• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Hmm...

*waits in anticipation*
Short answer:

Change back to the PR council. A very small, very select group made up of a few of our top smashers that have been to a wide number of tourneys in state and are very unlikely to make biased decisions.

That council then makes a 1-10 list of who they think the PR list should be.

Any person who is on #1 on a list gets 10 points. Any person at number 10 on a list gets 1 point.

Point tallies are totaled and a list is created, the list may exceed 10 people, but the list will only be made to support 10 people.

Any time a decision on placement is unanimous among the panel, then that decision will override any point discrepency.

I'll PM a few people and see if they are willing to partake in such a panel.

Results will be posted on both a point and absolute ranking list. There could be ties for certain places if the panel is split on anything.

nice1

Smash Lord
I know what you mean, I felt it too but slightly differently. After LasT I was like whatever LA tournaments are alright I guess, but it didn't effect my opinion of AL tourneys. I guess I keep them compartmentalized as "the good ones"

All of the singles finals have been encoded, I'll upload them tomorrow. Will_ is getting 4 sets of himself uploaded, no wonder he wanted me to get them up them so bad ;P
the vids u have of me let me see them and i'll let u know whats wats.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Short answer:

Change back to the PR council. A very small, very select group made up of a few of our top smashers that have been to a wide number of tourneys in state and are very unlikely to make biased decisions.

That council then makes a 1-10 list of who they think the PR list should be.

Any person who is on #1 on a list gets 10 points. Any person at number 10 on a list gets 1 point.

Point tallies are totaled and a list is created, the list may exceed 10 people, but the list will only be made to support 10 people.

Any time a decision on placement is unanimous among the panel, then that decision will override any point discrepency.

I'll PM a few people and see if they are willing to partake in such a panel.

Results will be posted on both a point and absolute ranking list. There could be ties for certain places if the panel is split on anything.
Isn't that more-or-less what we were doing in the first place? I'm not quite sure I understand the concept of "the list may exceed 10 people, but the list will only be made to support 10 people."

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Every tourney that I've been to after that huge *** melee one I've helped get matches going. It is incredibly frustrating to have the tourney at a standstill because people play friendlies after matches instead of reporting wins. Yeah, I'd love to play friendlies too, but that can be done after the tourney is over.

That PlayNTrade one would have taken forever if I hadn't kept this policy. But this last TCS tourney ran extremely smoothly with little outside influence, people really wanted to go on to their next tourney match for the most part.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Isn't that more-or-less what we were doing in the first place? I'm not quite sure I understand the concept of "the list may exceed 10 people, but the list will only be made to support 10 people."
More than 10 people can be on the final PR list, but each panelist will make a list assuming that only 10 people will be on the PR at any time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
More than 10 people can be on the final PR list, but each panelist will make a list assuming that only 10 people will be on the PR at any time.
When the points are tallied and the list is made, will the overall points each player earned be listed, too?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Yes, they would. Along with whether a person was a unanimous decision for a position.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yes, they would. Along with whether a person was a unanimous decision for a position.
I personally like this idea. It takes care of the notion of an honorable mention while showing them where they really stand, as well as prevents as much bias as possible, since a person without a lot of AL tournament experience usually doesn't have as accurate an idea of how good everyone is.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think my problem is how to decide the panel. I don't think being on the PR or being really good automatically makes you unbiased. Munkus, you were talking to me about fairness and about how someone can get screwed over in brackets as a reason we shouldn't use tournament results. Well, I think someone can get screwed over in panelists. What if our panel consisted of people who had never played Brown Scourge? That wouldn't be very fair, now would it? I think if us commoners don't get a say in the PR, then we should at least get a say in the panel this time.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I'd also be up for it, I believe.

GET DUNKED ON BY PATRICK CHEWING
arggghhhhh

You guys better be there. I wanna do some kinda of funsies event. Like draft crews or something. I expect to see Reflex, Will_, Kismet, Kalm, Cam, Moogle, DanGR, Duchock, Nice1 (does this guy leave the state anymore?), George, ShaSLAM, and Winnar. ummm how else?

I think my problem is how to decide the panel. I don't think being on the PR or being really good automatically makes you unbiased. Munkus, you were talking to me about fairness and about how someone can get screwed over in brackets as a reason we shouldn't use tournament results. Well, I think someone can get screwed over in panelists. What if our panel consisted of people who had never played Brown Scourge? That wouldn't be very fair, now would it? I think if us commoners don't get a say in the PR, then we should at least get a say in the panel this time.
We cannot let the surfs see such things as Power Rankings or Be on panels! (was thinking about family guy when i saw this) Get back to your Turnips!

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
arggghhhhh

You guys better be there. I wanna do some kinda of funsies event. Like draft crews or something. I expect to see Reflex, Will_, Kismet, Kalm, Cam, Moogle, DanGR, Duchock, Nice1 (does this guy leave the state anymore?), George, ShaSLAM, and Winnar. ummm how else?
Good luck getting that to happen. We can't even get all those guys together at our own tournaments.

Winnar

Smash Lord
It would take me roughly 8 hours of nonstop driving to go to this.

Sorry guys, I'll be skipping this one :p

Edit - Flattered that you'd want me though :D

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
arggghhhhh

I expect to see Kalm!
=(
I wanna go.... *crybaby tantrum*
Okay here is what we'll do, one of you guys up there hook me up with a decent job, and I'll just go up there and live with one of yas. Sounds like a plan eh? Doesn't it? Sounds like a motha ****in kickass plan right!?
*burns down Auburn in preparation*

irl brawl with knives
I would win that tiebreaker. ;)
I'm good about not spamming, but I do know a couple CGs.

Hey look my sig, long time no see *****.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
if there was a panel the panel would have to be made up of some combination of me, george, moogle, and will

because we are literally the only highly respected AL smashers that attend the majority of tournaments in the state and even a few out of state ones

Wine

Smash Cadet
if there was a panel the panel would have to be made up of some combination of me, george, moogle, and will

because we are literally the only highly respected AL smashers that attend the majority of tournaments in the state and even a few out of state ones
don't forget about Hugo

Will_

Smash Journeyman
REFLEX

caps
Luis doesn't attend that many AL tournies so it'd be harder for him to place people on the list. We already know he's the best around and nothing's ever gonna keep him down.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
dude... Hugo...
luckily reflex hasnt played him yet.
otherwise im sure the number 1 spot in AL would change.

sorry reflex. its hugo time.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
seriously.

i mean you MIGHT could make a case for distant planet. its a weird stage for sure, but the hazards don't really ever kill anyone, and you can't really camp anywhere, there's almost nowhere to fight to begin with lol

but green greens? seriously. i'm pretty sure that stage was MADE for camping.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont understand whats different about munkus's idea from what we did the first time

or why that's better than what we did the last time

or why we would have more than ten people on the list. does anyone who gets any votes automatically get number 11, 12 etc.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i like AL smash better than anywhere else ive been.

except mobile scene sucks.

:D

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772

Well if you disagree with who I have on the panel, that's fine. I don't think people will think that there is shenanigans with the people on it.

The point system I use is fairly simple and if you want to go hogwild and add to the PR with whoever's opinion you think is missing then go ahead.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace

Not true. Cheap, Kalm, Winnar, and DanGR have attended several tournaments, although DanGR wasn't at TCS V.

If you make a panel, then make it at least a large panel.

And Munkus, I don't want to go "hogwild" and get everyone's separate PR list. I want to base it off of tournament results, but I am also a little irritated when people appoint themselves as highly respected panelists without getting input from the masses first. I don't think most of us would like to be completely shut out of the process if we are going to do it by opinions.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
It's logistically buggered to get the input of who each person believes should be on the PR panel and how many they even want on it.

It also brings the PR list one step closer to a popularity contest, which is one thing I'm trying to avoid.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
It's logistically buggered to get the input of who each person believes should be on the PR panel and how many they even want on it.

It also brings the PR list one step closer to a popularity contest, which is one thing I'm trying to avoid.
Like I said, I want to base the whole thing off of tournament results, which takes it farther from a popularity contest than even a panel. Yet, no one is liking the idea of basing it off of tournament results. A panel doesn't appoint itself though. What if I said ShaSlam, BrownScourge, Nu, and I were going to be the panel? What makes your claim more legitimate than mine? If we are going to do a panel, then there should at least be some general consensus of who should be on it.

Or if nothing else, let's discuss the placings on this thread, and then let a panel decide. At least that would let a possible panel hear different opinions. When I say discuss, I don't mean everyone should throw out a list. I mean people should chime in on who deserves to be added, thrown off, move up, or move down and give legitimate reasons.

Wine

Smash Cadet
theonejanitor on nu's computer

Not true. Cheap, Kalm, Winnar, and DanGR have attended several tournaments, although DanGR wasn't at TCS V.

If you make a panel, then make it at least a large panel.

And Munkus, I don't want to go "hogwild" and get everyone's separate PR list. I want to base it off of tournament results, but I am also a little irritated when people appoint themselves as highly respected panelists without getting input from the masses first. I don't think most of us would like to be completely shut out of the process if we are going to do it by opinions.
Cheap and Kalm aren't well respected or known throughout the state/region as being good and knowledgeable about the game and its players in the state.
and Winnar isn't from AL, and if we are doing a small panel that would be weird to have one person that's not even from the state.

DanGR would probably qualify but last time he didn't want to make a list, so I dont know if he's going to want to this time.

anyway I like the idea of getting input from lots of people, but I'm definitely not into just "everyone send me a list". last time I was only accepting lists from people who attended lots of our tournaments and people who people knew and respected. i don't mind that, and it worked out last time, esp. when it came to conclusively deciding who the new number 10 was going to be..i dont really know what munkus's problem with it is. if like ihsb sent a list for example, i wouldn't have accepted it because he doesnt come to our tournaments. (even though he's a super cool awesome guy *thumbsup* <_<)

but a a panel of george, will, and moogle and maybe me would work just as well becuase they are all honest, knowledgable, and attend all of our tournaments, and know who's performing well.

If there's going to be a panel, Being good at the game matters to some extent, For one, no one in or out of the state is going to take our list seriously if its decided upon by a bunch of people who barely make it out of pools. that's just the way it is. Secondly people who are better at the game will notice little things that will factor into the rankings, more so than other people. Quite frankly, I more respect and take more seriously a list from George or moogle than I do a list from other less respected players etc.

but more opinions generally decreases the margin for error as long as the people are honest, unbiased, and know what they're talking about.

if we're going to hav ea large panel we should probably wait for another tourney or two to update the list...because i've noticed that people will let the results of one tournament dictate who they put on a list, and that may be how they do it in Georgia, but here we're trying to decide who the best in the state is. Not who got an easy bracket in the latest tournament.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Like I said, I want to base the whole thing off of tournament results, which takes it farther from a popularity contest than even a panel. Yet, no one is liking the idea of basing it off of tournament results. A panel doesn't appoint itself though. What if I said ShaSlam, BrownScourge, Nu, and I were going to be the panel? What makes your claim more legitimate than mine? If we are going to do a panel, then there should at least be some general consensus of who should be on it.

Or if nothing else, let's discuss the placings on this thread, and then let a panel decide. At least that would let a possible panel hear different opinions. When I say discuss, I don't mean everyone should throw out a list. I mean people should chime in on who deserves to be added, thrown off, move up, or move down based on legitimate reasons.
If it will make you happy, we can have a vote on who gets to be in the panel. (although i'm almost absolutely sure that the results would be some combination of George, Will, and moogle)

and PR discussion is a good idea.
So good that I'm making a thread in the social forum in a bit

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Pick 10-15 people that are already on the list, or are candidates for the list, and have them make up the list and mentions. These people have to have attended at least 3/4 of the last AL tournies.
That is about 8 or so people from the list and a good 5 or 6 people outside of the list that we can trust to keep things balanced between biased and accuracy.

Top Bottom