• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
So I watched A Serbian Film. Although the movie is absolutely crazy, it didn't really bother me too much. It seemed like Hostel on steroids. They depict some off the wall atrocious acts, but the reason We Need to Talk about Kevin and Requiem For a Dream give me an uncomfortable feeling is because both (imo) are very believable. When I watch a movie, I sometimes approach certain genres like a sceptic (this is a movie, what they are showing is for entertainment), however, when a movie is able to really grab my attention with a concept that feels real, I just like it more I guess. As for Scarface~ the movie is overrated. That's not to say its a bad movie, but it get's over hyped by rappers and other ppl saying it's the greatest movie of all time. I personally really like watching it, because I remember being 12/13 and my dad telling me about it, so I have fond memories of my dad saying cockroaches in the Tony Montana voice lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz5E0SQ9dGQ&feature=related

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i have sort of a weak stomach when it comes to films. I like stuff that deals with uncomfortable subjects but when it comes to movies that actually depict gross and graphic acts I can't deal with it lol i dont even like typical gore-fest movies like the Saw moves, or the Final Destination ,movies, much less a film that depicts incest **** <_<

can you not upsmash out of shield with tap jump off?

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
i have sort of a weak stomach when it comes to films. I like stuff that deals with uncomfortable subjects but when it comes to movies that actually depict gross and graphic acts I can't deal with it lol i dont even like typical gore-fest movies like the Saw moves, or the Final Destination ,movies, much less a film that depicts incest **** <_<

can you not upsmash out of shield with tap jump off?
you can. While holding L (shield), simultaneously push up on your stick (movement stick not c-stick) and with your right thumb slide from y (to jump) and then hit A.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
so basically wifi sessions for me last about as long as until i get into a match where I get pissed off. today it was the first match

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've been playing some Mario Kart 7. I don't understand why some players are arbitrarily faster than me when I'm using the fastest combination in the game.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i usually like wifi until i play someone good on wifi then im like "wtf is this ****"

and i like Tink alot. im gonna be messing around with him from now on.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I've been playing some Mario Kart 7. I don't understand why some players are arbitrarily faster than me when I'm using the fastest combination in the game.
Maybe it's like Diddy Kong Racing where you have to mash gas rapidly? Weird. I haven't picked it up yet, but I think it looks good.

Good games, Kevin. Samus still needs work. :( Also, why is there a lack of a hitbox on Samus' forward smash directly in front of her? It's like part of her arm doesn't hit. Just dumb.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah i know. for a while I was practicing with her in case someone put together a low tier tournament, but i just could never get into a groove. I can't even beat the computer consistently with her lol. I've seen good samuses tho so I dunno

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
maybe i should stop playign ladder matches online and just do friendlies. they're way more fun and I don't get pissed off at wifi lol yet i still learn stuff

EDIT: ****ttttt. i just remember i have to go to a wedding on saturday. i can't go to resist. JEEEEZ

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Maybe it's like Diddy Kong Racing where you have to mash gas rapidly? Weird. I haven't picked it up yet, but I think it looks good.

Good games, Kevin. Samus still needs work. :( Also, why is there a lack of a hitbox on Samus' forward smash directly in front of her? It's like part of her arm doesn't hit. Just dumb.
It is fun, yeah. There is no Drift stat, and the first level of powerslide boost makes a very small difference, so snaking is a non-issue. Good courses, good netcode, good variety. The Weight stat affects people very little unless there's an enormous difference between the two people colliding or one character isn't moving, which is a shame, since I use heavy characters, but, at least it doesn't appear to lose its effect online, unlike the DS version.

Blue shells are slightly less annoying, because there is a (small) chance to get a Mushroom in 1st place now. Red shells will follow over 100-foot gaps and take absolutely no thought to use now, but they're pretty slow and allow people to easily prepare for them.

Also, if you need any more reason to buy it, SNES Rainbow Road is a track in this game. I was so happy when I unlocked it.

About half of Vega's claw is missing a hitbox for basically all of his punches. : |

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I wanted to get everyone's opinions on a couple of things. I don't thing the ASL council will be too upset for me asking this publicly.

Do you prefer to have 5 or 6 tournaments for season 2?

We have a month off between each season. We can fill that time with either an extra tournament or a large smashfest at one of the venues. A tournament would most likely have standard entry fees and prize pools (as in, not ASL ones). The smashfest would be free obviously. Which do you all prefer?

EDIT: Or maybe we could do some sort of crew battle tournament? Who knows?

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I wanted to get everyone's opinions on a couple of things. I don't thing the ASL council will be too upset for me asking this publicly.

Do you prefer to have 5 or 6 tournaments for season 2?

We have a month off between each season. We can fill that time with either an extra tournament or a large smashfest at one of the venues. A tournament would most likely have standard entry fees and prize pools (as in, not ASL ones). The smashfest would be free obviously. Which do you all prefer?

EDIT: Or maybe we could do some sort of crew battle tournament? Who knows?
A crew battle sounds awesome. :D
But I'd be down for anything. I just need to get money first. xD
The main problem will be over the summer, because my job will be in season then. I'll have to either find a really good excuse or I won't be able to go to tournaments until like September.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i almost never do aeriels OoS with any character and I know thats one thing i need to change. I don't really know how to fight rob with any character either, he's a character thats good at making you think you can do something when you can't. thats like a major thing in this game that has always hindred me. things don't make sense lol especially with good characters. Like I have to tell myself 'stop doing what makes sense and just do what you know works" but its hard sometimes lol like 'HIS HITBOX IS RIGHT THERE WHY CANT I GRAB IT GRR'

i feel like Pit's aerial game is overrated, but im probably just doing it wrong. fair and bair both come out slowly and you can see them coming from a mile away, iono. up-b mindgames seems to work alot and I dont even really understand why but its hard to get in on rob even aerially because his fair is so quick.

thanks for the tips tho...and why is everyone like "i posted too much" is there some rule against posting too much useful information in this thread ? lol
yeah, i for one, would love it if every post was like michales and elev8's posts when they post tips.

anyways kev, dude, you gotta adapt man. youre saying youre bad at brawl because it has weird hitboxes and nothing makes sense which is true lol, but what youre doing is detremental to you developing as a brawl player.
its like if you were to find out that a character has a chaingrab on your character but youre were like "lol that's dumb i had no idea that this could happen so im just gonna pretend like it doesnt happen because i dont agree with it." so you put forth no effort into avoiding getting grabbed and BAM youre 3 stocked.
that's basically what youre doing with brawl if the fact that it has weird hitboxes is holding you back.
you gotta learn what works and what doesnt and it could be hard to just let it be but you gotta. i see you, alot of times, going back to old habbits and old things instead of incorporating new ones that you see into your game because you just kind of block them out and be like "lol wtf" maybe you think you'll just never see it again or something cuz it was just a random weird hitbox idk but dude... brawl is weird as ****...
you gotta stop blocking **** out and accept it to be the reality of the game and what WILL happen every time.

i know exactly where youre coming from when you say "it just doesnt make sense" like witht he hitboxes and stuff. like its so weird, but you gotta get to a point where its not weird anymore and its normal and when someone doesnt understand why you are doing what you are doing itll just be like "lolscrub"

sorry for the late reply but i meant to type this earlier cuz i know what you mean but i feel like you just gotta give it up and adapt to be a better player and ****.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the problem is some things do make sense, so its easy to get them confused. i've said it before but there are no over arching rules of thumb in this game, unlike other games... everything is completely isolated and thats why i believe knowledge of the game is the most important thing to have.

AND thats why i appreciate detailed matchup breakdowns. they help me more than anything.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
what do you mean by everything is isolated?

id like to say there is a general rule of thumb for everything. its just like you wouldnt expect some people to understand this game as much as they do. but idk. not there yet. so i have no say in that kind of stuff. im just like a semi above average online player. forreal like quote thats exactly what i am
"decently above average online player" emphasis on "decent" meaning not near pro level and not knowing how to appraoch it yet but one "decent" step above average like its not even a very good step.

and throw online into that mix, stir, and you have your going on 3 or 4 year smash athlete shaslam.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i mean like, for example in a game like street fighter, an overhead attack will always hit a crouching opponent. it doesn't matter what stage, what character, what frame it hits on, how much damage they've taken, it will ALWAYS hit. there's nothing in smash like that, everything is dependent on its own isolated situation. Like if you say, Move A always works on Character B at C percent. That's an isolated incident, not so much a rule of thumb. and it SEEMS to me at least that learning all those isolated 'rules' are what makes you good at this game.
like if you dthrow charizard with Snake you can shield and on-reaction punish almost if not anything he does. that's not a rule about dthrows thats just a random bit of game knowledge that helps me in an isolated matchup in the game. I just need to learn all those tidbits for every matchup lol

cmin

Smash Ace
Hello Alabama, I am an Oregon player and I'm stuck here in muscle shoals Alabama for a few weeks. If anyone is in or near this area and wants to Play plz let me know. :)
Oh forgot to mention melee only please thx
:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i mean like, for example in a game like street fighter, an overhead attack will always hit a crouching opponent. it doesn't matter what stage, what character, what frame it hits on, how much damage they've taken, it will ALWAYS hit.
I still don't understand how that isn't the same as, "When you grab a shielding opponent, it will always hit." That's just a very basic part of the game that can be applied universally. However, as an example, throwing an opponent backward as Vega means that if I do a jump-in Medium Punch, it will create a safe situation for me that I can capitalize on, except for characters with faster-than-frame-4 reversals, like most Shoryukens. Even if characters don't have a reversal like that, I don't get guaranteed damage, and I have to know what characters' backdashes I can punish, what characters can harass me with frame-3 pokes during my blockstrings, etc. It's these little matchup tidbits that make a world of a difference in Street Fighter, and probably any other fighter outside of, like, UMK3.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Hello Alabama, I am an Oregon player and I'm stuck here in muscle shoals Alabama for a few weeks. If anyone is in or near this area and wants to Play plz let me know. :)
Oh forgot to mention melee only please thx
Welcome cmin. I believe the Melee crew in Huntsville still meets once a week. That's a little over an hour away from Muscle Shoals.

cmin

Smash Ace
Welcome cmin. I believe the Melee crew in Huntsville still meets once a week. That's a little over an hour away from Muscle Shoals.
Thanks cam, yeah I actually landed in Huntsville. And drove to muscle shoals. Unfortunately I didnt drive so I wouldn't be able to go anywhere :( any muscle shoalians lol?

I lied. I get a car after all. Cam, so you know how I can get a hold Of Huntsville melee?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I still don't understand how that isn't the same as, "When you grab a shielding opponent, it will always hit." That's just a very basic part of the game that can be applied universally. However, as an example, throwing an opponent backward as Vega means that if I do a jump-in Medium Punch, it will create a safe situation for me that I can capitalize on, except for characters with faster-than-frame-4 reversals, like most Shoryukens. Even if characters don't have a reversal like that, I don't get guaranteed damage, and I have to know what characters' backdashes I can punish, what characters can harass me with frame-3 pokes during my blockstrings, etc. It's these little matchup tidbits that make a world of a difference in Street Fighter, and probably any other fighter outside of, like, UMK3.
to clarify. In Brawl I don't believe I can safely say, "if i predict the opponent is going to shield, I can safely grab" in ALL situations where you are in range to do so. it depends on why their shielding, where you are, how fast your grab is, and how fast their defensive/counter options are. that's my point about this game. there are situations where I get punished by trying to follow ANY kind of rules like that in brawl, no matter how basic.
Im no fighter expert, but I can't think of a situation in SF4 where the phrase, "if I predict that the opponent will crouching block, I can land an overhead" is not true. and even if there are such situations, they are very few.
i'm not arguing right now that this makes brawl a worse game, i'm just saying i think its different

i dont mean to say that other games don't have isolated matchup tidbits, or that brawl doesn't require any kind of cleverness. but i still think a much huger emphasis is placed on specific, isolated game and matchup knowledge in brawl (and smash in general) than most other games

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i just think that you dont play other fighting games or know as much about other fighting games or delve deep enough into other fighting game communities or get as much feedback or go to as many of their tournaments as you do smash.

but from what ive seen (my friend that plays MVC3 just placed top three at the last UMVC tourney) fighting game **** is pretty much the same as smash ****. like the differences are few and far between. even the mindset you gotta be in and the pysche of the whole thing is the same.

idk dude i think you just know the nitty gritty about smash and you think all these other games are just perfect games that are completely fair and give the rewards to the more "clever" player or "smarter" person, when thats not completely true at all. actually its quite the opposite.

i think the grass just looks greener on the other side dude haha

either that or on different fighting games youre just fighting online, mid level players, who make the game seems kind of easy and you are able to fully grasp everything that's going on, making you feel like it is a more balanced game. and youre judging the game from that alone. whereas you know that that is not the end of the road for smash, you may feel like it is for other fighting games.

edit: and i agree with reflex. game knowledge = game knowledge. whether it be situational or basic i dont think brawl has more of one over the other than any other game does. its all just how much you know. like in MVC my friend uses sentinal but isac or w/e uses sentinal too but he can infinit people when he pulls out deadpool but only during a certain situation. he uses this to his advantage and my firned doesnt. you see the same stuff happen in smash all the time. it really is the same **** we're talking about here, although the difference is that i am pressed to find a better example because i know next to nothing about UMVC3.

. if you think other games dont require as much situational knowledge and MU knowledge as smash does then i guess smash is just a deeper game than them because all games require all the types of game knowledge that you mention. its like all the same thing. at a competitve level, small tidbits of information become rule of thumb.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its not really about which game is better (at least thats not what i'm saying right now). they are just completely different.
I watched cross counter tv's hour long Ryu tutorial with Air, one of the best Ryus.
There was VERY little (as in, they devoted like maybe 5 minutes near the end to it) information about specific character matchups, in an HOUR long tutorial.

Imagine a brawl tutorial that didn't teach you anything about character matchups. It would be kind of useless. Thats the whole metagame. It's clearly a whole different philosophy.

mvc3 is even more different than brawl than SF is. that game is mostly about simple rock paper scissor mixups with huge payoffs, that's nothing like smash

its definitely harder to get good (relatively) at brawl than any of these games, i dont know if I would say that makes it 'deeper'. Maybe superficially so. just 'harder'. but again i'm not trying to pit any games against each other. the difference between typical 2d fighters and smash seems obvious to me, such that I didnt really expect there to be a debate about it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
ANYWAY, my point in this is that I am beginning to think that the best way for me to get better at Brawl is to learn each matchup one at a time. Instead of trying to learn any kind of generally applicable strategies. Like a few pages back reflex said something like, 'with snake, pivot grab more. and intelligently mix up ftilt and dash attack/dacus'. that's cool, but I don't think that kind of advice works, for me at least. I'm going to try to learn what I can do in each situation against each character.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
i think you could get good at any of those games so long as you put the time into them. like a person playing brawl with a bunch of really good people 5+ hours a day will excel faster than a person that plays with decent people once a month.

but uh, in terms of which is easier to get better at, i think its more of how long you take to find a character you're comfortable with, learn their matchups and whatever situational set ups they have, and get good with them. to me brawl is so much more situational than most other fighters. outside of some chaingrabs brawl doesn't seem to have that many almost always guaranteed setups(i.e damaging combos)

(i probably have no idea wtf im talking about -.-, sometimes playing a bunch of elsword pvp feels like brawl sometimes)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
to clarify. In Brawl I don't believe I can safely say, "if i predict the opponent is going to shield, I can safely grab" in ALL situations where you are in range to do so. it depends on why their shielding, where you are, how fast your grab is, and how fast their defensive/counter options are. that's my point about this game. there are situations where I get punished by trying to follow ANY kind of rules like that in brawl, no matter how basic.
Im no fighter expert, but I can't think of a situation in SF4 where the phrase, "if I predict that the opponent will crouching block, I can land an overhead" is not true. and even if there are such situations, they are very few.
i'm not arguing right now that this makes brawl a worse game, i'm just saying i think its different

i dont mean to say that other games don't have isolated matchup tidbits, or that brawl doesn't require any kind of cleverness. but i still think a much huger emphasis is placed on specific, isolated game and matchup knowledge in brawl (and smash in general) than most other games
If Street Fighter 4, meter management is really important. Almost all overheads in Street Fighter are slow enough to react to if you're not looking for much else, and using EX safe move or FADC to cover yourself from anything often means that crouch-blocking when you have a decent lead is really, really powerful. Landing an overhead usually gives a very small reward (low damage, little to no combo/pressure opportunity), so you need to read well in order to use them at the right time.

Regardless, landing an overhead on a crouching opponent in Street Fighter is pretty much the same as, say, landing a grab on a standing opponent in Smash, except that the spotdodge is broken (which is pretty much my problem with Brawl in the first place). Most grabs don't get much more than the damage the throw is worth, they're rather slow for close range options, and they don't have much range in the first place. You have to mindgame the opponent into not avoiding or spotdodging in order to land a grab. Again, matchup stuff is very important in any game, since some of your character's best tactics might not work against someone with better pokes or a better pressure game. Pretty much everything is matchup-specific knowledge, but it's not like you have to memorize an encyclopedia for each character, and many characters can be lumped into specific groups (these characters have bad aerial games, these characters have an obnoxious projectile, etc.).

Learning about Street Fighter has confirmed this concept for me. I used to assume that Vega's supposedly-superior poking game would be easy to implement, but it's not. I have to know each character's blockstrings, what options are safe and unsafe against those and various special moves, and what is the optimal range to sit around in order to outpoke people. It's really a lot of feeling out the opponent and hitting them on startup a bunch. Matchup advice has helped me more than anything else so far.

ANYWAY, my point in this is that I am beginning to think that the best way for me to get better at Brawl is to learn each matchup one at a time. Instead of trying to learn any kind of generally applicable strategies. Like a few pages back reflex said something like, 'with snake, pivot grab more. and intelligently mix up ftilt and dash attack/dacus'. that's cool, but I don't think that kind of advice works, for me at least. I'm going to try to learn what I can do in each situation against each character.
The reason I can give that advice is because Snake's moves are fundamentally ********. Advice like the stuff I said to do against Falco will help more against Falco, but your performance can only improve by pivot grabbing more often and and mixing up F-Tilt for damage and Dash Attack/DACUS for defensive purposes. The generic advice is just stuff you should apply without any real thought. It's the matchup-specific stuff that will get you through players in the end, though those basics certainly help your chances against anyone.

Top Bottom