• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlphaDream (Mario & Luigi) Enter Bankruptcy

marioandweegee.jpg

AlphaDream, known for developing the Mario & Luigi RPG series, entered bankruptcy on October 1, 2019. The reasons cited from Yahoo! Japan include high costs of development and poor revenue.

The company was founded in 2000 by former members of Square. The studio collaborated with Nintendo to make seven entries in the Mario & Luigi series - five unique titles, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, and two remakes of their own titles, M&L: Superstar Saga and M&L: Bowser's Inside Story.

According to the report claim, the studio is in debt of about 465m (approximately $4.3m US). At this time, there have been no further updates. Stay tuned for any updates.

Author's Notes: What are your thoughts on this? Hoping that things turn out the best they can? I know, same here. I've been sitting days in wait of news. Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

With the state of both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, we need Geno back more than ever now...

D
Heard the news love the Mario and Luigi series. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story were awesome.

Hope they get bought and brought in by Nintendo.

I know the most recent game and two remakes didn’t do so hot, but man, I don’t think anybody could’ve expected for it to lead to this. M&L is/was THE modern day Mario RPG series, it’s terrible to see this happen. Hopefully AlphaDream can survive this, and if not them, at least the franchise. Maybe one day, both M&L and Paper Mario can release great games side-by-side once more...

Damn. Inside Story is among my all-time favorite games of all time, and I actually quite liked Dream Team as well. Sucks to see it go.

I'm... honestly kind of astonished that the whole Mushroom vs Beanbean economy gag hasn't been referenced once...

then again, I can't think of a cheeky punchline for it, either, so who am I to judge...

Top Bottom