• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Though I'm more Team Incineroar, I see Decidueye being more likely to be in Smash due to popularity and the potential of its movesets. I can actually visualize somewhat about how Decidueye will work, since it seems like a defensive character with a lot of range and has a decent ability to punish. I support this.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The more I think about Decidueye, the more I want him. I just love the way it's designed. It just looks so cool. Spirit Shackle could be a projectile that traps opponents... maybe the opponents could be trapped like with the Pitfall item but without the burying.

Also, Decidueye could have the ability to jump multiple times like Charizard, Meta Knight, and Pit... and maybe use Brave Bird as a recovery. It could be a charging move... the longer you hold the B button, the further Decidueye flies when you let go of the B button.

Leaf Blade could be a Down+B counter where Decidueye pulls out a leaf and slashes opponents with it. Fury Attack could be Side+B where Decidueye charges and flies in that direction, pecking opponents multiple times.

I guess for me, Decidueye's moveset would be like this:

B: Spirit Shackle
Side+B: Fury Attack
Up+B: Brave Bird
Down+B: Leaf Blade
Final Smash: Sinister Arrow Raid

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm a fan of all of Gen 7's starters so sign me up for Decidueye as well. The pipe dream would be to get all three, but I know that'll never happen ;-;

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Decidueye is probably the first time I really supported a starter Pokemon for Smash.

I want Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Greninja to all come back for Smash, of course, but I didn't actively support them to be in Smash in the first place. I like those Pokemon but I was neutral on them so I didn't actively support them to get in Smash in the first place. Sakurai made those choices for me and I grew to love them after years of playing with those Pokemon in Smash.

There were other starter Pokemon I liked but didn't seriously support for Smash, too... like Pokemon Trainer Gold (rivaling Pokemon Trainer Red) with Chikorita (rivaling Squirtle), Quilava (rivaling Ivysaur), and Feraligatr (rivaling Charizard)... and Snivy... and Blaziken.

The only Pokemon I actively supported for more than 15 years is Meowth. And now Decidueye is the second Pokemon I seriously want in Smash. It's just so amazing.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Decidueye is probably the first time I really supported a starter Pokemon for Smash.

I want Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Greninja to all come back for Smash, of course, but I didn't actively support them to be in Smash in the first place. I like those Pokemon but I was neutral on them so I didn't actively support them to get in Smash in the first place. Sakurai made those choices for me and I grew to love them after years of playing with those Pokemon in Smash.

There were other starter Pokemon I liked but didn't seriously support for Smash, too... like Pokemon Trainer Gold (rivaling Pokemon Trainer Red) with Chikorita (rivaling Squirtle), Quilava (rivaling Ivysaur), and Feraligatr (rivaling Charizard)... and Snivy... and Blaziken.

The only Pokemon I actively supported for more than 15 years is Meowth. And now Decidueye is the second Pokemon I seriously want in Smash. It's just so amazing.
I used to really like the idea of Blastoise being in Smash, but Decidueye is the first time I've ever actually supported a starter, though I definitely would have for Greninja.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I knew there was a reason I couldn't get behind the Sceptile bandwagon. It is cool but it ain't Blaziken. People wanted a grass starter and I wanted one too but it wasn't Sceptile. I already wanted Ivysaur because it was in Brawl but I also wanted a new grass starter. I didn't know what I was looking for. I liked Snivy but not enough to actively support it... probably because I didn't play Black & White. But I did play Sun & Moon from beginning to end (well, almost since I stopped playing 3 months ago so I didn't get to beat the Elite Four yet) so I just became a fan of Decidueye.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I'd love to see Decidueye in Smash! Long live the Grass (and Ghost) type!

He and Incineroar are the first starters I've supported for Smash, as well. They both feel like they would fit into Smash so well.

I also support Gengar, despite knowing he won't ever get in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking about what Decidueye's recolors could look like. Maybe they could be based on different leaf colors when seasons change and different owl feather colors.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was thinking about what Decidueye's recolors could look like. Maybe they could be based on different leaf colors when seasons change and different owl feather colors.
Now this idea I like

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thinking about how owls and other birds of prey would swoop in and pick up their prey with their talons... maybe Decidueye could have a move where he swoops in and picks up his opponent with his legs? Maybe even throw them while flying? Decidueye could have midair grabs and throws.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
When I imagine Decidueye in smash I imagine his moveset to be a lot like Rivals of Aether's Wrastor, expect with some moves like specials and smash's utilizing arrows, grass, and ghost moves, and probably not as good mobility. Spirit Shackle could be like a projectile version of Corrin's Pin, that'd be pretty unique..

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm all about this dude in Smash. I've wanted a bird Pokemon in Smash and while I'd have prefered Hawlucha. I can get behind an arrow bird instead.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Moveset
General Info
--Running animation has Decidueye fly close to the ground, flapping it's wings as it goes along, so not gliding like :4charizard::4metaknight:
-Cannot wall jump
-Cannot crawl
-4 jumps + fair air mobility
-Average speed/weight
-Fair strength/range but a few sluggish attacks and a focus on projectiles make him best suited for mid range, and is somewhat poor up close.

Neutral Jab - Decidueye performs a forehand swing with it's wing followed by a backhand.

Forward Tilt - Decidueye fires an arrow forward. It's a weak projectile move and travels a set distance.

Up Tilt - Decidueye fires an arrow upward. It's a weak projectile move and travels a set distance.

Down Tilt: Grass Knot - A small patch of grass appears a short distance in front of Decidueye, tripping opponents.

Dash Attack: Steel Wing - Decidueye glides forward at high speed, striking with it's wings.

Forward Smash: Leaf Blade - A two hit attack where Decidueye slashes opponents with it's wings, using them like blades.

Up Smash: Leaf Blade - Decidueye slashes opponents above itself with it's wings, using them like blades.

Down Smash: Razor Leaf - Decidueye jumps up and fires a row of leaves below itself.

Neutral Air - Turns toward the camera and quickly spreads it's wings to their full span.

Forward Air - Decidueye flaps it's wings, striking opponents directly in front of itself.

Back Air: Astonish - Decidueye turns it's head around, glaring at the opponent and releasing ghastly energy.

Up Air - A high kick with it's talons.

Down Air - A slow dive kick that can be canceled with a jump.

Grab - Briefly lifts off the ground and reaches for opponents with it's talons. Grabbing out of a dash has Decidueye glide forward a short distance with it's talons in front.

Pummel: Peck - Decidueye pecks the opponent with it's beak.

Forward Throw - Glides forward a short distance, dragging the opponent along. Decidueye then tosses them forward. Low KB throw. Stops and immediately throws if it reaches the edge of a stage.

Back Throw - Circles around, flying low to the ground and tosses the opponent away.

Up Throw - Flies straight up with the opponent in tow and then drops fast, slamming them into the ground.

Down Throw - Decidueye knocks the opponent to the ground and kicks them from above twice, stomping with each talon.

Neutral Special: Spirit Shackle - Decidueye fires an arrow that briefly stuns opponents. This move can be charged to increase the speed, power and distance.

Side Special: Leafage
- A short to mid range projectile where Decidueye throws several leaves forward.

Up Special: Brave Bird - Decidueye flies in the direction held at great speed. This move is fast, strong and has some armor, but has little KB and deals a bit of recoil damage to Decidueye.

Down Special: Ominous Wind - Deciudeye stirs up an "ominous wind" with it wings, damaging opponents who are close to it and blowing them away to create some breathing room. Also nullifies weak projectiles like :4mario:&:4luigi:s Fireballs.

Final Smash: Sinister Arrow Raid - Decidueye gathers several arrows imbued with Ghost-Type energy and jumps up high. It then flies across the stage, raining arrows onto opponents. The arrows have minor explosive impact, so opponents will be launched once they've taken enough damage.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally, I support a character for their moveset potential--first and foremost. That said, in mine opinion it shouldn't matter how many characters a franchise has, so long as they bring something new and unique.

Among the three starter Pokémon in Sun and Moon, Decidueye is mine most wanted. To mine knowledge, there is no character currently in Smash with a strictly archery-based fighting style. Yes, Link and Pit have bows, but they only shoot them with one move. Whereas Decidueye could use its bow for almost its entire moveset.

So yeah, while I usually don't root for Pokémon newcomers, Decidueye is an exception for me.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Decidueye and Bewear would be my top 2 Pokemon candidates for the next Smash game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's beautiful! I want Decidueye in Smash even more!!!

I always liked the way it's designed.

Now I'm curious how Decidueye would look like if it's recolored like the Cape Feather from Super Mario World and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well guess who got something cool?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Crushed to see that Meowth still isn't in Pokken but at least Decidueye, my second most wanted Pokémon for Smash, made the cut in Pokken. I'm at least content with today's Nintendo Direct.

I like that we are getting Gold and Silver for 3DS Virtual Console but I'm a little disappointed that we are getting Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (so weird that 7th gen games got the 5th gen treatment yet 6th gen games had no 3rd game).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Very cool news. Dunno if I can bring myself to buy Pokken again though. :/

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm curious... other than Decidueye, what other Pokémon are in Pokken Switch that weren't in Pokken Wii U?

Top Bottom