• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amaterasu, Now is the time. We have never needed your power more: Amaterasu for SSB Ultimate

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice

It's time we discussed the possibility of the wolf goddess herself making it into smash. Amaterasu is a rather interesting character. Her unique ability to use the celestial brush allows her to utilize many different effects depending on the brush stroke. There's no doubt she would very much standout among the cast.

With Okami HD coming out on the switch, there's definitely a better chance of Ammy making it into smash ultimate. So lets discuss it and talk about possible move sets and overall likelihood of seeing her get in.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I could have sworn there was a threaed for this already but was shocked to discover that's not true.

I'll be honest, I'd be down with just about any capcom fighter, I love a lot of their franchises and with MvC going down the drain and Capcom refusing to put as much effort into their fighting games atm it'd be refreshing to see it done with some Nintendo polish.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
I could have sworn there was a threaed for this already but was shocked to discover that's not true.

I'll be honest, I'd be down with just about any capcom fighter, I love a lot of their franchises and with MvC going down the drain and Capcom refusing to put as much effort into their fighting games atm it'd be refreshing to see it done with some Nintendo polish.
I agree completely. I would definetly love to see more Capcom representation in smash. I love alot of their franchises and seeing them in smash would make up for the lack of hype for MVC as of recent.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Is it OK to bump this? Because lately I've been thinking about the possibility of having Ammy in Smash. If we get another ballot, I'm definitely voting for her.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Banjo and Ammy are definitely at the top of my list for characters I'm gonna vote for. I hope she gets in cause her moveset would be so unique.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Banjo and Ammy are definitely at the top of my list for characters I'm gonna vote for. I hope she gets in cause her moveset would be so unique.
Yeah it would. Amaterasu would be an interesting fighter to use in the game.

TeX

Smash Rookie
Jab: Reflector technique 5 winds
Forward tilt: Rosary technique Spirit Armageddon
Down tilt: God technique Digging champ
Up tilt: Sub "Seven Strike glaive" attack (can be charged like in game)

Up smash: Secret brush technique Inferno tech
Forward smash: Brush technique Power slash (half/full charge breaks sheilds)
Down smash: Secret brush technique Thunderstorm tech

Neutral special: Sub "Devout Beads" attack
Up special: Brush technique Vine
Side special: Glaive technique 4 shears
Down special: Sub "Trinity Mirror" Reflector counter-attack

Neutral air: aerial bead swing
Up air: upwards glaive swing
Forward air: forward glaive swing
Back air: backwards glaive swing
Down air: downward aerial glaive swing

Grab: bite
Pummel: Reflector smack

Up throw: backflip kick into air
Forward throw: hard reflector smack
Back throw: God technique Fleetfoot backwards into throw
Down throw: Throws on to ground and they bounce upward

Dash attack: God technique hardhead

Up taunt: Howls upward like victory howl
Side taunt: crouches, growls and roars like battle intro
Down taunt: yawns, lays down and falls asleep

Victory screen: rising sun up above as howl with fanfare music
Victory screen 2: layed down asleep as issun bouncing around her

Home stage: Gaurdian tree of Kamiki village

Skins: Amaterasu, the 9 karmic transformers

Unique character attributes:
God technique holy falcon: spinning jump animation has hit box
All charges work like in original game
Wall cling has mark of kabegami
Wall jump causes ring of flowers and plants like in game
Run causes plants and changes color the faster you run
Water tablet: Can walk on water
Fire tablet: No flinch for fire

TeX

Smash Rookie
Her up special would grab the ledge automatically, would have a hit box around her as if it were a dash attack. Obviously it would be able to clip in all directions and have a specific range. If you've played the game you'll know what the effect is of the sub being on the mirror. It'll be like a counter that does meta knight up throw type deal but not mashable and of course it would work in mid air like in the game. The down special could be a good kill option considering how it works in okami.

Last edited:

TeX

Smash Rookie
I tried to make the move set like in game Okami and as close to her combo heavy style as well. Tell me what you guys think :)

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it actually, out of all of Capcom's characters, I think Amaterasu has the best chance to be the next Capcom character in line to get in smash.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Man oh man I've been wanting Amaterasu in Smash for so long it's not even funny, probably about as long as I've wanted Lloyd and Travis.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
With Smash seeming more and more like gamings grandest crossover, Ammy would be a nice addition to the game's panorama of characters. I hope a cult classic like Okami can get some love.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
God technique holy falcon: spinning jump animation has hit box
No. No hit boxes on non-attacks, especially if you're not Mario.

Water tablet: Can walk on water
This sounds cool and all but making Tortimer Island, Kongo Jungle and every swimming stage a one-sided walkout would be quite the issue to balance. Especially if she couldn't be hit through the surface for a bottom KO.

Fire tablet: No flinch for fire
This is not only game breaking but also highly non-uniform, completely destroying Roy without even touching Ice Climbers, say.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

This sounds cool and all but making Tortimer Island, Kongo Jungle and every swimming stage a one-sided walkout would be quite the issue to balance. Especially if she couldn't be hit through the surface for a bottom KO.

This is not only game breaking but also highly non-uniform, completely destroying Roy without even touching Ice Climbers, say.
Walking on water does sound cool maybe she can hit hard enough to go through the surface, and if she comes back up she stands on the water again.

As for no flinching on fire attacks, I'm guessing it works like Super Armor but for flames only, so she doesn't flinch against flames, but she still takes damage, making it a more niche Super Armor against certain characters, unlike other characters' Super Armor "I'm looking at you Little Mac" his Super Armor is the bane of all Smash characters existence.

Edit: Also count me in as a supporter for Ammy.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Ammy would be a pretty fun character with her painting mechanics incorporated somehow. If Palutena's Guidance gets an upgrade, her reaction to a vastly different fellow deity should be pretty amusing.

TeX

Smash Rookie
I very much agree about that. Only super armor for flame attacks would be pretty nice but now I'm leaning towards none. Mainly because many fighters use flames for special and smash moves and it would be broken. That as it is, I reviewed okami and the fire tablet only let's her *swim* in lava and fire :)

TeX

Smash Rookie
As for no holy falcon; In okami it doesn't cause knock back and not only that but in game, without water tablet she can drown. Granted I believe since it would be smash she would not drown so I can see why you say nay and honestly I mostly agree with you. Albeit I'd like to know whether holy falcon with no knock back would be acceptable even

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. I support! One question: Who's Ammy and what game is Ammy from?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Count me in.
Amaterasu along with Travis and SS Link really ACTUALLY made use of the Wii to its fullest potential.

Ammy's the prettiest of the bunch though.

TeX

Smash Rookie
I can't wait until August! Okami HD is coming to the switch. Which makes be believe she has a good chance being in smash ultimate.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I can't wait until August! Okami HD is coming to the switch. Which makes be believe she has a good chance being in smash ultimate.
Well she is a good crossover character that's for sure if MvC3 taught us anything, she was on the Gamecube, she also added to the experience of the Wii with her game and is willing to add to the Switch's experience again, and the timing could work if a Nintendo Direct was scheduled for or around August 9th. Our Other best chance is DLC, but I'm hoping that she gets released the same day as Okami HD personally, if Okami also comes out with a new game on that day, then that could help her chances too, but only time will tell.

I know popularity isn't everything but I'm curious, does anyone now how well she's received in Japan and in the Western part of the world?

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Well she is a good crossover character that's for sure if MvC3 taught us anything, she was on the Gamecube, she also added to the experience of the Wii with her game and is willing to add to the Switch's experience again, and the timing could work if a Nintendo Direct was scheduled for or around August 9th. Our Other best chance is DLC, but I'm hoping that she gets released the same day as Okami HD personally, if Okami also comes out with a new game on that day, then that could help her chances too, but only time will tell.

I know popularity isn't everything but I'm curious, does anyone now how well she's received in Japan and in the Western part of the world?
She's not very popular sadly. Okami has never had a track record for having good sales numbers and as a result not a whole lot of people (even in Japan) really know about her all that much aside from MVC. Generally though she's received positively but not a whole lot of people are gonna want her in cause tons have yet to play the actual game or even know about the character.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
She's not very popular sadly. Okami has never had a track record for having good sales numbers and as a result not a whole lot of people (even in Japan) really know about her all that much aside from MVC. Generally though she's received positively but not a whole lot of people are gonna want her in cause tons have yet to play the actual game or even know about the character.
Darn, which is so ironic since I heard that Okami has a decent amount of awards and critical acclaim too. Well then its up to Sakurai then, he has a good eye when it comes to good gaming characters.Along with it be remastered and re-released over, and over again, Okami has decent gaming history in general, with Nintendo as well too, being on the Gamecube, the DS, Wii, only the Wii U and 3DS didn't get anything.

She strike me as the one of left field character that Sakurai would choose, the one that no one would expect, but would fit perfectly and be obvious in hindsight. Yep Okami HD coming to the Switch is Ammy's best bet then, we just gotta keep the hope alive till then or DLC in the future.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I refuse to think even for a second that Amaterasu could get in. But out of any surprise third-party pick, she would mean the most to me. I hold Okami near and dear to my heart and Ammy in SSB would make me push aside any other possible newcomers, even Skull Kid who I am extremely vocal about.

Yes Ammy is my secret number 1 pick for most wanted character. She isn't going to happen though.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
I refuse to think even for a second that Amaterasu could get in. But out of any surprise third-party pick, she would mean the most to me. I hold Okami near and dear to my heart and Ammy in SSB would make me push aside any other possible newcomers, even Skull Kid who I am extremely vocal about.

Yes Ammy is my secret number 1 pick for most wanted character. She isn't going to happen though.
Her chances are slim for sure but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility. I think if another Capcom character were to get in smash, I could see Ammy being next in line.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Amaterasu and Bayonetta. Both Hideki Kamiya creations (sort of).

When the Sun and the Moon collide...
Just like an eclipse, Amaterasu getting in Smash is not something you'd ever expect to see, but it would quite an amazing spectacle.

TeX

Smash Rookie
I just realized something interesting. Amaterasu was up on the board for the smash ballot being behind a few fan favorite's and not only that but Nintendo hasn't made a remake for Okami since the wii. And to top that, she wasn't in marvel versus capcom infinite for roster or dlc and hasn't been data mined out in any dlc update. And with Okami HD out on the ps4 AND Xbox1 after MvCi but still no ammy in MvCi even though the remake is there.plu's adding on that Okami HD is coming for the switch Which could possibly mean an even higher chance of her for dlc (I would say a "no Brainer" but I don't want to be too gung-ho)

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Smash Direct is coming on Wednesday, August 8th. Hopefully we have a chance

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That is literally one day before the Switch port of Okami HD releases. There's a good chance that Amaterasu (if she's in) gets confirmed.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Keeping my fingers crossed. I want to believe there's hope that she'll get in! If our wolf goddess gets in, you bet I'll be goin insane in this thread!

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
We'll have to wait and see. Though Okami isn't the only game to use Amaterasu in their games. Besides I believe it was copyrighted for the title of a certain game and not a character (though I could be wrong. I'm not entirely sure on how copyright works).

Last edited:
Top Bottom