• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social All Range Mode!

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Hello everyone. Im C.R.Z, a fox player from the UK. I should be around from now on to give advice and support the fox community abit. Kinda stayed away from fox boards since release and just lurked to see how everyone was growing the character. Im happy to have games with anyone that wants practice and will most definitely start streaming regularly towards the end of the month :)

Oh btw foxs sh backwards animation was changed in the most recent patch. Its been cleaned up and is actually much improved in every way. A nice hidden buff for our mobility

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Fox social, eh?

I may be a late bloomer to the StarFox franchise, but I'm starting to get the hang of playing their games.

I've been playing as Fox in Smash since I was a little kid. I even have his Amiibo.

But enough on my end. Anyone else here preorder StarFox Zero yet?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Fox social, eh?

I may be a late bloomer to the StarFox franchise, but I'm starting to get the hang of playing their games.

I've been playing as Fox in Smash since I was a little kid. I even have his Amiibo.

Awesome! What Star Fox games have you've played so far?

As much as a Star Fox fan I am, no, no I haven't preordered Zero...yet.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Hello everyone. Im C.R.Z, a fox player from the UK. I should be around from now on to give advice and support the fox community abit. Kinda stayed away from fox boards since release and just lurked to see how everyone was growing the character. Im happy to have games with anyone that wants practice and will most definitely start streaming regularly towards the end of the month :)

Oh btw foxs sh backwards animation was changed in the most recent patch. Its been cleaned up and is actually much improved in every way. A nice hidden buff for our mobility
Interesting, a mate of mine HNI was just talking about a Fox who took games of J. Miller, wouldn't happen to be you would it? :^)

You mean the SH reverse aerial rush? Can't say I noticed that, I wonder what exactly was changed

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah CRZ we have to play when I move to London 100%. I can't play the Luigi MU at all =[
Glad you're here at any rate =]

StarFox Zero is really weird for me. Yeah, the game looks really fun and a great expansion on the games of old but, realistically, those games of old are very outdated in terms of content. If I bought a game nowadays that I could beat in under an hour that expected me to replay it fifty times at the price of at least £40, I'd be pissed. Hopefully it's not like that. I'll wait for reviews and feedback 'till I get it.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Fox social, eh?

Star Fox 64 3D was the only game in the series I've played at the moment.

Same here and I got his amiibo not too long ago. Haven't started training him yet.

I'm gonna wait until Nintendo announce the official release date before I can preorder the game. Pretty excited about it.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox social, eh?

Sadly we are a pretty inactive Social for some reason. :(

I just hunted down his amiibo for myself as well because Fox is life.

I will definitely pre-order Zero closer to the date. Can't wait for it. <3

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Interesting, a mate of mine HNI was just talking about a Fox who took games of J. Miller, wouldn't happen to be you would it? :^)

You mean the SH reverse aerial rush? Can't say I noticed that, I wonder what exactly was changed
yep thats me

Yeah CRZ we have to play when I move to London 100%. I can't play the Luigi MU at all =[
Glad you're here at any rate =]

StarFox Zero is really weird for me. Yeah, the game looks really fun and a great expansion on the games of old but, realistically, those games of old are very outdated in terms of content. If I bought a game nowadays that I could beat in under an hour that expected me to replay it fifty times at the price of at least £40, I'd be pissed. Hopefully it's not like that. I'll wait for reviews and feedback 'till I get it.
yeah man definitely. tbh the luigi MU is like our worst mu.That character is way too strong atm, i rarely take games from miller

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sadly we are a pretty inactive Social for some reason. :(

I just hunted down his amiibo for myself as well because Fox is life.

I will definitely pre-order Zero closer to the date. Can't wait for it. <3
Inactive? That's not good. I imagine if there's a Nintendo Direct talking about StarFox Zero or when StarFox Zero comes out, things should liven up.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
yeah man definitely. tbh the luigi MU is like our worst mu.That character is way too strong atm, i rarely take games from miller
I actually feel the new patch helped a little against Luigi. New jab is a tiiiny bit better but realistically jabs sucked before but now we can laser camp better. Still suuuper hard MU though. Not sure if it or Ness post-patch is the hardest. Idk what the hell to do against Ness now without jabs =[

I'm flying off to England this Thursday to play in VSFighting and I have this really stupid mental block that's stressing me out with Fox. Like, the nerf pissed me off as is but I feel like I'm playing WAY worse than normal and I don't have time to retrain my muscle memory. Every time I do jab jab uptilt and they shield it I just tilt for the rest of the set. Really hoping I can fix it for this weekend >.>

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I actually feel the new patch helped a little against Luigi. New jab is a tiiiny bit better but realistically jabs sucked before but now we can laser camp better. Still suuuper hard MU though. Not sure if it or Ness post-patch is the hardest. Idk what the hell to do against Ness now without jabs =[
Yeah the Luigi MU really did take a turn for the more grim now that Dtilt can trip, at least with the 3+ frames of endlag on Fireballs, there's a small window in where you can get something going... but yeah you really start missing JabJab grab and Utilt against him.

Ness now is just plain pls no, we get Bthrown at like 70-80, Nair and Fair are just huge, and PK thunder is free if you're offstage.
The only GOOD thing is that if you do the finish at the ledge he gets thrown off ledge at least, so one can try a risky gimp option.... but god damn.

yep thats me

Man you hear that "anti grab" is how to play against Luigi, but even if you run from him, if you don't have the options to challenge him outside of hit'n run tactics, then what? Dumbest thing is probably Nair against Sweet spotted JabJab Usmash, cause I bet Nair will out prioritize Usmash / hit earlier cause it's like frame 3 anyway

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
One of the many reasons why I hate For Glory.

I mean how am I suppose to learn and improve my skill if my opponents ain't doing ****?

C.R.Z

Smash Lord

I'm flying off to England this Thursday to play in VSFighting and I have this really stupid mental block that's stressing me out with Fox. Like, the nerf pissed me off as is but I feel like I'm playing WAY worse than normal and I don't have time to retrain my muscle memory. Every time I do jab jab uptilt and they shield it I just tilt for the rest of the set. Really hoping I can fix it for this weekend >.>
killing now against certain characters is alot harder yeah. Ness and wario are prob the biggest MU changes now.And yes luigi is easier now since we can jab him at any percent and can shoot lazers safer.Still stupid mu though, not practical at all. I would play with you online but will most likely be in the usa for smash con this week.

Man you hear that "anti grab" is how to play against Luigi, but even if you run from him, if you don't have the options to challenge him outside of hit'n run tactics, then what? Dumbest thing is probably Nair against Sweet spotted JabJab Usmash, cause I bet Nair will out prioritize Usmash / hit earlier cause it's like frame 3 anyway
The problem with luigi is a number of things:

To start off with,his jab. His jab is 2 frames and disjointed (ofcourse). This means that from certain ranges he can react to an approach from fox by hitting the A button 3 times. Our dash attack isnt really disjoined so we either lose outright or clash and take more recovery than him. His jab combo does 10 percent and hard knock downs so youre forced to tech in some way(unless you di it up and then jump), if you dont then he gets a free fire ball and/or grab.Oh and its also one of the safest jab combos in the game because of its damage(last hit is 5 % so it gives above average shield stun and shield push back) and recovery.

Although we have a reflector it doesnt really help at mid range. He'll either carry on mashing the B button so they will clash or just jab/powershield the returning fireball.There isnt enough time to jump cancel shine and dash in and punish. Closer than that its too risky to shine because its frame 6 and has bad recovery.

Grab obviously op, stupid guaranteed damage/damage potential and kill potential. Best non tether grab in game.

Down B disjointed AF. Can be used to spike and kills stupid early from a throw. Miller won a tourney game a month ago against a Tlink by dthrowing tlink who was at 60 percent into down B with 130 percent rage and got a kill, winning the set.

Usmash best usmash in game. Great range and stupid recovery. we are one of the only characters that can punish it(dash attack) and thats not even all the time.When you are landing they have no reason not to spam the C stick up because it is literally free. Also 9 Frames start up...

His damage overall is way too high and his punishes are too rewarding.Hes just a really simple and rewarding character.In order for fox to win the luigi must make mistakes. If he plays solid then its unlikely you'll take a game.The risk for us is much higher than the reward. Prob top 3 character imo

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Oh sick, hope you have a good time at Smashcon dude =D

The only thing we really have going for us against Luigi is that we can Uair him fairly easily due to his poor aerial mobility. I'm now just gonna quote that writeup to anyone wondering why Luigi wins though >.>

I feel like Fox's matchup spread got sooo much worse after this patch. Non-Fox mains don't seem to realise how important jabs were for actually getting kills/setting up combos in so many matchups. I feel like before he only had four properly bad matchups and then a few annoying ones here and there randomly but now he has so many he randomly struggles with. The whole "just adapt" attitude is fine and all but when I get killed by a Roy for trying to follow up on my hit confirm from a bread and butter jab combo, it's extremely difficult to just adapt.

On the other hand, I think jabs are better against characters they were awful against before like Luigi, Sheik and Mario. I haven't played against Rosalina yet but I can imagine that'll be next to impossible with no consistent way to kill her now. Depends if regular jab combos into tippered jab against her.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Oh sick, hope you have a good time at Smashcon dude =D

The only thing we really have going for us against Luigi is that we can Uair him fairly easily due to his poor aerial mobility. I'm now just gonna quote that writeup to anyone wondering why Luigi wins though >.>

I feel like Fox's matchup spread got sooo much worse after this patch. Non-Fox mains don't seem to realise how important jabs were for actually getting kills/setting up combos in so many matchups. I feel like before he only had four properly bad matchups and then a few annoying ones here and there randomly but now he has so many he randomly struggles with. The whole "just adapt" attitude is fine and all but when I get killed by a Roy for trying to follow up on my hit confirm from a bread and butter jab combo, it's extremely difficult to just adapt.

On the other hand, I think jabs are better against characters they were awful against before like Luigi, Sheik and Mario. I haven't played against Rosalina yet but I can imagine that'll be next to impossible with no consistent way to kill her now. Depends if regular jab combos into tippered jab against her.
Thanks man, will do

well among the top players here in london its pretty much common knowledge that fox has been overrated since the game came out. He has some serious issues. He had issues before in brawl but has overall lost alot of consistency. Our match ups have always been iffy due to it being impossible to kill consistently. We cant kill for **** now...

ill ride it out though for now and see. I'll just continue to outplay people until they learn and see how the game grows. If im not satisfied ill jump ship to SFV when thats released and just become a TO/streamer for smash.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Don't get me wrong, I am excited for Zero! Just...have a few concerns about it...mainly the story as I'm not looking forward to the 64 similarities as much as I love the N64 game.
StarFox 64 3D and Adventures so far. I've been trying to find Assault so I can expand my knowledge about StarFox, but no luck so far.
You should definitely hunt down Assault if you don't mind Fox being out of his ship in certain segments and it's my personal favorite... Just make sure you use the second control option as the others aren't that great.

Oh how I would love a revamped version of this game with online multiplayer. (more then 4 players please..a lot of those maps were huge)

Oh yeah, and I did recently get my Fox amiibo.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
well among the top players here in london its pretty much common knowledge that fox has been overrated since the game came out. He has some serious issues. He had issues before in brawl but has overall lost alot of consistency. Our match ups have always been iffy due to it being impossible to kill consistently. We cant kill for **** now...
This is sooo true. Scotland telling me to "just adapt" when they think my character was already top 3/5 and he was nowhere even close. On one hand I do think Fox is underexplored but he's suffering from the same problem as Lucario was recently - as more people learn his weaknesses, he becomes less and less relevant. People are beginning to realise that if you get Fox offstage, you can basically take the stock - not to mention the fact he gets combo'd forever and has literally no safe KO options. Nair to USmash and Drill USmash are nowhere near being safe. Argh.

Re: Assault - is the multiplayer like Lylat Wars'? I never played the multiplayer and the game itself wasn't terribly exciting either but it might be fun to try out.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
This is sooo true. Scotland telling me to "just adapt" when they think my character was already top 3/5 and he was nowhere even close. On one hand I do think Fox is underexplored but he's suffering from the same problem as Lucario was recently - as more people learn his weaknesses, he becomes less and less relevant. People are beginning to realise that if you get Fox offstage, you can basically take the stock - not to mention the fact he gets combo'd forever and has literally no safe KO options. Nair to USmash and Drill USmash are nowhere near being safe. Argh.
Yeah the most common setups we have like weak dash attack to Uair, Dair to Usmash are very easy to deal with, just by holding shield.
You tried doing pivot Ftilts? Hipchecks still work to Usmash as a confirm, and even if you miss it they should be put in a tech chase situation.
Even Kirby has an easier time finishing people off than Fox, but the Kirby players are still just blindly approaching with Dair :|

I hate to say it, but customs did give us a crazy kill option in Twisting Fox, which also is almost impossible to challenge (Besides Vinnie proving you can do it with Bouncing Fish) making it very safe to recover with too, helping slightly with our telegraphed recovery.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Re: Assault - is the multiplayer like Lylat Wars'? I never played the multiplayer and the game itself wasn't terribly exciting either but it might be fun to try out.
Brah, it kicks 64/Lylat Wars ass when it comes to multiplayer and that's not just a bias statement. It's sorta like 64 with the ability to use the Arwing, Landmaster or be on-foot, but otherwise it's a different beast.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Customs definitely make Fox MUCH better. He has a followup out of Down Throw if they DI optimally for non-custom followups, an amazing KO options and a recovery that's pretty much invincible. That said, my views on Customs are not exactly private and they're not exactly positive.

Pivot Ftilt is actually reeeaaally good. It's very hard to answer on shield and it's great for spacing too. Need to work it into my play.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Customs definitely make Fox MUCH better. He has a followup out of Down Throw if they DI optimally for non-custom followups, an amazing KO options and a recovery that's pretty much invincible. That said, my views on Customs are not exactly private and they're not exactly positive.

Pivot Ftilt is actually reeeaaally good. It's very hard to answer on shield and it's great for spacing too. Need to work it into my play.
Another thing I like doing is, when I start doing pivot Ftilts, and one point I'll just slide in and do a running Pivot up B for the firefox, now this is risky, but so far It's been a great mixup for me, and it can kill Sheik at the higher percentages!
And if you play on a platform stage it's easier to recover without much trouble if you aim for one of those, it's not a trick I'd do more than once on FD.

Also yes, we gain from them, alas I also share the same attitude towards them, it's meh.

EDIT:
Also PSA

The video thread is going to have be sorted into replays of pre 1.10 and post 1.10 from now on to make sure people realize that jabjab isn't in the game anymore

Last edited:

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity where do you play in London?
There are tournaments at Meltdown every Monday evening and DatSmash tournaments every month. Just check out the smash uk facebook group.

pivot ftilt is really good but it loses to attacks so you cant substitute it for dash attack.

btw not going to smash con anymore. Got screwed over hard :(

Foster J.

Smash Ace
There are tournaments at Meltdown every Monday evening and DatSmash tournaments every month. Just check out the smash uk facebook group.

pivot ftilt is really good but it loses to attacks so you cant substitute it for dash attack.

Ryan Air? D:

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23

The heart of gaming is pretty close to me - Caladonian Road is a bit of a trek.

Truth be told my tournament days are well behind me, but might pop along to just support the scene more.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt

Does dash attack not lose trades to attack? As in, they have frame advantage. It's not much, though so I wouldn't replace it. It's good as a mixup approach/runaway tool.

And holy **** that sucks about no Smash Con dude D:

Apparently they're moving the Meltdown tournies to HoG or something like that? People are voting on it at any rate. The weeklies have Melee/PM too so I'm really excited for those as well.

Yo so my pool for VSFighting has a Rosalina in Winner's Semis and JMiller in Winner's Finals. I haven't played vs Rosa in a looong time - does any jab stuff still work on her? Is there anything new I really need to know?
http://challonge.com/VSF5SmashA

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Does dash attack not lose trades to attack? As in, they have frame advantage. It's not much, though so I wouldn't replace it. It's good as a mixup approach/runaway tool.

Apparently they're moving the Meltdown tournies to HoG or something like that? People are voting on it at any rate. The weeklies have Melee/PM too so I'm really excited for those as well.

Yo so my pool for VSFighting has a Rosalina in Winner's Semis and JMiller in Winner's Finals. I haven't played vs Rosa in a looong time - does any jab stuff still work on her? Is there anything new I really need to know?
You played Sheik last time against a Rosa in Scotland didn't you? I wouldn't go Fox against Rosa.... especially not anymore.

Well, rapid jab will probably push Luma, but besides the perfect spaced jabjab that sends them upwards into a Usmash then I don't know, at most you could probably do jabjab turn around utilt to hit luma ?
Though I heard a guy saying that due to the lack of hitstun on the 2nd jab Luma can attack you / clash with the Usmash if she's not at the true combo percentage, which is probably around 120-140, it was 130 for Sheik but I have no idea about Rosa.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Also super salty about getting 3rd at my Monthly. I could not for the live of me finish off this Falcon or Robin who ofc played it like they should.

Sakurai give us a kill option!

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I SD'd like a champion against DX but he played super well. Wasn't used to his aggro Rosa-playstyle.

In Top 8, at any rate. I think the stream is in a few hours at twitch.tv/electronicdojo

C.R.Z

Smash Lord

Dash attack can lose to some attacks like jabs but if youre doing the dash attacks at the correct range its hard to react to. Its 4 frames which is god like. It can also hit before there moves come out because of this. Overall its just a better approach option. If pivot ftilt was that usuable we would never not use it :D

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Ended up 5th at VSF. Really happy with the placement but, uh, please don't watch my Loser's game against Willz. To say he got in my head is just... I had an easier time against Miller than I did against him. I couldn't touch him and the crowd was so loud, he taunted so much and BLARGH. Got some great friendlies in with Miller's Luigi, JChild's Ness and so on. Ness feels really hard without jabs, though D:

And yeah Dash Attack is mad broke. Ftilt can be really unsafe when used in succession, would generally just use it sparingly as a mixup. I barely used it this weekend so meh.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
If only we could combo off the strong hit of Dash attack haha, that would be mad broke!
Well that happens Skarfelt, I saw Megafox versus Denti today.... MF was IN his head, reading 75 % of the air dodges and a lot of roll reads too... and Denti could stabilize with just a single grab cause Luigi.

But those games happen man, what's important is to not get psyched and mentally "reset" yourself for the next game or stock, if you discover your own mental switch you'll do better.

But yeah a loud crowd gets everyone, I guess that's why we love music

Also LMAO Willz!
http://oddshot.tv/shot/electronicdojo-20150809121010856
You weren't kidding Skar haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom