• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

Giggidax

Smash Ace
explain the walljump after upb glitch, or link me to a thread that discusses this. ive been in too many situations where this could have helped me get back up.

ive done it before but i cant really understand it. jus act like ur walljumping once mario's up-b has finished right?

Eggz

Smash Hero
You time the walljump though.

*Has to end on a flat surface
*Has to begin with you hugging the wall
*Press away at the peak of the jump

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Yea. Basically my question for the amount of times you need to press B for the maximum tornado move limit has been answered. Once I get my Mario known out there, the combo video will be just as good as Eggz. It'll be comin' up, soon.

"Blue Mario: Awakened" - A Mario Combo Video by DP (Coming Soon!!) :chuckle:

YangKang

Smash Apprentice
hey eggz could u actually make mario video tut. like how to get the wall of pain working step by step etc im sure many ppl would that help :D

YangKang

Smash Apprentice
i mean this non stop spamming of bairs getting the enemy from one edge to the other. about the videos uhm please gimpy help him :p i love ure boza if that helps :p

Assunder

Smash Rookie
I recently started using d-air a lot and its helping me win. But I haven't fought a Marth recently.
Does Mario's d-air have a higher priority than any of Marth's aerials? Also, does it have higher priority than Samus's sex kick?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
To whoever said that Mario can use his Wall of Pain to knock people across the stage, that's not really true. Mario's Wall of Pain is just plain weak compared to Purin's, mostly because his b-air's range and priority is pretty abysmal. It's also relatively easy to get around, compared to, say, Purin's WoP or DK's b-air spam, or similar aerial spam tactics.

And no, absolutely everything that Marth has will outrange Mario. Everything. As for Samus' sex kick, that depends. Obviously (since Samus' sex kick extends out in front of her) if you shffl a d-air in front of her and Samus does a sex kick, you'll lose out. The only time that the d-air will bet her sex kick is if you come from above, where her hitbox just doesn't reach. But if you're above her, Samus would be using u-air (which outprioritizes your d-air, btw).

Renth

Smash Hero
hey eggz could u actually make mario video tut. like how to get the wall of pain working step by step etc im sure many ppl would that help :D
I played one of my friends jiggz the other day he abuses wall of pain, jiggz WOP is wayy better than marios. Mario can get out back airs faster than jiggs can you just have to be smart, IMO that match is a ***** to win.

Eggz and Maelstrom218 are too good.
Long time no see Maelstrom how've you been?

Renth

Smash Hero
=] thanks.

I just kinda space forward smashes and fireball camp...or play as fox.
well, i have little to no jiggz experience except for whenever i play the guys from pittsburgh occasionally and it shows. I have no idea how to fight that match especially with Mario. i just tried to back air spam WOP it's faster than jiggs.. but no where as useful.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
its not a wall of pain, its not even a fence of pain (kirbys is fop) its just multiple back airs.

its not even close to the same thing haha

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Hey Renth, what's up. :laugh: I'm doing alright. . .I'm on a Smash hiatus right now, but once school ends, I'm getting back into it ASAP. I'll probably head over to PA during the summer if I can.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
How do you guys get around Mario's inability to KO? I try to Fsmash but I can't find the right times to do it. I guess after I learn to wavedash better it'll come more easily, but for right now I'll have to stick with comboing and caping my opponents for KOs.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Well, what you said is the answer. Essentially, you have to hit the opponent as much as possible until one of your lesser-knockback moves (sex kick and d-smash, primarily) can do the trick and net the KO. Just combo the hell out of them until they're at an obscenely high %.

Or alternatively, you can just edgeguard the heck out of them. Mario's edgeguarding game compensates for his inability to KO (sort of), so get them off the stage as often as possible, and keep them there.

Varying your edgeguarding helps a lot in making it more effective--down-angled f-smash, cape and off-the-stage b-airs are your standard stuff; down-angled f-tilt, d-tilt, off-the-stage sex kicks/delayed b-airs/up-bs, and shffl'd f-airs are less orthodox and can often throw off opponents.

Renth

Smash Hero
Hey Renth, what's up. :laugh: I'm doing alright. . .I'm on a Smash hiatus right now, but once school ends, I'm getting back into it ASAP. I'll probably head over to PA during the summer if I can.
You definately need to come see me, it's been a long time since i've seen you man.

Sorry for the spam guys i haven't seen maelstrom in ... like half a year. Guess i should say something semi-productive.....

Eggz and Maelstrom know their shizz :laugh:

Eggz

Smash Hero
I enjoy spam, feel free. =D

I basically run these boards anyway...>_>;

*logs onto Silent Wolf's account and stickies some threads*

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, what you said is the answer. Essentially, you have to hit the opponent as much as possible until one of your lesser-knockback moves (sex kick and d-smash, primarily) can do the trick and net the KO. Just combo the hell out of them until they're at an obscenely high %.

Or alternatively, you can just edgeguard the heck out of them. Mario's edgeguarding game compensates for his inability to KO (sort of), so get them off the stage as often as possible, and keep them there.

Varying your edgeguarding helps a lot in making it more effective--down-angled f-smash, cape and off-the-stage b-airs are your standard stuff; down-angled f-tilt, d-tilt, off-the-stage sex kicks/delayed b-airs/up-bs, and shffl'd f-airs are less orthodox and can often throw off opponents.
Okay thanks. I did a few things you suggested with Mario today and it worked. I caped while edgeguarding for 2 easy kills and one the last KO I f-aired the guy off the stage, he meteor cancelled too late and fell to his doom :laugh: .

I tried grabbing and b-throwing and it seems to work extremely well on fast fallers, they flew low so I could edgeguard them better.

I'll try out the advice I didn't use yet next time.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Haha then how can i be almost half as awesome as either of you guys, it just isn't fair i feel like I'll never reach the pinnacle of cool

and I've watched every video of the Fonz that i own :(

Smash Journeyman
im eggz master he was too once my apprentice. then i taught hi the way to a true mario master:laugh:

and if you play your cards right you could be next.

Eggz

Smash Hero
=] Thanks.

4th in 1v1s
8-0 in my pool
3rd in 2v2s

We did 8 5 person pools, where top 2 in each advance. 3 of those pools had 6 people btw.

So after pools, we had a 16 man bracket, which I took fourth in. =D

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
=] Thanks.

4th in 1v1s
8-0 in my pool
3rd in 2v2s

We did 8 5 person pools, where top 2 in each advance. 3 of those pools had 6 people btw.

So after pools, we had a 16 man bracket, which I took fourth in. =D
You really do have an underrated Mario IMO

I assume you teamed with Gimpy during the 2v2s or am i mistaken?

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Sorry to change ya'll's subject, Eggz. But.....Did you know about the wall jump at the very tip edge of the stage on Pokemon Stadium? I just recently did it, but it's just as hard as walljumping off the tip of FD.....If you been found out about that, then it's my fault for being soooo late...:(

Eggz

Smash Hero
I teamed with Ka. He's basically my brother XD

No, I didn't know you could up-b walljump at PS. Good find.

General tips for new Mario: Do the combos and get the basic techs down? XD

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'm not good in teams lol

ka-master and eggz = awesome team, they should get like... new team strategies though... so you guys can like... win every time i guess... i hate teams lol so boring

Top Bottom