• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Hail Virtual Boxer: Harry from Teleroboxer (Echo Fighter)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
With the announcement of Echo Fighters, a lot more candidates now seem plausible, despite a second, third, or...whathaveyou-ranked popularity.

With Doc Louis appearing as Little Mac's trainer in the victory pose and ARMS characters not having the same proportions, it may be a proper fit that the oft-forgotten Virtual Boy may have a representation in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Teleroboxer takes place in the 22nd century. Humans have developed a new type of robotic-science called Telerobotnics which enables robots to flawlessly mimic the movements of a human. The purpose of these robots were to allow humans to perform jobs in conditions unbearable to them Dr. Edward Maki Jr. developed a way to increase the interest in telerobotnics by creating a competition that pit two of these robots against each other in a sport he titled teleroboxing. After its conception, teleroboxing became very popular around the world. Everyone claimed to be the best of them all, which led to the creation of a worldwide teleroboxing tournament. In the game the player competes in this tournament. Harry is the name given to the robot that the player fights with. He has a red body and spikes on his head which are meant to resemble spiky hair.

A few thoughts on how/why he could/should be implemented:
  • Teleroboxer was created by Nintendo R&D1, and has a very similar feel to Punch Out.
  • Teleroboxer was among the very few Virtual Boy games not to be universally lambasted.
  • Harry, the main boxer/character, would be almost an exact Echo of Little Mac with the exception of more power and less speed.
  • Like Pokemon Trainer, Harry would be "controlled" by a user from a different platform.
  • When Harry lands a punch, "sparks" can emit from the contact.
  • Nintendo has recently lightheartedly recognized the Virtual Boy as part of their history, ignomious though that part may be:

While Harry could have various colors/alts (as pictured below), I think his main should be the red/black that is known so well.

Harry's knockouts:
  1. Wonks
  2. SSBCandidates
  3. GoodGrief741
  4. smashkirby
  5. Geno Boost
  6. Torgo the Bear
  7. HYRULESHERO42

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Add me as a supporter. Did not know if to make a thread or not as mine are not usually popular.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don’t expect him to make it in, and don’t think he’d make a good echo fighter (we want him to feel heavy and hit hard, like a robot).

That said, I support him to hell and back. Such a cool looking game.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i support him! he is in my top 15 most wanted newcomers
i actually wanted to make a thread about him but good it exsist now
and yes i played Teleroboxer throughout emulator
also here is intersting thing i found out
We always get a character based off one of Gunpei Yokoi’s inventions (:ultgnw:in melee:ultrob:in brawl:ultduckhunt:in sm4sh) Yokoi made the Virtual Boy Nintendo only made one original IP on the Virtual Boy Which was produced by Yokoi “Teleroboxer”
and since takamaru (which is a retro rep) now got deconfimred as assist trophy even though Sakurai considered adding him i think that increase Harry's chances also Sakurai is unpredictable he never mentioned :ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpit::ultduckhunt::ultwiifittrainer: before they became playable and their support was extremely small
i dont expect Harry to get revealed anytime soon until the game releases because he is obscure and he would be kept hidden in the game as secret character probably if he ended up in any smash game
in my opnion i think if we are getting another retro rep i think its either Nester or Harry because of what they represent in Nintendo's history
i dont think Harry would be echo i think he could really unique if his moveset are a mix of :ultdk::ultlittlemac: and virtual boy games stuff since he is the one that would represent the virtual boy something similar to :ultduckhunt: who represent the zapper he doesnt only use stuff only from his game but also other zapper games as well this is how i see Harry's playstyle
oh and by the way a year ago i made a 3D model of Harry and i am the first one to ever do that
here are few images of my Harry's model

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Geno Boost said:
by the way a year ago i made a 3D model of Harry and i am the first one to ever do that
Very nice; color me impressed.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Why do I love the Smash fanbase? They get ideas that are so much better than the real thing. Like this. This is totally ridiculous, but at the same time it seems so fitting. Stupidly obscure characters are my favorite newcomers to support. I am DEFINITELY behind this.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Why do I love the Smash fanbase? They get ideas that are so much better than the real thing. Like this. This is totally ridiculous, but at the same time it seems so fitting. Stupidly obscure characters are my favorite newcomers to support. I am DEFINITELY behind this.
Thank you so much!! :)

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Love obscure first party characters. Count me in.

Would he be big? Heavy? Fast? Slow? His game was brutally difficult so I’d think he’d be tough to fight or master

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, I've been wondering... if Harry was added to Smash, what do you all think his reveal trailer would be like? You think it would involve him fighting Mac or R.O.B.?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Say, I've been wondering... if Harry was added to Smash, what do you all think his reveal trailer would be like? You think it would involve him fighting Mac or R.O.B.?
I think it would involve the Virtual Boy specifically in some manner. Maybe something with the colors red & black. I do imagine ROB and G&W may be involved, but Mac I think might be a retread of Kencineroar's trailer. Maybe Terry or Ryu instead?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think it would begin similar to terry by showing all Nintendo consoles then stops at the virtual boy then the fight would begin with Little mac

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think it would involve the Virtual Boy specifically in some manner. Maybe something with the colors red & black. I do imagine ROB and G&W may be involved, but Mac I think might be a retread of Kencineroar's trailer. Maybe Terry or Ryu instead?
Now that you mention it, yeah. Mac would feel too much like a retread at that point (ESPECIALLY considering the nature of King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie's reveals). This being said, what do you think of Harry taking on R.O.B. in a sort of 'Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots'-styled reveal? Personally, I find it... kind of hilarious, actually.

I think it would begin similar to terry by showing all Nintendo consoles then stops at the virtual boy then the fight would begin with Little mac
Yeah, I feel like Harry's reveal would start off like that, and then go into the actual trailer.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Now that you mention it, yeah. Mac would feel too much like a retread at that point (ESPECIALLY considering the nature of King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie's reveals). This being said, what do you think of Harry taking on R.O.B. in a sort of 'Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots'-styled reveal? Personally, I find it... kind of hilarious, actually.
I'd be very down for this.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
A Virtual Boy rep would be a neat idea. I wish Nintendo rereleased these games on the 3DS when they had the chance. Thankfully Labo VR exists.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd be very down for this.
What's more, I had the additional idea of Harry's reveal starting off with the Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots portion in the beginning, but then either he or R.O.B. end up using one of their special moves, showing us that this robot fight is about to be taken to a whole new level.

From there, the two robots would start going at each other like how you'd see a typical Smash Bros. fight in the cinematic portion of a reveal trailer (i.e. Link vs. Possessed Marth and Meta Knight in the Hero's reveal trailer).

i made this Virtual boy era fighter pack DLC idea what do you think?
Wow, this looks amazing! If I may ask, did you use a template or something for this?

A Virtual Boy rep would be a neat idea. I wish Nintendo rereleased these games on the 3DS when they had the chance. Thankfully Labo VR exists.
I always figured if the Virtual Boy would get any playable representation, it would either be the Virtual Boy itself (knowing Sakurai, he'd be crazy enough to consider that idea) or Harry.

Also, I feel as if the Labobot is a spiritual successor to Harry, honestly.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
What's more, I had the additional idea of Harry's reveal starting off with the Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots portion in the beginning, but then either he or R.O.B. end up using one of their special moves, showing us that this robot fight is about to be taken to a whole new level.

From there, the two robots would start going at each other like how you'd see a typical Smash Bros. fight in the cinematic portion of a reveal trailer (i.e. Link vs. Possessed Marth and Meta Knight in the Hero's reveal trailer).

Wow, this looks amazing! If I may ask, did you use a template or something for this?

I always figured if the Virtual Boy would get any playable representation, it would either be the Virtual Boy itself (knowing Sakurai, he'd be crazy enough to consider that idea) or Harry.

Also, I feel as if the Labobot is a spiritual successor to Harry, honestly.
this template https://imgur.com/a/UvHqGgv

Geno Boost

Smash Master
You know there are things i always wondered about Teleroboxer
first this description of Big Rick

if there is ever a teleroboxer 2 this better be covered up i am interested to know what happened to his twin brother and if he turns out to be a teleroboxer that we have to fight
however the other thing is this fighter that we have not seen in the game but only in box art

i am curious to know why this character was designed its very well made to be left out with no explanation.
lastly an unused character called Chader using a robot called Headome whose indian and 97 year old as far as we know from the files i kinda have the feelings its suppose to look like armadillo but i am not sure i can see the brain is exposed though

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Man, it's been so long that I forgot Harry had a thread on here. I'll say this much, I do appreciate Smash Ultimate showing him some love as a Spirit.
He is the only virtual boy spirit and I am glad virtual boy content hasn’t been completely forgotten Like it was in 64 and melee and brawl and sm4sh there was nothing regarding virtual boy content besides names of virtual boy games in brawl chronicles however there wasn’t even a sticker that reference any of the virtual boy games.

Top Bottom