• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amaterasu, Now is the time. We have never needed your power more: Amaterasu for SSB Ultimate

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If Phoenix gets in I'm aboard the Amaterasu train for next Capcom character. Game is beautiful albeit I find the tutorial a bit long.

I respect Kamiya's work second only to Shu Takumi.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
What songs and possibly, what stage....cause that one honestly has me stumped...
For songs, we could get stuff like Rising Sun, Exorcising Evil, the various boss battle themes (Orochi, Ninetails, Yami, etc), and maybe recognizable stage themes like Shinshu Field.

As far as stages go, I'd probably pick either Moon Cave, Ryoshima Coast, or Oni Island.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
WOAH. I'm so surprised how much this page is alive!

It's good to see some supporters, welcome aboard!

Thank you for your responses to my idea's and others for pitching in with their's too!!!

As for a current trend, along with the dlc pack, there will be a stage and a couple of songs....

What songs and possibly, what stage....cause that one honestly has me stumped...
I have a few Ideas:

Stage music: The Sun Rises, Kamiki Village(Smash Bros Remix), The Konohana Shuffle(Extended) ,Tama's theme, Waka's Promenade,
Ryoshima Coast (2 songs in one, But this one flows better), Southern Ryoshima Coast, Kushi's Ride, Theme of the Celestials, Orca's Theme,
Battle of Ninetails, Stirring, and Thank Goodness.

Stage: Kamiki Village:
Overtime, Orochi, will actually appear, causing chaos for the villagers attacking with bites and elemental attacks, and causing a huge wave to wash away the bridge and any players on it. After the wave, the place transitions to the Moon Cave, where he'll attacks the players the same way as the villagers.
He'll continue attacking the players until the players attacks at least three different heads, on rare events in 8 player Smash you will have to attack all eight heads. After defeating Orochi, or enough time pass, the players will be transported to the River of the Heavens. Where you be able to fight on a flat Omega-esque stage for a while before your transported back to Kamiki Village.

Ammy for smash

Smash Rookie
Hello I made this account just to support ammy, who has been my most wanted character in smash for a while. So please add me to the list of supporters.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I too support the decision to add in Amaterasu into SSBU. Okami is one of my top favorite adventure games of all time, and I honestly like it more than quite a few Zelda titles. Adding in Ammy would be awesome, since she would be a quadrupedal fighter with a ton of options. Although considering how this is the same type of character that was Thor's Capcom counterpart in MvC3, it means that she's probably strong enough to even wreck Thanos. So hopefully she wouldn't be overpowered if added to the game. Also since Capcom hasn't done anything with Okami in years, I'm not sure if relevancy will be a factor for her, but I'm sure Capcom would be cooperative if Nintendo/Sakurai wanted to add this divine white wolf into the game.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Source game power levels really don't mean much since we have the likes of Mario and Jigglypuff fighting god-tier characters like Bayonetta and Shulk.

D

Deleted member

Going to be honest, I think Kamiya's random poll implies either Amaterasu or Dante is showing up as DLC, and he's gathering general popularity.

Not that I feel the poll means Dante specifically because he won and Amaterasu got 2nd, but that one of the four is in.
And it would HAVE to be between Dante and Amaterasu.
And my money's more on Amaterasu.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, here's something I just thought of: Since chances are high that DLC characters will be featured in Palutena's Guidance this time around (looking at Piranha Plant), what do you think a Guidance on Amaterasu could be like? Personally, I could see Palutena somewhat resentful because Ammy technically also is a goddess of light, while Viridi takes a liking to her because of her restoring nature.

This is Emperor of Eternal Darkness erasure.

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
Well, sun goddess. Maybe there'd be a big enough distinction between the two. I mean, goddess of light? She can have dominion over lamps and such, while our good girl has dominion over the sun. I could also see Viridi liking her however!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yo add me to the support. I'm a sucker for mythology especially Japanese and a character based on the Sun Goddess herself is a must!

Plus I love wolves. :grin:

SC~Zer0

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2148-8147-3839
Switch FC
SW 6141-1246-5923
(Sorry for my bad cut and paste job here)

(
Going to be honest, I think Kamiya's random poll implies either Amaterasu or Dante is showing up as DLC, and he's gathering general popularity.

Not that I feel the poll means Dante specifically because he won and Amaterasu got 2nd, but that one of the four is in.
And it would HAVE to be between Dante and Amaterasu.
And my money's more on Amaterasu.
Ammy being 1st in the poll I believe is very unlikely since of Dante's popularity (Plus Okami is NOT a commercial success, since it's purpose was to become one of Capcom's ip's) . Now I don't mind, and neither am I dampening our hope with Ammy, but Dante might be more popular with the Casual/ Mainstream Audience, thus we must make more people introduced, or be interested in Okami. Dante would be a welcome edition to Ultimate..., but there is a lot of sword fighters in Smash (THANKS FE. ^^;) so I'm not sure how Dante would work out with Smash fans....but he also could have a weapon switch as discussed earlier with Ammy's possible moveset.

So, here's something I just thought of: Since chances are high that DLC characters will be featured in Palutena's Guidance this time around (looking at Piranha Plant), what do you think a Guidance on Amaterasu could be like? Personally, I could see Palutena somewhat resentful because Ammy technically also is a goddess of light, while Viridi takes a liking to her because of her restoring nature.

Well, sun goddess. Maybe there'd be a big enough distinction between the two. I mean, goddess of light? She can have dominion over lamps and such, while our good girl has dominion over the sun. I could also see Viridi liking her however!
Palutena would be more like "A fellow goddess!" and tries to chat with Ammy, and all she'll get is barks, which Issun will intrude/interpret for Ammy.
Or, Pit will be disarmed by Ammy being a wolf, and Palutena explains/gives guidance to Pit, and Viridi will be giddy saying something around the lines of..."She should join my forces of nature" Issun could pop in here and rebuttal etc.

SC~Zer0

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2148-8147-3839
Switch FC
SW 6141-1246-5923
Also,
Alternate colors....?
(Could the weapons be totally cosmetic....? Personally, I had always used Kusanagi, Tundra beads (any beads with rapid shots) and Trinity Mirror in the last portion of the game. So it would be neat to have the weapons set appropriately by acquired order in skin )
I've been thinking...

Normal : Weapons : Divine Retribution, Tsumugari, and Devout beads),

Haybusa
(Canine Warrior Chu)
Weapons: Infinity judge, Life Beads, <undecided>

Reverse Color Scheme,(Blue on black, or white, replace red markings with a light blue) Default, Kusanagi ,

Shiranui (Another Karmic Transformer) Weapons : Solar Flare, Thunder Edge, Tundra Beads

Dark Ammy (switch the white with black) Weapons : Snarling Beast, Seven Strike, Resurrection Beads

Stone (One of the Karmic Transformers and what the Statue of Shiranui looked like.) Weapons: Trinity Mirror, Exorcism beads, Eighth Wonder

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ammy being 1st in the poll I believe is very unlikely since of Dante's popularity (Plus Okami is NOT a commercial success, since it's purpose was to become one of Capcom's ip's) . Now I don't mind, and neither am I dampening our hope with Ammy, but Dante might be more popular with the Casual/ Mainstream Audience, thus we must make more people introduced, or be interested in Okami. Dante would be a welcome edition to Ultimate..., but there is a lot of sword fighters in Smash (THANKS FE. ^^;) so I'm not sure how Dante would work out with Smash fans....but he also could have a weapon switch as discussed earlier with Ammy's possible moveset.
I didn't say Amaterasu won.
In fact, I literally said Dante won.

My point was that it is unlikely to have mattered who won the poll, as one of the two had already been decided on.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that Dante is getting in anyways. Not only was he in Sony's own crossover fighter, he was outright deconfirmed by someone who worked on DMC.

wildlands

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7568-7625-6294
So despite Dante winning that pole Kamiya posted on his twitter, the boss of Devil May Cry stated people should be asking for a DMC game on the Switch before asking for Dante in Smash.

So up next in that poll is Amy! Hopefully this comes true.

Last edited:

Texlopedia

Smash Rookie
Got a moveset/character design for Ammy, tell me what you guys think :)

Amaterasu smash ultimate form

Up special: Vine (upside-down pedal if it doesn't ledge clip like ivysaurs recovery. Keeps jump if not used)

Side special: Cherry bomb (does good knock back with a timer of about 2 seconds. Can be triggered by attacks but doesn't damage Ammy)

Down special: Primary weapon change (chose from a unique pop up scroll menu that always has the current weapon in the middle)

Neutral special: Secondary weapon attack (it is assumed that with each weapon change it is also the secondary weapon attack changes too as well just like in the game Okami. However it will change to the same weapon as the primary)

Neutral special (Disk): Reflector counter-attack (a counter that blocks all projectiles as well as on physical contact will immediately put the opponent into a high damage, deadly throw. Even with disjoints)

Neutral special (Rosary): Bead shotgun blast or auto locking bead gun that fires multiple times like autoreticle (press down hard for a spread, straightforward shot or multiple light taps for smaller, less damaging shots with no knockback)

Neutral special (Sword): Spiraling glaive lunge (tap to release an uncharged version, hold for the charge. There's another secondary attack for sword in Okami that is an upward glaive swing however that will be reserved for a unique up tilt that can be charged.)

Smash attacks will be using the unique brush techniques learned throughout Amaterasu's journey.

Up smash: Fireburst (A powerful ball of fire, the longer you charge, the thicker the ink will be. Long charge for fast and powerful, short charge for slow and long lasting. You can almost immediately move after casting)

Side smash: Power slash (Just like in Okami, there are levels. And level 3 which will be max charge. Will break shields. Every version will do good shield damage as well as good knock back.)

Down smash: Lightning (Just like Fireburst, you can move almost immediately after casting. And also just like fireburst, longer charge means it stays around shorter. But the less it is charged, it will stay around longer but be weaker.)

Side throws can be versions of fleet foot for excellent range and stage control.

Down throw could be a normal combo throw

up throw could be like cargo throw but they're on her back, dazed and confused.

The normal tilts and aerials would be up to the game/character designers however I do think that each version of Jab should be according to the three weapons combos you learn in Okami. That being 4 shears for swords, 5 winds for disk and spirit armageddon for the rosary beads.

A fun idea would be to utilize ink pot management for brush techniques just like Okami so you can't abuse multiple high ink consumption moves at once. And just like in Okami, when you run out of ink, you lose your powers. Just a concept though.

Amaterasu would be able to wall jump and cling with the utilization of the mark of the cat.

I believe that every special effects that they have for Amaterasu's movement in Okami should also be translated into smash for a visual treat.

Her stage could be Yamato's ark with each main stage boss changing the stage.

Final smash could be original Amaterasu's form doing an all out attack with Yamato's ark as a background for the cutscene

Taunts can be whatever, you can't use them in quickplay anyways :p

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

Honestly, I'd see Palutena feeling some sort of camaraderie with Amaterasu for being a fellow deity while Pit would be confused that an animal could be a god.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I came across this custom stage, and figured people in this thread would be able to appreciate it.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
This is one of very few third party characters I would actually buy if they added her. Sadly, I feel like Okami is a lot like Golden Sun - well liked, but inactive. And we all saw what happened to Golden Sun. *sigh*

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This is one of very few third party characters I would actually buy if they added her. Sadly, I feel like Okami is a lot like Golden Sun - well liked, but inactive. And we all saw what happened to Golden Sun. *sigh*
I guess you could say we. . . unite under the sun.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Okami got a recent release onto the Switch. It's not as dead as some people think.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Okami got a recent release onto the Switch. It's not as dead as some people think.
Yeah, a remastered port. I mean, that certainly puts it in a better position than Golden Sun, but only slightly, I'd say.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, anyone else feel that if the trend of third parties holds up, we might have a shot with Amaterasu, after all? Admittedly, with Capcom there'd be trouble with Phoenix Wright or a Resident Evil character, but hey, maybe they'd go for a more niche pick. Amaterasu herself is a somewhat iconic Capcom character, after all.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just watched this moveset video for Amaterasu in Smash.

I'm not sure if it's too complicated to realistically work in a Smash Bros. game, but it seems interesting. I'm still playing through Okami, but I could see her working really well in the game.

EDIT: I just beat Okami, and I can totally see why all of you want her to be playable.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm a bit late to post this, but this is a pretty good video/thread making a case for Amaterasu being DLC.

I just watched this moveset video for Amaterasu in Smash.

I'm not sure if it's too complicated to realistically work in a Smash Bros. game, but it seems interesting. I'm still playing through Okami, but I could see her working really well in the game.
The concepts in the video are overall pretty nice, but I think the way the specials are handled is a bit too convoluted. A lot of the brush techniques proposed there wouldn't even need to be in a Smash moveset to accurately represent Amaterasu. Like, I doubt that anyone here would really be bothered if Restoration wasn't a part of Ammy's moveset.
That said, I really do prefer the idea of not having Ammy use multiple weapons for her moveset.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Famitsu magazine (which Sakurai participates in a column) recently held a poll for its readers to vote for their favorite games that released from January 1989 to May 2019. Okami is 5th, and is the Top 1 Capcom. The game was 17th in 2017.

minitheory consoles amaterasu lq.jpg

Last edited:

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
To join the "prospective Ammy gameplay workshop," I've got at least a concept and a few "definite," moves rather than a full moveset.
This'll be very long and very wordy, so it's gonna go in a Google doc posted here once it's mostly done.

She's a literal deity, with Palutena being the only other member of divinity in the cast. However, unlike Palutena, Amaterasu is far more active and possesses a much larger portfolio.
Being a solar deity, a mother goddess, and a warrior god gives a whole bunch of fun options in regards to designing a character, even if we're just sticking to her canon abilities.

My goal is to design her to feel like an actual god when she has the upper hand, but making gaining that advantage require effort, with a rather linear neutral game but outright oppressive and devastating advantage state.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ammy is one of those characters I'd have been satisfied seeing as a spirit alone, but if she can somehow make it into the roster despite the fierce competition from other Capcom characters then all the better, I definitely think she has the best potential for a unique moveset between the disk/beads and celestial brushes (although I doubt they'll want to implement the mist veil after how witch time turned out in the last game lol).

JWAurorus

Smash Rookie
I really believe the stars are finally aligning. We're due a female character for the last character in the fighters pass; Okami is on the switch; she could have an orange background on the website as colour theory is suggesting and she's recently become less talked about, so would make for a good surprise character. Her only potential threats are Cadence for CoTN and Tracer from Overwatch in my opinion

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Eh, I don't believe for a second we're getting a female rep to fill some arbirtrary gap fans are making up, Smash has always been a sausage fest as most leads in other franchises are males. Ammys main competition are other Capcom characters for that theoretic spot, and in that regard, I wouldn't say her chances are looking all that good with franchises like RE, DMC and AA being generally more well known than Okami.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I really believe the stars are finally aligning. We're due a female character for the last character in the fighters pass; Okami is on the switch; she could have an orange background on the website as colour theory is suggesting and she's recently become less talked about, so would make for a good surprise character. Her only potential threats are Cadence for CoTN and Tracer from Overwatch in my opinion
Always nice to see more supporters. Though I gotta say that your reasoning. . . isn't that good. No matter how you look at it, I just cannot see Cadence and Tracer being likely characters in any capacity. And I really wouldn't put any stock into colour theory, considering how other such theories panned out in the past.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
A true sequel to Okami would make me squeal in excitement.

Here's to hoping that this actually leads to a revival of the series and isn't just playful teasing.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Nice ! All that was missing from Okami was another episode.
Third-party series are too represented by humans ? -> Amaterasu
Third-partty series are too represented by males ? -> Amaterasu
Third-party series are too represented by badass non-toons characters ? -> Amaterasu

But the announcement can also deconfirm Okami, sacrificing what could have been a surprise effect. And if Jill has truly been refused (as a Fighter, not as a Mii Costume) for the second pass, it means that there is very little chance that another Capcom rep has been planned in the pass. If the reasons are political, then it also could be affect all other Capcom rep :/

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ammy hits a lot of good checkboxes yeah
Not an human or bipedal animal, not male, not a sword wielder (or I guess she is, but she's a lot likelier to use discs/beads as her main weapon), neither realistic nor anime looking, and if they're working on an Okami sequel, then the relevancy problem is a nonissue (little as this might have mattered). That said, Okami is still a relatively obscure game all things considered, and while we could get more than 1 Capcom character now that DLC will go past the fighters pass, that's a pretty heated competition with how many iconic characters and IPs they have pulled off, probably the most out of any 3rd party Japanese dev/publisher.

Top Bottom