• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't buy the vergeb leak about there being no Decidueye. For me it just lowered the chances a little bit. It's too bad it dissuaded a lot of people.
You can't trust leakers outright, even if they get stuff right. Some info may be right, some may not be.

So who's still in this thread?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't buy the vergeb leak about there being no Decidueye. For me it just lowered the chances a little bit. It's too bad it dissuaded a lot of people.
You can't trust leakers outright, even if they get stuff right. Some info may be right, some may not be.

So who's still in this thread?
I am. I support Decidueye; it was the Pokemon that got me to pick up a game for the first time in over a decade.

WampaWreckage

Smash Rookie
Would to be okay to get a Mod to update the supporters list? It's been over a week or two since it was last updated. I totally get it either way, I was just wondering it it's possible.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh yeah, I expect this guy. It seemed like, at least at the time of Sun & Moon's release, which is about when Sakurai would have been making his decisions, Decidueye was way more popular than Incineroar. I get the anime might be pushing Incineroar, but I don't think Sakurai bases his decisions on that. Supposedly he decided on Greninja just based on looking at concept art for new Pokemon. And I feel like he would think Decidueye is a little more interesting than what's basically a 'rassler with fire effects. Also he might feel nostalgic for his old creation Coo, lol. I mean not only is it a big bird, which we don't quite have on the roster - Falco doesn't really encapsulate that aspect very much. It can also tap into ghostly and grassy abilities. Plus it's an archer or something? I guess we do have 5 of those already though lol.

Still, I gotta side with this guy.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I expect this guy. It seemed like, at least at the time of Sun & Moon's release, which is about when Sakurai would have been making his decisions, Decidueye was way more popular than Incineroar. I get the anime might be pushing Incineroar, but I don't think Sakurai bases his decisions on that. Supposedly he decided on Greninja just based on looking at concept art for new Pokemon. And I feel like he would think Decidueye is a little more interesting than what's basically a 'rassler with fire effects. Also he might feel nostalgic for his old creation Coo, lol. I mean not only is it a big bird, which we don't quite have on the roster - Falco doesn't really encapsulate that aspect very much. It can also tap into ghostly and grassy abilities. Plus it's an archer or something? I guess we do have 5 of those already though lol.

Actually, the movesets of the Links and both Pits is more sword/jack of all trades based than archery based as the arrows are just a standard projectile. Decidueye would be the first true archer moveset wise.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That's fair. I think Decidueye has enough to work with though even without revolving entirely around archery.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Incineroar would be a mistake. From the first concept art everybody raised their hands to Arceus as it seemed yet another boring Fire Figthing blaziken clone. and he is a blaziken clone, again being based on fighting and martial arts, only minus the fighting type for little to no reason other than trying to make him "cool and edgy" as a heel wrestler.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Incineroar would be a mistake. From the first concept art everybody raised their hands to Arceus as it seemed yet another boring Fire Figthing blaziken clone. and he is a blaziken clone, again being based on fighting and martial arts, only minus the fighting type for little to no reason other than trying to make him "cool and edgy" as a heel wrestler.
Incineroar's far from edgy though. It's just acting as part of its gimmick.

StormC

Smash Hero

Sakurai didn't create Coo.

I'm still hoping for Decidueye but I've accepted Incineroar is probably in over him (Ash is in Incineroar's concept art and :ultmewtwo: :ultlucario: :ultjigglypuff: all came from the anime). Now that Mimikyu is down for the count it's probably Decidueye or Incineroar now.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Made this for several confirmed and potential newcomers so here is one for Decidueye.

64600379-EF61-4487-B95C-CFBE336D691D.png

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

Considering the total amount of votes and all the competition he had to face, 17th place isn't that bad. Sure some of the spots are questionable (Sans over Dixie?!?!) but it really helps to show how popular Decidueye is.

While his chances are astronomically low at this rate, I'm still holding out hope that Decidueye somehow makes it in.

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

Considering the total amount of votes and all the competition he had to face, 17th place isn't that bad. Sure some of the spots are questionable (Sans over Dixie?!?!) but it really helps to show how popular Decidueye is.

While his chances are astronomically low at this rate, I'm still holding out hope that Decidueye somehow makes it in.
Wow, nearly everyone I still want in the game is listed here! I'm a little peeved that Sans of all characters got more votes than Decidueye (and Dixie and Elma), but we all know how fan polls can be...

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I would love to see Decidueye. His archer/owl design is bad ass. I don't think a gen 7 Pokemon is likely because of Sakurai seems to be going more based on fan demand in the ballot rather than recent characters, and VII came a year after the ballot ended. Unless Sakurai pulls a Greninja and knows the character will be very popular ahead of time based on how cool his design is.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I would love to see Decidueye. His archer/owl design is bad ***. I don't think a gen 7 Pokemon is likely because of Sakurai seems to be going more based on fan demand in the ballot rather than recent characters, and VII came a year after the ballot ended. Unless Sakurai pulls a Greninja and knows the character will be very popular ahead of time based on how cool his design is.
Sadly, the most likely smash pick of gen 7 seems to be the competitively useless, unoriginally designed and edgelord-stigma worthy Incineroar, to the despair of basically everyone.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sadly, the most likely smash pick of gen 7 seems to be the competitively useless, unoriginally designed and edgelord-stigma worthy Incineroar, to the despair of basically everyone.
...You realize Incineroar isn't any of those things, right?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm curious what the general consensus is with the Decidueye community. Talk seems to have really died down after Vergeben's claims. I mean, although Verge has been correct about Smash thus far, he's had a pretty spotty track record outside of Smash in the past. Even with other games, he's gotten information correct, but everything he would say after ended up being wrong.

I still think Decidueye has a shot, but I also feel that many have underestimated the competition. He still has a lot going for him, so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Even if some things do seem to be stacked against him at the moment.

Anyways, after seeing Venus's palette swaps, decided to make some of my own. They're all based off flying type Pokemon. Can't say they're all based off birds, since one of them isn't. Try to guess them all!
Decidueye Recolors-min.png

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
I'm curious what the general consensus is with the Decidueye community. Talk seems to have really died down after Vergeben's claims. I mean, although Verge has been correct about Smash thus far, he's had a pretty spotty track record outside of Smash in the past. Even with other games, he's gotten information correct, but everything he would say after ended up being wrong.

I still think Decidueye has a shot, but I also feel that many have underestimated the competition. He still has a lot going for him, so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Even if some things do seem to be stacked against him at the moment.

Anyways, after seeing Venus's palette swaps, decided to make some of my own. They're all based off flying type Pokemon. Can't say they're all based off birds, since one of them isn't. Try to guess them all!
View attachment 162453
These are some really nice colors man! I'll admit that I'm not as confident in Decidueye as I was in the past, and it bites to see support for it dropping like a rock (particularly on this thread). However, this has not changed my want for this character in Smash and even Decidueye fails to make the base game, I can still hope for DLC provided it doesn't get relegated to a support role.

As for the palette inspirations themselves:
Green=Shiny Dodrio
Light green= Pidgeotto
Orange=Talonflame
Red=Braviary
Brown=Noctowl
Pink=Mandibuzz
White=Thundurus

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
...You realize Incineroar isn't any of those things, right?

I may not be exactly the best Smash player, but I am a seasoned veteran when it comes to Pokémon matters. And I can assure you, Incineroar is only surpassed by Emboar as the LEAST popular fire starter.

He is absolute crap competitively, with zero usable niches even on the low tier competitions until down in NU.

His design is basically the fourth version of the "Fire-Fighting humanoid" archetype only with the Dark type to make it look less used and to give him a "unique" attribute of being a heel, AKA a villain. And by the way with THAT design he fails at it.

As said above, his design evokes foul play and villainy with the heel inspiration, and if that is not worthy of a total edgelord, I don't know what is.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I may not be exactly the best Smash player, but I am a seasoned veteran when it comes to Pokémon matters. And I can assure you, Incineroar is only surpassed by Emboar as the LEAST popular fire starter.

He is absolute crap competitively, with zero usable niches even on the low tier competitions until down in NU.

His design is basically the fourth version of the "Fire-Fighting humanoid" archetype only with the Dark type to make it look less used and to give him a "unique" attribute of being a heel, AKA a villain. And by the way with THAT design he fails at it.

As said above, his design evokes foul play and villainy with the heel inspiration, and if that is not worthy of a total edgelord, I don't know what is.
You clearly missed the entire point of the character, which is kinda sad. Also, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with your hate fest on Incineroar on a Decidueye's thread. I guess some people are nostalgic of meaningless characters' war while the roster is decided since nearly 3 years.

By the way, while I believe what Vergeben said about Decidueye and while Incineroar is the 7th Gen Pokemon that I want, I would be fine with Decidueye, I think his design his cool and he could have a cool moveset. Anyway, we can't be sure about what's gonna happen, so, don't lose hope. I wish you guys good luck for the next direct.

82cb672749776fbabaed237a88b82cb0.png

D

Deleted member

Which is why a number of people used the HA Incineroar in VGC, including the two finalists in the Masters Division. :rolleyes:
Just quit while you're behind.

If you've got nothing to say about Decidueye and only want to spout off driveling bull**** about Incineroar in the Decidueye thread, you're better off just not saying anything at all like that lackey of yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Nothing wrong with not wanting a character in Smash, but this is Decidueye's support thread. Let's not use it as an anti-competition thread.

These are some really nice colors man! I'll admit that I'm not as confident in Decidueye as I was in the past, and it bites to see support for it dropping like a rock (particularly on this thread). However, this has not changed my want for this character in Smash and even Decidueye fails to make the base game, I can still hope for DLC provided it doesn't get relegated to a support role.

As for the palette inspirations themselves:
Green=Shiny Dodrio
Light green= Pidgeotto
Orange=Talonflame
Red=Braviary
Brown=Noctowl
Pink=Mandibuzz
White=Thundurus
Thank-you, and I agree.

As for your guesses, you got two, almost three, correct out of seven.
Green isn't Shiny Dodrio
Red isn't Braviary
Pink isn't Mandibuzz
White isn't Thundurus

Lastly, Light Green (I call it Yellow) isn't Pidgeotto, but you're close enough. It's Pidgeot/Mega Pidgeot.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
Nothing wrong with not wanting a character in Smash, but this is Decidueye's support thread. Let's not use it as an anti-competition thread.

Thank-you, and I agree.

As for your guesses, you got two, almost three, correct out of seven.
Green isn't Shiny Dodrio
Red isn't Braviary
Pink isn't Mandibuzz
White isn't Thundurus

Lastly, Light Green (I call it Yellow) isn't Pidgeotto, but you're close enough. It's Pidgeot/Mega Pidgeot.
Not too bad since I did use some rather wild guesses for some of them. Hmmm...
Green=Yanmega
Red=Swellow
Pink=Unfezant
White=Lugia/Swanna

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Not too bad since I did use some rather wild guesses for some of them. Hmmm...
Green=Yanmega
Red=Swellow
Pink=Unfezant
White=Lugia/Swanna
1 out of four that time.

Green isn't Yanmega
Red isn't Swellow
White isn't Lugia or Swanna

I'll give you a hint: IV IV I

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

That just shows you use "edgelord" as a meaningless buzzword instead of using an actual argument.

Incineroar isn't a villain, he's an actor playing the part of one, and the difference there is tremendous. He's a grandstanding showboat in the ring who uses dirty tactics, as people are supposed to root against him. But out of the ring it's stated to be a softie. To call Incineroar edgy shows a total ignorance of the archetype they were very clearly going for, to say nothing of the cultural significance of the Tiger Mask origin.

And dude, I've been a fan of Pokémon since I had the mental capability to be a fan of something lol. Incineroar is the best of the Alolan starters competitively by far thanks to Intimidate, which synergizes really well with its decent bulk and access to healing via Leech Life. Meanwhile Primarina's speed hampers it in its niche (though its typing definitely helps it) while Decidueye's stats are, admittedly, wonky, with many points wasted in Special Attack that could've gone elsewhere, with Spirit Shackle being the one thing keeping it out of total obscurity.

And that's coming from someone whose current second-most wanted Smash character is Decidueye.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's sad to see so many people gullible to a leaker. I'm a bit disappointed, but whatever, I'll still enjoy Decidueye once he's in smash.
Looking at the final forms when designing the game, pretty sure Decidueye is the safest one to go for. Not saying that like a final argument, but to me it makes sense, and I think people should trust a little more and think for themselves, especially when nothing's been confirmed. Just claims from someone who had some correct info at some point.

I also don't think the competitive scene is a great place to think about pokemon getting in. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle.. I don't need to go on :p

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If you've got nothing to say about Decidueye and only want to spout off driveling bull**** about Incineroar in the Decidueye thread, you're better off just not saying anything at all like that lackey of yours.
"Lackey"? Mate, I'm in this thread because I like Decidueye and happen to share the guy's opinion that Incineroar would be an overall poor choice for a new Pokemon. If you like Incineroar, that's fine, but please have a little courtesy and don't drag others into petty conflicts for something so minor as liking a post. Although I guess doing that makes you a "lackey" these days. Blimey...
And if you weren't referring to me there, forgive me, but I really don't see who else in this thread you could be referring to.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's sad to see so many people gullible to a leaker. I'm a bit disappointed, but whatever, I'll still enjoy Decidueye once he's in smash.
Looking at the final forms when designing the game, pretty sure Decidueye is the safest one to go for. Not saying that like a final argument, but to me it makes sense, and I think people should trust a little more and think for themselves, especially when nothing's been confirmed. Just claims from someone who had some correct info at some point.

I also don't think the competitive scene is a great place to think about pokemon getting in. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle.. I don't need to go on :p
Vergeben has more than proven he has legit info when it comes to Ultimate. There's no reason to doubt him after everything he's gotten right.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Vergeben has more than proven he has legit info when it comes to Ultimate. There's no reason to doubt him after everything he's gotten right.
Ha. That's BS. Have you experience with leakers and such? They always get some wrong even when they have some stuff right. You can't trust anything that doesn't come straight from the source. Doesn't mean you can't give it some weight, but it's more the gullible ones that trust them outright.

Do you think Decidueye would've gotten that high in the latest big poll if people believed the leak 100%?
It would've gotten even higher if not for people who believe that crap.

Are you a Decidueye supporter or not?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, second-most?
But Chrom's already in; who's first now?
Celica. :D
Ha. That's BS. Have you experience with leakers and such? They always get some wrong even when they have some stuff right. You can't trust anything that doesn't come straight from the source. Doesn't mean you can't give it some weight, but it's more the gullible ones that trust them outright.

Do you think Decidueye would've gotten that high in the latest big poll if people believed the leak 100%?
It would've gotten even higher if not for people who believe that crap.

Are you a Decidueye supporter or not?
I have enough experience with them to see the writing on the wall, yes.

Just because I'm not in denial doesn't mean I'm not a Decidueye supporter. Who do you think made this thread before giving it to Lampy?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Celica. :D

I have enough experience with them to see the writing on the wall, yes.

Just because I'm not in denial doesn't mean I'm not a Decidueye supporter. Who do you think made this thread before giving it to Lampy?
Anyone can make a thread or be in a list. I'm talking about actually supporting. I'm being realistic too, because I know it makes little sense to trust leakers.
I can tell you legit believe the info, so it's just unfortunate. But at least understand that not everyone wants to put so much weight in stuff that doesn't come from nintendo. Some people might want to actually support and be a bit more open to what can be, and even be ready to receive and enjoy the character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyone can make a thread or be in a list. I'm talking about actually supporting. I'm being realistic too, because I know it makes little sense to trust leakers.
I can tell you legit believe the info, so it's just unfortunate. But at least understand that not everyone wants to put so much weight in stuff that doesn't come from nintendo. Some people might want to actually support and be a bit more open to what can be, and even be ready to receive and enjoy the character.
On the other side of the coin, however, belittling those who believe the leak despite it getting nothing wrong so far is going way too far. I'm not saying everyone has to believe it 100%, but instead at least be open to it being correct and not try to demean those who do believe it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On the other side of the coin, however, belittling those who believe the leak despite it getting nothing wrong so far is going way too far. I'm not saying everyone has to believe it 100%, but instead at least be open to it being correct and not try to demean those who do believe it.
I'm open to it, I'm just fighting off the heaviness that some people put in it, because it doesn't serve us, and there's not just me who thinks the leak info is bs. Though it really brought down a lot of people in this thread, and that's not right. If you think saying some one is gullible is demeaning, then I get why you didn't like what I said. But to me it kinda shows, though you're pretty obstinate in your case so I wouldn't say you're gullible, just that you put a lot of faith in some things you believe.

Decidueye isn't one of my top picks overall, but he's my top pokemon pick that I think is likely. I give him a bit lower chances because of the leak, but I'm far from discounting it, and lots of other people are too, but it's hard to tell on smashboards.

Last edited:

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
As soon as I saw rowlet was the grass starter I knew I needed to use him.
Once I saw that he eventually became Decidueye I was exceptionally happy with my choice. I think he's the most interesting out of the fully evolved starters, though Primarina is pretty neat too.
I think having a proper archer character would be super neato, and that him having the ghost type could help make his attacks more unique.
The verg thing has definitely weakened my hopes, but they're still there.
Decidueye for smash, he'd be rad.

DMKruiz

Smash Rookie
Aw, ye Decidueye is by far my most wanted. One of my favorite Pokemon ever, I love his moveset in Pokken and he has loads of unique potential for the Smash roster. I gladly still support him and still thinks he has a chance. One of the most ideal gen 7 mons for the game imo. Here's hoping our owl boi comes through.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Look I don't really like Incineroar either but I don't think being competitively useless is a mark against any Pokémon in Smash. Pikachu is pretty terrible, Charizard is bad (mega evolution doesn't count because he doesn't have it anymore), I don't think Jigglypuff even has a single tier it's viable in since it's too strong for LC (I think), pretty much only Mewtwo and Lucario are good. And Mewtwo was powercrept by the Hoenn trio's new forms. And also Lucario isn't that good without Mega Evolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom