• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Palette Contest: Round 5 Zelda Open

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Welcome to the Alternate Palette Contest!

Alternate palettes are recolors of characters found in Super Smash Bros. and has been incorporated as a major gameplay element since the 64 days. In fact, many players specifically choose a palette color to represent themselves within the Smash theme. In addition, many palettes are chosen by the development staff due to having iconic ties with their respective franchises while others just look cool and interesting. Regardless, they are fun and it’s alwats great to see new ones come out.

This contest is designed for contestants to design a palette swap for a particular character which alternates every round. After each round, three judges including myself will decide who wins that round. I tried this before during the Smash 4 cycle so let’s see if we can try it again!

Round 5: New Single Color Palette Swap for Zelda

Princess Zelda wins the spot for the fifth round among characters chosen by the judges. Zelda has tons of potential in a color swap form various games within the Zelda library. You are free to use Smash related artwork, Hyrule Warriors, or any other 3D render artwork with the Princess. You do not need to use the one I provided above.

Contest ends May 10th

Round 5 is now open.

Judges

There are currently 3 Judges for the character contest:

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
splat splat
@「Mega Bidoof」

Judging Criteria

There are five criteria from which judges will judge on.​
  1. Iconic (The palette swap is deemed iconic to its respective franchise.)
  2. Presentation and Skill (The palette swap looks professional and clean.)
  3. Creative (The palette swap is creative in its design and implementation.)
  4. On Point (The palette swap follows the topic prompt to a T.)
  5. Accuracy (The palette swap is accurate to its reference content.)
Guidelines and Rules

There are a number of rules to follow for this contest but nothing too confusing.​
  1. One submission per user.
  2. No editing submissions after already submitting
  3. Please remotely upload your images from an offsite hosting program to make it easier to add the image to the Hall of Fame.
  4. Please make sure the image 300 x 300. Points may be deducted if the image itself is bad due to resizing. PNG is preferred.
  5. Official Wii U character artwork can be used as can official artwork from other games. Please try to use a 3D render if possible.
  6. Please use a solid white background.
  7. No plagiarizing.
  8. You can include a title, description, and source image (i.e. Dark Link image for the Dark Link palette swap.). This isn’t required.
  9. This contest does not include alternate costumes for characters such as Wario, Little Mac, etc. s please don’t submit Wedding Suit Bowser and expect it to slide.
Any submissions that do not adhere to the rules will be disqualified with the user having a second chance to correct. Plagiarism is not accepted and will result a temp ban from submitting artwork.

For Judges

I am now accepting two extra judges! If you wish to be a judge, PM me!

Judges need to:​
  1. Be knowledgeable of Smash, Nintendo, and gaming history.
  2. Understand about palettes and recolors. Experience in this field is recommended.
  3. Work well with others
  4. Understand the criteria of the contest
  5. Be timely with their judging submissions
  6. Have an eye for design and art.
Judging Process

Judges take all the submissions and pick their top three favorites. Following that, the four that appear the most that are in the top three are then judged upon using the above criteria minus #4. Here is an image that @「Mega Bidoof」 made to best represent how we judge the top four submissions:

The contest is now open!!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hall of Fame
Forged by dedication, tempered in the crucible, judged by the almighty, and honored in the halls of Valhalla; these are the Palette Swaps that have won each Round followed by the honorable Submissions.

Round 4 Winner: Springmonchan by @Uffe and Ninjara Spring Man by AlphaSSB AlphaSSB

Congratulations Uffie and AlphaSSB!

Score: 49​

This round was particularly tough with less submissions than previous rounds as well as a amazing submissions by contestants! It ended up being a tie with a 49 scoring. This is the first time this has happened!

Notable Mentions

Remember that a Notable Mentions means that your submission had made it to the judging process.
This seems like a fun game. Here's my first go at it. Not the most original idea, but nonetheless:

Springtron-styled Spring Man

Source:

Higher Quality:
I didn't add the mask, because that would make it more of an alternate costume than a palette swap, due to how Spring Man and Springtron are different characters, and that would go against Rule #9.
This one was tough, but I love playing this game.

Since we're dealing with boxers, I had to go with the OG Smash boxer: Presenting SpringMac!

Can't wait to see the rest!

Gotta say, I wasn't really considering Springman in Smash before, but I kinda really want to see it now:grin:

Round 3 Winner: Akuma Ryu CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica

Congratulations CaptainAmerca
Score: 49

The judges would like to thank all the contestants in creating amazing Ryu palettes. The judges felt there were tons of great submissions that truly made a case for these swaps to be included should Ryu return again.

Notable Mentions

Remember that a Notable Mentions means that your submission had made it to the judging process. We normally judge based on four chosen submissions but this time we increased it to five due to reasons.
Hinata Hinata Red Ryu: 46
Starcutter Starcutter Violent Ken Ryu: 44
@Uffe Dan Hibiki: 42
Oddball Oddball Dan Hibiki: 47

Once again, tried to get this done quick. I'm super in love with this contest, and I'm always excited to find out who's next so I can get my renders in.

Evil Ryu

Origin
This skin originates from many Street Fighter games, and represents Ryu if he were to give in to the Satsui no Hado, an evil energy that flows through him. However, this particular render takes heavy inspiration from Evil Ryu's apperance in Street Fighter IV.

Source Image

Hm, I don't really think Ryu has a lot of options to get creative but I tried.

VIOLENT KEN RYU

Based off Violent Ken, a version of Ken who is possessed by M. Bison's Psycho Power. That's why I tried to make him glow, haha
Ryu is tough - Don't really know Street Fighter, but here's my hand at it.

Based on Akuma

Dan Hibiki First appeared in Street Fighter Alpha
Well, now I feel bad. I had the exact same idea. Here's my version.

Round 2 Winner: Phazon Ridley vaanrose vaanrose

Congratulations Vaanrose

Phazon Ridley

The judges would like to thank all the contestants in creating amazing Ridey palettes that truthfully. Made judging very hard. Especially for the first time. The judges felt there were tons of great submissions that truly made a case for these swaps to be included should Ridley be playable.

Notable submissions includes:
Hinata Hinata “Fusion Mission Ridley”
Starcutter Starcutter “Frozen Ridley”
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB “Meta Ridley”

Sorry for getting this submission in so late at night (or early in the morning, depending on your perspective), but I was really proud of this idea and wanted to make sure I got mine in before anyone else did the same thing.

Submissions:

Zero Mission Ridley

Origin
This skin is based off of Ridley's appearance from Metroid: Zero Mission. It's more specifically based off his official artwork from that game, since the artwork has details that aren't captured very well by the sprite.

Source Image

Alright, time for my attempt at this.

Captain N Ridley
View attachment 140535

Origin
This recolor is based off of Ridley's color scheme in his appearance in Captain N: The Game Master, minus the torso since I was unable to do it.

Source image

Golden Ridley.
View attachment 140546

Based on Super Metroid.

I was going for an ALIENS feel for this one.
I'm so happy ♥♥
Here is my Gandrayda recolored Ridley
View attachment 140557 View attachment 140559

Suprise! I did get one finished!

FROZEN RIDLEY

Frozen Ridley was in Metroid: Fusion, as a frozen enity, presumably dead.

Reference:
Oh, and I don't think this will be the one to be judged, but there likely wouldn't be Ice on the in-game model, so here it is without it

Took the easy route with this one, and made an alt based off Meta Ridley. Was much easier to do than Mario. Just separated the wings, mouth, eyes, and claws. Mostly just played with monotone and contrast tools. I originally had the claws the same shade of grey, to match the claws on Meta Ridley, but it looked a bit too bland. Fortunately, closer examination of Meta Ridley shows some red claws on top of the wings and tip of the tail. So, out of curiosity, applied it to all the claws and felt it looked a bit better. Also made they eye a bit more yellow to match.

Phazon Ridley

Thanks everyone! The Mario recolors were amazing. I've gotta say, if we don't have a Super Mario Maker recolor like that, I'll be disappointed.

Here's my version of Ridley, modelled after Little Birdie

Of course, My absolute first choice would be a different one, but it's not exactly original...
Round 1 Winner: Toad Mario CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica

Congratulations CaptainAmerica!
Ooh, this sounds like a really fun contest. I still see a few color flaws if I look close enough. Good thing for zooming out!

I wanted to try something different. Mario's had lots of recolors based on various costumes, so I decided to recolor based on another character. Since Peach tends to get a Daisy recolor, I figured it'd be fun to try it.

So for those of you disappointed that Toad isn't playable, I give you Toad Mario!

The judges would like to thank all the contestants in creating amazing Mario palettes that truthfully. Made judging very hard. Especially for the first time. Many judges felt that the Toad Mario swap was excellent in design, extraordinarily creative, and references an iconic element within the Mario series.

Notable submissions includes vaanrose vaanrose “Retro Fire Mario”, Starcutter Starcutter “Mario Maker Mario”, and Hinata Hinata “Flying Mario”.

Submissions

Sadly, I have more than one entry for Mario, so I guess I'll just have to go with the one that's more notable...

Ice Mario
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Origin
This Ice Mario variant first debuted in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. He attacks enemies by freezing them with ice balls, enabling him to defeat certain enemies that Fire Mario can't defeat, such as the Dry Bones.

Source Images

Appearance In-Game

I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Flying Mario

Origin

This skin comes from Super Mario Galaxy, and is the form Mario takes on when he collects the Red Star in that game. It allows Mario to fly freely through the Comet Observatory and Gateway Galaxy, similar to the Wing Cap, but with much more freedom in control.

Source Image
Oh man, I was looking for an excuse to Photoshop some stuff!

MARIO MAKER MARIO

Source
Note to self: Never try a white pallete costume again EVER
View attachment 139845 View attachment 139846

I really need some photoshop lessons. Some pixels are really annoying. I'm not good on the final polishing part
Shadow Mario

Not my best made, but wanted to get the idea in before anyone else!
I'm quite partial to the original Fire Mario color scheme.

Ooh, this sounds like a really fun contest. I still see a few color flaws if I look close enough. Good thing for zooming out!

I wanted to try something different. Mario's had lots of recolors based on various costumes, so I decided to recolor based on another character. Since Peach tends to get a Daisy recolor, I figured it'd be fun to try it.

So for those of you disappointed that Toad isn't playable, I give you Toad Mario!

Gotta go with the OG Super Mario palette.

Classic Mario (or Retro Mario if you prefer)

Not the best when it comes to doing recolors, but I'm trying to learn. Figure I'll throw my Cappy into the ring.

Had a bit of trouble getting the browns to match the suit's, so I got as close as I could get. Currently using Paint.net for doing recolors. Anyone have suggestions for add-ons or other apps?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Saved for future purposes

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I hope this gets nice attention

Could be fun to watch

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sadly, I have more than one entry for Mario, so I guess I'll just have to go with the one that's more notable...

Ice Mario

Origin
This Ice Mario variant first debuted in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. He attacks enemies by freezing them with ice balls, enabling him to defeat certain enemies that Fire Mario can't defeat, such as the Dry Bones.

Source Images

Appearance In-Game

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Flying Mario

Origin

This skin comes from Super Mario Galaxy, and is the form Mario takes on when he collects the Red Star in that game. It allows Mario to fly freely through the Comet Observatory and Gateway Galaxy, similar to the Wing Cap, but with much more freedom in control.

Source Image

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I forget to mention this round ends on April 3rd!

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh man, I was looking for an excuse to Photoshop some stuff!

MARIO MAKER MARIO

Source

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Looking great guys! Funny but I forgot to mention the format of a submission but Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy nailed it! Hopefully, we will get a few more submissions!

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Just for curiosity (and dumbness)
For this Mario challenge we can use only his SSB4 render or can I use another? (Still it's hard to find a better render than this one)

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For this Mario challenge we can use only his SSB4 render or can I use another? (Still it's hard to find a better render than this one)
"Official Wii U character artwork can be used as can official artwork from other games. Please try to use a 3D render if possible."

Yes, you can use other renders.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes, you can use SSB4 or 5 official artwork as well as other artwork from other games unless specified in the topic prompt.

This Is brawl Costume pallete
This is not an alternate palette color swap as it’s just Mario’s Brawl artwork. Plus, it’s not against a white background. Therefore, this submission will not be accepted.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Note to self: Never try a white pallete costume again EVER
Sem título 1.png
marioalt.png

Inspiration:
White_tanooki_mario.png

I really need some photoshop lessons. Some pixels are really annoying. I'm not good on the final polishing part

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I was just hanging out seeing what the thread was about but then I noticed it was Venus so I had to make Talio

I didn't spend very long on it and am not considering this a real submission but I still had to, you understand

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was just hanging out seeing what the thread was about but then I noticed it was Venus so I had to make Talio

I didn't spend very long on it and am not considering this a real submission but I still had to, you understand
And we have a winner!

Needs more emergency induction ports, though.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm quite partial to the original Fire Mario color scheme.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Almost every one of these would be viable in my eyes. Love the Ice Mario, Flying Mario, Super Mario Maker Mario, Shadow Mario, original Fire Mario, and even the Toad color palletes!

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Gotta go with the OG Super Mario palette.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Looks great everyone!

Just a reminder we have about 5 days left of Round 1 so finish those palette swaps and submit them! Judging will then begin and should take about a day or two.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi everyone! I just wanted to change the deadline date from April 3rd to April 2nd! Sorry if this hinders anyone’s plans for their submission but I made a mistake.

splat

Smash Lord
Not an actual entry (judging), but I had half an hour to spare and wanted to give it a try.

DUN-DUN-DUN-DUDUN-DUN-DUDUDUDUN

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Not the best when it comes to doing recolors, but I'm trying to learn. Figure I'll throw my Cappy into the ring.

Had a bit of trouble getting the browns to match the suit's, so I got as close as I could get. Currently using Paint.net for doing recolors. Anyone have suggestions for add-ons or other apps?

Oddball

Smash Lord
I use gimp for my recolors. if you want to use it, I can give you a hand there.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
24 hours left of the first round which will be followed by the judging period which will last a day or two. Good luck everyone!

Oddball

Smash Lord
Are you going to announcing the next character before the judging or after?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Haven’t decided yet. Mario was just a test run and I was worried if it would take a long time to get recolors done. But i was surprised by how quick people got them out.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Mario has a fairly simple design. Characters with more elaborate designs are going to take longer.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Indeed. This first round was a test round of sorts. Future rounds may be shorter or longer depending on what’s required.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you everyone for your submissions! Round 1 is officially closed and the judges will be deciding the winner. As this is the first time for the judging round, please keep in mind it may take longer than usual so we apologize for any delays.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 1 Winner: Toad Mario CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica

Congratulations CaptainAmerica!

The judges would like to thank all the contestants in creating amazing Mario palettes that truthfully. Made judging very hard. Especially for the first time. Many judges felt that the Toad Mario swap was excellent in design, extraordinarily creative, and references an iconic element within the Mario series.

Notable submissions includes vaanrose vaanrose “Retro Fire Mario”, Starcutter Starcutter “Mario Maker Mario”, and Hinata Hinata “Flying Mario”.​

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The fact that my submission stuck out is all I could ask for, really.

Congratulations, CaptainAmerica! Your submission definitely deserved the win.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 2: New Single Color Palette Swap for Ridley

Now time for a BIG round! After having a BIG turnout for Round 1, it’s time to even get an ever BIGGER turnout! Ridley is hands down one of the most requested newcomers to not yet appear playable in Smash! But could this change for Smash 5? It’s time to create a single color swap for the Space Dragon! The only requirement consists of creating a color swap for Ridley and not alternate versions/clones/robots, etc. just the purple space dragon.

Contest ends April 11th.

Round 2 is now open.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sorry for getting this submission in so late at night (or early in the morning, depending on your perspective), but I was really proud of this idea and wanted to make sure I got mine in before anyone else did the same thing.

Zero Mission Ridley

Origin
This skin is based off of Ridley's appearance from Metroid: Zero Mission. It's more specifically based off his official artwork from that game, since the artwork has details that aren't captured very well by the sprite.

Source Image

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just to clarify to everyone on what I said earlier, color swaps of aridley representing his alternate versions such as omega or meta is fine but please do not use models other than normal Ridley

Last edited:
Top Bottom