• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I fit for Competitive Smash?

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Earlier today, I was trying to fight 3 level 9 CPUs of each character, and it was averaging 3-10 losses to 1 win. Then, I got to Bowser. 2 minutes, Final Destination, and 3 Bowsers, with me playing Marth. I tried really hard to KO them and stay away from them, but I couldn't do it. Eventually, after at least 30 tries, I finally beat them (I'm 13, btw). Am I even fit to play competitively; should I just go back to casual play?

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Playing CPUs mean nothing. Learn how to wavedash, L cancel, SHFFL, edgehog, mindgames etc and then after that play humans and see where you stand. Record some of your games and people will help you out. But the matches should be you versus another human. If you don't know anyone who plays go to a smash tourney. Who cares if people 4 stock you or you lose a lot. You have nothing to lose but all to gain. Good luck.

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
One thing I have noticed (dunno if it's ever been said before, but that wouldn't suprise me) is that the more CPUs you have in a game, collectively, they become stupider. Stick to one computer, they think much better that way. But even then a cpu isn't going to prepare you for real mindgames, or the like. Just practice advanced techniques and then go to a tourney and test yourself out. Ya got nothing to lose. Of course, you are 13, so getting there may be a problem, too.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Don't think age is a factor. That is just an excuse. I'm 13 also and with the people I play locally I beat. They are 15-21. Mango is like 15 and is one of the best current smashers.

Best101

Smash Ace
When did you play competitively? Learn the advance techniques and never play against 3 level nine Coms again. Fighting multiple coms will only make you a weaker player than you were before.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
Id say, if your willing to play comeptitively, you have to change your frame of mind. You have to realize that some charecters just have huge advantages over others when it comes to certian At's (WD) and get-backs. Mainly if you think you can competivley play and win by being a low teir charecter and playing the balences game like you would the comp. you might want to rethink your strategy or frame of mind to playing a high tier charecter and using the moves that work best with their at's. Im all about trying to win these tourneys with other charecters outside of the predictable teir list, but when you get down to it, the diversity of winnning charecters dwindles the tougher the competition.
But as far as getting your charecter (weather low tier or w/e) you can incorperate the WD tactics into them and start playing more ppl competitivley. Its tougher for some charecters than others though, be prepared to lose to some really adventageous combos.
And for playing the comp, they serve really well for learning what counters what on a basic level. and IMO (this is my opinion evreyone) Basics is a HUGE factor. Im talkin like how far exactly your tilts hit, power sheilding, range precsion on all of your attacks and sweet spots/hit boxes.
so i guess in short (now that im done hearing myself talk haha.) evreything you do goes into the pot of improvement, play more crazy WDshrs and learn from them as well. But if you want to win, be prepared to change strategy and sadly enough, your charecter (eventually that is). Good luck keep playin dude.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
oh and age is a pretty big factor.
You cant go to as many tourneys (depending on your distance from them AND if your moms will give you a ride)
sometimes there are restrictions on how much you can play.
your better than the vetrans though. I love this game and im 25, i dont get as much time to play, and the expenses to get to tourneys and enter are also a part of my evreyday survival. and i mean this too, for example you cant eat out or spend as much on bills if you enter a tourney and lose, or you have other responsiblities......
age is a factor but dont let it get you down.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Your always ready for tournament play. Just realize if you enter a real smash tourney (not like a GameSpot tourney or such) odds are you won't even make it out of pools. But you will learn much faster and get tips to be a better player.

Razed

Smash Ace
You'll get destroyed in competitive play. But hey, that's the only way to get better after the advanced techs.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Except 15 bucks :ohwell:
This is easily remedied. Most tournaments that you can show up to aren't strictly tournament matches. For the first hour or so beforehand (and often times afterwards) you can get "friendlies" off of as many people as possible. When the tournament actually begins, you can join if you feel like trying or not join. Even if you don't join, you can watch the people playing in the tournie and take notes on how they play: what they do, what they don't do, how they do it. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, 80% of smashers are EXTREMELY friendly and will help you out with tips and tricks. Undoubtedly, you're gonna end up asking an "easy" question to some prick who will hassle you about it, but this doesn't happen often. Most people are just there to have fun and enjoy the competition. And if they can help bring someone up to a higher level of play, they'll sometimes do it (at least for the sake of more competition).

So if money is bothering you, don't join every tournament. Spectate, observe, play friendlies. But eventually, you're gonna want to join some tournie to see if you've improved.

Me14k

Smash Lord
I am pretty sure you are thinking about going to the same tourny I go to often..The Cave Biweeklies?

We are a fun crowd, you should definitly come. You dont HAVE to participate in the tourny...you can play friendlies (free, for fun matches) instead of the tourny.

The only way to get better is to play better people..everyone that belongs to smashboards should attempt to go to a local tournament.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure you are thinking about going to the same tourny I go to often..The Cave Biweeklies?

We are a fun crowd, you should definitly come. You dont HAVE to participate in the tourny...you can play friendlies (free, for fun matches) instead of the tourny.

The only way to get better is to play better people..everyone that belongs to smashboards should attempt to go to a local tournament.
Yep! I want to attend the next tourney if possible... Thank god it's not this weekend. I have to take a High School placement test on saturday that takes 4 hours :urg:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I probably lose to lvl 1 computers in 6 out of 10 matches...

Yet usually I'll place in the upper half at a tournament.

At tournament, technical skill means almost nothing...but at the same time it means everything.

What I mean by this is that in a tournament of 100 people, usually 90 of the people have near perfect technical skill for their character (I would say 70 people are withing 5-10% of each other in terms of technical ability). About 10% (usually less) don't have any technical skill or are just starting to be technical, after that the only real separation are those who can think. So in reality, while your technical skill will allow you to compete at tournaments, in terms of how you place at them it won't help you one bit.

Top Bottom