Alex Kidd: Miracle World Support Thread

Jumpman1985

Smash Rookie

Alex Kidd (アレックス・キッド Arekkusu Kiddo) is a video game character whose popularity peaked during the late 1980s and who was the protagonist of both a series of video games released by Sega and their fictional universe, as well as in numerous spin-off merchandise such as novelizations and comics. For a time he was an unofficial mascot of the Sega Corporation before Sonic the Hedgehog.

Alex Kidd was the protagonist of several video games over the years, spanning various platforms, and appeared in the arcade and on the Sega Master System and the Mega Drive/Genesis home consoles. Alex Kidd's popularity was at a peak with the release of the first game in the series, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, in 1986, which was later built into the Master System console without need of a cartridge and was playable from purchase of the console.

In the mid-to-late 1980s, Alex Kidd overtook the character of "Opa-Opa" from the game Fantasy Zone as the official mascot for Sega. However, Sega wished to have a mascot to rival Nintendo's flagship character Mario, a task which Alex Kidd was not considered up to. In 1991, Sega introduced Sonic the Hedgehog, who became more popular and recognizable than Alex Kidd, and Sonic subsequently replaced Alex Kidd as Sega's mascot. After this, the popularity of the character waned somewhat, although the character has made numerous cameo appearances in later video games, most recently in Sega Superstars Tennis, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

A young martial artist named Alex Kidd one day learns of a villain named Janken the Great who has defeated King Thunder of the city of Radaxian and who has kidnapped his son, Prince Egle (or 'Igul'), and Egle's fiancée Princess Lora. Discovering that he is the lost son of King Thunder, Alex sets out to rescue the kingdom. On his quest, he defeats Janken's henchmen and retrieves various items which lead him toward Janken whom he defeats and sees turned to stone. Alex retrieves the crown, and the people of Radaxian are restored under the newly crowned King Egle.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a 2D platform game. The player must finish levels and overcome obstacles and puzzles in both scrolling and single-screen environments. Throughout the 17 stages, Alex faces many monsters and the three henchmen of Janken the Great, before facing Janken himself.
Alex's punching ability is used to destroy enemies and to break rocks in order to access new paths and to collect items such as money which can then be used to purchase other items including vehicles such as motorbikes and helicopters. At the end of many stages, Alex plays jan-ken-pon (rock, paper, scissors) with one of Janken's henchmen. Alex dies with one hit, or by losing a game of rock, paper, scissors.
The game has no save system, but by holding the directional pad up and pressing the 2 button eight times at the Game Over screen, the player will restart the level with three new lives, at a cost of 400 Baums (the in-game currency).

Some re-releases of the series were released on the Wii's Virtual Console.

Last edited:

JDCabrera

Smash Lord
For anyone interested: Alex Kidd In Miracle World has been available on the Nintendo Switch eShop for a while under the SEGA Classics line of games.

For 6€ I'd say It is a good game to pick. The bosses can be quite tough due to the Rock, Paper, Scissors gimmick but besides that It is a really solid platformer.

And who knows, maybe if many people buy the port we may be able to see some kind of Alex Kidd content added to Smash in the near future (such as Mii costumes or even an Assist trophy).

JDCabrera

Smash Lord
to activate his Final Smash he has to FIND THE MIRACLE BALL!
Alex Kidd's final Smash could unironically be one of the funniest in the series.

Beating the opponent in a rock paper Scissors match and then finishing them with a meteor Smash done by a heavyweight thrown from the sky.

If animated right It would be hilarious to use.

JDCabrera

Smash Lord
Recently I've felt positive about Alex Kidd getting a remake sooner or later.

With SEGA's 60th anniversary currently taking place and the success of the recent Sakura Wars PS4 and Streets Of Rage 4 I feel SEGA will keep reviving some of their series and put the right amount of effort behind them.

JDCabrera

Smash Lord
I honestly never thought I'd see Alex Kidd make a comeback!
I always had hope between the Alex Kidd fan-remake seemingly being approved by SEGA (which turned into the beta for this new game) and the recent tendency SEGA has of reviving series such as Sakura Wars or Streets Of Rage.

Glad I never lost hope!!!!!! ❤️

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I always had hope between the Alex Kidd fan-remake seemingly being approved by SEGA (which turned into the beta for this new game) and the recent tendency SEGA has of reviving series such as Sakura Wars or Streets Of Rage.

Glad I never lost hope!!!!!! ❤️
Now all I really need is Shining Force and I'd be set!

Geno Boost

Smash Champion
How weird.

I was talking about Alex Kidd yesterday.

Anyway I support. I'm actually old enough that I remember when Alex Kidd was Sega's mascot. Miracle World was the first game I ever watched being played by a friend(although I didn't get to play one until Sonic 2).

I've wanted Kidd to get a revival for years but gave up due to the hopelessness of it. Buying the remake/revival as soon as I can.

Instant support!

JDCabrera

Smash Lord
How weird.

I was talking about Alex Kidd yesterday.

Anyway I support. I'm actually old enough that I remember when Alex Kidd was Sega's mascot. Miracle World was the first game I ever watched being played by a friend(although I didn't get to play one until Sonic 2).

I've wanted Kidd to get a revival for years but gave up due to the hopelessness of it. Buying the remake/revival as soon as I can.

Instant support!
I will try my best to buy the Game at launch even if I have to fight my parents over It.

My first Alex Kidd game was quite ironically Enchanted Castle, and I really loved It.

Ben Holt

Smash Champion
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As much as I love the idea of an Alex Kidd remake, I hope they fix the art style for the modern version.
The original is already pixelated; the remade graphics should be a high definition hand drawn style like the Wonder Boy remake.

Top Bottom