, I would recommend Walmart over other retailers I've used for these so far.
well thank you for responding ! i don't know about flying off the shelves though ! i just wanted to pre-order the super mario peach !

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I'm gonna be gunning for the :4gaw: and :4duckhunt: amiibo. I'm also still checking around for Dedede and Toys R Us has been getting in lots of shipments lately so we'll see how it goes.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
My Amiibos can improvise by hard reading and finding possible undiscovered character combos. My Fox knows the basic double jab combo and can go into a grab after it, leading to a sick Fox combo like double jab, grab, down throw, f-air, to possible up-air.

My Toon Link can do the double jab combo as well except follows it up with an up-tilt or up smash to up air. Has the double jab withToon Link even been discovered yet? If not, it has now. He double jab combo locks me then up smashes me as a finisher at times. It's VERY impressive.

My Sheik knows most of the basic Sheik meta and then improvises the rest of it pretty impressively. As a Falcon main, I grind against this Amiibo a ton to master the Sheik matchup because that's one of Falcon's toughest matchups and I want to be as prepared as ever to tangle against any Sheik.

If you grind them out hard enough and really want to do well in competitive play, use Amiibos. You can go SO DEEP into a character matchup that will keep you on your toes constantly. Plus don't be discouraged if it beats you. It hurts to see posts on here saying 'I can't beat my Amiibo'. What's happening is that you're being out read by it. It's found out something in your patterns and it is needling you constantly with it. You won't improve in Smash if you reset your Amiibo if it is at level 50 and it is beating you. You just have to grind it out against him or face another Amiibo in your collection to loosen up your mood. Then try again and you may win against him because you solved his tricks. Keep doing that and you'll see MASSIVE improvements in your play in the future. I do that against every Amiibo in my collection. Always find something new to try and beat me.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Mr Game and Watch amiibo should be interesting, i wonder how they will do that one?
I would be a bit surprised if he were two-dimensional. De jure it may sound nifty, even if dissimilar to his Smash art, but de facto, it would look extremely cheap.
Though, no one would care, as only five will be available.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I would be a bit surprised if he were two-dimensional. De jure it may sound nifty, even if dissimilar to his Smash art, but de facto, it would look extremely cheap.
Though, no one would care, as only five will be available.
I'm betting they'll give him a half inch thickness with his bell ringing or down taunt from Brawl as the design. If its not the bell I'll be very disappointed.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So a Samus amiibo teleported into my household. Should I be nervous?

Also, I've been hearing of people getting Marth, Fox, and Falcon in the used section at GameStop.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm betting they'll give him a half inch thickness with his bell ringing or down taunt from Brawl as the design. If its not the bell I'll be very disappointed.
He won't have the bell, as it isn't in his official Smash 4 render:

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Pac-Man is going to be a real pain to find out here unless the OKC stores surprise me somehow. He's really the only one I want from this next wave.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/10/splatoon-eshop-listing-crops-up-showing-amiibo-support/
The plot thickens. Splatoon Amiibo could totally happen!

Personally, I haven't had much patience for them learning post-50. I tried grinding out some bad habits from a Kirby once, and after 45 minutes without success I decided I'd have been farther ahead retraining from scratch in the first place (that's almost half the time it takes to get them to 50 anyway). I'm pleased with that decision as I learned from my own mistakes and wound up with a much stronger amiibo overall.

If there's something especially egregious (like my Fox going out of his way to run the opposite direction and off the stage to SD once per match... it was really funny the first time, heart-breaking the fifth time) you're probably just better off putting it down and starting fresh.
My Amiibos can improvise by hard reading and finding possible undiscovered character combos. My Fox knows the basic double jab combo and can go into a grab after it, leading to a sick Fox combo like double jab, grab, down throw, f-air, to possible up-air.

My Toon Link can do the double jab combo as well except follows it up with an up-tilt or up smash to up air. Has the double jab withToon Link even been discovered yet? If not, it has now. He double jab combo locks me then up smashes me as a finisher at times. It's VERY impressive.

My Sheik knows most of the basic Sheik meta and then improvises the rest of it pretty impressively. As a Falcon main, I grind against this Amiibo a ton to master the Sheik matchup because that's one of Falcon's toughest matchups and I want to be as prepared as ever to tangle against any Sheik.

If you grind them out hard enough and really want to do well in competitive play, use Amiibos. You can go SO DEEP into a character matchup that will keep you on your toes constantly. Plus don't be discouraged if it beats you. It hurts to see posts on here saying 'I can't beat my Amiibo'. What's happening is that you're being out read by it. It's found out something in your patterns and it is needling you constantly with it. You won't improve in Smash if you reset your Amiibo if it is at level 50 and it is beating you. You just have to grind it out against him or face another Amiibo in your collection to loosen up your mood. Then try again and you may win against him because you solved his tricks. Keep doing that and you'll see MASSIVE improvements in your play in the future. I do that against every Amiibo in my collection. Always find something new to try and beat me.
Solid advice from both of you. I guess my problem was that I just sort of let them develop the nasty Up Smash Spam habit. I had a good Amiibo training sesh with :4luigi: and :4marth: where I avoided their Up Smashes at all costs so they wouldn't develop it and it worked out better. I even got them to taunt which is something the other guys didn't pick up.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
just pre-ordered the gold mario ! what a heart attack :crazy:
:4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario:
*sigh*

I've been tirelessly refreshing Walmart's page since they changed their button yesterday from "Get in-stock alert" to "Preorder available" at least a few times an hour. Every time, it came up with the error "We just sold out of this item."

You mean to tell me the button finally decided to work after I decided to leave and buy clothes? It's almost like these things have to come before, y'know, taking care of yourself.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
*sigh*

I've been tirelessly refreshing Walmart's page since they changed their button yesterday from "Get in-stock alert" to "Preorder available" at least a few times an hour. Every time, it came up with the error "We just sold out of this item."

You mean to tell me the button finally decided to work after I decided to leave and buy clothes? It's almost like these things have to come before, y'know, taking care of yourself.
totally… i've missed ike & dedede countless times, maybe 5-6 times within a 10 minute period and it sucks.

Top Bottom