• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternative/Rock Album Recommendations?

DerpyCookies

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm kind of new to listening to full albums. I used to listen to only singles, but I've since decided to start. I usually tend to listen to alternative and rock music. So the first album I picked was Siamese Dream. I loved every track. Since then I've listened to 8 more albums. I've liked all of them. Here's all of the ones I have listened to, in no specific order:

http://imgur.com/80UU8HW

The only thing wrong here is I have no clue where to go next. If someone can help me out, anything is nice.

Last edited:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hi, I'm kind of new to listening to full albums. I used to listen to only singles, but I've since decided to start. I usually tend to listen to alternative and rock music. So the first album I picked was Siamese Dream. I loved every track. Since then I've listened to 8 more albums. I've liked all of them. Here's all of the ones I have listened to, in no specific order:

http://imgur.com/80UU8HW

The only thing wrong here is I have no clue where to go next. If someone can help me out, anything is nice.
Alternative rock is a really vague description of music nowadays, but those albums you listed helps narrow things down! Here are some recommendations

first of all, almost all the bands on your album list have made several great albums so you can keep exploring their material and find some great stuff. I recommend Pixies' Surfer Rosa, Nirvana's In Utero, Weezer's Pinkerton, REM's Automatic For the People, Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Beck's Odelay.

here's some other bands/albums you may like!
Silversun Pickups - Swoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvAnC11JEyA

White Stripes - Elephant

Everyone knows "Seven Nation Army", but every song on this album is great! Similar to The Strokes i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn0ENP2lM_Q

Radiohead - OK Computer

Radiohead is my favorite band that is generally referred to as "alternative rock", though some of their later material certainly drifts away from the rock aspect. OK Computer is a great balance of anthemic catchy alt-rock and experimental song structures and focus on atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMwLgZz7BMs

This band was heavily influenced by Smashing Pumpkins, and you can tell. The male vocalist sounds quite similar to Billy Corgan, and the music is like a less aggressive version of the Pumpkins.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443

Modest Mouse is a pretty awesome group. They're not incredibly well known, but they've got some damn good songs.

Another group I'd like to recommend is Archers of Loaf, specifically their album "All The Nations Airports". They're really obscure though so you might have trouble finding the full album. I know I can't find it on YouTube. My step-dad has it on vinyl so that's how I first heard of them. There's some singles on YouTube though, so if you want to check them out, I'd say listen to "Scenic Pastures" and/or "Harnessed in Slums".

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I heavily recommend that you try Neutral Milk Hotel. It's not alt-rock, per se, but In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a lo-fi 90's indie staple. I'll also second the recommendations of The Killers, Modest Mouse, REM, and Radiohead. They're all really awesome bands that I insist everyone should listen to at some point.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Pretty much any Styx album from Equinox to Cornerstone is great, and you will never fully appreciate Pink Floyd without listening to the full album in one sitting. A lot of 70's and 80's progressive were themed albums (as in over the course of an album, they would tell a story or have an overlying theme).

DerpyCookies

Smash Rookie
I heavily recommend that you try Neutral Milk Hotel.
I actually listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea a few weeks back, and enjoyed it very much. One of my favorites. Also, in the picture I had Life's Richest Peasant, so I'm already a REM fan. I also listened to OK Computer recently. I'm going to post a updated pic with all of the albums I've listened to soon.

Last edited:

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
I suggest you listen to The Hives. They are more garage rock with a bit of punk but they are alternative. I hope this is what you are looking for but I can listen to any song by them and love it.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
Radiohead is a great band to try out if you're into 90s alternative rock. I'd strongly recommend listening to albums released after OK Computer if you didn't already. Kid A and In Rainbows especially.
You may also wanna try out Andrew Jackson Jihad. It's more of a folk/punk band, but I think it's worth checking out. It's kind of cynical and whiny, but also pretty funny. I enjoy it at least.

APlainOldBanana

Smash Cadet
I've seen In Utero, and since you're going to listen to In Utero and Nevermind, I recommend Bleach. It's Nirvana's first album, but it's got a lot heavier stuff than In Utero and Nevermind.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I listened to Bleach before they even requested it. I'm planning on listening to Bloc Party soon :)
I was only kidding but hey it'll be good I can tell you that :D.
Other bands like Purity Ring and Broken Bells are amazing too can't believe I didn't list them in my initial list.
Also Coeur de Pirate is brilliant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom