• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

So apparently the Rowlet family is the most popular gen 7 pokemon family according to this official poll, good sign?
Since I already mentioned it in this thread, I'm curious to know: Does that magazine go down the list of all gen 7 pokemon by popularity, or at least top 20-50 or so? And if so, does my girl Salazzle place on the list?

While thinking about gen 7 Pokémon reps, it occurred to me that we got a few Pokémon in gen 7 who stood out as significant Pokémon to the games central plot.

Now of course, the Alolan starters have that advantage by proxy of being the gen 7 starters, but if a story centric Pokémon were to represent a Pokémon generation for Smash, what do you think the likelihood is that Nihilego or Type:Null/Silvally make it into Smash? Both Pokémon were front and center in Sun/Moon advertising due to their intrigue and hyping up their role in the story, and they would both have a unique playstyle, with one being a larger four legged canine, and the other being... essentially an alien and by far one of the most unnerving Pokémon to date, which would make it a bizarre looking (And playing) Pokémon and Smash Bros. character.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Decidueye was one of my favorite Pokemon introduced in Gen VII and I would love to see him in the Switch Smash game. Consider me a supporter. The timing is great as Gen VIII hasn't been announced. That, plus his inclusion in Pokken makes me hopeful for him.

My only worry is the anime. Rowlet shows no signs of ever evolving while it's looking more and more likely Ash will get an Incineroar. I hope that doesn't dissuade Sakurai from considering Decidueye especially with how unique he could be compared to Incineroar.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only "real" problem I have with Decidueye is that out of all Pokemon characters, they had appearances beyond the game. Jigglypuff had the anime, Pichu had the promotional Pichu stuff, Mewtwo had the movie, and later, Mega Evolution, as did Lucario. Pokemon Trainer was a legacy pick and solo Charizard makes sense between him being the most popular character and... Mega Evolution.

Greninja is more or less the only exception; however, it was always clear they had plans for him and he was MASSIVELY popular relative to the other starters. But with Gen 7 more or less coming to an early close, I doubt Decidueye has much planned for the future outside of Pokken.

Beyond that, I am not excited to have another standard special bow. I know, I know, "too many swords." My only hope is that if he does come to the game, it can be a bigger aspect of his kit.

D

Deleted member

Judging by what happened with Greninja in the last game, I'd say Sakurai already picked the Pokemon newcomer.
Hopefully it's Decidueye, but it could be pretty much anyone.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This is pretty much the only Pokemon I'm actively hoping will be in Smash. I love his design too much, and we need a grass or ghost type, so why not kill two birds with one stone?...

Those were probably not the best choice of words, but you get what I mean. I'll be keeping tabs on this thread as well. Decidueye for Smash!

D

Deleted member

I hope it dosen't get skipped in favour of another generation by my support for the Robin Hoot is there. I think moves like Brave Bird, Peck, Leaf Blade, and Spirit Shackle would work.

You could even use Astonish, Razor Leaf and others as well.

Final smash could be Sinister Arrow Raid.

rockerpikmin

Smash Apprentice
I hope it dosen't get skipped in favour of another generation by my support for the Robin Hoot is there. I think moves like Brave Bird, Peck, Leaf Blade, and Spirit Shackle would work.

I'm ready!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I honestly still prefer Sceptile, if it's gonna still be Greninja. Which it may not.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Pretttttty confident we're definitely getting a gen 7 rep, it's just a matter of who. Decidueye is probably the likeliest.

I'd love anyone, but my heart's mainly with Rowlet.

D

Deleted member

Well I’m beyond our owl archer all the way. Even if the chances are not high I stand with it.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
With how few characters that need to be added to Smash, Decidueye's got a good shot. Add that to the fact that he's the most popular Pokemon from gen 7. One could make the argument that he wasn't as popular as Greninja, but Sakurai only added Greninja after looking at concept art, which was invariable of his reception.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I think that Smash is going to be Nintendo's holiday game for the year, so unless we get Gen 8 this year, I don't think we have to worry about someone taking the spot of a Gen 7 'mon, and I think Decidueye has the highest shot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Lampy
If you can contact a mod about it, I could give the thread over to you. I'm not sure if I could do it justice at this point since there's a lot more activity, and you're among the most active here. :p

D

Deleted member

True don't think Pokemon's new game is coming out yet. If it dosen't our owl archer's chances are high.

D

Deleted member

I honestly still prefer Sceptile, if it's gonna still be Greninja. Which it may not.
Then go make a thread for him. This isn't the general grass starter support thread.
Sceptile is probably very unlikely anyway.

@Lampy
If you can contact a mod about it, I could give the thread over to you. I'm not sure if I could do it justice at this point since there's a lot more activity, and you're among the most active here. :p
Alright, I'll talk to a mod. I always wanted to own a support thread.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Decidueye is basically an animal version of...

Not surprise s/he's so cool.
I surely wont complain about him/her getting into Super Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Opossum Opossum could you PM Cyndane about transferring this thread's ownership to me?

Edit: False alarm, it wasn't neccesary.
I'm the owner now, and I'll update the OP soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
After Ridley, Decidueye is my wanted newcomer. I choose him as my starter in both Sun and Ultra Sun, and didn't regret it either time. He's such a neat character concept: a grass/ghost type with a handful of flying and dark moves to round it out? Sounds awesome to me, I can't think of a character who could do what he does in Smash.

Realistically, I'd say Decidueye's main competition lies with Lycanroc Dusk, who is looking to be the ace of Ash's team for the Alolan adventure. However, Rowlet is still pretty prominently featured in the anime, so Decidueye's got that and Pokken going for him.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Add me to the list as well!
I'd be so thrilled if they'd add Decidueye to the game. Not only would we finally get our grass starter after Ivysaur left us, but I also think it could bring a unique and interesting fighting style whit it, by being able to use ghost, grass and arrow attacks.

D

Deleted member

Add me to the list as well!
I'd be so thrilled if they'd add Decidueye to the game. Not only would we finally get our grass starter after Ivysaur left us, but I also think it could bring a unique and interesting fighting style whit it, by being able to use ghost, grass and arrow attacks.
I like the way you think. Added~

D

Deleted member

I don't think I was added ether. But it honestly dosen't matter to me if I am or not the most important thing is to show my support to Decidueye so I'm a supporter ether way.

D

Deleted member

I don't think I was added ether. But it honestly dosen't matter to me if I am or not the most important thing is to show my support to Decidueye so I'm a supporter ether way.
God damn it I totally meant to add you! Fixed.
I wonder how many more I missed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You're welcome for all the people you get to add, Lampy. :p

D

Deleted member

Yeah I appearently forgot to save my edit when I added some of the more recent supporters.
Just fixed it.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I definitely support. Decidueye is my favorite Alolan starter with Primarina as a super close second. Gimme my birb archer!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks Lampy appreciate it. Anyway let us now march on forward to hopefully a Decidueye trailer when the next Smash news is shown.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I can't remember if I even did supported this but if I didn't, add me to the support list!

A Grass type returning to Smash AND a Ghost type potential makes this Pokemon unique. It's time we get some bow users as well

Top Bottom