• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amaterasu, Now is the time. We have never needed your power more: Amaterasu for SSB Ultimate

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Everyone, the 5th fighter will either be coming next week or at The Game Awards. So far a lot of characters for the 5th spot has been disconfirmed. But not Ammy she still has a chance. Right now, she has to face off against Sora, Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars), and her biggest challenge yet Phoenix Wright from Capcom; just to name a few. Sure the character is already chosen but we still a chance.

If anyone is still following this thread, or had followed, then don't lose hope. There's a chance that she could be our next fighter, and if not then we still have a whole new fighter pass to go. It may be difficult, but don't lose faith.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I won't hold my breath but I'm open to a pleasant surprise, not like I can be mad with a Phoenix reveal when I'm just as much of a supporter for him for our next Capcom rep (or Dante for that matter but that's apparently dead for F5). Not that Sora or Sakura make me feel remotely nervous on them being next to be perfectly honest.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I'm rooting for both Ammy and Wright right now. I'd be fine with either of them making it as the next fighter, though i'm inclined to support Amaterasu more as an underdog pick. Hope she makes it!

Ornl

Smash Ace
Everyone, the 5th fighter will either be coming next week or at The Game Awards. So far a lot of characters for the 5th spot has been disconfirmed. But not Ammy she still has a chance. Right now, she has to face off against Sora, Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars), and her biggest challenge yet Phoenix Wright from Capcom; just to name a few. Sure the character is already chosen but we still a chance.

If anyone is still following this thread, or had followed, then don't lose hope. There's a chance that she could be our next fighter, and if not then we still have a whole new fighter pass to go. It may be difficult, but don't lose faith.
I think that Sora has never been a possible option for Ultimate. What is certain is that he won't be the 5th Fighter, this would make no sense, after all this time since the release of KH3. I don't think that the Fighter Pass starts with a Sega rep, then ends with a Sega rep. Can Phoenix Wright really be a Fighter in Smash Bros, in front of Monster Hunter ? In my opinion, the answer is no: "if Bomberman is an Assist Trophy, Frogger won't be a Fighter". The game Okami 2 isn't ready yet, so Amaterasu would arrive too early. Amaterasu is the choice I prefer. But her release shouldn't be too far from the the new game release.

I also don't forget that, according to Papageno, Capcom would have been contacted in February 2019 to integrate Jill after the FP, but that she would have been refused. This means that there certainly wouldn't be a Capcom rep in the first Fighter Pass.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Can Phoenix Wright really be a Fighter in Smash Bros, in front of Monster Hunter ? In my opinion, the answer is no: "if Bomberman is an Assist Trophy, Frogger won't be a Fighter".
If a non fighter like Villager can be integrated I don't see how Phoenix couldn't be either. The biggest issue he'd have is that most of the action in AA is narrated, so we don't see Phoenix in action much, but I do believe UMvsC3 gives a good basic idea of what he could do (much as I might not like his moveset in that game), and it's not like characters like Ice Climbers, ROB or Duck Hunt gave much to work with either, Captain Falcon is probably the worst offender in this regard as all he does is drive the blue falcon in F-Zero.
As for the MH part, I believe it's been said before that the MH devs would rather have the monsters take part of crossovers and not the hunters, I've also heard they weren't happy about the characters inclusion in MvsCI, but I haven't read anything official on that so I wouldn't hold it to much weight.
I also don't forget that, according to Papageno, Capcom would have been contacted in February 2019 to integrate Jill after the FP, but that she would have been refused. This means that there certainly wouldn't be a Capcom rep in the first Fighter Pass.
This is entirely irrelevant as I find the random addition of the likeliest RE reps into the spirit boards to be pretty damning to their case, far more than any source of Papagenos. You can believe a spirit doesn't mean much for a characters chances, but if they had any plans for a character to be added, I doubt they'd just make a spirit events out of the blur like that and not save it for a future DLC spirit board or something.
Capcom isn't guaranteed for fighter 5, but there's not much holding them back from having one of their characters be part of it either, moreso if sabi/vergeben are to be believed.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If a non fighter like Villager can be integrated I don't see how Phoenix couldn't be either. The biggest issue he'd have is that most of the action in AA is narrated, so we don't see Phoenix in action much, but I do believe UMvsC3 gives a good basic idea of what he could do (much as I might not like his moveset in that game), and it's not like characters like Ice Climbers, ROB or Duck Hunt gave much to work with either, Captain Falcon is probably the worst offender in this regard as all he does is drive the blue falcon in F-Zero.
As for the MH part, I believe it's been said before that the MH devs would rather have the monsters take part of crossovers and not the hunters, I've also heard they weren't happy about the characters inclusion in MvsCI, but I haven't read anything official on that so I wouldn't hold it to much weight.

This is entirely irrelevant as I find the random addition of the likeliest RE reps into the spirit boards to be pretty damning to their case, far more than any source of Papagenos. You can believe a spirit doesn't mean much for a characters chances, but if they had any plans for a character to be added, I doubt they'd just make a spirit events out of the blur like that and not save it for a future DLC spirit board or something.
Capcom isn't guaranteed for fighter 5, but there's not much holding them back from having one of their characters be part of it either, moreso if sabi/vergeben are to be believed.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ornl

Smash Ace
1/ If a non fighter like Villager can be integrated I don't see how Phoenix couldn't be either. The biggest issue he'd have is that most of the action in AA is narrated, so we don't see Phoenix in action much, but I do believe UMvsC3 gives a good basic idea of what he could do (much as I might not like his moveset in that game), and it's not like characters like Ice Climbers, ROB or Duck Hunt gave much to work with either, Captain Falcon is probably the worst offender in this regard as all he does is drive the blue falcon in F-Zero.

2/ As for the MH part, I believe it's been said before that the MH devs would rather have the monsters take part of crossovers and not the hunters, I've also heard they weren't happy about the characters inclusion in MvsCI, but I haven't read anything official on that so I wouldn't hold it to much weight.

3/ This is entirely irrelevant as I find the random addition of the likeliest RE reps into the spirit boards to be pretty damning to their case, far more than any source of Papagenos. You can believe a spirit doesn't mean much for a characters chances, but if they had any plans for a character to be added, I doubt they'd just make a spirit events out of the blur like that and not save it for a future DLC spirit board or something.
1/ It wasn't my argument. I didn't mention the gameplay.
2/ It isn't because such person has refused Monster Hunter or Resident Evil that it would take a smaller series. Ace Attorney has really a lower importance.
3/ If the Spirits of all companies were clues, then Ezio, Farmer, and Hayabusa would also be the next DLC.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
1/ It wasn't my argument. I didn't mention the gameplay.
If your argument wasn't that Phoenix can't be a newcomer because he doesn't fight (which is debatable as there's at least a few instances where he had to defend himself from being beat up from what I remember), then I'm sorry, but I got no clue what you're even trying to get at as to why Phoenix can't happen.
2/ It isn't because such person has refused Monster Hunter or Resident Evil that it would take a smaller series. Ace Attorney has really a lower importance.
Megaman and Street Fighter sell nowhere near as much as RE or MH, hell, the franchises total sales are lower than both despite having a million more releases, yet :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: are in, with no playable Leon, Jill or MH in sight. Before, I'd have agreed that MH and RE are likelier to get in than Phoenix, but with the current circumstances in mind, they feel out of the running for a newcomer (with MH being more debatable on this matter but eh, you won't make me sway in their favour at this point). And by your point, Phoenix is likelier than Amaterasu, because his franchise has been far more active and performed better financially.
3/ If the Spirits of all companies were clues, then Ezio, Farmer, and Hayabusa would also be the next DLC.
When did I say this? I said RE chances seem completely dead after they were turned into spirits, not that a Capcom newcomer was being teased after their addition. At most, I'd say that it's strange neither sabi or verge went out of their way to confirm whether a Capcom rep is entirely out of the running or not with how much buzz they've been generating lately, they just said no RE or Dante for fighter 5, with the specific rumor about Phoenix being squashed, but not him as fighter 5 in its entirety.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
1+2/ If your argument wasn't that Phoenix can't be a newcomer because he doesn't fight (which is debatable as there's at least a few instances where he had to defend himself from being beat up from what I remember), then I'm sorry, but I got no clue what you're even trying to get at as to why Phoenix can't happen.

Megaman and Street Fighter sell nowhere near as much as RE or MH, hell, the franchises total sales are lower than both despite having a million more releases, yet :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: are in, with no playable Leon, Jill or MH in sight. Before, I'd have agreed that MH and RE are likelier to get in than Phoenix, but with the current circumstances in mind, they feel out of the running for a newcomer (with MH being more debatable on this matter but eh, you won't make me sway in their favour at this point). And by your point, Phoenix is likelier than Amaterasu, because his franchise has been far more active and performed better financially.
In my opinion, popularity is more important than anything. According to Google Trends in the world, Resident Evil > Monster Hunter > Street Fighter > Megaman > Devil May Cry > Ace Attorney > Okami. Capcom no longer needs another rep since Bayonetta replaced Devil May Cry and since Monster Hunter as a Assist Trophee.
However, Okami should be treated differently, because it is only a main game, which had a great distinctive success by Famitsu readers :
- 4th in this top 20 action games by readers. Okami was the Top 1 Capcom.
- 17th in this top 100 games by readers. Okami was the Top 1 Capcom.
- 19th in this top 20 games by overseas readers. Okami was the Top 2 Capcom after Monster Hunter.
- 5th in this top 20 games released from January 1989 to May 2019. Okami is the Top 1 Capcom.
Okami has a specific status. I think it's the only one who can come to Smash before the other Capcom rep.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
In my opinion, popularity is more important than anything. According to Google Trends in the world, Resident Evil > Monster Hunter > Street Fighter > Megaman > Devil May Cry > Ace Attorney > Okami. Capcom no longer needs another rep since Bayonetta replaced Devil May Cry and since Monster Hunter as a Assist Trophee.
However, Okami should be treated differently, because it is only a main game, which had a great distinctive success by Famitsu readers :
- 4th in this top 20 action games by readers. Okami was the Top 1 Capcom.
- 17th in this top 100 games by readers. Okami was the Top 1 Capcom.
- 19th in this top 20 games by overseas readers. Okami was the Top 2 Capcom after Monster Hunter.
- 5th in this top 20 games released from January 1989 to May 2019. Okami is the Top 1 Capcom.
Okami has a specific status. I think it's the only one who can come to Smash before the other Capcom rep.
I agree that popularity is an important subject when debating, but your argument breaks down when you say Okami is a singular entry franchise when it has a follow up, your links aren't even about the games commercial success, it's mostly fan reception, strictly from a japanese magazine at that, I don't see how that's even remotely relevant to a characters chances in Smash. Otherwise, we'd likely have Leon at this point given how big RE4 was at the time and the RE2 remake is right now (both critically acclaimed games that sold a lot, one that influenced an entire generation of 3rd person action games), or Crono for a Square rep given its top spot at the heisei era ranks. I don't really see how any of this takes away that in the grand scheme of things, Ace Attorney is a bigger franchise than Okami, and with MM and SF already in the game, RE and MH very likely disconfirmed and Dante being apparently a no go for fighter 5, Phoenix is the likeliest looking for a new Capcom rep, it even has the most ties to Nintendo as every main game came out first on a Nintendo handheld, for whatever that's worth. This whole referencing a magazine poll results as to how liked a game is doesn't really cut it for me to consider Ammy likelier than Phoenix and some sort of exception to whatever popularity rule we might apply (fickle as that is). For the record, I'll repeat I like the idea of Phoenix and Ammy in Smash about the same, I really have no preference on who gets in first, I'll be happy if Capcom actually gets a character I can actually care about, but with current sales data and that Okamis only activity for nearly a decade being re-releasing the same game (which granted is what AA been doing post SoJ in 2016, but that's a much smaller timegap) and the Okami sequel likely being super early in development, I see no reason why I'd consider her likelier than Phoenix right now (who I don't even consider a lock for fighter 5 anyhow).
It's also frankly ridiculous to say Bayonetta replaced DMC when Dante wouldn't play similarly even if he just stuck to Rebellion and E&I, it's like saying Link covers the adventure genre so Ammy can't get in. Besides that, you know, Capcom has nothing to do with the Bayonetta franchise last time I checked.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Popularity within the Capcom hierarchy aside, Amaterasu as a character always struck me as checking so many ideal boxes for Smash. A unique visual design from a game with distinctive art style, with an already proven moveset from her game (& MvC3), and an identity (sun goddess in the form of a quadripedal wolf) unlike virtually any other fighter. That's not even getting into the great potential for songs, the likely gorgeous stage from so many Okami settings, and natural inclusions for spirits.

Moreover, I think she is well known enough to be a delight to many people, but still niche enough that her inclusion would be a genuine surprise at the same time. As much as I'd like Phoenix, I think she's an even more natural fit for Smash than he is.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Unfortunately, the niche part is a double edged sword, as many people will just go "who?" and whine on it being a bad addition (and this applies to Phoenix too for the record), but I'll also hold Smash fans accountable for playing very little outside of Nintendo games as this seems to be a complain with almost every 3rd party added.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
During the Terry showcase Sakurai acknowledged the fact that Terry is not a well known character, but stated that the most important feature is if a character is fun to play.

I'll admit I migrated over here after the mass deconfirmation massacre. While we're not guaranteed a Capcom rep, at least they are still on the table because they haven't gotten a new IP in Smash since Smash 4.

I picked Amaterasu over Phoenix Wright because I think Ammy would be more fun to play.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yes, but Terry is also the face of SNK, he's not the most popular character in videogames, but he certainly is the most recognizable face from his brethen in the SNK-verse (outside of maybe Metal Slug).
You could honestly make an entire fighter pass out of Capcom characters and I don't think many people would be mad, as far as 3rd parties go, they probably have the most impressive lineups of IPs.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
I agree that popularity is an important subject when debating, but your argument breaks down when you say Okami is a singular entry franchise when it has a follow up, your links aren't even about the games commercial success, it's mostly fan reception, strictly from a japanese magazine at that, I don't see how that's even remotely relevant to a characters chances in Smash. Otherwise, we'd likely have Leon at this point given how big RE4 was at the time and the RE2 remake is right now (both critically acclaimed games that sold a lot, one that influenced an entire generation of 3rd person action games), or Crono for a Square rep given its top spot at the heisei era ranks. I don't really see how any of this takes away that in the grand scheme of things, Ace Attorney is a bigger franchise than Okami, and with MM and SF already in the game, RE and MH very likely disconfirmed and Dante being apparently a no go for fighter 5, Phoenix is the likeliest looking for a new Capcom rep, it even has the most ties to Nintendo as every main game came out first on a Nintendo handheld, for whatever that's worth. This whole referencing a magazine poll results as to how liked a game is doesn't really cut it for me to consider Ammy likelier than Phoenix and some sort of exception to whatever popularity rule we might apply (fickle as that is). For the record, I'll repeat I like the idea of Phoenix and Ammy in Smash about the same, I really have no preference on who gets in first, I'll be happy if Capcom actually gets a character I can actually care about, but with current sales data and that Okamis only activity for nearly a decade being re-releasing the same game (which granted is what AA been doing post SoJ in 2016, but that's a much smaller timegap) and the Okami sequel likely being super early in development, I see no reason why I'd consider her likelier than Phoenix right now (who I don't even consider a lock for fighter 5 anyhow).
It's also frankly ridiculous to say Bayonetta replaced DMC when Dante wouldn't play similarly even if he just stuck to Rebellion and E&I, it's like saying Link covers the adventure genre so Ammy can't get in. Besides that, you know, Capcom has nothing to do with the Bayonetta franchise last time I checked.
- Proportionately, the average sales of Ace Attorney games aren't higher than Okami games.
- Famitsu isn't just any magazine, it's a magazine for which Sakurai works be-weekly. Since 2016, readers have been putting forward Final Fanatsy, Megami Tensei / Persona and Dragon Quest series more than any other RPG (link).
- Bayonetta is comparable to Dante because they have the same creator from Capcom, and their games are beat them all with similar mature worlds, evolving with 2 stylish guns. She is the direct heritage of Dante.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Even though we're not guaranteed a Capcom character we're still missing some of the Capcom outfits which makes me think a Capcom rep is in the works.

Initially I was thinking we would get the Bamco character for #5 and then Capcom post fighters pass but, Vergeben says otherwise.

Phoenix, Wesker and, Dante could all be Mii outfits along with the returning monster hunter.

If Amaterasu is the final character I would consider this the best outcome.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Even though we're not guaranteed a Capcom character we're still missing some of the Capcom outfits which makes me think a Capcom rep is in the works.
After some of their costumes seemingly dropped at random with Banjo, with SEGA getting their missing Virtua Fighter costume with Terry, I don't think missing mii costumes mean anything anymore. They could drop with a related newcomer from their dev/publisher, or they could just come out with whoever.
- Proportionately, the average sales of Ace Attorney games aren't higher than Okami games.
This isn't the best of comparisons, as that'd put both Okami and AA above Megaman on sales average.
As for Dante vs Bayo, yes, their games are comparable, but I don't see how takes a hit on the other chances, when she was added last game and is from an entirely different dev. I don't see why they couldn't coexist in the same game just because their series are both stylish action games.
I'll stop replying after this post because there's obviously never going to be an agreement regarding the matter.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I've mentioned that Ammy kinda lives on in the form of the Wolf summoning from Astral Chain, but nothing beats the real deal.

Anyways... I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan (Ocarina of Time is pretty much the reason why I play videogames) and there's some similarities between Okami and Zelda as far as puzzle solving and exploration goes; the inspiration is apparent and I appreciate that. But Good Lord Okami is something special, too. People consider it one of the greatest games of all time, and for good reason. Everything about it is absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere, the sumi-e art style, the characters, the combat, etc. I love how nature is incorporated into the gameplay and the importance of it. The game is beautiful, endearing, and creative. It was truly something special.

I support. I saw P Kat's movelist and was like "I should join the Okami support group". That was super dope BTW.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
This isn't the best of comparisons, as that'd put both Okami and AA above Megaman on sales average.
Not by grouping the episodes published on several supports.
As for Dante vs Bayo, yes, their games are comparable, but I don't see how takes a hit on the other chances, when she was added last game and is from an entirely different dev. I don't see why they couldn't coexist in the same game just because their series are both stylish action games.
The director developer is the same. It's only his company that has changed. I say Smash Bros can do without Dante. But we will see better after the past.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
After some of their costumes seemingly dropped at random with Banjo, with SEGA getting their missing Virtua Fighter costume with Terry, I don't think missing mii costumes mean anything anymore. They could drop with a related newcomer from their dev/publisher, or they could just come out with whoever.
It's not just the Mii outfits but also the process of elimination that makes me think Capcom is next. I doubt we're getting a second Sega, Square Enix, Microsoft or SNK rep in the fighters pass. (Maybe post fighter's pass)

Because Capcom hasn't gotten a new IP and has some of their Mii's withheld they are still in the running.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's not just the Mii outfits but also the process of elimination that makes me think Capcom is next. I doubt we're getting a second Sega, Square Enix, Microsoft or SNK rep in the fighters pass. (Maybe post fighter's pass)

Because Capcom hasn't gotten a new IP and has some of their Mii's withheld they are still in the running.
don't get me wrong, I think Capcom is likely to get something next too, but it's definitely not because they have missing mii costumes.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
don't get me wrong, I think Capcom is likely to get something next too, but it's definitely not because they have missing mii costumes.
It's mostly because credible leakers deconfirmed almost all other options. The only possible alternatives now are either a company that already has a character in the Fighter Pass gets a second character or Fighter 5 is actually first-party.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's mostly because credible leakers deconfirmed almost all other options. The only possible alternatives now are either a company that already has a character in the Fighter Pass gets a second character or Fighter 5 is actually first-party.
I think this is only true if you decide to ignore western devs (which to be fair we have yet to see if Banjo was a special case or not, I personally don't think he is), as only Ubisoft has been given the no last time I checked, even then, some companies weren't flat out shot down by the leakers, in Koeis case, they just lost their likeliest candidate (Hayabusa). Unlikely as they are, I'd also say an Arc System Works rep isn't entirely off the table either (although adding yet another obscure fighting game character to close up the fighters pass would be unexpected, to say the least).
I wouldn't really put too much stock on the idea of a 1st party rep, or another SEGA/Square/SNK rep for fighter 5 (I'd say no more SNK in general given how they handled Terry myself), and I don't think they'd go for another Konami character after Bomberman was AT either. Capcom does look like the most logical choice, it's the company I've been thinking would close things up for a while (although this was before RE and Dante were disconfirmed), but it could also be someone else not many thought about.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I've mentioned that Ammy kinda lives on in the form of the Wolf summoning from Astral Chain, but nothing beats the real deal.

Anyways... I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan (Ocarina of Time is pretty much the reason why I play videogames) and there's some similarities between Okami and Zelda as far as puzzle solving and exploration goes; the inspiration is apparent and I appreciate that. But Good Lord Okami is something special, too. People consider it one of the greatest games of all time, and for good reason. Everything about it is absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere, the sumi-e art style, the characters, the combat, etc. I love how nature is incorporated into the gameplay and the importance of it. The game is beautiful, endearing, and creative. It was truly something special.

I support. I saw P Kat's movelist and was like "I should join the Okami support group". That was super dope BTW.
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the support KatKit KatKit . Yeah, I was wracking my brain, trying to figure out how to implement most/all of Amaterasu's abilities and weapons. So I'm glad you appreciate my moveset, it means a lot to me.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Hey, just popping into this thread to say I would love to see Amaterasu get into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm still giving Okami HD a playthrough having purchased it earlier this month, but I hope we can see more people supporting this character as they seem deserving of such recognition, and I can imagine they would be a unique addition with an interesting moveset.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hey, just popping into this thread to say I would love to see Amaterasu get into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm still giving Okami HD a playthrough having purchased it earlier this month, but I hope we can see more people supporting this character as they seem deserving of such recognition, and I can imagine they would be a unique addition with an interesting moveset.
Hi valkiriforce valkiriforce thanks for the support. Yeah I'm hoping Amaterasu can get in as Fighter #5 or in the 2nd Fighter Pass.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, unlike the last time I posted, it looks like Okami is an alive series going forward and that is super exciting. I still think it's a long-shot that she'd be chosen for Super Smash Bros, but... She'd get me so much more excited than nearly any other third party they'd choose, so fingers crossed.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Alas, everytime first4figures reveals stuff like this, it reminds me how much living in the 3rd world sucks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm on something of a moveset-writing spree (I've been linking them in my signature, and I've written them all in the past few days), and I decided to write one for Amaterasu. I'm going to bring up my usual disclaimer that I have no idea whether or not these movesets would be balanced, but I tried my best, and feel free to let me know if I missed anything obvious or if any descriptions are unclear.

Amaterasu is Unleashed!

Amaterasu, or Ammy for short, has palettes based on three of the Canine Warriors that she encounters – Gi (a gray dog with a white underbelly), Jin (pastel red), and Chu (brown). Others are based on the Karmic Transformers, turning Amaterasu into her statue from the opening, plain Amaterasu (what she looks like without any ink – just a white wolf), and a realistic-looking 3D render (the art style that Okami initially had). The last palette is based on Ninetails, a key boss in the game, giving Ammy a yellowish palette.

The series’ logo would be the stylized sun from the logo of Okami, though rather than being completely filled in, it would likely be a circle with the flames inside of it.

Basically any area in Okami would work well as a stage, given how gorgeous the game looks, but if I had to pick one, I’d go with Kamiki Village. I’m picturing it in the housing area, ideally angled so you can see Sakuya’s tree high above the village. Various characters from the village are coming out to watch the falling cherry blossoms, and the fight, reacting to what’s going on. They’ll react positively or negatively if someone’s KO’d, though if Ammy’s on-stage, they’ll always root for her.

Ammy appears on-stage by using her game’s fast travel, appearing from an Ultimate Origin Mirror that vanishes in a stylized puff of smoke. Her idle animations include looking around (as though she’s not paying attention to the opponent), sitting down while Issun jumps around her, and yawning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s worth noting that Ammy would have as many visual effects from Okami as possible – for example, when she runs, a trail of grass and flowers appears behind her. These wouldn’t do anything practical, but they make her feel more like she does in the original game.

A-->AA-->AAA: Ammy’s basic reflector combo – based on the first three swings.

Forward A: Ammy uses a two hit glaive combo.

Up A: the fourth hit of the rosary combo – Ammy swings the rosary above her head, going from the front of her body to her tail. It has a long range, but it doesn’t do much damage or have much hitstun.

Down A: Ammy crouches, and rosary beads shoot out like a shotgun blast.

Forward Smash: Amaterasu uses a charge attack with Thunder Edge

Up Smash: Ammy swings Tsumugari upwards, like how the earlier glaives are used when they’re equipped as subweapons. This launches the enemy into the air

Down Smash: Ammy spins around with the Devout Beads spinning on the floor around her, rapidly dealing damage like Peach’s down smash

Neutral Air: Amaterasu swings her reflector overhead, arcing downwards, like her aerial attack in Okami

Forward Air: Ammy lunges forward, using her lunge attack in the air.

Back Air: Amaterasu uses her mid-air Reflector attack when it’s equipped as a subweapon – turning around, she holds it in front of herself as a shield. It’s not very effective for attacking, but the shield reflects projectiles.

Up Air: Ammy uses an air attack with her rosary beads, whipping them overhead in an arc. Like with the up attack on the ground, it’s not great with stunning or KOing opponents, though it’s good for increasing the enemy’s damage from a distance.

Down Air: Ammy uses her air attack with one of her glaives, dropping down to the ground in the process.

Dash Attack: Ammy lunges forward with a lunge attack, like what happens when you attack while you’re not in battle.

Wake-Up Attack: Ammy chases her tail, knocking her opponents away if she hits them.

Climb Attack: Ammy swings the reflector in front of her as she climbs back on stage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grab: Ammy bites the opponent, holding them like she would hold onto an item.

Pummel: moving her head, she bites down harder.

Forward Throw: leaping onto the opponent, Ammy jumps off of them, knocking them away.

Back Throw: rosary beads wrap around Ammy’s opponent and fling them over her head.

Up Throw: a water spout bursts out of the ground in front of Ammy, launching the foe into the air; Ammy shakes to dry herself off.

Down Throw: Ammy digs a hole with her front paws before tossing the opponent into it; this throw buries the opponent, fittingly enough.

Up Taunt: Ammy lifts her head up and howls

Side Taunt: Golden Fury – Ammy lifts her leg, and… relieves herself. Despite the name, it’s white, like in Okami, and deals 1% damage. And yes, it makes no sense since she’s a female dog. (I’m not sure if it’s acceptable given the ESRB rating, but I’d think it would fall into the same category as Wario’s farts)

Down Taunt: Ammy yawns and lies down

B: Power Slash – a piece of paper with a line drawn through it in ink appears in front of Amaterasu. If it touches the opponent, item container, or some other kind of damageable object, it turns into a line of ink, slashing the opponent. If it touches the floor, then it disappears, but it can work well for edge-guarding.

Up B: Vine – a vine shoots out of Ammy’s weapon at an upwards angle, acting similar to Ivysaur’s tether recovery. (though unlike Ivysaur's, if the vine hits an opponent, it drags Ammy up to them)

Side B: Cherry Bomb – a circle with a line sticking out of it is quickly drawn in front of Ammy, causing a large Cherry Bomb to appear in front of her. It can’t be picked up, though it can be attacked or walked into to move it around.

Down B: Inferno – an infinity symbol is drawn overlapping with Amaterasu, which bursts into flame. Originally, I planned to let people draw it freehand, to act as an edgeguarding tool or a less predictable means of attack at the cost of Ammy being vulnerable while the line was being drawn, but I realized how that could easily be abused.

Final Smash: Celestial Judgement – a large circle of ink quickly drawn in front of Ammy, which turns into the stylized sun from the game. If anyone’s inside of it, a cutscene final smash begins. A scroll unravels, showing the dimension that Ammy goes when she learns a new brush technique, where the 13 Celestial Brush Gods rapidly attack the opponent with their Brush Techniques or, if their brush techniques aren’t offensive, they just attack the opponent. (for example, Yumigami, the moon god, smashes them with her mallet) The Cherry Bomb is one of the first to be drawn, but it explodes after everyone else has finished, launching the opponent(s) into the air. Once that happens, they look up to the sun expectantly, and Amaterasu shoots from the sun like a meteor, crashing through the opponent(s) to end the cutscene and send them flying.

Ammy’s first victory pose has to be leaning back, looking up at the sky, and howling as the sun shines above her, like she does at the end of every boss fight. Another win pose is copied from Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where she yawns and lies down as Issun bounces around her. For her third win pose, Ammy chows down on a big bowl of Holy Bones and food that’s used to fill the Astral Pouch, not even paying attention to the fact that she won, as Issun hopes around excitedly.

The victory theme would be taken straight from Okami, and Kirby would get a hat that looks like the top half of Ammy’s head, only rounder. This allows Kirby to use Power Slash, which acts the same as Ammy’s version, though the line on the paper isn’t exactly straight since Kirby drew it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Personally I too would have Cherry Bomb as a Down B but I can see Side B working just as well. I think you were on to something, using Up Throw for Water Spout, in which you could make the other throws based off of Celestial Brush techniques.

For example, Forward Throw being Blizzard, Down Throw being Thunderbolt, and even Back Throw being Whirlwind. Other than that though this is a great moveset for Amaterasu overall. Thanks for making it, and for sharing it with us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom