• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Surprised this thread died. I figured Decidueye had a really good chance. Pokken obviously solidifies that. Would definitely say a lock unless a new Pokemon game comes out before Smash.

One thing that he could bring is a Root status effect. Since his main attack prevents foes from fleeing, you could make it lock opponents in place so they can't move (bit can still attack and block). Also be interesting to see it incorporated in a item. A lot you can do here.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Surprised this thread died. I figured Decidueye had a really good chance. Pokken obviously solidifies that. Would definitely say a lock unless a new Pokemon game comes out before Smash.

One thing that he could bring is a Root status effect. Since his main attack prevents foes from fleeing, you could make it lock opponents in place so they can't move (bit can still attack and block). Also be interesting to see it incorporated in a item. A lot you can do here.
The thread has been in a bit of a lull due to it being an awkward interim between Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, haha. That and I figure activity should pick up a bit when Pokken Tournament DX hits.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The thread has been in a bit of a lull due to it being an awkward interim between Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, haha. That and I figure activity should pick up a bit when Pokken Tournament DX hits.
I can see that. It's just odd that after a major break for the character everyone would say "Alright, pack it up, we're done. Let's go discusses everyone else now."

Most of the threads are pretty light overall. I figure more people would talk about moves and abilities. Maybe when the game gets announced>

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Personally, I would rather have Mimikyu, but I'd be thrilled to see Decidueye get in. Support!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love to see a new region based on Florida. Maybe there could be a story revolving a Pokémon theme park in the center of the region. ;)
It would be awesome to have a Legendary Pokémon based on hurricanes in the new region based on Florida.

And to keep it on topic, I still want Decidueye in Smash. It's still my number two most wanted Pokémon newcomer (Meowth remains my number one).

I kinda want to see Pokémon Warriors... like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors but with Pokémon. Please Nintendo, make it happen. And please include Decidueye and Meowth as playable characters in that game.

D

Deleted member

Is this thread still active?
Because if it is, I support 100000000%.
It's my favorite Gen 7 mon and my 3rd favorite Pokemon overall and it has great moveset potential. And also because "muh typing"

D

Deleted member

Opossum Opossum

Sorry for the double post (though it's been more than a week since the above post), but could you please add me to the support list?

D

Deleted member

So how likely do you think Decidueye is copared to other Gen 7 Pokemon? More importantly, who do you think is its greatest competition?
IMO, his main competition is with Incineroar (Who fits really well into a Smash environment, and the team might want a grappler as we never had one before, plus the leaked starters concept art showed Ash with an Incineroar, but Rowlet was unevolved), Mimikyu (One of the most heavily promoted Pokemon of Gen 7), Lycanroc (Who just got a third form and an exclusive Z-Move, and Ash has one), and Kommo-o (It's a psuedo legendary and got its own Z-Move recently).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
to be honest i think we fans over think and against a character in smash, so who can really say?

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
So how likely do you think Decidueye is copared to other Gen 7 Pokemon? More importantly, who do you think is its greatest competition?
IMO, his main competition is with Incineroar (Who fits really well into a Smash environment, and the team might want a grappler as we never had one before, plus the leaked starters concept art showed Ash with an Incineroar, but Rowlet was unevolved), Mimikyu (One of the most heavily promoted Pokemon of Gen 7), Lycanroc (Who just got a third form and an exclusive Z-Move, and Ash has one), and Kommo-o (It's a psuedo legendary and got its own Z-Move recently).
I think it’s definitely Mimikyu, considering it’s promotion and fan appeal. It’s definitely between Decidueye and Mimikyu, I say. I wouldn’t mind either, though I prefer Decidueye a little more.

D

Deleted member

I want to revive this thread, so just throwing this here for the sake of discussion...

If we get Decidueye, how do you think Spirit Shackle's trapping effect would be referenced? (If at all)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I want to revive this thread, so just throwing this here for the sake of discussion...

If we get Decidueye, how do you think Spirit Shackle's trapping effect would be referenced? (If at all)
Neutral special, definitely. Decidueye would fight best at range, but be relatively slow, and I think Spirit Shackle could aid in that. It'd cause relatively little damage and no knockback, but it would have heavy stun, keeping the foe in place for a bit. This allows Decidueye to do one of two things: either continue to evacuate to keep an adequate distance between him and the foe, or to get in close to get a grab or other close range attack.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't believe this thread died
A lot of it may have to do with decreased (and rapidly decreasing) hope. Considering Gen VIII is in the works for Switch already and there's still no sign of Smash for Switch, Decidueye's odds are getting lower by the day.

Same goes for any Alola 'Mon, really.

D

Deleted member

A lot of it may have to do with decreased (and rapidly decreasing) hope. Considering Gen VIII is in the works for Switch already and there's still no sign of Smash for Switch, Decidueye's odds are getting lower by the day.

Same goes for any Alola 'Mon, really.
I lost hope long ago lol
I guess I can see what you mean, but we don't even know if is Gen 8. It probably is, but who knows?
Plus, it doesn't stop the Mimikyu and Incineroar threads from being active.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I lost hope long ago lol
I guess I can see what you mean, but we don't even know if is Gen 8. It probably is, but who knows?
Plus, it doesn't stop the Mimikyu and Incineroar threads from being active.
I mean, I'm not sure you can say they're still active either. They get bumped occasionally like this one, but honestly none of the Alola Pokémon threads are really "active" right now.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I'm not sure you can say they're still active either. They get bumped occasionally like this one, but honestly none of the Alola Pokémon threads are really "active" right now.
Fair enough.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd definitely prefer Decidueye over Incinroar, however I'm much more calmer going into the next Smash in terms of Pokemon lineup. I think most have accepted this time that there is likely going to be a Pokemon newcomer (last time, I saw a lot of people say it would just be the Brawl Pokemon characters and Mewtwo) Greninja was a favourite of mine and I was ecstatic to see him.

I think I'd rather Sceptile but I think that bridge has passed, mostly I want a grass starter. But as long as its not a Pokemon I don't like, I think I'll be pretty satisfied on whoever the Pokemon newcomer is

I just hope Pokemon doesn't get any cuts this time, it has very solid lineup this time. We have 6 who should become staples.

D

Deleted member

At this point I don't find Decidueye likely anymore, even if we do get a Gen 7 Pokemon. Mimikyu seems much more likely to me given how much promotion it got, and is pretty unique as well.
I reaaaally hope I'll be proven wrong though.

Decidueye's support is often seen as a non genuine bangwagon, similarly to how people supported Sceptile back at the day (I'm faulty of this myself, especially since Swampert is my de facto favorite Hoenn starter), which blinds people to how awesome Decidueye could actually be in Smash.
We don't have many projectile based characters in Smash, and no characters with spooky aesthetics. Decidueye covers both.

I was just getting into Pokemon at the time of Greninja's reveal with Y as my first game (I've played every other Pokemon game since, don't worry), and Froakie as my starter. Greninja's addition almost felt like a personal gift, especially since I never saw it coming.
Hopefully I get lucky again.

Sorry for rambling like that, just had to get that off my chest.
By the way, I want to make a moveset for Decidueye, but I have no expiriment with designing character movesets. Could someone offer a few tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At this point I don't find Decidueye likely anymore, even if we do get a Gen 7 Pokemon. Mimikyu seems much more likely to me given how much promotion it got, and is pretty unique as well.
I reaaaally hope I'll be proven wrong though.

Decidueye's support is often seen as a non genuine bangwagon, similarly to how people supported Sceptile back at the day (I'm faulty of this myself, especially since Swampert is my de facto favorite Hoenn starter), which blinds people to how awesome Decidueye could actually be in Smash.
We don't have many projectile based characters in Smash, and no characters with spooky aesthetics. Decidueye covers both.

I was just getting into Pokemon at the time of Greninja's reveal with Y as my first game (I've played every other Pokemon game since, don't worry), and Froakie as my starter. Greninja's addition almost felt like a personal gift, especially since I never saw it coming.
Hopefully I get lucky again.

Sorry for rambling like that, just had to get that off my chest.
By the way, I want to make a moveset for Decidueye, but I have no expiriment with designing character movesets. Could someone offer a few tips?
Just try to completely visualize each move in your head before writing it down. This helps in avoiding awkward, anatomically-impossible movements.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Deleted.

As sympathetic I can be for its supporters, I have no interest in this Pokémon.

Last edited:

hAKLE

Smash Cadet
NNID
mariomush115
I support, he was my first Alolan starter, as well as my favourite. I did argue over Litten, but then I thought, hey! An own that can evolve into a edgy archer that can shoot arrows that curse the opponent. What could go wrong?

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Supported! the starter trinity will be complete!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SSB5 is finally officially announced... and Gen 7 is still the newest... maybe Decidueye still has a chance.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
I think ghost birb has a great chance provided we don't see much of Gen 8 this year/the starters don't land in that sweet spot Greninja got between design and moveset potential. I'm rooting for Robin Hoot!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I’m really hoping Decidueye will get in Smash as a playable character.

I probably won’t get Meowth ever but at least Decidueye still has a fighting chance.

That owl probably has to be one of the best designed Pokémon ever in my opinion.

It made the cut in Pokken DX... hopefully it will make the cut in Smash Switch too.

D

Deleted member

Add me to the list of supporters it’s my favourite Pokémon and I love Pokémon Sun and Moon favourite Pokémon games. Decidueye is awesome and I love the design. So even if his chances are low I stand with the archer owl.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
While Decidueye now faces competition from Ultra Beasts, a Gen 8 starter and even Incineroar, I still support Decidueye.

D

Deleted member

I feel so much more optimistic it's not even funny.
Pls Sakurai. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Me and a friend of mine were talking about gen 7 Pokémon reps, and who could possibly grace Smash in a Switch addition to the series. Weird thing is, I couldn't think of any Pokémon that had a particularly crazy amount of fan appeal the way that Lucario and Greninja did and do. I considered Mimkyu as that kind of Pokémon, and I admitted I would personally love Salazzle representing gen 7 for Smash, though I don't know that the sizzling she-lizard has a particularly high amount of fan appeal, even if she isn't particularly disliked either.

Somehow I totally forgot about Decidueye as a potential Smash candidate based on fan popularity. Forgive me Decidueye fans!

Yeah, put my name down for Decidueye support. Maybe it's my recently getting back into D&D, but I like the idea of a Ranger archtype for Smash, as well as another starter rep, and another grass rep in the absence of Ivysaur.

Ghost typing and moves might lend Decidueye to shadow sneaking like Greninja, but maybe Decidueye plays true to his archer role by using short and long range feather projectiles to play a zoning character, with even physical moves using its wide wingspan to play keep away with a wide hitbox.

A grab that grabs characters shadows at a distance in Spirit Shackle could make him a cool zoning grappler too. Maybe the tradeoff is that it's a slower grab that leaves it susceptible to attack if it whiffs.

flying attacks for tilts, jabs, and smashes seem likely. Peck, Pluck, Brave Bird, etc. Same for physical ghost type moves. Phantom Force, Astonish, etc. Leaf Blade could make for a good forward smash.

I don't know what kind of attack it could be, maybe a special, but a ghost arrow projectile that explodes in ghostly aura would be a neat attack (I forget which of Decidueye's moves did that. Was it Spirit Shackle?).

Anyway, Put me down for Decidueye support.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm running on coffee at an ungodly hour with no signs of sleeping. Maybe I'll start the rough draft Salazzle support thread if someone hasn't already beat me to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Opo doesn't come back soon, I might ask the mods to let me take over this thread.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

So apparently the Rowlet family is the most popular gen 7 pokemon family according to this official poll, good sign?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have argued to extensive detail about how much a grass character, specifically a starter's final form, really is a missing component from Smash.

But my brain gets so agitated to think that they would be from gens 1, 6, and 7. It is chronologically imbalanced, and weighted very toward the new. It isnt particularly logical but it still aggrevates me.

And since it is likely a new Smash, I'd honestly just rather have Squirtle and Ivysaur return with Greninja being cut.
That said, people may know I also want characters in a specifically made Pokemon Trainer, an evolving Eevee, and Meowth/Team Rocket.

D

Deleted member

So apparently the Rowlet family is the most popular gen 7 pokemon family according to this official poll, good sign?
Let's keep in mind that Incineroar and Litten are both listed seperately, and that Decidueye is the only fully evolved Alolan starter not on the list, so I doubt it.
That said, I don't think this poll means anything for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom