• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You mean "Arthur, Arthur, Arthur."

phoenix is over rated and I predict her usage will dwindle as the game evolves

early snapback, and theres a very high chance that phoenix is dead

also since dark phoenix players immediately get aggro and spammy 90% of the time, you can catch them with a full screen super or beam spam half the time, which can get you 100% or very close.
Bad Phoenixes don't have a real bearing on whether a character is overrated.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
in brawl when you get hit your character flashes briefly, is this just the "you got hit" indicator, or does it refer to something else, like perhaps, the time during which you can SDI (i dont think it's that because it also happens during throws)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
in brawl when you get hit your character flashes briefly, is this just the "you got hit" indicator, or does it refer to something else, like perhaps, the time during which you can SDI (i dont think it's that because it also happens during throws)
To the best of my knowledge, it's "you got hit." I don't think it varies for how much damage, knockback, etc. is dealt, so that seems to be the most reasonable thing. Also, Marth's tipper F-Smash cannot be SDI'd, so it shouldn't flash during that if it's supposed to be an "SDI indicator."

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i skateboarded for the entire four years of my highschool career and never got any good.

reminds me of melee.

i'm just bad at stuff, i guess.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Why do I play LoL. I hate every person on there. No one tries to encourage you. Its all stfu nub uninstall the game. Just cause youre gona be with the person for 30 minutes doesnt mean you have to be an ***

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm pretty dependent on the other people going to a tournament, and I imagine they'd rather go to Daphne. I don't really mind either way, though.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Why do I play LoL. I hate every person on there. No one tries to encourage you. Its all stfu nub uninstall the game. Just cause youre gona be with the person for 30 minutes doesnt mean you have to be an ***
It's the culture surrounding these types of games. They're heavily determined by "skill", which is basically situational knowledge, and an imbalance between player ability is quickly seen since individual action and their subsequent cause and effects can be easily seen by teammates. And with few players, a lot of weight is put on the individual to ensure the team's success. However these people don't see the team, they only see themselves (and their hero).

You doing poorly is just making a tougher fight for them (enemy heroes get better items, advantages, pushes, etc). Therefore, teammates doing good is the default, allowing the perception of the non-team player's self to perform however bad or well on their own be the only thing that's important, rather than the performance of the team as a whole. Combine that with not being able to choose your teammates (which is 99% of the games you probably play), and thusly their skill, then the person yelling at you feels like they've been unfairly handed a negative handicap because of you, making it harder for them to win (and inevitably causing them to indeed not win), and they take it out on you rather than how the system is set up.

The way they're designed gives very little room for slackers. It's a very fine balance, but balance isn't what LoL and HoN and games like that are going for.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Yeah you might be bad at it T1J. Like I'm not a bad player but I stop giving a **** when my teammates don't want to have fun at all. Like I die one time at the start and I get you suck guy I don't want to team with that person anymore even if I turn around and go like 9/5/10 in the game I played the match just because I started it.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
I just bought a skateboard. Who wants to get good with me?
ill skate with you ive been wanting to start skating again haha.

i skateboarded for the entire four years of my highschool career and never got any good.

reminds me of melee.

i'm just bad at stuff, i guess.
yeah i skated for my junior high life and the first two years of high school. all the kids at the skatepark were elitist pricks (actually almost all good skaters are SUPER conceded, morseo than other sports, things) and by my junior year in high school they just got to me and i was like "**** this im just gonna chill with the scene kids"

and in montevallo there is nowhere to skate so i havent skated since ive been at college. but id love to start again because i love skating it was just the crowd i was around that was super mean.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
ill skate with you ive been wanting to start skating again haha.

yeah i skated for my junior high life and the first two years of high school. all the kids at the skatepark were elitist pricks (actually almost all good skaters are SUPER conceded, morseo than other sports, things) and by my junior year in high school they just got to me and i was like "**** this im just gonna chill with the scene kids"

and in montevallo there is nowhere to skate so i havent skated since ive been at college. but id love to start again because i love skating it was just the crowd i was around that was super mean.
I gave up on skating in highschool because I had no one to skate with. I never got anywhere with it. I feel like if I had the chance to hang out at a skatepark, surely I could have learned something.

I just got back into it Friday, and I already feel like I'm about a day's worth of work from landing heelflips somewhat consistently. I just want to have fun doing it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think the biggest test of willpower is avoiding making some kind of lag johns in someone aib feedback after a match
but i do really feel like wifi is making me better at certain aspects like spacing and knowing when and when not to try to punish stuff

i'm also realizing that wifi is literally a joke in terms of actual competition. like i see that players like ally and anti who are good in real life also doing well on wifi, so i thought that there might be some competitive potential. but honestly i really don't think so anymore. playing on wifi can be compared to playing with items on. you can learn basic strats and learn to play safe, but there's too much outside of your control to make the game successfully competitive

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
There's a skatepark right by the Wal-Mart that I used to go to all the time.

Also, I just can't figure out how to ollie. All I want to do is jump, but I can't do it. I blame my ethnicity.

Also, Slam, the word is spelled, 'conceited.' I don't say these things to be a douche, I do it so douches don't harp on you.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the key for ollieing for me was to slide the side of my front foot up the board as I pushed down the back, once i figured that out, ollieing was pri easy

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
thanks zero

zero, just pop down on the tail as hard as you can and try to stay on the board.

yeah i know theres a skatepark i jus too scared to go alone :(

yeah george like when i was 15 i spent like a whole summer learning 360 flips and then i skated last year for like 3 days and got them down perfectly. its weird but i attribute it to being older and less nervous and not feeling like the entire world depends on me landing a trick and instead i was just really enjoying skating.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah, during that time i worked at pacsun, so i could get discounts on skateshoes. but i kind of hate most styles of skate shoes. but there were some really sweet adios that i had

Aloha

Smash Cadet
i dropped zero he is to complicated so i inserted deadpool! in training mode training my *** off learning techniques so back to the drawing board! by the way my team is looking like dead p, task m, tron! IF i told you ta go to hell, would cha say that i cursed ya?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i dropped zero he is to complicated so i inserted deadpool! in training mode training my *** off learning techniques so back to the drawing board! by the way my team is looking like dead p, task m, tron
I hear that Zero is one of the simplest characters in the universe to play. Weird.

So is there a tournament this weekend in Tuscaloosa? WtF, I can't find threads any more?
Yeah, there is. All tournament threads are in Tournament Listings now, and you can narrow it down by pressing the Atlantic South button from there--

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
reflex whats your team looking like?
I think I've played the game about three times in my lifetime, but I'll go to my brother's house and actually practice one day.

My aim is to try and turn the game into a formula (which is to say, to play as lame as possible).

Arthur and Doctor Doom seem to be staples right now. I was thinking of either having Sentinel or Dormammu.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Dorm is the destroyer of assists. They can't throw assists to help close in when you can react with Chaotic Flame. I think, since Sent's stamina nerf, you're gonna want Dormamu. Your major problem is you don't have anyone really beefy. I play Chris on my keepaway team, but it costs you a lot in not having Dorm's ridiculous bull****.

Top Bottom