• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
-no one ever
We have tournaments simultaneously in Mobile and Auburn, and now someone is trying to run a tournament concurrently with BIO.

There is no motivation to ever leave the state, because there are tournaments instate every single weekend.

It will be increasingly difficult to get everybody together because tournament attendance is divided, and people get worn out going to a tournament every weekend. Good luck getting anyone to ever travel to Mobile again if Auburn's tournament takes off.

powergamer

Smash Apprentice
Auburn does travel a good amount to Georgia though, but we are only like 2 hours from Atlanta. Wish more of you guys could go, GA has some really good players

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
: ( I haven't used Lucina since the patch. I'm all Corrin now

Thanks for the offer but that won't be necessary. Friendlies start at 6:30 right? Will you guys be there before then?
People are usually there before 6:30. 5-6 is the usual. Tournament at 7:00ish

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
So, just calling someone pretentious for not liking a tourney and calling it ***ty is a pretty ignorant thing to do.
obviously not the only reason behind that but okay. he basically said "why would i go to your ****ty tournament when I KNOW all of ours are better and have better competition." and didnt provide any info as to why thats the case. which is why it comes off as pretentious.

the venue has snacks and drinks to buy. we order pizza for everyone. venue has tons of open space now.

pensacola is better than you all btw so the competition part is laughable. esp when we also have rag and mikey and jared.

doesnt matter how many entrants we have if you wont get top 5 l0l

Last edited:

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
For everyone arguing: stop letting your feelings get involved. It's only making you look worse. Respond to someone but don't throw in those sly insults.

For example I've never been to a mobile tourney. I've been done to Pensacola for Smash4. so when I see two people say that mobile had a small amount of competition for my game and that the venue was ****ty why would I want to make that 5 hour drive? Now you come in to say the place has been upgraded but then you throw in an unneeded insult?

I'll be honest me telling Rag and Mobile to git gud was a mistake. But I use basic insults like that all the time and that's the general nature of this thread. Now I just want everyone to stop all of this Mobile ain't good talk and go back to making fun of Child Star and MasterIcarus

TeezyJetson

Smash Rookie
I dont think we have too many tournaments at all. A high amount of tournaments is good for newcomers like me. I love the fact that there is basically a tournament every weekend. Dreamed of it for a while. The caveat is that to actually go to a tournament every weekend, you would have to go out of state. BB, Bio, HASL, and HP are the standout locals but because they are monthlies, you can choose to, you know, skip a Brawl or a HP to go to a regional tourney or a national or whatever. We arent contracted to attend every Alabama tourney or anything.

Also, I would be more concerned about being top 8 in my state before I start going to regionals or nationals more, personally.

Another thing that was proven outright with BB5 is that these tournaments are helping to grow the scene and increase the competition so even though we have a PR "mess" at the moment, it is going to be even more volatile this year.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Also, I would be more concerned about being top 8 in my state before I start going to regionals or nationals more, personally.
That's a common fresh mentality. You get better by increasing your pool of opponents, which you do by traveling. We don't travel to get good results, we tavel to play more people.

TeezyJetson

Smash Rookie
That's a common fresh mentality. You get better by increasing your pool of opponents, which you do by traveling. We don't travel to get good results, we tavel to play more people.
Thats understandable but that is the next step for me. Its a lot more afforable for me to worry about a monthly in my area than finding a new pool of opponents. Also, why add more gas money and increased entry fees to my investments when I cant beat the opponents right next to me? Lot more frugal to go to a monthly and get your feet wet. There a plently of chances to go out of state in the future for me so I am not trippin nor am I avoiding going out of state. Just taking it one step at a time. I have only been to BB2 and 5 and i got 33rd at BB5 so I see no rush in traveling in the short term except for fun and experience.

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Thats understandable but that is the next step for me. Its a lot more afforable for me to worry about a monthly in my area than finding a new pool of opponents. Also, why add more gas money and increased entry fees to my investments when I cant beat the opponents right next to me? Lot more frugal to go to a monthly and get your feet wet. There a plently of chances to go out of state in the future for me so I am not trippin nor am I avoiding going out of state. Just taking it one step at a time. I have only been to BB2 and 5 and i got 33rd at BB5 so I see no rush in traveling in the short term except for fun and experience.
Traveling out of state is always a great option to improve because you get to play against a wider variety of opponents and generally better people. When you first start playing the game, locals are great because you can play against so many new people. But once you start going to tournaments every weekend and play against the same people every time, then it is time to go out of state when possible

TeezyJetson

Smash Rookie
Traveling out of state is always a great option to improve because you get to play against a wider variety of opponents and generally better people. When you first start playing the game, locals are great because you can play against so many new people. But once you start going to tournaments every weekend and play against the same people every time, then it is time to go out of state when possible
That is what I am saying. I am not disagreeing when it comes to traveling out of state being good for getting better. I was just saying that it isnt an immediate thing that I have to do at the stage I am in developing and I was saying that having a lot of locals doesnt deter me from traveling out of state. I want to push this is far as I can so if I could get good enough to win a national, why not? But realistically, I have a long way to go so I am just focusing on one goal at a time. right now, my goal is to win or place well at local. Then I will be focused on proving myself in other states. I am not opposed to going out of state at the moment or anything.

Keet

Smash Journeyman
Yo Sweaters Sweaters with all this drama I'm thinking a salty suite at Bham Brawl would be actually feasible.

We have tournaments simultaneously in Mobile and Auburn, and now someone is trying to run a tournament concurrently with BIO.

There is no motivation to ever leave the state, because there are tournaments instate every single weekend.

It will be increasingly difficult to get everybody together because tournament attendance is divided, and people get worn out going to a tournament every weekend. Good luck getting anyone to ever travel to Mobile again if Auburn's tournament takes off.
Yo I mentioned this in a certain super secret smash facebook group but I'd like to say it here too.

@Tr4n, @Wundermittens, and myself are hosting the tournament on the 5th along with any other volunteers we can find.

Although it is becoming increasingly difficult with the amount of tournaments in Alabama, we will do everything in our power to make sure that tournament clashes like this do not happen again in the future.

The tournament coming up on March 5th was realistically decided upon because the rooms at UAB are notoriously difficult to book and we had to either decide to hold our tournament that weekend or wait another month and a half to introduce the scene to UAB. We hate that this was the only weekend available for us, and definitely do not want to compete with other tournaments. We encourage anyone who was planning on going to BIO that weekend to please go. This tournament is more of a way to introduce the smash scene to UAB officially/gauge the amount of competitive players UAB has to offer.

Our main goal is to help the smash scene grow, and we know that splitting up tournaments like this is not conducive to that goal, so we will make it our top priority in the future to avoid clashing dates like this. We are sorry BIO <3

Dron

Smash Apprentice
tournament over-saturation is a very real thing when people in intermediate areas have to make the decision of which AL tournament they want to go to on a certain weekend

having 5+ hubs in AL that all want their own monthlies is a problem if the TOs of those hubs actually expect people from other cities to come to their tournaments

at this point it's just important for everyone to realize that the "monthly" tournament format is one that should no longer aim to achieve state-wide (or even just non-local) talent

Last edited:

Keet

Smash Journeyman
tournament over-saturation is a very real thing when people in intermediate areas have to make the decision of which AL tournament they want to go to on a certain weekend

having 5+ hubs in AL that all want their own monthlies is a problem if the TOs of those hubs actually expect people from other cities to come to their tournaments

at this point it's just important for everyone to realize that the "monthly" tournament format is one that should no longer aim to achieve state-wide (or even just non-local) talent
I totally agree, which is why I stated that this is not something we aim to have happen ever again. We booked the date, later found out that BIO was potentially the same weekend, and just decided to roll with it. It may have been a poor decision in retrospect, but it is not one we plan on repeating. Ideally we would split the month up so that HASL, Bham Brawl, BIO, and potentially this series would get a weekend.

And I know that's two tournaments in Birmingham, but the way the last Birmingham Brawl looked, Birmingham has a pretty strong scene that's growing pretty quickly.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
And I know that's two tournaments in Birmingham, but the way the last Birmingham Brawl looked, Birmingham has a pretty strong scene that's growing pretty quickly.
That was mostly out of city people. We just like Justin.

Doc_Pickle

Smash Apprentice
In retrospect, you guys probably should have waited a month. Having both on the same weekend is really bad for both tournaments.

powergamer

Smash Apprentice

This is part of the reason why Auburn has always done just a big semesterly tournament rather than a monthly because like you said there is just too much stuff to go to every single weekend. With that said, I am helping with our coming monthly but I'm not the person in charge of it nor was it really my idea. Personally, I enjoy running tournaments but right now I think our monthly is largely unneeded in our current state.

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
This is part of the reason why Auburn has always done just a big semesterly tournament rather than a monthly because like you said there is just too much stuff to go to every single weekend. With that said, I am helping with our coming monthly but I'm not the person in charge of it nor was it really my idea. Personally, I enjoy running tournaments but right now I think our monthly is largely unneeded in our current state.
It'll be fine when summer comes around cause then it will just be me, hasl, and hp but it's a bit rough right now.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I think that having Tournies on the same day won't be bad if it's something like Huntsville/Mobile. That'll cut down on travel for people who are super far away from Huntsville and wouldn't want to go there anyways.

I'm not trying to throw shade here. It's like the best example. The drive is too long. It's like Tuscaloosa/Atl. If Tuscaloosa is closer I'm going there if I'm low on money even though the Atl tourney would be better

Dron

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree, which is why I stated that this is not something we aim to have happen ever again. We booked the date, later found out that BIO was potentially the same weekend, and just decided to roll with it. It may have been a poor decision in retrospect, but it is not one we plan on repeating. Ideally we would split the month up so that HASL, Bham Brawl, BIO, and potentially this series would get a weekend.

yeah it sounds like you're aware of the fact that your tournament may not garner much attention from outsiders, and this is knowledge that matters a lot imo

i'd also like to mention that divvying up weekends for monthlies is basically fruitless at this point, as we now have:

mobile
huntsville
tuscaloosa
auburn
birmingham
birmingham again?*
maybe troy in the future?
maybe montgomery in the future?

aka there's the potential for way too much **** to be going on all the time for anything truly substantive and communitively cohesive to be going on

* Keet Keet what scope are you looking at for you guys' tournaments? since birmingham brawl has already accrued attention as a monthly, it would seem that the best route for you guys to take would be to create smaller weeklies/biweeklies designated for local play. what your decision ends up being is up to you, but this is what seems logical

Dron

Smash Apprentice
I think that having Tournies on the same day won't be bad if it's something like Huntsville/Mobile. That'll cut down on travel for people who are super far away from Huntsville and wouldn't want to go there anyways.

I'm not trying to throw shade here. It's like the best example. The drive is too long. It's like Tuscaloosa/Atl. If Tuscaloosa is closer I'm going there if I'm low on money even though the Atl tourney would be better
i agree in that huntsville/mobile overlapping is by far the most logical exception to the "don't overlap tournament weekends" rule i can think of

Top Bottom