• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one that can't play on certain stages?

FTXSR

Smash Rookie
specifically stages that have moving backgrounds
stages that give me headaches include
final destination
Umbra clock tower (probably the worst of them all)
Pilot Wings
mute city snes
pokemon prism tower
kirby halberd
lylat cruise
fountain of dreams (no moving background but too much going on imo)

I'm sure there's more, but does anyone else have trouble with these stages? I can't concentrate 1v1s with these stages, ultimately putting me at a disadvantage.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
ive only ever really had bad experiences playing on town and city and not much else... but everyone is different

Nah

Smash Champion
I don't know how common of a thing it is, but some people do have issues with particular stages, and probably some of the same ones you do. I remember one guy on here saying once that he pretty much could not play on Umbra Clock Tower, something about motion sickness I think. Might be the same for you since most of those stages have moving parts and stuff.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
For me it's not the movement. Some stages that are incredibly dark makes it difficult for me to see enough. Some examples:
Luigi's Mansion
Any Metroid stage
Castle Dracula
Unova Pokémon

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
specifically stages that have moving backgrounds
stages that give me headaches include
final destination
Umbra clock tower (probably the worst of them all)
Pilot Wings
mute city snes
pokemon prism tower
kirby halberd
lylat cruise
fountain of dreams (no moving background but too much going on imo)

I'm sure there's more, but does anyone else have trouble with these stages? I can't concentrate 1v1s with these stages, ultimately putting me at a disadvantage.

No, you're not alone. Heavily moving backgrounds tend to obscure what the characters are doing to a lot of people, myself included. The human eye tends to be drawn to fast moving objects, so when you pack the screen with stuff that moves around constantly, it causes one to lose some focus on the characters. For example, if a heavily detailed character model is charging a smash attack during a fast moving part of a stage, I may not be able to tell right away what smash they're charging due to my eyes naturally following what's going on behind them too. This isn't present at all on static backgrounds. I fully believe that stages with static backgrounds will result in higher quality gameplay between the two players than any stage with a fast moving/traveling background.

Some characters blend into the stage for me as well which causes the same problems for me. Lucario and Sheik (mostly her default and purple costumes) are really difficult to follow on Fountain of Dreams. Same issue on any character who's heavily detailed and using a lighter-colored costume on the evening version of Smashville/Town & City. Some darker stages give me issues with Snake and Game & Watch. I could probably think of more but that's about the extent of what I see most commonly.

I feel like some people know their character is hard to see on certain stages, too, and intentionally choose one of those stages for an attempt at easier wins. But I could just be johning on this one.

UserKev

Smash Champion
:laugh: Its not just you. Specific stages have really distracting backgrounds and too many potential hazards to focus on. Stage structure also plays a role that makes them tedious depending on the person. Perfect Smash stages for me are the debuts in Smash 64 and Melee.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
The only stage I have problems is mementos because the red version burns my eyes and, while blue is kinda nice, yellow is kinda ugly.

Top Bottom