• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who think's meta knight's dthrow is dumb?

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I love metaknight. Of all the pm characters, I feel like he is the most natural character for me to use at the moment (2nd to pikachu), but I don't like his down throw. Maybe it's because I am a melee player, but I don't like sheik in melee because even with her bad matchups, she had things like being able to tech chase against fox and falcon upon reaction. Metaknight being able to do this to the majority of the cast reminds me of how annoying sheik is, when in comparison to his other options that are really flashy and cool, this just seems like his easy way out of his otherwise bad matchups. This is especially an issue because a matchup against someone like squirtle would otherwise be even or slightly in mk's favor rather than overly in mk's favor. I just feel like the really good mk players will just abuse the tech chase and make mk seem like a dumb character. Kirby is probably one of my least favorite characters because of the tech chasing, and giving mk the same option makes him kind of lame. What do you guys think? Do you think mk needs the dthrow or should it revert to 3.5's?

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Honestly it wasn't even that much less op in 3.5 because 90% of the time if they didn't go into tumble you could just regrab and d-throw again and they go into tumble.
And to answer your question: yes.

Phubs

Smash Cadet
So you hate playing against his down throw?
Pro tip: Don't get grabbed

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Definitely. Metaknight is already Fox/Falcon/Sheik tier for reaction tech chasing. His dthrow sets up tech chases for free and, combined with his kit, skews the risk/reward ratio in his favor too much for getting a grab. I wouldn't go back to 3.5 though, it was still kinda busted. I'm ok with the current trajectory, and I think he should still have a throw that sets up for tech chases, just give it enough endlag where MK needs to hard read his opponent's DI/tech in order to get a follow up. But if in a future patch, the PMDT wants to go more in a 3.02 (but more careful) direction, and will give other characters better rounded punishes, I would be ok with MK retaining his current dthrow.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Definitely. Metaknight is already Fox/Falcon/Sheik tier for reaction tech chasing. His dthrow sets up tech chases for free and, combined with his kit, skews the risk/reward ratio in his favor too much for getting a grab. I wouldn't go back to 3.5 though, it was still kinda busted. I'm ok with the current trajectory, and I think he should still have a throw that sets up for tech chases, just give it enough endlag where MK needs to hard read his opponent's DI/tech in order to get a follow up. But if in a future patch, the PMDT wants to go more in a 3.02 (but more careful) direction, and will give other characters better rounded punishes, I would be ok with MK retaining his current dthrow.
I really hated 3.02... never again. On the other hand I just feel like he has so many other options outside of his grab that it just feels like an unnecessary addition. But since I main mk, I shouldn't really complain since it's a boon, just something to be looked at, not something that should be absolutely changed. It just seems unfair for someone like shiek and pit to get nerfed out of their good grabs, but instead give them to MK and kirby. But it's ok, I love pm, nothing will really change that.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Honestly I liked 3.02 better than any other d-throw because he had options from his grab that weren't just tech chasing. Against every single character, once you got to a good enough percent you could try for a d-throw IDC or d-throw nair, but you could still tech chase at lower percents and even higher percents on fast-fallers. This was actually pretty broken, because if they DI'd away you could still get them with the IDC a lot of the time, and if they DI'd a bit more up to avoid that, you still hit them with a powerful nair. What he has now doesn't even compare to what you could do with d-throw before imo

Top Bottom