• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Purpose Donkey Kong Thread

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'll get Mario + Rabbids 2 solely for Rayman but otherwise most of what they showed isn't for me. I didn't watch the Direct either, I just saw headlines and looked at Tears of the Kingdom's trailer.

Diddy Kong Diddy Kong I actually forgot Diddy isn't in MK8D. They might turn that around but it'll probably be in the future. Ah well, I never bother with leaks since they ruin hype tbh. Most of them are hoaxes and pranks

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't have MK8D and have only played a friend's copy, so I also didn't realize Diddy isn't in it. What an odd exclusion. Oh well, at least Diddy getting into Mario Strikers Battle League is a good thing :3
I might actually buy it because of this honestly. It's the best DK related news in a while, and it's sad.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Glad to see Diddy in Strikers. I was afraid they were going to leave him out like they did in Mario Golf. Pauline is also great, she's one of the original 3 arcade characters with DK and Mario, so I've always wanted her to appear more in spin offs.

My pipe dream of getting Dixie and Funky in there is one step closer. Still a long shot, but I have a little more hope now that Diddy's in.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey just felt like sharing a WIP. What could it be??
Great art as always. Started to miss it with the specific Dixie discussion dying out.

Truth to be told, am not even sure if Dixie is happening in the case of a new DK game. They might just opt for the minimal representation + Kremlings, or maybe she'd be a NPC in a new game. Am not too confident in her chances in Smash either, cause with the confirmed Cranky appearance in the Mario movie, he's also a very easy choice.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Great art as always. Started to miss it with the specific Dixie discussion dying out.

Truth to be told, am not even sure if Dixie is happening in the case of a new DK game. They might just opt for the minimal representation + Kremlings, or maybe she'd be a NPC in a new game. Am not too confident in her chances in Smash either, cause with the confirmed Cranky appearance in the Mario movie, he's also a very easy choice.
Thanks! I haven't been doing digital art in a while so I wanted to get back to it.

But as for Dixie's chances, I agree. Her situation is dire especially with DK being dormant. I'm not putting much faith in anything DK related for the time being and Dixie's back to being a nobody in Smash speculation. ATM it's more of a pipe dream, if she does get interest there'll be a treasure trove of moveset ideas to dust off but for now I'm just gonna pump out some concepts every once in a while.

If I had more time, I'd probably draw stuff for other Kongs too like Cranky and Lanky. But I don't have time lol

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As mentioned in the Off My Chest thread, I've largely made my peace with Nintendo focusing on genres/franchises I'm not as much interested in and that making the likes of DK a more active IP isn't likely soon (either due to deficit of ability or interest). I do admit that I fear Donkey Kong just losing relevance because of a lack of games could be happening as time goes on. The fact that a new entry from the series isn't on Switch doesn't seem to bother (or at times even be noticed) by many outside the fandom in some ways has bummed me out as much as the lack of a game itself. It creates an odd disconnect when I see the gushing by some about the console's library and the strong representation of various cornerstones of Nintendo while the system still feels so incomplete without a Country game to call its own.

The Gamecube certainly felt like it missed something not getting a major mainline title, but Jungle Beat was at least something well made, even if not entirely to my taste. That Switch hasn't even managed that thus far is a downer regardless of the strength of its games.

Dixie's lack of appearances in spin-offs is just a bad blind spot no matter what. Her making it in MK Tour and not any of the console Mario Kart games feels like laziness, and that's the most generous interpretation. The other is that Nintendo is so selectively sterile in its crossover ideas that they've deemed Cat Mario and Pink Gold Peach as better fits than Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie you say, they even refuse to readd Diddy for these characters and baby versions of everyone despite him being in two previous Mario Kart games. So Dixie is really not on the table at all.

Not sure what to even think of it, they had the perfect excuse to make her a relevant character again after Tropical Freeze, but they didn't. It only gotten worse it seems.

I'm still honestly extremely baffled on how everything turned out for Donkey Kong after DKC Returns. It resulted in just ONE more game and ports, despite being popular, selling well, and having a good developer to back the series up and a developer that really needed the success too. I would've expected at least two new DKC games from Retro with how much time has passed already and how many ideas they still had, but no.

It's tiresome really. Not even disappointing, just tiresome.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My personal suspicion is that Donkey Kong is in the weird place of being too important to have (what Nintendo would consider) a potential release that's only okay, but not important enough to be more highly prioritized by the company proper in getting any sort of steady release, including a more focused effort to get it a dedicated studio. As hard as the latter is to do, its hard to escape a sense that it were more vital to the big N, it probably would have happened by now.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My personal suspicion is that Donkey Kong is in the weird place of being too important to have (what Nintendo would consider) a potential release that's only okay, but not important enough to be more highly prioritized by the company proper in getting any sort of steady release, including a more focused effort to get it a dedicated studio. As hard as the latter is to do, its hard to escape a sense that it were more vital to the big N, it probably would have happened by now.
I rather have had some "minor" games as DK Jungle Climber in the meanwhile than nothing honestly. This makes me miss PAON, who was the most steady DK developer we ever had.

I get that they aren't too keen on going the Donkey Konga route again, but what about a game in the likeness of Jungle Beat? That was also made by then Nintendo EAD. Just slap in some more action buttons, DKC elements, and it's a good enough release to fill the drought. They do it with Zelda too, can't say that Link's Awakening DX or the remakes are as solid as a release as Tears of the Kingdom will be after all.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Interesting idea for animal buddies that could've been expanded on; rival counterparts for more of them like how Squawks had Screech.

Sadly, I expect the animal buddies themselves to be mostly omitted in a new DK like they were in the Retro Studio ones. No Enguarde was at least understandable though since TF made the swimming mechanics themselves better than ever before.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Tanabe actually did lament the lack of animal buddies in TF.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Animal Buddies where probably cool in the eyes of Nintendo, they made their own in Jungle Beat after all. And those Screech like counterparts are pretty damn cool, especially the hippo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, I finally got around to showing the idea😅
Hello everyone, after a hiatus I've returned with a new idea for Dixie Kong.

This entry is another for the Super Hair category, which covers Hair Attacks that defy physics in a more cartoony manner, whether it's a case of flying or drilling. Speaking of which:

Dixie spins her hair like a drill and rushes forward! As she keeps low to the ground, her ponytail impales foes whilst drilling into them, racking up damage and carrying them through the trajectory. Enemies take more damage at the point of impact, and take weaker continuous damage as they're carried unwillingly by the drill.

This differs from Meta Knight's Drill Rush it can't be angled while Dixie runs but it can be stopped early. However, the endlag is notable as whenever Dixie stops her momentum will cause her to slide a bit, so while you do have another brand of Kongicide you can inflict on foes, using this on the edge of a Walk-Off Stage is risky even without a victim.

This move is inspired by Meta Knight's Side B, Greninja's Running Animation and Dixie's Swimming Animation from Tropical Freeze. Thanks to her using her hair as a drill in that, Drill-Like attacks are now on the table. It seems there are many ways to spin a ponytail.

If anyone wants an idea of potential options for Dixie, I have a Google Doc covering a myriad of ideas that grows ever so slightly. The more high quality images are closer to the bottom.
There's also the old Smash Ultimate thread for Dixie as well.
It might be a while before the next one but I hope y'all like it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
something to do before the next animal crossing I guess
Won't happen, Animal Crossing has surpassed DK as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises by now. Weird how it all happened, can't quite believe it myself, but I don't see this exact case happen any time soon. Even Splatoon might be asking for too much... We've had more Splatoon games now than DKC games not made by Rare.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Won't happen, Animal Crossing has surpassed DK as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises by now. Weird how it all happened, can't quite believe it myself, but I don't see this exact case happen any time soon. Even Splatoon might be asking for too much... We've had more Splatoon games now than DKC games not made by Rare.
yes i know all that. although i can believe AC became more popular than DKC

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
yes i know all that. although i can believe AC became more popular than DKC
Animal Crossing was huge on the 3DS and now Switch, Nintendo's most successful systems in recent age, DK only had ports on both systems. It's easy to see how this happened.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Animal Crossing was huge on the 3DS and now Switch, Nintendo's most successful systems in recent age, DK only had ports on both systems. It's easy to see how this happened.
animal crossing would most likely have over taken dk regardless

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Animal Crossing is a unique case. New Horizons was gonna sell big regardless, but covid helped it sell to unprecedented levels, which resulted in even me picking the game up to play casually for a little while, and I normally don't care for AC, but 2020 was such an otherwise empty time after beating other games that I felt compelled to buy it then.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Saw the Mario movie trailer. It looks pretty, they might try to be more comedic than action as far as tone but I can't say I'm excited or embarrassed. I'm just cautious about it, but I only look at 1 trailer for movies so I won't be looking out for the next trailer. Hope it doesn't suck.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
There's also the Mario movie with DK and Cranky, and I haven't looked into it in quite some time, but there was that gate thingy in Nintendoland that heavily implied a DK section will be added eventually. Come to think of it, next year might be a better time to announce a DK game, since the movie will renew interest in the character and IP. And now I'm wishing even more that we had gotten a trailer for the Mario movie. I'm dying to know whether I'll love it for being pretty good (tbh my standards aren't even that high), enjoy it ironically, or heavily dislike it. The announcement was such a trail mix of wut that I still don't know how to feel about it. Fingers crossed that it'll be good!
Back in this thread to happily report that the trailer has me very optimistic that the Mario movie will be good! Which will put more attention onto DK and Cranky, and increase my hopes that we'll someday get a DK movie :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Back in this thread to happily report that the trailer has me very optimistic that the Mario movie will be good! Which will put more attention onto DK and Cranky, and increase my hopes that we'll someday get a DK movie :)
well if nintendo have got nintendo pictures now it'll surely be inevitable

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A Donkey Kong Country movie sounds like a next logical step and sounds awesome.

But... we still have Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong and I'm not about that....

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong being next in line is a very exciting thought, and I hope it comes true. Rumors imply it to be, but yeah, rumors talk about a new DK game for ages too... However, Cranky appears in the Mario movie, and that's just huge.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Here's the top 20 requested Nintendo fighters from that poll:

1. Bandana Waddle Dee - 475
  2. Waluigi - 459
  3. Isaac - 307
  4. Dixie Kong - 199
  5. Paper Mario - 120
  6. Rhythm Heaven - 112
  7. Skull Kid - 111
  8. Elma - 91
  9. Officier Howard - 75
  10. Impa - 69
  11. Krystal - 68
  12. Raven Beak - 68
  13. Toad - 66
  14. Porky - 57
  15. Chibi-Robo - 50
  16. Ashley - 49
  17. Noah - 49
  18. Empress Zeithia - 47
  19. Grovyle - 41
  20. Takamaru - 37
Some notes:

• The three kings seem to be Bandana Dee, Waluigi and Isaac. Dixie is beneath them, but there's a somewhat noticeable power gap.
  • Not a bad showing for Krystal tbh, from what I've heard she wasn't in the top 50 the last time.
  • Who are the poor saps that voted for Grovyle and Empress Zeithia
  • Surprised how pretty low Ashley was this time around.
EDIT: so I went ahead and looked at the last poll they did back in 2020, and here were the top 20 for that:

1. Bandana Waddle Dee – 591
  2. Waluigi – 522
  3. Isaac – 353
  4. Dixie Kong – 343
  5. Rex & Pyra – 307
  6. Paper Mario – 196
  7. Porky – 176
  8. Skull Kid – 145
  9. Elma – 110
  10. Rillaboom – 79
  11. Impa – 69
  12. Karate Joe – 63
  13. Krystal – 62
  14. Chibi-Robo – 57
  15. Midna – 57
  16. Cinderace – 55
  17. Akira Howard – 54
  18. Octoling – 53
  19. Toxtricity – 49
  20. Chorus Kids - 47
Interesting that Bandana Dee, Waluigi, Isaac and Dixie were still the top four back then.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Here's the top 20 requested Nintendo fighters from that poll:

1. Bandana Waddle Dee - 475
  2. Waluigi - 459
  3. Isaac - 307
  4. Dixie Kong - 199

1. Bandana Waddle Dee – 591
  2. Waluigi – 522
  3. Isaac – 353
  4. Dixie Kong – 343
Interesting that Bandana Dee, Waluigi, Isaac and Dixie were still the top four back then.
I think this definitely speaks to the power of the respective fandoms at work that even with less votes all four still topped the first party list.

All of them deserve a chance at being playable in Smash, and here's hoping that they get their chance in the next game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I bought my Switch initially for the DKC Tropical Freeze port, cause I never owned a Wii U so never played it before the Switch version. Am just so disappointed that it's the only DK Switch game till date, I had such high expectations.

Top Bottom