• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate costumes/colours you plan to use for your mains in Ultimate?

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I love the idea of alternate costumes and colours for fighters in Smash. They provide a far more personal link between fighter and player than simply picking the default option. I know for me personally, I always use alternate colours on my fighters for a greater sense of identity within the game.

So for all of the costumes shown off in Ultimate so far, which alternate costumes/colours are you planning to use for your mains?
If your main's costumes haven't been seen yet in Ultimate, feel free to post the costumes you used for that character in previous Smash titles!
Also, feel free to list more than one per character, or explain why you use a specific alt.!

Here's a link to all of the alternate costumes/colours seen so far in Ultimate:
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Alternate_costume_(SSBU)

Here's my list:

:ultmarth:- Green colour. I actually have a story to go with this one. I decided yo switch from Link to Marth as my true main in Melee, because I was getting my butt handed to me by players who were using better fighters. So, to honour my previous main, I decided to use Marth's green colour. It grew on me VERY quickly, and now I use Green Marth in every installment in Smash. It's nice too, because I barely see anyone using Green Marth online or in tourneys.

:ultike: - Greil (Yellow) and Black Knight (Black). So in Smash 4, I exclusively used the Yellow costume, because it's heavily based off of Ike's father's colour scheme in Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. I thought it looked really good on the Radiant Dawn model of Ike (It kind of fit thematically with Ike's character as well.) With Ultimate, however, the yellow costume is now on PoR Ike. I personally like Radiant Dawn Ike's design more, as it better fits with his play style in Smash IMO. So I've decided to go with his updated black colour scheme, which is based off of Ike's arch nemesis, the Black Knight. I'll still probably end up using the yellow costume every now and then.

:ultganondorf: - Maroon and White/Purple. I loved Ganondorf's design in Melee (especially the beige/brown cape that they gave him), so I'm going with the Maroon colour scheme, as that scheme gives him a brown cape. The other alt. I'm going with is the White/Purple colour. I always used Ganondorf's white hair colour alt. in Brawl/Smash 4, as I felt like it perfectly fit Twilight Princess Ganondorf. (Or as I called him, Grandpadorf) I still plan on using its spiritual successor in Ultimate, but now it makes him look more like a Winter Warlock. XD

:ultlink: - Fierce Deity (Gray), and Skyloft (White). Quite a few new/altered costumes for Link this time around, but the two costumes I used in Smash 4 (Fierce Deity and Skyloft alts.) have mostly remained intact. Heck the skyloft alt. looks even better now, since Link no longer wears his cap for that one. I'll probably stick to his Fierce Deity costume for the most part though, since it comes from my favourite game of all time (Majora's Mask), and hell, Fierce Deity in and of itself is awesome.

:ultlittlemac:- Super Punch Out!! (Yellow Hair). I have never played Super Punch Out!! before, but I chose this colour for Mac back in Smash 4, because it made him look a little bit like a Super Saiyan. XD Will keep it the same for Ultimate.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Gonna go with the RD Ike style.

The white color was my go-to, but now that that's out, I'll stick with the default for my boy.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
:ultrobin - Back in Smash 4, I almost always went for the default, but sometimes I'd like to shake things up with a little and use the other alternate costumes. If I were to list them by how often I used them, it'd look something like this.

Default - 75%

F!Robin - 10%

Blue - 5%

Green - 5%

White - 5%

I pretty much never use F!Robin's Pink, Yellow, or Red alts.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultbayonetta:: Red Player 2
:ultbowser:: Normal
:ultbowserjr:: Lemmy
:ultfalcon:: Pink
:ultcloud:: Red Player 1
:ultcorrin:: Red Female
:ultdk:: Pink
:ultfox:: Wolf
:ultganondorf:: Red
:ultinkling:: They all look cool
:ultkingdedede:: Green
:ultkirby:: Normal
:ultkrool:: Purple, but we haven't seen all of them yet
:ultlink:: Depends on how I feel.
:ultlucas:: The dog shirt one
:ultluigi:/:ultmario:: Waluigi and Builder for Mario
:ultmarth:/:ultlucina:: Red
:ultmetaknight:: Galacta Knight
:ultmewtwo:: Red
:ultness:: White
:ultpacman:: OVEN MITTS
:ultpalutena:: Black/Red design
:ultpeach:: Red, White, and Yellow.
:ultdaisy:: So far white, but if she has better ones than Peach I'll use them too.
:ultpikachu:: Wizard hat
:ultpichu:: Same
:ultpit:/:ultdarkpit:: Any of them
:ultridley:: Any, but probably meta Ridley
:ultrobin: Red Female
:ultrosalina:: Red
:ultroy:: Red
:ultdarksamus:: Any, but probably default
:ultsheik:: OOT
:ultrichter:: Any
:ultsnake:: Any
:ultrob:: Famicon
:ultpokemontrainer:: Any
:ulttoonlink:: Any
:ultwiifittrainer:: Red Female
:ultwolf:: Pink
:ultzelda:: Any
:ultzss:: Any

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm pretty boring and tend to stick to their default colors, but I do favor certain alts that resemble other defaults.

:ultbowser: - I like his orange alt because it reminds me of his Super Mario 64 renders
:ultbowserjr: - Wendy O.
:ultjigglypuff: - I like when she has a ribbon.
:ultlink: - Tunic of the Wild. For sure. I'm a huge fan of the look, yeah I even like the shorts.
:ultmewtwo: - The reddish one. It reminds me of one of the alternate colors for Mewtwo in Pokemon Stadium. And I used the crap out of Mewtwo in Stadium because I was a dumb little kid with no code of honor or a strong concept of what is considered cheap.
:ultridley: - Will probably go with Meta Ridley. I like that it's face looks more like traditional Ridley. The default is a little too gnarly imo.
:ultsamus: - Maybe the white suit. I wish she had a proper Fusion skin instead of just a fusion inspired recolor.
:ultsimon: - If he's got a costume that resembles the SNES game I'll choose that one.
:ulttoonlink: - I usually stick to the ones that look like Oldschool Link. Weird that there's two of them as of SSB4
:ultwario: - I play biker Wario and Overalls Wario equally

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Probably the same as last time, black female corrin, white zs samus, and advent children black cloud, on a side note I was actually just thinking the other day of what alt I would use for my first match (plan to play as link) and think I am going to go with the dark blue botw alt.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
:ultroy:Alt blue
:ultinkling:Purple boy
:ultpichu:Goggles
:ultyounglink:Blue
:ultryu:Gray
:ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultganondorf::ultrichter:Default

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
For my mains:
:ultrob: Red ROB(in)
:ultolimar: Default
:ultbowserjr: Ludwig
:ulttoonlink: Default or classic-looking alts; though if he'd get an Outset Island costume I'd never change out of it

piplupwater

Smash Rookie
Veterans
:ultlink: Default or Blue Royal Guard Outfit I'm a little pissed about this one. Link has been my #1 main since 64 and i always stick with the zora tunic. oh well..
:ultpit: Blue
:ultmarth: Blue (Mystery of the Emblem Style)
:ultfalco: Blue
:ultgreninja: Default & Black (assuming it's returning for ultimate)
:ultshulk: Blue (Sharla Style)
:ultzss: Blue or Blue Zero Mission Outfit (assuming it's returning for ultimate)
:ultpalutena: Cyan & Blue
:ultroy: Blue
:ultcorrin: Blue
:ultrobin: Blue
:ultmegaman: Cyan & White (Air Shooter)
:ultdiddy: Blue
:ultyounglink: Blue (Zora Tunic)
:ulttoonlink: Blue
:ultganondorf: Blue (Third Costume)
:ultduckhunt: Border Collie (Third Costume) & Dalmation
:ulticeclimbers: 4th Costume (Dark Blue Popo & Light Blue Nana) i actually like most of their costumes so i might switch it up now and then.
:ultpokemontrainer: Blue (X & Y Calem)
:ultpichu: GOGGLES BABY!!!!!!

Newcomers
:ultrichter: Default but need to see the rest first
:ultkrool: Default & Blue but still keeping fingers crossed for DKC2 costume of some sort.
:ultchrom: Default still need to see the rest

Let the record show... i like blue.

Uffe

Smash Hero
:ultness:Young Ness (5th)/Master Belch Ness (7th) I normally used the blue color scheme for Ness. I just like blue in general. When he got his Master Belch t-shirt, I used it for a while, but went back to his 5th color palette. I use both of them interchangeably.
:ultsamus:Fusion Suit (2nd)/Mass Production Type (6th) I had fallen in love with Samus' Fusion Suit back when Metroid Fusion came out. When she was given that color scheme in Brawl, I just had to use it, and I stuck with it ever since. However, I've also liked her green armor for a long time, so like Ness, I use these interchangeably as well.
:ultfalcon:GP Legend Outfit (5th)/(8th) I'm glad they gave Captain Falcon a more bluish color for his outfit. It's why I liked being on blue team back in the first Smash game. I used it in Melee as well, and then with the updated version in Brawl, I stuck with it after. I like his 8th color palette as well, specifically because of the blue, pink, and purple hues.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultzelda: Ill be mostly using her TP alt. Its my favorite Zelda and my favorite alt out of all eight of her skins. Ill probably also use her dark purple alt since I like it in Smash 4 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
:ultkirby: Might use the orange one, but Kirby always looks weird to me in anything but pink so probably default for the most part.
:ultolimar: Red for Olimar, default and red for Alph
:ulticeclimbers: Brown/White and Orange/Purple
:ultyoshi: Blue's my favorite. I tend to just cycle through the colors, though.
:ultduckhunt: Brown with brown and blue duck
:ultpikachu:RIP Goggles. Either Calem's hat or Moon's hat.
:ultbowser:Green. I always like how it looked on him.
:ultpokemontrainer:Hilda(White) for now. I'm going to need a better look at all the Pokemon before I decide for sure.

D

Deleted member

Well, I don't really use alternate colors in Smash, but for alternate costumes, I definitely will go for:
:ultlink:: Tunic of The Wild
:ultridley:: Meta Ridley
:ultike:: Radiant Dawn Ike (his best design)
:ultbayonetta:: Bayonetta 1 outfit.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
:ultike:-Greil/Brave Ike color
:ultlucina: Cherche/Pink hair-black outfit
:ultlucas:-Duster, Default, or Claus, I don't really have a must pick.
:ultmarth:-White or Blue and silver
:ultrichter: Default or undecided (must see all colors)

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:ultrob: Red ROB(in)
yum...?

Anyway...

:ultcloud:: Default Advent Children.
:ultcorrin:: Default, Pink or Black Palette of Female Corrin.
:ultganondorf:: Whichever one is the least awful Default.
:ultike:: Uncertain.
:ultlink:: Default, as although I have no interest in playing BOTW, I do like the design they gave Link.
:ultlucina:: If they bring it back, her black palette. Otherwise, default.
:ultmetaknight:: If they bring it back, his red palette. Otherwise, default.
:ultmewtwo:: Default or Black.
:ultsamus:: Default, Purple or Black.
:ultzss:: Uncertain.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Default for most, except Famicom R.O.B., but that's because I wish it was the default design

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
There are people out there who main :ultmario: and DON'T use the Fire Flower color scheme, Those people frighten and confuse me.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
There are people out there who main :ultmario: and DON'T use the Fire Flower color scheme, Those people frighten and confuse me.
Well there's a thing called preferences, I'll admit it a shame it's gone but I never picked that costume. I always picked yellow until 4 now it's always purple.

Iridium

Smash Hero
For me (:ultlink:), I'm stuck between nearly all of them. The ones that get me the most are the Royal Guard alt, Dark Link, Hylian Tunic, Tunic of the Wild and Fierce Deity. All are fine, but these are my main picks.

As for :ultsonic:, light blue, original, or dark.

:ultmegaman: for me would be red, maybe green and blue.

:ultpit:: red or black (or blond :troll:).

:ultmarth:: red (or course), dark blue or gold.

:ultmewtwo: for me would be original or dark (heck yeah!).

The others characters I'm interested in (mains) aren't in the demo, so I'll wait.

Also, finally, the avatar crisis for me has been solved!

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:ultmarth: - The White One.
:ultroy: - The second Blue (if it returns).
:ultcorrin: - The Pink one.
:ulticeclimbers: - The Purple and Orange one.
:ultsnake: - The Red One.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mostly use defaults for everyone but I want to experiment, so:
:ultpalutena:: Viridi palette
:ultzelda:: Twilight Princess palette
:ultbayonetta:: Bayonetta 1 red palette
:ultjigglypuff:: Flower
:ultpokemontrainer:: Leaf
:ultisabelle:: Pink palette
:ultness::ultrobin:ultrichter::ultwiifittrainer:: default

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Here's my list of alt colours/costumes that I use for all my mains and other characters.

:ultpeach: : Red and White - because fire Peach from 3D world was my favorite
:ultwolf: : Pink - unless the white one or green one returns so pink for now
:ultfox: : Purple - since Wolf is back I might change it to the black one or grey one
:ultlucario: : Black - the white one from brawl was my favorite so I hope that colour returns in Ultimate.
:ultmewtwo: : Red or dark - either of these is my favorite
:ultjigglypuff: : Ribbon/bow - I'm so hoping for the crown to return because that was my favorite costume
:ultroy: : Gold - been my fav since melee
:ultbowser: : Orange - I love his pink hair and pink is one of my fav colours
:ultyoshi: : Default - But I might use his alt from Crafted World
:ultfalco: : Purple - I might change it to the black one or blue one
:ultbowserjr: : Roy or Ludwig - These two are my favorite koopalings
:ultrosalina: : Red and White - another favorite but I might change it in Ultimate
:ultpokemontrainer: : White - I always use the white colour for Charizard
:ultzelda: : Pink - one of my fav colours for her
:ultlittlemac: : Default - I might change it to the grey one with blond hair
:ultwiifittrainer: : Male trainer - I only use the male alt
:ultbayonetta: : Second costume - I like using her costume from her first game because its my favorite look for her
:ultgreninja: : Black - love the way he looks
:ultrobin : Red and White - reminds me of the white mage from final fantasy
:ultmetaknight: : Pink - his pink colour in Ultimate is now galacta knight so yay

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultsamus:: Gravity Suit.
:ultdarksamus:: I'm not sure. I haven't seen all the colors.
:ultzss:: Justin Bailey.
:ultridley:: Super Metroid Box Art.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Just the green alts, I guess?
Ivysaur and K. Rool are already green, so for Ivy probably the white flower alt and whatever K. Rool has. He's already green, but I feel guilty not using alts.
Also gonna use the pink alt for the Inklings, 'cuz I like her hat.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Anything Black, Red, and Purple is usually an easy sell for me. Grey and Blue are also nice choices.

One of my favs was the gold and silver Bowser though. That ish was baller af!

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm pretty boring so I'll stick with defaults. Unless there's a Dry Bowser alt, or any black alt for any character I play as long as it actually looks good.

Top Bottom