• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
hey eggz, so how do you deal with a marth who spaces well and generally uses fairs and can ken combo pretty good if givin the chance. what type of mind games/ strategies tend to work? do you have any vids of you playing a marth? thanks in advance.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Ohhhh!!!
Now I get it. Looooool
Well, Then let's just say I hate infected mushrooms. What can I say, Wario!!!!

Popsicler

Smash Cadet
yyyeah eggz...i wanna know about them buggering little marths and how you would handle them....and also how to play a mario such as *cough* ERIC BROWN!!! *cough*

mario-man

Smash Lord
Techno, Dance, Electronica...................yas knows thats kinds of musics.
LoL

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
Hay eggz, this is an old friend in dire assistance of your help. How do you beat a jiggs that is rest crazy spaces like a marth and has a little of the wall of pain strategies as an arsonal.

ps anonomyous/ KLAP TRAP. Just to let you know i have aim if you are to busy to not get on the boards. lol

Eggz

Smash Hero
If you get a grab, chaingrab, but dont focus on grabs the whole match or you'll lose. Use your bairs alot, dont challenge his dair, dont challenge his utilt, and dont challenge his bair.

Dont **** around with combos, if you can get an fsmash out of a uthrow, just do it.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
This question is for Eggz, Maelstrom, and anyone else that might have a thought-out opinion on it.

Which aerials are the best for doing cross-ups? I'm thinking its UAir due to hitting in the front and back etc., and BAir because well, thats standard and obvious for almost all characters.

Gea

Smash Master
Actually dair is about the only REALLY good one, with nair in second, and bair third. Uair doesn't last long enough to really be useful for THAT purpose, but it comes in fourth and has its uses. Crossups are going across the opponent from the front to the back, while they are usually in a shield.

Also: Many attacks only will hit your opponent once, so once it hits their shield (nair) its over. That's why dair is so good. Fulljump it over them with your feet ticking away at their shield and if you really want, throw in a bair at them before you land. Pure win.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Thanks Gea. DAir really does make sense for that, and I've actually used it plenty for that purpose now that I think a bit more about it. Even works against Luigi's sliding. and to ask about fulljumping it for that purpose, wouldn't that only work on taller characters? I fulljump DAir to whatever quite often due to it being a safe approach, but I've never tried using it for a crossup. Thanks again.

Part of my reasoning for UAir being good for this was that in case you still land in front of them due to them sliding back (I fight Luigi often...) you would still be able to react before them. That doesn't really make it good for crossups though I'd suppose. XD

Gea

Smash Master
In all honestly playing on Luigi's shield isn't worth it to me. <.< I play a Luigi all the time as well and they just slide away. I just nair through them or start the jabbing, and usually it winds up being a range war with downsmash and ftilt.

But yeah you do it so you dair coming down and you finish before you hit the ground so you can double aerial. You don't HAVE to do that but they certainly can't grab you out of it that way.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
and what a disadvantageous range war that is. I could rant/ramble about that matchup all day, but I shall resist.

Yep, DAir double aerials are sexy, and should be implemented by every Mario player at least some. Seriously.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Full hop dair - falling bair ftw them. I can't explain my shield pressuring antics without like a giant thesis, so im gonna pass this one up lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Got a question. I find approaching marth nearly impossible as mario. When I finally catch him, I can't keep him in the combo because of his f-air breaking everything. How should I go about murdering this pretty boy?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Get familiar with his range, first. When you're up against Marth, you really have no choice except to run away and remain outside of tipper range until you find a decent opportunity to get inside. . .which is hard, of course, since his tipper range keeps you out, and his grab range makes close-range pressure kind of risky.

Also, as you realized, you can't combo Marth. Ever. You're much better off relying on very short 2-hit combos (or the like), because reliably combo'ing Marth isn't an option due to his DI + f-air. Stuff like b-air -> turned around jab -> d-smash is good enough if you can land the b-air in the first place. Or grab -> d-throw -> sex kick. The thing is, keep it short, or else you run the risk of eating unnecessary hits.

Really, the only thing you can do is just be super-evasive. Learn his range, and avoid his spacing hits as much as possible (i.e. wavedashing, shielding, spot-dodging, dash-dancing, rolling), all of which aid in being evasive. Look for openings, take advantage of them, land a (very short) combo, pull out before Marth can combo-break it, and rinse-lather-repeat. Not a good matchup for Mario.

DI and edgeteching is also critical in the matchup, btw. Eating consecutive f-airs or getting combo'd into a tippered f-smash should never happen so long as you DI properly. And edgeteching makes Marth's edgeguarding a little more tolerable.

Eggz should have more comprehensive advice. I actually don't do well in the Marth matchup in general. I just switch to Falcon as my standard strategy. >_>

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I don't know how to play against Sheiks. I can't seem to approach them very well (even though dairs are sometimes really effective) nor can I seem to combo them with shffled upairs (Probably is my fault).

I guess my question is how best to approach Sheiks and how to combo them.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Shiek has a weird weight so comboing her just takes a little adapting to it. You've got the right idea with approach with d-airs. I find b-airs work pretty nicely too. And make sure you edgeguard her to death, her recovery is so friggin predictable.

Thanks for the help Maelstrom, that'll help tremendously. Besides Mario being difficult to combo himself in that match-up, does Mario have any advantages?

Eggz

Smash Hero
Also, I forgot to ask what to do after the chaingrabs on Sheik. Should I go for an uptilt to uparis or should I just nair/finish after the chaingrabs? Thanks Matador. :D
Do dthrow fsmash. It works up to very high percents, and usually the shiek will **** up their DI because they think your gonna CG more.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I figure it depends on the percentage. If you might be able to score a KO with that n-air, by all means take the shot. If not, your alternative is prolly u-tilt to some u-airs like you said. I'm sure this prolly won't be going thru your head at the time, but you get what I'm saying. I know bacon fills my mind during CGing....mmm

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Thanks you two. I will try these against Moogle next time.

I will definitely come back here if I need more Mario advice.

I am guessing that FD is the best level for Mario against Sheik right?

Edit: I don't even know why I am asking this since I am pretty sure this is the right answer. I just need to know without a doubt because I hate facing Sheiks.

Edit: Thanks again, Matador.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Avoid any stage with platforms at all costs. Yeah, FD is fine. Leaves plenty of room for CGing and gives you some room to avoid that U-air that so many shieks spam.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I gots another question. I can do the wall jump after up-B thingy consistently, but I can't find a practical use for it. Is it worth the risk of possibly missing the frames and falling to the grave or is there some simple utilization that I'm overlooking?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Don't try to grab them from any aerial if he is constantly shining you when you try. Either Shield the whole thing and roll away, jc upsmash out of shield, sh out of shield to nair, etc. need to be varied. Just stop trying to grab him from l-canceled aerials. And try to learn to roll with the c-stick in this situation as this will help you successfully roll away from a Falco pillaring on your shield as well.

You can CG Fox, dthrow and dsmash/fsmash work well (or upsmash). Full jump pill to waveland approach can work, and it's very important to learn to **** Fox's recovery. That really can't be taught you just have to react to what you see, waveland off to bair, cape, ftilt angled down, running off bair into stage (stagespike), ledge hop bair, fsmash/dsmash, etc. are all great options for Doc's edgegaurd.

Most of this works as well for Mario (except for the full jump pill waveland, Mario's projectile doesn't go downward so it isn't as usefull).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I figure just B-air the crap outta her. That's what I'd do. Be sure to cut off movement with a fireball or two as well.

Eggz

Smash Hero
First get on the ledge. Now no matter what, she will have lag. If she goes for the ledge, shes dead.

So when she up-Bs, read where shes gonna go. She will either go above the ledge to fall back on it, or back onto the stage. If she goes back onto the stage, either fsmash or usmash her. if she tries to go back to the ledge, fsmash her.

Top Bottom