• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
You can't really utilize his speed and exact spacing on Wi-Fi, but is the case with most characters. Everyone just says that Marth is one of the people who suffers most on it. :/ Though I still learned everything I knew about the character from it.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
wifi is good if you play someone that knows how to play but most people just expose spotdodges with the slow reaction time that button input lag creates. people are SOOOO good at spotdodging its ridiculous. they just jump right into you into like 4 spotdodges and then grab. its totally not permissable offline. :(

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
i never gave much thought to that MU before. i guess marth could really punish falco's ground game though so i could see it being hard. is that a big issue in that MU? but t1j i seen your marth you should use him more when its advantageous to do so. marth is a kind of character imo thats like DDD. even if you just have a semi-decent, basic marth, its still gonna be tournament viable at it's worst. it could pick you up some wins against characters that have a hard time vs. him.

if anyone wonders why alll my posts are always edits, i always have several typos. i type with only my two index fingers. anyone else here not know how to type? :)
It's a dumb MU all around. Falco basically tries to keep distance so he can keep shooting. Ftilts, Jabs (do not use AAA and do not try and be cute and grab or tilt out of it very often because you will eat a Dolphin Slash), even reflector. Spam spot dodge. Marth has no real long lasting hitboxes, you can actually spot dodge repeatedly to dodge dancing blade, although there's no reason not to shield it. Phantasm or roll away when you can because you want to create space. Get him to kill percents and land the USmash, DSmash, Bair, or sneaky, sneaky Uair.

You probably don't want to challenge his recovery, but I'm dumb and do it anyway. I swear to God it's possible.

You want to avoid getting grabbed at 0% as he has a 40 damage CG that leaves you offstage because it ends in tipper FSmash or he has fthrow->fthrow->dair which is a stock.

You have a lot of trouble landing in this MU too. He's very good at juggling you and trapping your landing. He's also very good at punishing your recovery. Getting back to the stage can make you feel like your Snake because you suddenly took 60% before getting your feet under you.

Do not recover low if at all possible. If you have to UpB, that generally means you've lost your stock.

Anyway, it's not horrendous, it's close to even, but it's certainly not fun for either party. Unless you're a sadist like me.

Speaking of which, Spade, $5MM at AUSOM?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
to some extent i'm benefitting from wifi scrubnubs because I think identifying and learning how to overcome ******** gimmicks is a skill that I'm going to have to learn, even offline. In all honestly, my guess is that is the key to graduating beyond "low level" play. that and controlling bad habits.

wifi is good also to teach yourself not to john. this is only a recent development for me, but i no longer say "i should have won." when I lose. There are times where clearly factors outside of me sucking are at play, such as stages and other things, but I take it all in and try to be objective. and it helps.

Like I used to think that MK and Wolf were just auto-win against me on wifi, just because the characters moves are too good in lag. I'd just be like, all he's doing is dodging and spamming **** blah blah, i'd win offline. but i took a step back and now tbh I have no idea what i was talking about back then. i sort of wreck scrubby MKs on wifi now, and I can't remember the last time I've lost to a Wolf.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah mentalities play a really big roll in brawl and honestly it doesnt matter if it lags or not, you can still discipline yourself to "learn" and not become so focused on winning, and other things like that.

for example, i use to enter wifi tournaments just so i could get the feel to playing tournaments and kind of teach myself to do as well in tournys as i do in friendlies and not let the pressure get to me as much.
key word is "use to" though. i stopped doing it and now i honestly feel like i choke alot in tourney and do not play to my fullest. it sucks cuz ill go and get elminated from irl tournies then go and play friendlies and feel a thousand more times more comfortable and do better after my elimination. learning to develop a good mentality over wifi helped me to maintain that mentality irl.

its definately good for developing the right kind of mentalities that good players have and that are actually the right way to approach certain things. i think honestly that in itself is wifi's best thing it has to offer and i need to do more stuff like that. its also very easy to rage over wifi and i feel like it carried over to irl tournies and is also affecting how i play. i need to work on all of that kind of stuff to get back to where i use to be.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh and catcher in the ryerye, thanks for that MU explanation of Falco v Marth. i dont really see alot of it tho cuz i dont play either character but i kinda "get" the lameness of it now moreso than before. i can see how marth would shut down your recovery pretty decently also.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Just about every character can kill Falco's recovery, it's not that big of a deal even though him being better than most is still a point. Falco remains centered around not losing combat because, unless your name is Snake or some random mid/low tier, you probably get hurt less by having to recover. But that works because Falco's really good at hitting people.

Aloha

Smash Cadet
is anyone picking up skull girls
what? really? man skullgirls that **** is god-like my dude! the totorials are great learning hit confirms are great basically if you never touched a fighter you could be tourny worthy in 2 weeks bra no lie! Sk g is fye! i main the girl with the crazy hair all day

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
>Skullgirls
>Girl with crazy hair.

You specified nothing.

Also, you certainly can't be tournament ready in two weeks if you've never touched a fighter before. You'd get bodied.

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
I picked the right day to come back to this thread, hahaha.

What about P4U? Anyone here picking it up?
Kuma has that bat like my boy Lucas and items like my man Faust. I'm in there

「何が出るクマ?」

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Yo, watch out for Ms. Fortune. Frame traps, and block strings, mixups, and loops with the severed head all day. I feel like grab mixups are super strong--like I'll get grabbed out of what I feel like is block stun. Maybe I just need to learn the moves.

I think I finally saw something in P4U the other day that looked interesting. It looks super complicated.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I picked the right day to come back to this thread, hahaha.

What about P4U? Anyone here picking it up?
Kuma has that bat like my boy Lucas and items like my man Faust. I'm in there

「何が出るクマ?」
Calvin's been showing me that game. It looks neat. Kuma looks pretty awesome.

Aloha

Smash Cadet
>Skullgirls
>Girl with crazy hair.

You specified nothing.

Also, you certainly can't be tournament ready in two weeks if you've never touched a fighter before. You'd get bodied lmao ryker i forgot you know everything ol wise one!

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
holding my tongue soooo hard right now :( be a better person, austin, be a bettter person and dont make everyone hate you..

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some people just "get" certain things faster than others. A background in other fighters makes it much easier for most people. Priorities can keep some people from practicing or thinking about games as much as they might otherwise.

If a person had the right resources and a lot of free time, it would be pretty easy to be tournament-viable in two weeks for most games, especially if the game in question is new and has a metagame that isn't really developed.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Getting P4U and Skullgirls just so a few of my League friends can be happy.

Still wishing I bought KoF instead of BB though :(

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Some people just "get" certain things faster than others. A background in other fighters makes it much easier for most people. Priorities can keep some people from practicing or thinking about games as much as they might otherwise.

If a person had the right resources and a lot of free time, it would be pretty easy to be tournament-viable in two weeks for most games, especially if the game in question is new and has a metagame that isn't really developed.
Assuming that you have no background in fighters and anything resembling a life, two weeks isn't enough time. Especially if you don't have a friend working with you to teach you basic fighting game concepts.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Assuming that you have no background in fighters and anything resembling a life, two weeks isn't enough time. Especially if you don't have a friend working with you to teach you basic fighting game concepts.
I disagree. A person in high school off for the summer has enough time to make it work. Also, the internet and online play are wonderful for figuring out concepts. "The right resources" also implies a friend who knows what he's doing.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Sooo I got SkullGirls. If anyone from swf wants to add and play me sometime I wouldn't mind it at all.

Tag: ForeverSaki

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of which, Spade, $5MM at AUSOM?
Hm...I MIGHT have to say yes to that offer. It depends heavily on what my money situation looks like here in a couple of weeks (got a job, owe people money still, long story).

I can at least do a salty $1 MM if you're up for it.

Aloha

Smash Cadet

let the church say amen

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
janitor picked up pit in two weeks and won some matches.

-anything can be done by anybody :)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
thats just cuz i know how to play smash though, and when watching videos I understand what I'm seeing. and also because characters in smash are way more similar to each other than characters in other games

i'm hesitant to think a person could be tournament ready in two weeks if they've never picked up a fighter. Unless they legit find a 50 page guide on "how to play fighters" on the internet or something and also are some kind of genius. there's so many things that you just 'know' already whenever a new game comes out just because you've been playing fighting games for so long. you know what you're looking for. mid screen combos, corner combos, otgs, blockstrings, overheads, reversals, counter hits, anti-airs, mixups, throw set ups, super armor,, karas, cancels, links, hit confirms, option selects.
i can't imagine that a person who has literally never played a fighting game would even know where to begin

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Ehhhhhh, I dunno about that.

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, Morrigan, Captain America, Jin Kisaragi, Heart Aino, etc.
well yeah, to some extent, but that's only a small selection of characters.

ALL smash characters are slightly derivative of each other. with few exceptions. d-smashes always hit both sides. nairs always hit both sides and autocancel. uptilts always juggle/combo, f-smashes always kill. B is a projectile. etc.

as i said I understand that there are exceptions, but I think smash is way more homogenized than most fighters.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The biggest issue I have is just how different the properties are for the characters in smash. There's no general system options because every characters fallspeed, shield, roll, spot dodge, trip, item throw, ledge animations, etc are all different.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
well yeah, to some extent, but that's only a small selection of characters.

ALL smash characters are slightly derivative of each other. with few exceptions. d-smashes always hit both sides. nairs always hit both sides and autocancel. uptilts always juggle/combo, f-smashes always kill. B is a projectile. etc.

as i said I understand that there are exceptions, but I think smash is way more homogenized than most fighters.
I think that's more of a 64/Melee thing. Things changed significantly in Brawl, partly because they eliminated clones from Melee.

Top Bottom