• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hey This is for both eggz and maelstorm.. do you think picking up a mario would be a good secondary to my boozer... As in do you think he counters things that my boozer couldn't.. not in the form of countering a char obv since boozer doesn't counter anyone haha but i just mean do you think that would be a good change to run in a tournament, going from power to a combo happy mario?

Eggz

Smash Hero
Maelstrom is a genius. Shielddashes are mah fave.

I'm pretty sure no matter who you pick up is a good secondary. Mario loses vs Shiek, Samus, Jiggz, Falco, and Fox like bowser does, but he loses alot less. Its also much less of ****. So uhhh yes. Counterpick Falcon with it?

mario-man

Smash Lord
What do you mean is Eggz really gone??
If you're referring to the ban, notice it doesn't say "Banned" under his name so he's back.

He's gone. Good thing too.
That fat lazy spammer deserved what he got, and quit mario while he was at it. what a failure.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Silent wolf, you are going to scare someone off with your so called "jokes".
I personally don't think it's very funny to exploit the n00bs knowledge, and gullability.

Wait, he's not a noob is he. But compared to you, he is, but I'm even more of one just not at all gullable. (not saying he is, but don't abuse your intimidation on us Journeymen)

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
That fat lazy spammer deserved what he got, and quit mario while he was at it. what a failure.

Scav, you are going to scare someone off with your so called "jokes".
I personally don't think it's very funny to exploit the n00bs knowledge, and gullability.

Wait, he's not a noob is he. But compared to you, he is, but I'm even more of one just not at all gullable. (not saying he is, but don't abuse your intimidation on us Journeymen)

JumpMan_Punk

Smash Journeyman
I hope this a good question to ask... I'm a devoted mario user and I second a doc . I would Like to know what would be a good counter pick character for me to use against sheik, falco,marth?

Since Mario is terrible against Sheik, use Falco. Marth isn't good vs Sheik, but Doc can be alright, but Falco is your best bet out of those characters.

Eggz

Smash Hero

Assunder

Smash Rookie
I've been starting to do more combos with Mario, but once I do my down throw and start to u-tilt once I pull of one u-tilt my opponents DI away from me and end my combo. Any tips on how to keep my combo going once they DI away from me?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Like all combos, it depends on the percentage, character weight/floatiness and DI.

If they DI far away enough to the point where u-tilt won't reach, you can either opt for jump-cancelled u-smash or shffl'd u-airs--but be sure that you can reach them in time. If they're too close to the ground (i.e. they'll hit the ground and tech before you can land an u-smash/u-air) then you usually opt for the jump-cancelled grab.

Otherwise, if you're extremely worried that you can't catch them before they land, you can always wait for the tech/techroll and techchase that way.

Also, be aware that some characters love to f-air/sex kick right before they land to stop impending juggling (namely, Luigi, Marth, Peach, a few others). In these cases, you really want to think about whether or not you want to risk eating a sex kick in the face as opposed to continuing a combo. . .you can always dashdance away/wavedash back to evade the n-air and dash in again. Or other stuff like that, since this situation usually forces you to restart your combo options.

Eggz

Smash Hero
DI away > Mario.

Once all of WA started smash DIing my combos, I got sad. T_T Now I have to use unorthodox ones. D-air ftw. XD

If they DI away from your utilt, chances are since you arn't doc you can safely follow up with an uair chain. Other than that, like Maelstrom said, you may have to just reset your combo options. D=

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Ok there when I was playing mario with my friend yesterday I was about to do a sweet spot up b on the ledge of FD when my up b stuck in the wall(like near the edge not the bottom where normally you get stuck with everyone).There I found what the **** is that stupid glitch I found you can control your up b like roy.I have tested the normal up b on the stage its goes almost perfect verticaly but when you smash the up b left or right you can get a 4 or 5 cm on the left or right.(I think everyone know that)

But here is the thing I found out .Here is my theorie When you do that smash up b left or right and hold it and you try to sweepspot the ledge on the left or right on the bottom part of FD ledge (where normally you can sweetspot and grab the ledge with a normal up b) you cannot do the sweet spot,you stuck in the wall,you reach a lower high and you fall to a certain death.

If semone can confirm its because of that I was stuck in the ledge from my sweet spot and cannot go highter compared to a normal up b I would be happy.

Oh and lol sorry for my bad syntaxe in english :) hope you gonna be able to read lol

And ya i will be happy to help some other mario player Im a relatively new player of mario(2 month)but ive play doc for 1 years so i know some good **** about the little mario and his jab/grab/uair/bair game :)

Eggz

Smash Hero
I don't know what you said exactly...LoL...but

If you were trying to say that the extended up b gains less height, yes. That's true. XD

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I've had a few questions for a while now... lets see if I can remember them all.

Does mario's U-air ever need to be l-cancelled when done while rising/at the height of a short-hop? In my experience he has the regular landing animation even when Fast-Falled; but I just want to be sure.

What is the best basic strategy against someone that spams (or semi-spams, to be fair...) the CC D-smash with almost every character they use? ... Especially the floaties like Luigi and Peach.

And that's all I can think of for now, thanks in advance for the help.

silversh4d0w

Smash Apprentice
You marios should seriously start to incorperate down b into your combos. It really works.

Trick -> waveland d+b > up b + cape = for SURE counter against most fast fallers and light characters, including peach and roy.

Now you know!

Eggz

Smash Hero
I've even managed to kill Silv with a down B combo before. That was good stuff. IT WAS EVEN RECORDED!

Edit: Oh, and Ben. THE trick, or just a trick into waveland?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha i think he meant THE trick into wavedash, or maybe somehow edge cancel trick into double jump cancelled waveland?

i dunno, good stuff though the down b kill was amazing.

God Link

Smash Cadet
I am also a Mario player and have one question for Eggz. Do you use the a button for aerials, or the c-stick? If you use the a button can you tell me how to practice Uair. I tend to tap up to hard on accident and do a double jump. I am a A button user but only use c-stick for Uair and Dair. Can you help me?

lazyGenius

Smash Rookie
hey im an arizona mario player i would like to know of any tournaments are in the area that could get me and my clan some attention any suggestions?

shadydentist

Smash Lord
lazygenius: my only suggestion is to look in the forum that has the word 'tournament' in the title. Or perhaps regional zones.

Hey eggz, whats your advice against ice climbers? I can't really find a good way to separate them, and I find myself using d-air a lot to approach.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Priority is a combination of range and startup speed, among other things. In that respect, d-air tends to have overwhelming priority over lots of moves, hence why some people use it for approaches or combo-breaking. It has relatively quick startup time, and an absolutely huge hitbox. It's probably by far Mario's highest-priority move.

Blessed

Smash Rookie
A small qeustion for both Eggz and Mealstrom.

I've been experimenting with D-air by dash-jump short hopping it on waking and rolling opponents. Is it better if I try to follow it up with a f-tilt or a throw?

Assunder

Smash Rookie
Is it absolutely necessary to shffl Mario's AUA when comboing? I find it much easier to shorthop it and then fastfall without L-canceling to reset my position to continue my combo.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Is it absolutely neccesary to shffl Mario's AUA when comboing? I find it much easier to shorthop it and then fastfall to reset my position to continue my combo.
Err Shffl is the ability to fastfall it and then land on the ground into an L-cancel, if you are talking about chaining them together in the air, personally i say you might as well then fastfall to the ground L-cancel your last U-air jump up immediently and then jump back up and combo them, i think your mixing your terms up

Eggz

Smash Hero
Is it absolutely necessary to shffl Mario's AUA when comboing? I find it much easier to shorthop it and then fastfall without L-canceling to reset my position to continue my combo.
You mean do you have to L cancel? No, its not neccesary. You autocancel before you hit the ground so you can just land and do another.

A small qeustion for both Eggz and Mealstrom.

I've been experimenting with D-air by dash-jump short hopping it on waking and rolling opponents. Is it better if I try to follow it up with a f-tilt or a throw?
I'd say a grab or a smash would be better. D-air doesn't really do much as a techchase. Maybe even f-air or utilt?

lazygenius: my only suggestion is to look in the forum that has the word 'tournament' in the title. Or perhaps regional zones.

Hey eggz, whats your advice against ice climbers? I can't really find a good way to separate them, and I find myself using d-air a lot to approach.
Counterpick them or experience horrible boredom.

Top Bottom