• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Tournament Formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've got some experience with the demo and a day of playing on the japanese full version and the additions to Smash 4 make our previous tournament standard look a bit antiquated. Smash 4 has a lot of janky stages, even by my standards. If I look at a stage and go "sheesh" prior to playing on it, you know it is bad.

Smash 4 on 3DS results in a 1:1 setup to player ratio.

Smash 4 has custom equipment, custom moves, and an "FD" version of every single stage. This presents us with magnified version of a problem that typically only occurred in the later years of a game's lifespan: stage saturation. For balance purposes, we'd need to only allow X number of FDs in some capacity (starter list, counter, etc.) or else we'll have a metagame determined solely by how good you are on FD. I'm not really the kind of guy who likes to let Sakurai determine how we're going to play competitively.

So before we all get a ton of experience (and thus, personal bias) I thought it'd be a good idea to toss out some alternative approaches to running tournaments in the first place. I'll bring up a few main points and we can go from there.

Dave's Stupid Rule

Dave's stupid rule has always been a good one. It is a balancing rule (ICs can't take you back to FD multiple times) as well as a spectator one (no one likes seeing the same stage over and over).

In Smash 4, we not only have multiple versions of FD (making DSR valid only for stage types that aren't FD), but we also have a limited stage list. If we have something like 9 stages available and your character is only good on 3 of them, in a best of 5 with one ban you could find yourself playing on both your good stages and being forced to CP to a place you're bad at on the 5th game.

The solution is going to need to be tailored to whatever stage list we end up adopting (both liberal and conservative versions), but it might be that our stage system simply needs to change.

Set Stage Order

A common theme in other competitive games is that the stages are set for you prior to the tournament. Round 1 is stage X, Round 2 is stage Y, etc., etc.

It may be that, rather than using stage striking, it could be beneficial to simply say "Round 1 is Battlefield, Round 2 is Pictochat FD, Round 3 is Rainbow Road, Round 4 is Yoshi's," etc., etc.

This could change from tournament to tournament and be set up in advance. This would allow players to learn in advance what stages would be played first round.

Stage striking was meant as a superior replacement to Random. Random in Melee often resulted in characters getting destroyed first round due to getting a poor stage -- Falcon on FoD, Jiggs getting Dreamland against a frustrated Marth, etc., etc.

Stage striking only works with a balanced selection of stages. The history of Brawl showed that people are really really bad at this. They make the starters "battlefield, Smashville, FD" and essentially give a CP first round to certain characters first round of EVERY set! That's a huge advantage.

In Smash 4 it may not be possible to have a stage striking list that is actually acceptable, balance-wise. Stage Striking is the best method when you have that list, but what if we can't create one that is balanced?

The solution I'd propose to that would be "set stage order". This would make certain rounds harder or easier for your character, but it could be planned in advance.

The biggest disadvantage to this is that it has the same problem "random" did -- if you're a solo main or have one matchup that you hate on one stage in particular, you might arbitrarily get that.

To do this would be to openly say to players "If you only play one character, you suffer the consequences of your stage choice".

I'd prefer stage striking with a balanced list, but a set stage order might be both faster and more competitive given the strong overlap in stage selection.

The FD problem: Random FD / limit one FD / select FDs legal

You can do random FD mode. It may be that rather than selecting certain FD modes that are legal (one with wall, one without, etc., etc.) we simply say "FD choices must be random, all FD variants are considered the same stage as FD".

Alternatively, we can allow only one FD per set. But if you prefer no walls and I prefer walls, you can CP FD and then take away my CP in the process. That's lame.

We can make "select FDs legal" and simply say "one of each", but there's 6 types. That's 6 FDs!

We could make one FD legal and simply say "This is the only FD variant you can play on, period"

We could make ALL the FDs legal, but this results in the game being primarily FD.

The best solution I can think of is "each player may only counterpick to one FD per set" and simply allow them to pick whatever FD variant they want. If player 1 wants to pick FD as his CP, he can. If player 2 wants to pick FD with walls as his CP after that, he can. If they wanted to strike to vanilla FD for game one, they can.

Bracket is no longer necessary- Round Robin/Pools/Swiss

With Smash 4 3DS, you don't need to make a bracket anymore. You have 1:1 setup to player ratio. If a player is done with his match, he can play his match. It's really really convenient.

The reason we do bracket is because it's fast. It's sloppy, but it is fast.

With 1:1 setup to player ratio we can do things like:

Round Robin - everyone plays everyone. This is the best format bar none, but takes a long time. Not feasible with 100+ entrants!

Pools Only - Do select pools, top X move on, repeat until final pool to determine winners and payout. This has the disadvantage of no finals, but you get way more matchups and it's faster than bracket with limited setups (which Wii U will have). I've used this one extensively and it's always been a pretty big hit. If someone is super into finals you can always make the top 2 players have a final match, but we've always seen the last pool to be basically nothing BUT finals. No one has ever complained about the lack of finals at one of the events themselves.

Swiss format - if you don't know what this is, look it up. It's commonly used in chess. It involves making note of wins, losses, and draws. We don't necessarily need draws. In a nutshell, in round 1 you split the player base into two halves and you have the top half play the bottom half. So with 10 players, seed 1 would play seed 6, seed 2 would play seed 7, etc., etc. From then on you have equals play equals. So 1-0 would play 1-0, 0-1 would play 0-1, then next roudn 2-0 would play 2-0, 1-1 would play 1-1, 0-1 would play 0-1, etc., etc. It's a little complicated to wrap your head around the first time you use it, but it's been used in chess for a reason.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Swiss seems incredibly efficient for the 3DS since every competitor will have his or her own setup. Infinity recently hosted a 12 man tournament with 4 rounds of Swiss followed by a top 4 bracket. The event lasted from 1 PM CST to around 8:30 PM CST (I think, my times may be off since I'm PST), but that was only because every match was on the livestream so that people could watch as much Smash 3DS as possible. Strong Bad can def speak more to this since he attended.

How different are the FD versions of all the stages? I've only played the Battlefield version in the demo.

As someone who's always played a character without a projectile (I don't count firebreath), I usually really hated playing on FD and got so tired of people (read: not super competitive players) saying it's the only real fair stage in the game because it's totally flat. That just makes it a ground for Bowser to get camped harder than a ComicCon Hall H line on Friday night! (Meaning SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much camping.) It's for this reason alone that I'm really hesitant with the idea of both multiple FDs allowed in a set as well as set stages per round. Some characters, even if the stage is a neutral stage, still don't do as well, ie if everyone knows I use Bowser and the round is FD (and using Brawl examples here), people will stay away from MK and Marth and go D3, Diddy, ICs, Olimar, or another spammy projectile character. Battlefield is a much better stage for weaving around projectiles in general (but here MK and Marth do well too), whereas Yoshi's is great for pressuring characters with blind spots beneath them while they're on the platform. From what I played at ComicCon and from what I've seen from videos and streams, Bowser in particular is much faster and has way less a blind spot this time around, but projectile camping will still be an issue.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I participated in East coast's first tournament yesterday and I can confirm that Swiss is certainly time efficient. Similarly to Infinity's situation, the tournament only took long because there was a streaming 3DS set up.

@ Zigsta Zigsta , if I'm not mistaken some FDs have walls that go straight down to the bottom blast zone (similarly to Yoshi's Island in Brawl) so that's definitely a variable for characters with recoveries that work off of walls. (Pacman's side special) I think it's best if we stick to classic FD as part of the stagelist. Having different FDs... is a bit much.

Additionally, I think its important to address the stock issue here. Many have been complaining that 3 stock is time consuming... Thoughts? Many are advocating for a ruleset change to 2 stock. With the introduction of downwards DI to live, WITH the already huge blastzones, it might be necessary to change the format. I've observed that even light characters were living until 150-160.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
@ False False , how many stocks did the tournament you went to use? Infinity's tournament used 2 stocks, 5 minutes for Swiss and 3 stocks, 8 min for bracket.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
When people say "takes too long", do they mean "over 8 minutes"?

If the timer is at 8 minutes, they have 8 minutes to complete their set. There's no reason to lower the stock count unless people are going to time against their wishes. If someone is actively trying to make a timeout and/or people are completing their games at the 6 minute mark and just say that it is "too long", they're just complaining about preference.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Hmmm, I think people are just trying to avoid the length of Brawl matches, hah.

It would just do well for general time constraints. Brawl tournaments generally ended late, and since 'we esports now' I suppose trying to cater to the viewership wouldn't be a bad idea either. Audience retention is at its best up until 5 minutes, so cutting down on the time might show us some improvements we haven't seen before.

For those who don't know, an east coast TO named Doom was trying to organize 1-stock events for Brawl during its dying days, in hopes that it would revive the scene. I heavily supported this because it was efficient, engaging, and was supposed to promote less camping. It also rewarded momentum more. I think we can see similar traits transferring over if we were to adopt a 2 stock ruleset. Not as fast as 1 stock, but not as painstakingly long as 3 stock.

(Also, in For Glory its 2 stocks, just saying.)

Some BRAWL 1 stock matches for you guys, to get some sort of idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnNSEsX-is

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
For the FDs, why not have the "normal" FD as the default one for stage striking purposes? (Unless both players agree to go to a specific FD). Then we let ANY FD be CPed. However, all FDs would be considered the same stage, so if player 1 on "normal" FD, they cannot CP any FD. If Player 2 wants to CP ANY FD however, they can, ect.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
For the FDs, why not have the "normal" FD as the default one for stage striking purposes? (Unless both players agree to go to a specific FD). Then we let ANY FD be CPed. However, all FDs would be considered the same stage, so if player 1 on "normal" FD, they cannot CP any FD. If Player 2 wants to CP ANY FD however, they can, ect.
OS said:
The best solution I can think of is "each player may only counterpick to one FD per set" and simply allow them to pick whatever FD variant they want. If player 1 wants to pick FD as his CP, he can. If player 2 wants to pick FD with walls as his CP after that, he can. If they wanted to strike to vanilla FD for game one, they can.
"All FD variants are considered separate stages. However, if you have previously won on an FD variant or Final Destination itself you may not counterpick to Final Destination or an FD variant"

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Additionally, I think its important to address the stock issue here. Many have been complaining that 3 stock is time consuming... Thoughts? Many are advocating for a ruleset change to 2 stock. With the introduction of downwards DI to live, WITH the already huge blastzones, it might be necessary to change the format. I've observed that even light characters were living until 150-160.
Alternatively, I've seen kill setups that kill Wario at 85.

The game is VERY young, and the controls are VERY different from what we're used to.
The early meta for Melee/Brawl was JUST as slow as this one. I would not change the rules and experiment with Brawl's stock/time for at least a couple of months of the US release. By then everybody should know at least the basic kill setups for their characters. If the games are constantly close to time, then we can worry about changing it then.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
And by "very young" you mean "the demo hasn't been officially release in the US yet" :D

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Alternatively, I've seen kill setups that kill Wario at 85.

The game is VERY young, and the controls are VERY different from what we're used to.
The early meta for Melee/Brawl was JUST as slow as this one. I would not change the rules and experiment with Brawl's stock/time for at least a couple of months of the US release. By then everybody should know at least the basic kill setups for their characters. If the games are constantly close to time, then we can worry about changing it then.
To be fair, Brawl was a completely new game in terms of physics/engine, where as Smash 4 is pretty akin to Brawl.

Furthermore, wouldn't it make sense to start with 2 stocks, and move it to 3 as the meta progresses? It'd be the same thing if we're going from 3 to 2, except the benefit for starting with 2 is that we'll be way more efficient with running tournaments and such. I don't know if you know how strugglebus it is for TOs, but getting blamed for running tournaments until midnight or later while the ruleset is heavily responsible is not a good look.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I am an accomplished TO and Circuit organizer. I have never had a tournament run over. I have run into problems ranging from "the money is missing" to "the power went out on this side of the building" to "where's Mew2King". I had a 60+ tournament with a whopping 7 setups, one of which was on a tiny travel TV no one wanted to play on. The ruleset is never responsible for the tournament running over because the TO knows the ruleset and sets it in advance.

"But you don't run Melee, PM, Brawl, and 64 singles, doubles, crews, amateur bracket, and captain falcon only tournaments! Your tournaments are only 130 entrants max, you should try 300! etc. etc."

If a tournament runs over time, it is absolutely always the TOs fault 100% of the time with one exception: non-tournament issues such as natural disasters, power outages, police, and other "real world" stuff. Even then some of it is the TOs fault. If it's associated with the event at all and causes you to be late, it's the TOs fault. Always. People like to talk about how good X or Y is at hosting a tournament and then blame the game when they're ending at 2 a.m. in a hotel room. It's not the game, it's the TO. Always the TO.

"Melee ran over because Brawl took too long" is incorrect. What should be said is "The TO didn't have enough setups and so Melee and Brawl had to share. We have an 8 minute timer and bo3 sets, making 24 minutes a set a possibility with X amount of time inbetween sets, but our TO didn't plan for this. Because he didn't plan appropriately, Melee started later and ran over time."

"Our tournament ran late because person X went to get food and his car broke down, so it took like 45 minutes to get him back to the venue" is incorrect. What should be said is "Someone was late to their match and wasn't DQed."

It's hard being a good TO and it involves making hard decisions. It sucks. I like playing Smash and I've loved going to midwest events where we have fun side-tournaments with things like Captain Falcon only singles/doubles, FFA with all items and stages, random doubles, all sorts of stuff. We do those on Friday. The tournament is Saturday. There is no overlap because if there was it'd put the tournament at risk. Venues we can't get on Friday? We don't do side events until after the tournament is over -- the good TOs don't anyway.

People want Melee, PM, Brawl, Smash 64, Smash 4 3DS, Smash 4 Wii U? Yeah, no. That doesn't work and it has never worked. You're rolling the dice and saying "we WANT all these things, so we're just going to kind of hope it turns out okay. Please ignore the fact that we're legally allowing each and every set for every game to take 24 minutes."

If you have an 8 minute timer, you are saying that it can take 2 hours just to go through a 32 man single elimination bracket with optimal setups for first round.

If you have 3 games with an 8 minute timer, it's 6 hours just to go through a 32 man single elmination bracket with the same amount of setups. You'd need triple the setups to run Melee, PM, and Brawl simultaneously. If you don't have triple the setups, you've stalled the tournament.

If you allow people to sign up for multiple events, you're vocalizing that it is acceptable for there to be a 24 minute gap between their sets in each game. If someone is up in 3 games at once, it can take one and a half hours for them to allow all three games to move on.

You know what'd be better than making Smash 4, the only game with a 1:1 setup ratio, have less stocks than the others? Telling someone they can only sign up for one event at a time. BAM! Done. Solved your tournament timing issues.

I get it, I really do. The "norm" has become "let's play all the smash games" and some tournaments have had great success with this. But we reached that tipping point a while ago. TOs have to start capping entrants, forcing people to only sign up for one game, or renting TVs to guarantee the right amount of setups. What are you going to do when Smash 4 Wii U comes out and suddenly it's taking up your setups? Lower it to 1 stock to make more room?

If you want to cut down on tournament time but sacrifice the quality of the game itself to do so, feel free to vocalize that. "I think the time a tournament takes is more important than the quality of the results" doesn't sit well with me though. Personally I'm just going to let Melee and PM disappear from the area and the MW East will be hosting primarily Smash 4 tournaments with the intent on playing Smash 4 and finding the best Smash 4 players.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
To be fair, Brawl was a completely new game in terms of physics/engine, where as Smash 4 is pretty akin to Brawl.

Furthermore, wouldn't it make sense to start with 2 stocks, and move it to 3 as the meta progresses? It'd be the same thing if we're going from 3 to 2, except the benefit for starting with 2 is that we'll be way more efficient with running tournaments and such. I don't know if you know how strugglebus it is for TOs, but getting blamed for running tournaments until midnight or later while the ruleset is heavily responsible is not a good look.
While the game is similar to Brawl, it's flow is currently about as fast as Brawl, if not faster... and that's while everybody is bad and getting used to controls/mechanics... still don't see why we would need to change to 2-stock at all.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I've been toying with the idea of set stage order. It's looking like BF, FD and Yoshi's are a clear cut above the rest, but I haven't played on stages like Lumiose City Gym, Arena Ferox and the AC Island (I felt like the zooming in and out was obnoxious) enough yet. Other than Brinstar, that seems like the extent of stages worth considering, so a set order makes sense if we end up with like 3 legal stages and would have the added benefit of being less complicated than striking, bans, DSR etc. If we do end up with a traditional system bans and DSR are likely still not feasible due to the low number of stages, so then it's just a matter of striking to the first stage and counterpicking from whatever is left. Under those settings it wouldn't even matter whether we consider all FDs the same stage or not, although I would only have the original FD as part of the striking process. Regardless of what it ends up as, we have a situation with a limited stage list that will heavily factor into character choice.

I agree that running round robin or Swiss is very appealing for the 3DS version of the game, although at the same time it might not have main event status often enough for that. We have three tournaments coming up that will at least feature the game, so we'll see how things play out.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm going to be running "all pools" for all of my 3DS events even through round robin or swiss will be viable, simply because "all pools" can transfer to the Wii U version when it comes out. If "all pools" becomes familiar here it might make for faster tournaments with less setups when the Wii U version comes out as well as make room for more side events (as two pools of 6 can only be playing on 6 setups at once, etc.,)

While I'm basically using an embargo on all other smash games at my events, it will also allow for easy match scheduling. If you do "all pools" you can have them run in heats -- "Pools 1, 2, and 3 for smash 4 play now", and then use pools 4, 5, and 6 to play their bracket matches ni Melee / PM.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Does anyone have guidelines for who they typically decide how to create pools? I understand pools pretty intrinsically and can make them on the fly, but most can't. I'd like to have some sort of pool system "here's how you make them" guide with the intent of making a 3 or 4 round pool system.

Once that is created I'd want to create a spreadsheet that will automatically determine how many pools you should have based on how many setups you have + player count, then how many should advance, etc., etc.

Seems like a pain to create so I'm hoping someone already has something written up I can just copy from. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom