• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amaterasu, Now is the time. We have never needed your power more: Amaterasu for SSB Ultimate

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You could simply represent other weapons in the game by delegating them into her normals (I imagine the glaive in particular would likely be her smash attacks). Imo weapon switching would fit a lot more as a gimmick for someone like Dante.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Right, yes, but I don't see why Ammy's main mechanic should be weapon swapping - not in terms of hitting down-B and getting new normal attacks. I mean, yes, there are multiple weapons in Okami, and you can swap between them. But the same is true of, like, Link or Samus or Bayonetta or Byleth. Changing my weapons is never something I did more than once during any fight in the game, so deciding that's the cool thing about the game that has to be represented in as much detail as possible doesn't make sense to me.

Also, just taking three brush techniques and putting them on the other specials would be intensely lame. The entire appeal of the Celestial Brush is how it turns a massive list of Zelda items (that you'd normally have to dig through the pause screen for) into things you just do in two seconds. "Side B = Power Slash, Up B = Vine" misses the point of that.
The reason why I initially thought a weapon swap might not be a bad idea was because each weapon represents an element. Reflector is fire, Rosary is Ice, Glaive is Lightning. By connecting the weapon with an opponent through the celestial brush you create a trail of fire, Ice, or lightning. They can give the fire, ice, and lightning different properties such as freezing or stunning.

Drawing anything in one stroke that doesn't require the brush to be picked up such as a line or a circle wouldn't be a problem but, because you can't stop time in Smash like you can in Okami, some of the more complex brush techniques will have to be command inputs.

Amaterasu has so many things she can do weapon swapping doesn't have to be dedicated to down-B (which might also work for the cherry bomb). Now that characters are using Shield+B as a move (Inkling and Steve). I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for Amaterasu to have a Sheild+B weapon swap.

You could simply represent other weapons in the game by delegating them into her normals (I imagine the glaive in particular would likely be her smash attacks). Imo weapon switching would fit a lot more as a gimmick for someone like Dante.
You mean a similar procedure to Byleth? e.g. Side Smash Glaive, Down tilt Rosary, Neutral air reflector. Yeah, that's not a bad idea either. I just want to see all 3 weapons used.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
The reason why I initially thought a weapon swap might not be a bad idea was because each weapon represents an element. Reflector is fire, Rosary is Ice, Glaive is Lightning. By connecting the weapon with an opponent through the celestial brush you create a trail of fire, Ice, or lightning. They can give the fire, ice, and lightning different properties such as freezing or stunning.

Drawing anything in one stroke that doesn't require the brush to be picked up such as a line or a circle wouldn't be a problem but, because you can't stop time in Smash like you can in Okami, some of the more complex brush techniques will have to be command inputs.

Amaterasu has so many things she can do weapon swapping doesn't have to be dedicated to down-B (which might also work for the cherry bomb). Now that characters are using Shield+B as a move (Inkling and Steve). I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for Amaterasu to have a Sheild+B weapon swap.

You mean a similar procedure to Byleth? e.g. Side Smash Glaive, Down tilt Rosary, Neutral air reflector. Yeah, that's not a bad idea either. I just want to see all 3 weapons used.
Right, but that's only the case for the ultimate weapons in the game, and I don't think it makes sense to give her anything other than Divine Retribution, the Devout Beads, and Tsumugari, at least in her default costume.

Also, you obviously shouldn't be able to stop the opponent, but I don't see much harm in making Ammy slow down while she's using the Brush. She could continue doing whatever attack she was already doing, which would give her at least a little protection.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah! Amaterasu is definitely going to be that final character. Sakurai is trying to pull a bait an switch on us with the Dante Mii outfit (and I suppose the Monster Hunter and Arthur Mii outfits but that was because of the games' release date being near). It's Heihachi all over again! Capcom been supporting the game and now it's their turn with Amaterasu up front.

Right, but that's only the case for the ultimate weapons in the game, and I don't think it makes sense to give her anything other than Divine Retribution, the Devout Beads, and Tsumugari, at least in her default costume.

Also, you obviously shouldn't be able to stop the opponent, but I don't see much harm in making Ammy slow down while she's using the Brush. She could continue doing whatever attack she was already doing, which would give her at least a little protection.
I'm going to agree with XenothiumX here. Anything more than a single brush stroke isn't going to go well in a fighting game but, one solution is they can do is what they did with Hero and have a pull up menu Amaterasu can choose from for stuff like deluge, Ice storm, whirlwind, fireburst, thunderbolt.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I'm going to agree with XenothiumX here. Anything more than a single brush stroke isn't going to go well in a fighting game but, one solution is they can do is what they did with Hero and have a pull up menu Amaterasu can choose from for stuff like deluge, Ice storm, whirlwind, fireburst, thunderbolt.
Hero pulls up a menu because Dragon Quest is a turn-based RPG wherein you select your attacks from a menu. I'll be honest: reading things off of a menu is not particularly suited for a fighting game either, but it works for Hero because the entire character is built around the traditional RPG mechanics Dragon Quest pioneered.

Amaterasu is not built around traditional RPG mechanics. You don't select your brush techniques from a menu, you draw them on the screen. All the resonance is gone and it just feels clunky.

Not to mention that if you're going to have a move where you move a cursor around to perform a wide variety of potential attacks while your character is standing there potentially vulnerable... why not just do the brush?

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
Hero pulls up a menu because Dragon Quest is a turn-based RPG wherein you select your attacks from a menu. I'll be honest: reading things off of a menu is not particularly suited for a fighting game either, but it works for Hero because the entire character is built around the traditional RPG mechanics Dragon Quest pioneered.

Amaterasu is not built around traditional RPG mechanics. You don't select your brush techniques from a menu, you draw them on the screen. All the resonance is gone and it just feels clunky.

Not to mention that if you're going to have a move where you move a cursor around to perform a wide variety of potential attacks while your character is standing there potentially vulnerable... why not just do the brush?
I get what you're saying the menu was just a suggestion.

The problem with any symbol that requires more than one stroke is that you have to release a button and repress the same button which would register as a new action in a fighting game. It worked in Okami because the action required you to hold on button to bring up the celestial brush (which froze time) and another button to press and lift the brush if you needed to draw anything greater than one stroke.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 didn't even bother attempting giving Ammy any brush to screen options. Everything just ended up being a command input which is probably what Smash is going to end up doing.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying the menu was just a suggestion.

The problem with any symbol that requires more than one stroke is that you have to release a button and repress the same button which would register as a new action in a fighting game. It worked in Okami because the action required you to hold on button to bring up the celestial brush (which froze time) and another button to press and lift the brush if you needed to draw anything greater than one stroke.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 didn't even bother attempting giving Ammy any brush to screen options. Everything just ended up being a command input which is probably what Smash is going to end up doing.
You could just hit B to bring up the brush, A to draw, and then B to activate whatever you drew. I don't think it's that much of an issue.

WestyStigga

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the club!
Thanks man!
The great thing about Amaterasu is they don't even need to pull much from MvC3 to make her work if anything at all. Everything she needs is right there in the original source material from her own game, Okami.

Not like Phoenix Wright. When it comes to Phoenix Wright people just suggest to take what he has in MvC3 and bring it all over to Smash as if it would fit in a 1 to 1 ratio. If Sakurai did that it would be disappointing. Mega man borrowed just one move from MvC2 because he had plenty of original source material of his own and he turned out great.

Amaterasu fits better in Smash because she wouldn't have to borrow too much if anything at all from MvC3 just like Mega Man. The fact that she can use vines as a tether recovery goes to show her moveset practically writes itself. Not many character come with a built in recovery which requires Sakurai having to do some more thinking like with Kazuya being able to transform into a devil with wings. Not having a recovery was practically the reason why Heihachi couldn't get in Smash.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Iiiit's becoming apparent that I have a different idea of what Amaterasu's moveset should be like than the rest of y'all. Mostly because I think taking the four easiest-to-implement Brush Techniques and putting them on her B buttons would be an interminably lame waste of the Brush. So maybe I ought to post what I think her moveset should be like.

Amaterasu is an aggressive, combo-oriented fighter. She's noticeably more agile on the ground than in the air, though not at all to Little Mac levels.

Her moves see her using the three types of Divine Instrument: a Reflector (a shield that flies like a close-range boomerang), a Rosary (a chain of beads she uses as a whip), and a Glaive (a big sword). The specific weapons of each type will actually change with each alt costume. After you perform a move with a certain weapon, that weapon will remain on her back until she uses another one, similar to how Pit works.

-- NEUTRAL SPECIAL: CELESTIAL BRUSH --

This is a little unconventional, but I want to begin with her specials. Specifically her neutral special, Celestial Brush. It's somewhat key to her gameplan, after all.

Upon hitting the B button, you'll lose control of Amaterasu, and instead control a brush with cursor-like movement. By holding A, you can draw on the screen. If you draw one of many specific patterns, you'll cause something to happen that depends on the pattern (called a Celestial Brush Technique). We'll go over all the CBTs... er, maybe we shouldn't call them that. We'll go over all the CB techniques later, but there's some details of this move I want to go over.

Above Ammy's damage meter are three ink pots. These serve as a cooldown for her Celestial Brush techniques. Each technique will expend one to three pots, which Ammy will gradually recover over time.

Earlier, I stated that you'll lose control of Amaterasu, but what exactly does that entail? Well, in Ōkami, time stopped completely while using the Brush, but that'd be crazy in a fighting game. Here, Amaterasu goes into slow-motion and sepia tone while using the Brush. If you use it in the middle of an attack, she'll still complete the move while you're drawing.

I went into this with the philosophy that if the Brush can do it in Ōkami, it'll do something in this game. I don't want Ōkami fans to have to remember which techniques are included. They should just do them the same way they've been doing 'em, even if they don't work the same way. The full list of techniques are:

• SUNRISE: Draw a circle in the sky. Costs 2 pots of ink. The sun will remain in the sky for about twelve seconds. While it's there, all character's defense is increased. This will also change the time of day on Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Gaur Plain, Minecraft World, Smashville, and Town and City.
  • REJUVENATION: Fill in a missing or destroyed part of the stage. Costs 1 pot of ink. The missing element will come back. Works on basically any stage where things go away.
  • POWER SLASH: Draw a horizontal line across at least one damageable object. Costs 1 pot of ink. This creates a slashing attack with high knockback. It's one of your go-to moves, and is good for ending canvas combos.
  • BLOOM: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a circle around a character. Costs 2 pots of ink. For about twelve seconds, that character's speed will be increased.
  • TREE SEED: Sub-technique of Bloom, a sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw dots on the ground. Costs 1 pot of ink. They'll sprout into trees that knock enemies upward, and stick around as brief (but easily-destroyed) walls.
  • WILDFLOWER: Sub-technique of Bloom, a sub-technique of Greensprout. Scribble on the ground. Costs 0 pots of ink. Wildflowers will sprout. Doesn't actually do anything.
  • WATER LILY: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a circle on the water. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a temporary platform on top of the water.
  • VINE: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a line from a ledge to a character. Costs 2 pots of ink. That character will be pulled toward the ledge by a vine.
  • CHERRY BOMB: Draw a circle with a line coming out of the top. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a bomb that rolls around. Attacking it will cause it to fly around like a crate. It will eventually explode. Unlike in Ōkami, it'll hurt Ammy.
  • WATERSPOUT: Draw a line from water or water-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting water counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The water will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Inferno, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard.
  • DELUGE: Sub-technique of Waterspout. Draw two vertical lines. Costs 2 pots of ink. Creates rain that causes a minor downward windbox, harming recovery attempts. Also starts the rain on Distant Planet.
  • FOUNTAIN: Sub-technique of Waterspout. Draw a swirl around a Mermaid Spring. It's too bad there aren't any of those in the game...
  • CRESCENT: Draw a curved arc in the sky. Costs 2 pots of ink. The moon will remain in the sky for about twelve seconds. While it's there, all character's offense is increased. This will also change the time of day on Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Gaur Plain, Minecraft World, Smashville, and Town and City.
  • GALESTORM: Draw a swirling loop or spiral. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a gust of wind in the direction and location of the brushstroke (spirals count as up). This makes a windbox that can aid or harm recoveries.
  • WHIRLWIND: Sub-technique of Galestorm. Draw three horizontal lines. Costs 2 pots of ink. Creates a small tornado around Amaterasu, which sends opponents up and does significant damage. Drawing the lines longer will make the attack more powerful but shorter.
  • INFERNO: Draw a line from fire or fire-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting fire counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The fire will move along the path you drew, and will drag enemies along it if it hits them (though it'll always do the same amount of damage and end by knocking them at the same angle). Similar to Waterspout, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard.
  • FIREBURST: Sub-technique of Inferno. Draw a lemniscate (∞). Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons a big ball of fire that does significant damage.
  • VEIL OF MIST: Draw two horizontal lines. Costs all 3 pots of ink. Slows down time for two seconds. Because of its cost, you can't use the Celestial Brush during this time.
  • MIST WARP: Sub-technique of Veil of Mist. Draw an X on an Ultimate Origin Mirror. It's too bad there aren't any of those in the game...
  • CATWALK: Scribble on a wall. Costs 1 pot of ink. For about 12 seconds, Amaterasu becomes able to cling to that wall like Sheik (among others) can. Probably not that useful.
  • THUNDERSTORM: Draw a line from electricity or electricity-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting electricity counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The electricity will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Waterspout, Inferno, and Blizzard.
  • THUNDERBOLT: Sub-technique of Thunderstorm. Draw a vertical zigzag. Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons significantly-damaging lighting.
  • BLIZZARD: Draw a line from ice or ice-based hitboxes. Only damaging ice or frozen opponents count. Costs 1 pot of ink. The ice will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Waterspout, Inferno, and Blizzard.
  • ICESTORM: Sub-technique of Blizzard. Draw an X with a line through it. Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons damaging, freezing shards of ice.

Wow, that's a lot!

Anyway, if there's only one Ammy in a match, the ink is black and the effect on Ammy is sepia-toned, like in Ōkami. If there's multiple, however, these effects will instead match the player color. P1 gets red ink, P2 gets blue, P3 gets yellow, P4 gets green, et cetera. This is just a visibility thing.

Oh, yeah! Since this is all a neutral special, Kirby can do all this stuff too! His ink is a pale rainbow color, and his copy hat gives him the coloration and markings of a Celestial Brush God.

-- SIDE SPECIAL: TSUMUGARI --

Compared to her monstrously complicated neutral special, her other specials are quite simple. She uses her Glaive (Tsumugari in her default costume) for a chargeable dash attack. In the air, she actually rides Tsumugari downward at an angle! The charge will continue while using the Celestial Brush, so you can use Icestorm (for example) to keep your opponent busy while you charge it.

-- UP SPECIAL: DEVOUT BEADS --

This move is an eight-directional recovery move that uses Amaterasu's Rosary (the Devout Beads in her default costume). It's a tether recovery, but it's actually not very effective - it's more useful as an attack than anything. Ammy's better off using Vine if she can spare the ink.

-- DOWN SPECIAL: DIVINE RETRIBUTION --

For this move, Ammy spins her Reflector (Divine Retribution in her default costume) in front of her. If an attack or projectile hits it, there'll be a great deal of freeze frames before Ammy retaliates or reflects it respectively. Yes, this is a counter move, don't kill me.

However, this move serves a greater purpose than just being "the thing the Reflector does". Waterspout, Inferno, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard require you to use specific elemental hitboxes. And yes, they're all basically identical to effectively give the same attack more things to activate it with, but even so, how are you supposed to catch Roy's sword or a Water Shuriken with your brush? That's where this move comes in. You can use the large amount of freeze frames on this attack to activate the Celestial Brush and draw a line from whatever it is that hit you.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man!

The great thing about Amaterasu is they don't even need to pull much from MvC3 to make her work if anything at all. Everything she needs is right there in the original source material from her own game, Okami.

Not like Phoenix Wright. When it comes to Phoenix Wright people just suggest to take what he has in MvC3 and bring it all over to Smash as if it would fit in a 1 to 1 ratio. If Sakurai did that it would be disappointing. Mega man borrowed just one move from MvC2 because he had plenty of original source material of his own and he turned out great.

Amaterasu fits better in Smash because she wouldn't have to borrow too much if anything at all from MvC3 just like Mega Man. The fact that she can use vines as a tether recovery goes to show her moveset practically writes itself. Not many character come with a build in recovery with requires Sakurai having to do some more thinking like with Kamiya being able to transform into a devil. Not having a recovery was practically the reason why Heihachi couldn't get in Smash.
Disagree. Sakurai has worked with less than Phoenix Wright before, EG Duck Hunt and Game & Watch. I also doubt they'd just base it off the Marvel VS Capcom moveset, they're more creative than that. People just bring that up to disprove the idea that making him a fighter is impossible.

WestyStigga

Smash Rookie
Iiiit's becoming apparent that I have a different idea of what Amaterasu's moveset should be like than the rest of y'all. Mostly because I think taking the four easiest-to-implement Brush Techniques and putting them on her B buttons would be an interminably lame waste of the Brush. So maybe I ought to post what I think her moveset should be like.

Amaterasu is an aggressive, combo-oriented fighter. She's noticeably more agile on the ground than in the air, though not at all to Little Mac levels.

Her moves see her using the three types of Divine Instrument: a Reflector (a shield that flies like a close-range boomerang), a Rosary (a chain of beads she uses as a whip), and a Glaive (a big sword). The specific weapons of each type will actually change with each alt costume. After you perform a move with a certain weapon, that weapon will remain on her back until she uses another one, similar to how Pit works.

This is a little unconventional, but I want to begin with her specials. Specifically her neutral special, Celestial Brush. It's somewhat key to her gameplan, after all.

Upon hitting the B button, you'll lose control of Amaterasu, and instead control a brush with cursor-like movement. By holding A, you can draw on the screen. If you draw one of many specific patterns, you'll cause something to happen that depends on the pattern (called a Celestial Brush Technique). We'll go over all the CBTs... er, maybe we shouldn't call them that. We'll go over all the CB techniques later, but there's some details of this move I want to go over.

Above Ammy's damage meter are three ink pots. These serve as a cooldown for her Celestial Brush techniques. Each technique will expend one to three pots, which Ammy will gradually recover over time.

Earlier, I stated that you'll lose control of Amaterasu, but what exactly does that entail? Well, in Ōkami, time stopped completely while using the Brush, but that'd be crazy in a fighting game. Here, Amaterasu goes into slow-motion and sepia tone while using the Brush. If you use it in the middle of an attack, she'll still complete the move while you're drawing.

I went into this with the philosophy that if the Brush can do it in Ōkami, it'll do something in this game. I don't want Ōkami fans to have to remember which techniques are included. They should just do them the same way they've been doing 'em, even if they don't work the same way. The full list of techniques are:

• SUNRISE: Draw a circle in the sky. Costs 2 pots of ink. The sun will remain in the sky for about twelve seconds. While it's there, all character's defense is increased. This will also change the time of day on Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Gaur Plain, Minecraft World, Smashville, and Town and City.
  • REJUVENATION: Fill in a missing or destroyed part of the stage. Costs 1 pot of ink. The missing element will come back. Works on basically any stage where things go away.
  • POWER SLASH: Draw a horizontal line across at least one damageable object. Costs 1 pot of ink. This creates a slashing attack with high knockback. It's one of your go-to moves, and is good for ending canvas combos.
  • BLOOM: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a circle around a character. Costs 2 pots of ink. For about twelve seconds, that character's speed will be increased.
  • TREE SEED: Sub-technique of Bloom, a sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw dots on the ground. Costs 1 pot of ink. They'll sprout into trees that knock enemies upward, and stick around as brief (but easily-destroyed) walls.
  • WILDFLOWER: Sub-technique of Bloom, a sub-technique of Greensprout. Scribble on the ground. Costs 0 pots of ink. Wildflowers will sprout. Doesn't actually do anything.
  • WATER LILY: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a circle on the water. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a temporary platform on top of the water.
  • VINE: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a line from a ledge to a character. Costs 2 pots of ink. That character will be pulled toward the ledge by a vine.
  • CHERRY BOMB: Draw a circle with a line coming out of the top. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a bomb that rolls around. Attacking it will cause it to fly around like a crate. It will eventually explode. Unlike in Ōkami, it'll hurt Ammy.
  • WATERSPOUT: Draw a line from water or water-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting water counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The water will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Inferno, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard.
  • DELUGE: Sub-technique of Waterspout. Draw two vertical lines. Costs 2 pots of ink. Creates rain that causes a minor downward windbox, harming recovery attempts. Also starts the rain on Distant Planet.
  • FOUNTAIN: Sub-technique of Waterspout. Draw a swirl around a Mermaid Spring. It's too bad there aren't any of those in the game...
  • CRESCENT: Draw a curved arc in the sky. Costs 2 pots of ink. The moon will remain in the sky for about twelve seconds. While it's there, all character's offense is increased. This will also change the time of day on Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Gaur Plain, Minecraft World, Smashville, and Town and City.
  • GALESTORM: Draw a swirling loop or spiral. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a gust of wind in the direction and location of the brushstroke (spirals count as up). This makes a windbox that can aid or harm recoveries.
  • WHIRLWIND: Sub-technique of Galestorm. Draw three horizontal lines. Costs 2 pots of ink. Creates a small tornado around Amaterasu, which sends opponents up and does significant damage. Drawing the lines longer will make the attack more powerful but shorter.
  • INFERNO: Draw a line from fire or fire-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting fire counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The fire will move along the path you drew, and will drag enemies along it if it hits them (though it'll always do the same amount of damage and end by knocking them at the same angle). Similar to Waterspout, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard.
  • FIREBURST: Sub-technique of Inferno. Draw a lemniscate (∞). Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons a big ball of fire that does significant damage.
  • VEIL OF MIST: Draw two horizontal lines. Costs all 3 pots of ink. Slows down time for two seconds. Because of its cost, you can't use the Celestial Brush during this time.
  • MIST WARP: Sub-technique of Veil of Mist. Draw an X on an Ultimate Origin Mirror. It's too bad there aren't any of those in the game...
  • CATWALK: Scribble on a wall. Costs 1 pot of ink. For about 12 seconds, Amaterasu becomes able to cling to that wall like Sheik (among others) can. Probably not that useful.
  • THUNDERSTORM: Draw a line from electricity or electricity-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting electricity counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The electricity will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Waterspout, Inferno, and Blizzard.
  • THUNDERBOLT: Sub-technique of Thunderstorm. Draw a vertical zigzag. Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons significantly-damaging lighting.
  • BLIZZARD: Draw a line from ice or ice-based hitboxes. Only damaging ice or frozen opponents count. Costs 1 pot of ink. The ice will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Waterspout, Inferno, and Blizzard.
  • ICESTORM: Sub-technique of Blizzard. Draw an X with a line through it. Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons damaging, freezing shards of ice.

Wow, that's a lot!

Anyway, if there's only one Ammy in a match, the ink is black and the effect on Ammy is sepia-toned, like in Ōkami. If there's multiple, however, these effects will instead match the player color. P1 gets red ink, P2 gets blue, P3 gets yellow, P4 gets green, et cetera. This is just a visibility thing.

Oh, yeah! Since this is all a neutral special, Kirby can do all this stuff too! His ink is a pale rainbow color, and his copy hat gives him the coloration and markings of a Celestial Brush God.

Compared to her monstrously complicated neutral special, her other specials are quite simple. She uses her Glaive (Tsumugari in her default costume) for a chargeable dash attack. In the air, she actually rides Tsumugari downward at an angle! The charge will continue while using the Celestial Brush, so you can use Icestorm (for example) to keep your opponent busy while you charge it.

This move is an eight-directional recovery move that uses Amaterasu's Rosary (the Devout Beads in her default costume). It's a tether recovery, but it's actually not very effective - it's more useful as an attack than anything. Ammy's better off using Vine if she can spare the ink.

For this move, Ammy spins her Reflector (Divine Retribution in her default costume) in front of her. If an attack or projectile hits it, there'll be a great deal of freeze frames before Ammy retaliates or reflects it respectively. Yes, this is a counter move, don't kill me.

However, this move serves a greater purpose than just being "the thing the Reflector does". Waterspout, Inferno, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard require you to use specific elemental hitboxes. And yes, they're all basically identical to effectively give the same attack more things to activate it with, but even so, how are you supposed to catch Roy's sword or a Water Shuriken with your brush? That's where this move comes in. You can use the large amount of freeze frames on this attack to activate the Celestial Brush and draw a line from whatever it is that hit you.
Ya see! it all makes itself. Ahemtoday pretty much had to cram everything and the kitchen sink to get it all to fit! And it plays nothing like how she plays in MvC3. The sheer fact everybody's got their view of how Amaterasu would play out goes to show the possibilities are endless and plenty of leeway for Sakurai to implement her.

Disagree. Sakurai has worked with less than Phoenix Wright before, EG Duck Hunt and Game & Watch. I also doubt they'd just base it off the Marvel VS Capcom moveset, they're more creative than that. People just bring that up to disprove the idea that making him a fighter is impossible.
Then tell your Phoenix Wright fans to stop basing their concepts around MvC3 because it's giving people the wrong idea.

around the 2:12 mark "Normally I try to avoid using games outside of the character's main source material to make these movesets but this time around I will be making an exception mainly because MvC3 did such a great job at interpreting "Nick" (Phoenix) into the fighting game setting. And trying to be different just for the sake of doing so would be dumb"

BrawlFan1 isn't the only content creator basing his moveset on MvC3 it goes well beyond him.

Anyway, Amaterasu is the more realizable of the two. Could Sakurai choose Phoenix? Sure, but why when Capcom provides low hanging fruit in the form of Amaterasu?

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
One of these days, I ought to put together a moveset for Phoenix. I wouldn't call the MVC one bad, and it has a couple fun moves I wouldn't have found on my own (like the paper animation and sneeze animation being attacks), but overall it makes some choices that I think are a little odd (like the evidence energy projectiles, Missile being there, no Magatama), and I think Smash could do better on that front.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

Wow, that's a lot!

I feel there could be a compromised reached between using the celestial brush to give Ammy some more moves and recreating one of the main gimmicks of Okami while keeping some more conventional stuff tied to a normal special move input (like the vine as a recovery move, they could maybe tie the brush technique for a grab or something). I do feel representing every single brush would be more cumbersome than it's worth for devs and players to keep in mind, like cat walk or lily pad, I know it's moreso for the sake of giving characters those extra details that make Smash that more special, but they're so situational and likely complex to implement that I wonder how much they'd think the payoff is worth it.
As for Phoenix, I'm really not a fan of his MvsC3 moveset, I think it has one cool basis for him using evidence as part of his attacks, which is how I envision he'd play in Smash if he were to get in, but the evidence gathering, mode switching and pursuit comeback? Nah, not stuff I feel needs to be part of his Smash incarnation.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet

Wow, that's a lot!

It works I suppose but, assuming this is the direction Sakurai goes with the moveset I'd hope the hitbox's from the attacks would be big enough to reward the risk of sitting on battlefield like a sitting duck. The only other possible big issue with using the celestial brush this way is if it can be compatible with the game's engine. To my knowledge we never got a straight answer as to why the inkling didn't make it into Smash 4 DLC but, there were rumors that the ink mechanic didn't fit the Smash 4 engine and so the idea was scrapped and had to wait for Ultimate in order to have a new engine built to be compatible with it.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I have a hard time believing a Resident Evil character, Monster Hunter, and Dante were all chucked for Phoenix Wright. Especially if everything was planned before Ultimate's release. Dante and Amaterasu were the two who would fit most naturally in Smash out of Capcom's line up. Even more so than Resident Evil or Monster Hunter which is why I wasn't too surprised to see them eliminated earlier on but, when Dante bit the bullet, everything's now pointing to Amaterasu.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Amaterasu is one of my most wanted characters and I am hoping that there is still a chance for her to be in the game. Considering the recent hits with Dante and MH however, I think that Ammy's chances are variable especially with there already being 2.5 Capcom characters in the game. Of course, there doesn't seem to be a limit for how many characters a third party can have represented, but who knows really. I'm just saying that due to Megaman, Ryu, and Ken already being present along with big characters like Dante and MH getting Mii costumes makes me think that Ammy has a pretty low chance. I hope I am wrong though.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Amaterasu is one of my most wanted characters and I am hoping that there is still a chance for her to be in the game. Considering the recent hits with Dante and MH however, I think that Ammy's chances are variable especially with there already being 2.5 Capcom characters in the game. Of course, there doesn't seem to be a limit for how many characters a third party can have represented, but who knows really. I'm just saying that due to Megaman, Ryu, and Ken already being present along with big characters like Dante and MH getting Mii costumes makes me think that Ammy has a pretty low chance. I hope I am wrong though.
Yeah, we've yet to see a 3rd party company break the no more than 3 character rule but, this fighter's pass has broken a lot of rules formerly set by fans. We didn't think Square and Microsoft would get 2 characters each for DLC or any 3rd party franchise getting 2 non-Echo fighters until Sephiroth. If Nintendo wanted to treat each third party fairly Bamco, Microsoft and SNK, would all have 3 reps. Bamco definitely got the short end of the stick by getting only 2 reps and if any company deserves another rep is Bamco for Co-developing the game.

The way I look at it though is Capcom is the only returning 3rd party company left to get a character from a new IP in Ultimate. If there's any company that can break the 3 rep rule with a 4th character it's Capcom because they're second to Nintendo in number of IP's. I mean, they stacked up there characters early by getting 2 entries in Smash 4. Every character that was in Amaterasu's way is eliminated With possibly the minor exception of Phoenix Wright. Amaterasu has always been overlooked but, now you can't help but look at her as a glaring omission.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I've been on the Ammy hype train since Ultimate was first announced. It's insane how much quality content she would bring to this game (a watercolor/ink wash painting-styled stage alone would be incredible, and Smash really does need another quadruped fighter) and it kind of kills me that the odds are very much stacked against her getting in now.

A lot of my most-wanteds could at least be implemented as Mii costumes, but there's no good way to do so for Ammy (please don't decapitate our sun goddess and turn her into a Chocobo-esque hat). But I tried my hand at making a more humanoid version of her in the style of the other human characters from Okami.

Not sure if it turned out all that great, but...I mean, hey, it helps keep the faith until FP11 is finally announced haha.

2021071313222700_s (2).jpg

Top Bottom