• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just as fast as ****ing possible.

Doing a perfect rising Tornado as far as I'm concerned is impossible. I mean one that actually makes you gain height. But you can at least get a tiny bit of distance from rising Tornado as long as you save double jump before it.

I think you have to be able to mash 14 inputs in a second to be able to get an optimal rising Tornado. On average, I think most players can do about 10-11.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i think lugi downB needs at least 14 to gain any height, right?
14 inputs is how Luigi gets MAX height. But he actually doesn't have to tap that fast to gain a little height or break even.

yes it is

I've tried it with the index finger and it's not worth it
I'm pretty sure that optimal mashing is all in the wrist. Doesn't matter which finger you use, but you need the strength of your wrist to back up extremely fast mashing.

And just for fun, check this out if you want to try your luck at mashing. http://sky1.sky.com/speed-clicking

I could get 100 taps in 10 seconds using my labtop rather than my mouse. That's 10 inputs a second or 1 button press about every 6 frames. I know for a fact that my mashing isn't fast enough for optimal Tornado recovery. =(

How people can do 14 inputs a second is beyond me. I mean Ka-Master seems to know the secret behind it.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
is there a more direct way to challenge fox? I'm kind of tired of the 'sit and wait' thing I got going

he just seems too smooth when it comes to those platforms

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I feel like mario vs fox is better for marios that have very good intermediate mind games (empty jumps, fireball approach, runaway tactics, etc)

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
Right as you reach the height of Mario's up+b, press away

if you wait too long he'll just fall, do it too early and he'll just fall

a little less than a second if you want timing wise

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What's the timing for up+b -> walljump?
It's a 4 frame window if I recall. Not actually hard to hit. Just watch that video of the guy who does it multiple times on Fourside to give you an idea how it works.

The PROBLEM is that you have to make sure you're touching the wall first before you Up-B. This is the part that took me forever to figure out.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
j3ly, I'm just going to assume that was a compliment. If you honestly think I'm white and nerdy, then I'm happy with that. I'll be doing what I can to get to that M2K status.

j3ly

Smash Champion
yea sure A2 is was a compliment!

clearly...

nah im not black lol pretty white boy

MasterShake

Smash Lord
It's a 4 frame window if I recall. Not actually hard to hit. Just watch that video of the guy who does it multiple times on Fourside to give you an idea how it works.

The PROBLEM is that you have to make sure you're touching the wall first before you Up-B. This is the part that took me forever to figure out.
Which legal stages is this practical on? I can do it on Yoshi's only pretty much, I guess it can be done on FoD if you're being edgehogged? And are you sure that you have to be touching when you start? I could've sworn when I was experimenting the other day that I could do it from various distances, but the timing was weird and a lot stricter (if I'm touching the stage I can do it pretty much 100%).

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
this place sound like the old backroom with all these black picture rofl

Ive try countless time on FD even edgehogged it dosnt seem to work.......Ive seen a CPU doing it tough lawl but maybe it was a tech so I dont recall exactly CPU does random weird stuff near the ledge on FD sometimes

I guess its pretty much only on yoshi story and maybe on FOD belo the stage if you get knocked down below the *bowl* you can do the zomfg recover with mario up B walljump tornado against the wall upb sweetspot lol ive done it only once since its kinda hard to do lol kina look like the recovery from ylink. i keep thinking hard but theres no other stage legal that you can upbwalljump on

To sum it up if I recall when I practiced this glitch you Need 1 flat/Precise angled surface like in the adventure mode first stage at start(best place to pratice the timing imo)
2 Up b near the surface theres a distance you need to respect but you dont need to be perfectly hugging the wall when you start the up b if you dont you need to DI toward the surface before pressing away because like Roy doc and other up B like marios you can somehwat get a little direction out of it thats why the timing seem to fail when you are not hugging the wall but its doable without hugging it as long you are touching the wall you get to a certain part of the up B( I dont really know when but ive tested it theres a frame in the up b that when you pass it you cannot walljump afterward if your not touching the surface...even if you do touch after. Trust me Ive praticed this one for weeks lol

Only thing I need verification is when you DI your Upb Im wondering if you get more Frame for the up b so that would changed the timing for the walljump like Roy upb when you DI his it takes more frame to do...a little but well for mario walljump I guess it could change the timing a lot

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I dont really know when but ive tested it theres a frame in the up b that when you pass it you cannot walljump afterward if your not touching the surface...even if you do touch after.
Ah! This is what I was looking for. I knew there was some dumb frame **** with that lol.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
ive done it on FD by mistake against Dablackpacman and got ***** cause i didnt expect it.... Yoshis is the only place i really feel comfortable doing this upB glitch thingy

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Which legal stages is this practical on? I can do it on Yoshi's only pretty much, I guess it can be done on FoD if you're being edgehogged? And are you sure that you have to be touching when you start? I could've sworn when I was experimenting the other day that I could do it from various distances, but the timing was weird and a lot stricter (if I'm touching the stage I can do it pretty much 100%).
It's impractically hard to do on FD. Best on Yoshis. Might be possible on FoD but impractically hard.

I can't remember if it's possible on Pokemon Stadium, but at any rate the ONLY stage you should really be trying to do this as a practical means of recovery is Yoshis, which has the long vertical wall that you can hug so that you can initiate this trick.

On FD and FoD, you should learn the wall jump off ledge AT. This occurs when you grab the edge while being in contact with a wall that you can wall jump off of. This gives you the option of ledgehop B-air.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
On FD and FoD, you should learn the wall jump off ledge AT. This occurs when you grab the edge while being in contact with a wall that you can wall jump off of. This gives you the option of ledgehop B-air.

You mean that you can wallup directly after pressing away from the ledge Ive did it a couple time by error trying to ledgehdrop something but If you can tell me if theres a method to do it it would be a practical thing for edgeguard as you are not wasting a jump

Top Bottom