• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amaterasu, Now is the time. We have never needed your power more: Amaterasu for SSB Ultimate

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Amaterasu will most likely be one of the later characters.

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I'd put it as an understatement if I were to say that Amaterasu has been by far my most wanted character for Smash ever since I started playing Okami back in 2019 (nearly 2 years ago what the heck).

She has everything going for her in terms of what she can bring to the table: a unique moveset utilizing Divine Instruments, the Celestial Brush, and possibly even the Godhood mechanic; a beautiful artstyle that makes for some of the most visually appealing stage options based off Japanese ink-wash paintings(If she does get in I'm hoping the Ark of Yamato is her stage); a godlike (get it?) soundtrack that's uniquely Japanese (or Ainu for the Kamui soundtrack). She'd be one of the most unique newcomers in all aspects of her representation.

Is she a lock for DLC? Oh heck no! She definitely has her hurdles, ranging from her series's niche nature to tough competition with Capcom's other possible picks (although I definitely wouldn't be against Dante or Phoenix tho). Regardless, she still has a chance and so long as that is fact, I'll be supporting her to the very end!

Here's some art I made in support of her inclusion in like an hour or something in Clip Studio and Photoshop:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'd put it as an understatement if I were to say that Amaterasu has been by far my most wanted character for Smash ever since I started playing Okami back in 2019 (nearly 2 years ago what the heck).

She has everything going for her in terms of what she can bring to the table: a unique moveset utilizing Divine Instruments, the Celestial Brush, and possibly even the Godhood mechanic; a beautiful artstyle that makes for some of the most visually appealing stage options based off Japanese ink-wash paintings(If she does get in I'm hoping the Ark of Yamato is her stage); a godlike (get it?) soundtrack that's uniquely Japanese (or Ainu for the Kamui soundtrack). She'd be one of the most unique newcomers in all aspects of her representation.

Is she a lock for DLC? Oh heck no! She definitely has her hurdles, ranging from her series's niche nature to tough competition with Capcom's other possible picks (although I definitely wouldn't be against Dante or Phoenix tho). Regardless, she still has a chance and so long as that is fact, I'll be supporting her to the very end!

Here's some art I made in support of her inclusion in like an hour or something in Clip Studio and Photoshop:
That is very nice artwork

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet
Don’t know if it’s real but there’s a leak that has got almost all the characters from fighters pass 1 and 2 right except for min min, and Amaterasu is on that list

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
MH costumes seem to be back. And with an Arthur mii costume to boot, now that concerns me more about a Capcom characters chances.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy 15th Anniversary to Okami!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Happy 15th Anniversary to Okami!

Good to see it celebrated

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Just dropping by to show support for Ammy! I wasn't able to play Okami until the HD version on Switch last year, but by the time I finally beat it, it became one of my all-time favorite games! I don't think I've ever played a more visually-interesting game in my life. I loved the game's gameplay, music and sense of humor as well. I would love to see Ammy come to Smash, even though a part of me feels like she isn't likely. She was easily one of my favorite additions to Marvel vs Capcom 3, and I'd love to see Ammy fight against the biggest names in gaming in the greatest video game crossover of all time!

Here's hoping the goddess blesses us with her appearance 🙏

volbound1700

Smash Master
Amaterasu would be an amazing character with an amazing moveset (kind of like Prince Fluff from Kirby Epic Yarn), but I don't see it happening :(. I loved Okami, it was a great and unique game.

Three characters that I would love to see in Smash but they don't have a chance are:

1. Amaterasu
2. Prince Fluff
3. Epic Mickey (Or Oswald).

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Welp, Dante's now a Mii Costume, which thins out Capcom competition.

But then again, wouldn't he have been with a Capcom rep? My already low hope for Amaterasu has dropped a bit further from this.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Welp, Dante's now a Mii Costume, which thins out Capcom competition.

But then again, wouldn't he have been with a Capcom rep? My already low hope for Amaterasu has dropped a bit further from this.
well, we did get Heihachis costume before Kazuyas announcement, so I wouldn't count out a Capcom rep entirely. But yeah, I can't say this speaks out on Capcom being super likely to end things up.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Capcom is the last returning major 3rd party company to not get a new IP character and Amaterasu is currently Capcom's frontrunner. Now is the time to get hyped!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Call this potentially a long shot but Sakurai did mention in the presentation that FP11 will take longer then usual to be revealed. The same happened with Steve because of how complex he was and I imagine Amaterasu's moveset animation especially being complex like Steve's.

One can certainly hope its her time to shrine. I'd be damn satisfied with her ending Ultimate.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Call this potentially a long shot but Sakurai did mention in the presentation that FP11 will take longer then usual to be revealed. The same happened with Steve because of how complex he was and I imagine Amaterasu's moveset animation especially being complex like Steve's.

One can certainly hope its her time to shrine. I'd be damn satisfied with her ending Ultimate.
Again, I reiterate. Sakurai stated in the pressentation it will be a while before the next reveal, not that it would take longer
1624926410101.png

He's most likely referring to a fall reveal/release, not November or the Game Awards

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree with MattX20. I think people are looking into the "It will take a while please be patient" statement a little too much. Usually, we get a Nintendo Direct around September. Last year was and exception because of the pandemic. Video Game awards are 6 months away. Even though a VGA reveal still falls under the 2021 deadline I doubt they need that much time. Besides, Nintendo's been consistent in giving a September direct. September is 3 months away which probably qualifies as what Sakurai refers to as "a while".

Anyway, I also agree in the notion that Amaterasu would have a complex moveset since she would most likely be using the Reflector, Glaive, and Rosary Beads. The fact that she was able to switch between the 3 weapons in MvC3 made her one of the more challenging characters to use.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Anyway, I also agree in the notion that Amaterasu would have a complex moveset since she would most likely be using the Reflector, Glaive, and Rosary Beads. The fact that she was able to switch between the 3 weapons in MvC3 made her one of the more challenging characters to use.
I think the Celestial Brush would be what makes her complex more than anything. I do not expect a similar stance-switching mechanic for her in Smash.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I think the Celestial Brush would be what makes her complex more than anything. I do not expect a similar stance-switching mechanic for her in Smash.
The Celestial Brush would probably be delegated to her special moves. The Weapon swap works for A button attacks because you can change up speed for power or reach.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
The Celestial Brush would probably be delegated to her special moves. The Weapon swap works for A button attacks because you can change up speed for power or reach.
Right, yes, but I don't see why Ammy's main mechanic should be weapon swapping - not in terms of hitting down-B and getting new normal attacks. I mean, yes, there are multiple weapons in Okami, and you can swap between them. But the same is true of, like, Link or Samus or Bayonetta or Byleth. Changing my weapons is never something I did more than once during any fight in the game, so deciding that's the cool thing about the game that has to be represented in as much detail as possible doesn't make sense to me.

Also, just taking three brush techniques and putting them on the other specials would be intensely lame. The entire appeal of the Celestial Brush is how it turns a massive list of Zelda items (that you'd normally have to dig through the pause screen for) into things you just do in two seconds. "Side B = Power Slash, Up B = Vine" misses the point of that.

Top Bottom