• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one disappointed by Richter's Holy Water flame?

Which kind of Holy Water do you think is better?

• Total voters

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
In the 2D Castlevania games, Holy Water has come in two varieties. Prior to Harmony of Dissonance (at the latest), Holy Water's flame stayed where it landed, burning slow enemies repeatedly. Since then, the flame has lurched across the ground, burning rows of enemies. It bugs me that Smash Ultimate only utilizes the former when it has two Castlevania fighters in it — and Richter has always used the mobile flame version. Both varieties have their strong points; the stationary variant tends to score more hits, and the mobile variant reaches farther. Am I the only one who wishes Richter's Holy Water behaved more like it does in more recent Castlevania titles? Simon can keep the stationary version, as it represents the earlier games.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
That thought briefly crossed my mind but I guess I assumed I dreamt it or something. Now that you point it out I would prefer the difference just to make the two less identical.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
For the sake of staying true to the character, it would be nice for him to have the mobile version of Holy Water, but Sakurai is heavily implying that the only differences between Simon and Richter are purely cosmetic. I would rather them stay the way they are right now honestly if they're the exact same character, otherwise you end up with the one Belmont always being chosen based on which Holy Water variant is better, and I have a feeling Richter's would be superior because it would be much better at forcing an approach/retreat, and it would retain it's ability to catch you at the ledge most likely(like Arcfire). If arrows were the only thing they changed when making Dark Pit, he would just be an objectively worse Pit, because Pit's arrows are superior in pretty much every aspect. I would just much rather avoid a situation like that. I'd much rather have Richter use Hydro Storm though instead of Grand Cross since it's canonically his preferred item crash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom