• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alex Kidd: Miracle World Support Thread

Jumpman1985

Smash Rookie

Alex Kidd (アレックス・キッド Arekkusu Kiddo) is a video game character whose popularity peaked during the late 1980s and who was the protagonist of both a series of video games released by Sega and their fictional universe, as well as in numerous spin-off merchandise such as novelizations and comics. For a time he was an unofficial mascot of the Sega Corporation before Sonic the Hedgehog.

Alex Kidd was the protagonist of several video games over the years, spanning various platforms, and appeared in the arcade and on the Sega Master System and the Mega Drive/Genesis home consoles. Alex Kidd's popularity was at a peak with the release of the first game in the series, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, in 1986, which was later built into the Master System console without need of a cartridge and was playable from purchase of the console.

In the mid-to-late 1980s, Alex Kidd overtook the character of "Opa-Opa" from the game Fantasy Zone as the official mascot for Sega. However, Sega wished to have a mascot to rival Nintendo's flagship character Mario, a task which Alex Kidd was not considered up to. In 1991, Sega introduced Sonic the Hedgehog, who became more popular and recognizable than Alex Kidd, and Sonic subsequently replaced Alex Kidd as Sega's mascot. After this, the popularity of the character waned somewhat, although the character has made numerous cameo appearances in later video games, most recently in Sega Superstars Tennis, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

A young martial artist named Alex Kidd one day learns of a villain named Janken the Great who has defeated King Thunder of the city of Radaxian and who has kidnapped his son, Prince Egle (or 'Igul'), and Egle's fiancée Princess Lora. Discovering that he is the lost son of King Thunder, Alex sets out to rescue the kingdom. On his quest, he defeats Janken's henchmen and retrieves various items which lead him toward Janken whom he defeats and sees turned to stone. Alex retrieves the crown, and the people of Radaxian are restored under the newly crowned King Egle.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a 2D platform game. The player must finish levels and overcome obstacles and puzzles in both scrolling and single-screen environments. Throughout the 17 stages, Alex faces many monsters and the three henchmen of Janken the Great, before facing Janken himself.
Alex's punching ability is used to destroy enemies and to break rocks in order to access new paths and to collect items such as money which can then be used to purchase other items including vehicles such as motorbikes and helicopters. At the end of many stages, Alex plays jan-ken-pon (rock, paper, scissors) with one of Janken's henchmen. Alex dies with one hit, or by losing a game of rock, paper, scissors.
The game has no save system, but by holding the directional pad up and pressing the 2 button eight times at the Game Over screen, the player will restart the level with three new lives, at a cost of 400 Baums (the in-game currency).

Some re-releases of the series were released on the Wii's Virtual Console.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For anyone interested: Alex Kidd In Miracle World has been available on the Nintendo Switch eShop for a while under the SEGA Classics line of games.

For 6€ I'd say It is a good game to pick. The bosses can be quite tough due to the Rock, Paper, Scissors gimmick but besides that It is a really solid platformer.

And who knows, maybe if many people buy the port we may be able to see some kind of Alex Kidd content added to Smash in the near future (such as Mii costumes or even an Assist trophy).

D

Deleted member

to activate his Final Smash he has to FIND THE MIRACLE BALL!
Alex Kidd's final Smash could unironically be one of the funniest in the series.

Beating the opponent in a rock paper Scissors match and then finishing them with a meteor Smash done by a heavyweight thrown from the sky.

If animated right It would be hilarious to use.

D

Deleted member

Recently I've felt positive about Alex Kidd getting a remake sooner or later.

With SEGA's 60th anniversary currently taking place and the success of the recent Sakura Wars PS4 and Streets Of Rage 4 I feel SEGA will keep reviving some of their series and put the right amount of effort behind them.

D

Deleted member

I honestly never thought I'd see Alex Kidd make a comeback!
I always had hope between the Alex Kidd fan-remake seemingly being approved by SEGA (which turned into the beta for this new game) and the recent tendency SEGA has of reviving series such as Sakura Wars or Streets Of Rage.

Glad I never lost hope!!!!!! ❤

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I always had hope between the Alex Kidd fan-remake seemingly being approved by SEGA (which turned into the beta for this new game) and the recent tendency SEGA has of reviving series such as Sakura Wars or Streets Of Rage.

Glad I never lost hope!!!!!! ❤
Now all I really need is Shining Force and I'd be set!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
D

Deleted member

I feel Alex Kidd is likely to get any kind of content in Smash Ultimate alongside a new SEGA rep.

Personally betting on a Mii costume, hopefully with a remix of the main theme of Miracle World.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How weird.

I was talking about Alex Kidd yesterday.

Anyway I support. I'm actually old enough that I remember when Alex Kidd was Sega's mascot. Miracle World was the first game I ever watched being played by a friend(although I didn't get to play one until Sonic 2).

I've wanted Kidd to get a revival for years but gave up due to the hopelessness of it. Buying the remake/revival as soon as I can.

Instant support!

D

Deleted member

How weird.

I was talking about Alex Kidd yesterday.

Anyway I support. I'm actually old enough that I remember when Alex Kidd was Sega's mascot. Miracle World was the first game I ever watched being played by a friend(although I didn't get to play one until Sonic 2).

I've wanted Kidd to get a revival for years but gave up due to the hopelessness of it. Buying the remake/revival as soon as I can.

Instant support!
I will try my best to buy the Game at launch even if I have to fight my parents over It.

My first Alex Kidd game was quite ironically Enchanted Castle, and I really loved It.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As much as I love the idea of an Alex Kidd remake, I hope they fix the art style for the modern version.
The original is already pixelated; the remade graphics should be a high definition hand drawn style like the Wonder Boy remake.

D

Deleted member

Been playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World from the SEGA Ages line of Switch ports as a way to prepare myself for the remake.

The game does benefit a lot from continues and a rewind function, as playing It the original way can be tough for Modern players.

I hope that the remake does offer these functions (which I feel positive It will likely have them).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Been playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World from the SEGA Ages line of Switch ports as a way to prepare myself for the remake.

The game does benefit a lot from continues and a rewind function, as playing It the original way can be tough for Modern players.

I hope that the remake does offer these functions (which I feel positive It will likely have them).
hopefully they add Stella

D

Deleted member

Yo guys, the Arthur Mii costume is really great news for Alex Kidd content in Smash.

Back in FP1, my hopes for seeing Alex Kidd at least as a Mii costume started to grow when Goemon got announced as a Mii costume. It showed that we could get really Sort of obscure picks for these.

Then the new Alex Kidd game got announced last year and my hopes started growing even more. A new game would motivate Nintendo to approach the Smash team and SEGA to maybe do some small marketing for It by adding a Mii costume to Smash.

That was mostly It for a long while... Up until today.
Today, the Smash team announced an Arthur Mii costume, and It was seemingly added to Sort of promote the new remake.
And hear me on this one: if they can add a Mii costume to promote a Game which got announced literally three months ago, wouldn't It feel less weirder that they would do the same for a game which got announced during the middle of last year?

I feel that today the chances for Alex Kidd content in Smash have become more promising. And with the only old Mii costume remaining being Lloyd, It could mean that we could get an entire Fighter Pack with just new Mii costumes.

So if they turn out to reveal a SEGA character of any sort on this Pass... This could finally be It for us!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I support Alex Kidd. I am embarrassed to say that I know almost nothing about his games, but being the forerunner to Sonic as the Sega mascot, and being as old as he is, he definitely has a chance.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Been recently trying to play through all the Alex Kidd titles in preparation for the Miracle DX release(I even shelled out for the Collector's on this one, something I've never done before).

There's a 'Let's Create a Sega Smash clone' thread over in Gaming now referred to as 'Battle of Ages', and I did a fair bit of art for ol' Alex since I was a HUGE fan of his as a...err... kidd.

Here's some colour palettes to start us off:

Alex-Kidd-Palette-Swaps.png

Still can't believe Alex Kidd started off as a Dragonball game. Crazy.

I'll post the other "Battle of Ages" at later points.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Been recently trying to play through all the Alex Kidd titles in preparation for the Miracle DX release(I even shelled out for the Collector's on this one, something I've never done before).

There's a 'Let's Create a Sega Smash clone' thread over in Gaming now referred to as 'Battle of Ages', and I did a fair bit of art for ol' Alex since I was a HUGE fan of his as a...err... kidd.

Here's some colour palettes to start us off:

View attachment 316324

Still can't believe Alex Kidd started off as a Dragonball game. Crazy.

I'll post the other "Battle of Ages" at later points.
nice i love it i think Egle should be a skin pallet for Alex kidd too https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/a...est/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20130808113150
also wouldnt it make more sense if Stella became alt skin for Alex Kidd?
her pallet can be based on
-Princess Lora

-Queen Patricia

-Alex's Girlfriend

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
nice i love it i think Egle should be a skin pallet for Alex kidd too https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/a...est/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20130808113150
also wouldnt it make more sense if Stella became alt skin for Alex Kidd?
her pallet can be based on
-Princess Lora

-Queen Patricia

-Alex's Girlfriend
I like that a lot. I'm actually saving Egul for something slightly different later down the line, since he starred in his own game, but he's a good shout for an alt.

Alex's girlfriend deserved a name at least though, come on SEGA. Egul's wife got a name, Alex's mother got a name... Alex's dad even got two names in Sander and Thor.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I ordered the Signature Edition of Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX for Switch, which arrived on Monday, and gotta say; it contains a lot of high quality items.

I beat the game pretty quickly. Very charming, lots to love here between Alex's new artstyle, the tweaks to the boss battles, the new sound track that even comes with 8-bit versions of the new tunes and the collectibles that reference Alex's history.

I'm a little disappointed the professional critics seem to be panning it for being so similar to Alex Kidd in Miracle World. An odd criticism tbh as it IS that title, but I guess Alex Kidd was always a love it or hate it title.

Seems to be doing a lot better with the general public though. Seen lots of rave reviews for it from Youtubers.

My only complaints are

1.) I'd have liked to have seen Enchanted Castle tacked on the end of this to get the full 'Alex rescuing his family' saga in one package, especially since Jankenteam themselves even included concept art sketches of King Thunder and Queen Patricia in the Signature Edition's art book:

King-Thunder.png

Queen-Patricia.png

and neither appear in the Miracle World DX game...

It's clear they want to at least cover Enchanted Castle as well, but with such a small team(I think it's five people officially which probably prevented them being able to add more) so I hope this sells well enough they can at least go on to make more Alex Kidd titles.

and 2.) Some slightly obtuse gameplay decisions that back in 1986 may have made sense but modern gaming conventions will make the general public expect one thing and get something totally different. Yes, this is where I do agree a bit with the professional reviews:

Okay so there's this one part of Janken's Castle that I totally forgot about. Alex is very bouyant so he naturally floats up. You come to this spike maze:

Miracle-World-Spike-Trap-Pit.png

That's too small a gap to thread the needle easily, and Alex's sprite is actually a little too big to avoid touching some of those spikes, especially when he naturally floats up. And the rest of the game has trained you to worry about instant death. You cannot return the way you came either. So you're stuck here....

This inevitably leads you to attempt to avoid the top spikes, making you accidentally touch the bottom ones as you try to fight Alex's natural bouyancy...

...only you don't need to.

Because those top spikes? Non lethal.

Miracle-World-Spike-Trap-Pit-safe-passage.png

Yes, providing you don't push up into them, Alex will harmlessly float into the spikes and can just be pushed right or left accordingly.

This is a game where a tiny bat can kill Alex, so regardless if this is true to the original game or not, the rest of DX has trained you to think EVERYTHING will kill Alex. This would be lethal in any other video game, not just a one hit kill one so you'll naturally want to avoid spearing yourself.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So in a bit of a surprise, Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX has received some patches which fix a few of the issues people had at launch:

Fixes to collision being wonky for the new graphics, more responsive controls and the addition of a level select allowing you to pick levels you want to play upon completion rather than being forced to replay everything again. Multiple bug fixes have been added too.

The patch has been available on Steam since the beginning of the month, but has just got the go ahead for it now on the console versions.

I have yet to give the patch a go myself but I'll see how it is tonight.

D

Deleted member

Still holding out some slim hope for an Alex Kidd costume or Spirit alongside whoever the last fighter may be.

Top Bottom