• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

Klimax

Smash Ace
Enjoy your inevitable victory, then. I'll have you know that some Incineroar supporters aren't as "nice" as you though.
There's always some morons, that is the same for every fanbase. Just ignore these people, they're not worth your time mate.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Chairs2t.png

No matter who you think will get in or want in, Decidueye still has a chance. I don't like it being Ghost typing and didn't like how forced he was back in the it had to be a Grass Starter era, but I think it'd silly to ignore the positive of any of our possible pocket monsters getting in and flat out blast them as the "wrong" choice. Let's be honest, Pokemon has the most imaginative and colorful additions of the cast. A psychic alien looking guardian, a beautiful siren sea lion, a antagonistic tiger wrestling heel, a mysterious archer owl, or rock bender wolf... any of them would be fantastic additions in the end. Even Mimikyu was the cute spook that could of been.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why does everybody say that Inceranoar is more likely ?
Because he was leaked by vergeben, who has a pretty good track record when it comes to leaking characters in Ultimate.
I think it's pretty sad that leaks have become the only thing people rely on when predicting characters these days. :/

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
You know, in addition to the desperate need for a fully evolved Grass Starter, I think one of the things so appealing about Decidueye is that it's so physically non-conventional.

Incineroar is not only yet another humanoid bipedal firestarter, if he got in he'd be yet another humanoid bipedal fighter (and we already have an excess of fire-based fighters too). Decidueye is just so different and interesting, and grass is hugely underrepresented.

I vant my boird.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Please don't lose hope guys. Same with fans of any other Pokemon that isn't Incineroar. Most of Incineroar's popularity only came after vergeben reared his ugly head anyways. Before, nearly everyone considered Decidueye more likely because fans have
a. always preferred Rowlet
b. always disliked Incineroar
There are people who attempt to pretend that Incineroar was always a shoo-in but ever since the Gen 7 starter leak, people hated the tiger in part due to his design and part because they thought he was another Fire/Fighting starter. When he was officially revealed, a ton of Litten fans were distraught that their cute cat turned into a man in a fursuit.

If Incineroar gets in, it will entirely be due to the fact that GameFreak and TCPi forced it on us.
>pushed Roar in the pre Gen 7 move
>pushed Roar by giving it the best ability in the game for Doubles
>pushed Roar by making it a recurring rival Pokemon in the anime
>pushed Roar by making it used by the manga protag
>pushed Roar by giving it TCG sets out the ass
Meanwhile, Incineroar has lost again and again and again to Rowlet and even Primarina in popularity. If he really gets into Smash, we'll know for sure that Sakurai was forced into doing so because the actual fans damn well didn't choose it.

Last edited:

Mayoman

Smash Rookie
So guys, i've got a question for you. Do you think Decidueye still has a chance despite not being promoted as much as Incineroar?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So guys, i've got a question for you. Do you think Decidueye still has a chance despite not being promoted as much as Incineroar?
I still think he has a very small chance. For what it's worth Rowlet was the most popular of the Gen VII starters when they were first revealed and the final Ultimate roster was decided at the end of 2016 (I'm not sure if Incineroar was heavily promoted by that time). Vergeben's record has been pretty solid so far though leaks can always be wrong (Robin instead of Chrom in SSB4). Decidueye has also placed higher than Incineroar in many Smash polls from what I've seen.

I think the percent chances are 90% Incineroar, 2.5% Decidueye, 2.5% some other Pokemon, and 5% no Pokemon newcomer at all.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
With the banner leak being likely real, Decidueye may now have a fighting chance since Incineroar may be out.
Incineroar wasn't really a popular choice until Vergeben came along. Also, Decidueye is in Pokken Tournament, so Nintendo must be aware of his popularity.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
It's strange. We've had a Pokemon every smash game, and yet we may not even get one as DLC in this one.

I would love Decidueye for Ultimate but it suddenly feels very unlikely.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’d like to be added to the support list as well. I think Decidueye would be a great addition to the game. It’s one of two Pokémon reps I’m supporting: Decidueye for a Sun & Moon rep and Cynthia for a rep of the Pokémon series overall.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It's over guys.

GG to team Incineroar.

D

Deleted member

welp, it's over. officially, that is.
frankly i wouldn't even say our boy had a good run.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I'd rather have no pokemon at all than Incineroar if I'm being honest. I'm happy for his (notably in the minority if certain polls are to be believed) fans, but I can't help but feel super disappointed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey, at least we got a Grass type. :p

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Whelp, Incineroar made it in. Honestly, I was initially disappointed but the character’s charm kinda won me over. Looks like an interesting character I may mess around with. And call me a hopeless optimist, but I still think Decidueye has a chance. Hear me out:
• Apparently DLC was already chosen at a similar time to the base roster (evidenced by Rex being a Mii costume and Spring Man Assist Trophy)
• Correct me if I’m wrong, but Decidueye was nowhere to be seen as a spirit. Granted this may not affect anything due to spirits being similar to trophies and Mewtwo and Lucas were still DLC despite already being trophies in SSB4. Also we haven’t seen all the spirits yet, but I’ll still list that here.
• There is NO presence of the Rowlet line in the Pokéball Pokémon, which honestly really surprised me. I personally theorizes that if Incineroar got in, Snivey would been replaced by Rowlet (using Leafage or Razor Leaf) just as Snivey did Chikarita in SSB4. But Snivey has returned. And it’s not like they’ll add new Pokéball since we know what’s in every pack. So I find it strange that NONE of the Rowlet line is represented at all in Ultimate, especially considering how popular and appealing Rowlet is.

That’s my little speculation I thought I’d share. I don’t want raise any false hopes, hype responsibly. But there are things to me that don’t add up to me.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Mayoman

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
What would you say Decidueye's chances are now that we know this?

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
It's honestly too bad we couldn't have room for BOTH Decidueye and Incineroar. I honestly like them both equally, though Rowlet was actually my first choice when I played vanilla Moon.

Sure that'd be a LOT of Pokemon, but I wouldn't be complaining. :estatic:

Mayoman

Smash Rookie
Guys, have you ever felt like Duck Hunt ruined Decidueye's chances?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
They're completely different characters so I don't think it affected Decidueye's chances in the slightest.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Literally how? Even with pen and paper concepts, they fight nothing alike and are from two entirety different franchises. You'd be better off with claiming Dark Pit ruined Decidueye's chances and it would still be a really weak argument.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I personally chalk it to Masuda and Game Freak. Don't want to sound like I hate Decidueye(I like Incineroar and Primarina more, but I don't hate or dislike Decidueye), but the moment the Pokken devs said they don't want to overlap with Smash, it should have obvious that his chances had taken a long turn for the worse when he was announced there. There isn't any rule saying that he couldn't be in both, but alas, this is how he wound up. If I made anyone angry, I apologize, I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I personally chalk it to Masuda and Game Freak. Don't want to sound like I hate Decidueye(I like Incineroar and Primarina more, but I don't hate or dislike Decidueye), but the moment the Pokken devs said they don't want to overlap with Smash, it should have obvious that his chances had taken a long turn for the worse when he was announced there. There isn't any rule saying that he couldn't be in both, but alas, this is how he wound up. If I made anyone angry, I apologize, I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Lucario are all already in Pokken. Doesn't seem like overlap was the problem.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Lucario are all already in Pokken. Doesn't seem like overlap was the problem.
It actually is, those four are pretty much a must should the opportunity to add them is present. Even Greninja, despite it's massive popularity, was discarded in favor of Braixen there.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is there a source for the overlap Smash deal? I am interested in looking into this.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Is there a source for the overlap Smash deal? I am interested in looking into this.
I have been looking like crazy, yet this is the closest I could find(also doesn't help overtime has been chewing off my free time for the last month): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNEh3imrCKI

I'll also add that many have said that mons like Greninja and most recently Incineroar, aren't in Pokken because of both the overlap deal, and because they would be redundant since there are already other mon that have the playstyle they have(Sceptile for Greninja, Machamp for Incineroar).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been looking like crazy, yet this is the closest I could find(also doesn't help overtime has been chewing off my free time for the last month): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNEh3imrCKI

I'll also add that many have said that mons like Greninja and most recently Incineroar, aren't in Pokken because of both the overlap deal, and because they would be redundant since there are already other mon that have the playstyle they have(Sceptile for Greninja, Machamp for Incineroar).
Hmm... I see nothing really related to overlap in this video. I am going to take this info with a huge grain of salt for now.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Hmm... I see nothing really related to overlap in this video. I am going to take this info with a huge grain of salt for now.
Nvm, just found out it's common misconception as opposed to factual. I tried to make sense on why Decidueye did not make the cut, yet I only made myself a fool.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've decided that the reason why I dislike Incineroar isn't that it's another starter, but that its moveset is too human. At least given some of the features of Decidueye's body, that wouldn't be a problem, and I kind of wonder if that's how Incineroar won over any other Gen 7 Pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the fact that Decidueye was even considered is comforting. It's one thing to be passed over, but another thing to never even be considered, you know?

Let's look at the glass half full with that. Some Pokémon didn't get so much as considered. :p

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm surprised at the lack of a Decidueye spirit if it got considered at one point.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've been thinking, maybe they could add Decidueye not as a Gen 7 rep, but as a Pokken rep? I'm pretty sure Pokken's sold well, and Decidueye was the marketing point in the DX port. Besides, Pokken has some mechanics that could be very interesting in Smash, such as support Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, not surprised in the least.

For a long while, I was under the belief it would be between the two when it came to a Gen 7 Pokémon.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad Incineroar was the one picked in the end, but at the very least it's confirmed that Decidueye was in fact legitimate competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom