• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Wine

Smash Cadet
so i was thinking of doing like a tier 2 PR list for AL kind of what GA does with their melee list. to give more of the up and coming players more recognition

i'll probably just have 5 ppl on it because 10 would be like 90 percent of the people who actually come to our tournaments

does anyone want to help me put this short list together. i'll probably just form a lil panel for this
lol isnt that what honorable mention is? you could do like florida and just have 20 ppl on the honorable mention

hooray for double posts... and triple edits

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Eww Will_, you think that chick was hot? She didn't love her Pokemon like Ash--that's pretty much an instant turn-off for me.
I blame my love for abusive brunette anime schoolgirls on a toonami/manga filled childhood and middle school in general.

Sailor Mars...*drools*

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
As someone who has seen every episode of Sailor Moon, I have to comment that it's all about Sailor Saturn.

There's also definitely no way Ash's Pikachu could have defeated that girl's Cubone. As much as I love the show, I wish I could maim the its writers.

Will, we're teaming at Tuscaloosa, right? :D

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
so i was thinking of doing like a tier 2 PR list for AL kind of what GA does with their melee list. to give more of the up and coming players more recognition

i'll probably just have 5 ppl on it because 10 would be like 90 percent of the people who actually come to our tournaments

does anyone want to help me put this short list together. i'll probably just form a lil panel for this
but that was my idea, this could be a disaster!

so does losing= being evicted?
pretty much, but i cant get my foot in a door anywhere so im probably ****ed either way
sometimes i dont even know why i try

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
As someone who has seen every episode of Sailor Moon, I have to comment that it's all about Sailor Saturn.

There's also definitely no way Ash's Pikachu could have defeated that girl's Cubone. As much as I love the show, I wish I could maim the its writers.

winnar if we have to fight them i dont know about double snakes. kirby and MK like to fly around and **** snake in the air

o ino!
DOUBLE FALCONS

er...i dunno we'll think about it

Winnar

Smash Lord
winnar if we have to fight them i dont know about double snakes. kirby and MK like to fly around and **** snake in the air

o ino!
DOUBLE FALCONS

er...i dunno we'll think about it
Hm...we'll see I guess.

Also yeah Toonami was my childhood too :( Toonami and N64

Will_

Smash Journeyman

But nothing can overcome PIKACHU MAX POWER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXruipuboA

And hell yeah.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
T1, no. Just stop with this 'expanding the power list' crap. It was bad enough when you just took the impressions of anyone with an opinion for the AL tier list, expanding the power list is totally meaningless.

We do not have enough regular tourney attendees to accomplish that. You might as well just take a poll of who posts in the bloody AL thread and award positions based on postcount.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Jack

This came from the guy that said Roy beats Fox. Just let it go :D
looooooooool

edit: and i agree with munkus, i don't think we should expand the PR list. And put DanGR on there whether he likes it or not. IMO, he should be #3.

EDIT edit: And Cam, if you still don't have a teammate, I'd love to team with you. If you come to Andy's tomorrow, we could get some practice in if you'd like.

Wine

Smash Cadet
T1, no. Just stop with this 'expanding the power list' crap. It was bad enough when you just took the impressions of anyone with an opinion for the AL tier list, expanding the power list is totally meaningless.

We do not have enough regular tourney attendees to accomplish that. You might as well just take a poll of who posts in the bloody AL thread and award positions based on postcount.
first off, this sounds to me like someones bitter about moving down the PR list. Secondly, the last PR was basically the original panel plus like 2 or 3 people. Finally, there are a few PR people who havent been attending many tournaments lately and a fresh PR list for the active attendees sounds like a good idea to me.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
looooooooool

edit: and i agree with munkus, i don't think we should expand the PR list. And put DanGR on there whether he likes it or not. IMO, he should be #3.

EDIT edit: And Cam, if you still don't have a teammate, I'd love to team with you. If you come to Andy's tomorrow, we could get some practice in if you'd like.
Yeah, let's team. Where's Andy's apartment again? I've only been there once. Man, no one from Madison is going Saturday but me T.T DanGR is going to be at Camp War Eagle and can't go. I'm going to be driving down there all by my lonesome.

EDIT: I don't have much of an opinion about expanding the PR list, but I do agree with Nu when he said the old PR list was the old panel plus a few people. Personally, I just think we should do some sort of point system and screw opinions because opinions are by definition biased. Base it off of tournament results and nothing more.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
first off, this sounds to me like someones bitter about moving down the PR list. Secondly, the last PR was basically the original panel plus like 2 or 3 people. Finally, there are a few PR people who havent been attending many tournaments lately and a fresh PR list for the active attendees sounds like a good idea to me.
Nobody's bitter here, let's be mature about this. Munkus is one of the PR panelists, for crying out loud. There's only one person on this thread who has been openly irritated about not making it on the list.

A fresh PR List isn't the same thing as expanding the existing PR List. It was updated at the end of April, there's no need to update it again for a while. We've only had a few tournaments since then.

There are not enough competitors to justify expanding the PR. The same 10-20 people show up to every competition, not all consistently.

Taking the PR to more than the Top Ten will just make it easier for people to make it on the list. That, to me, would take away the feeling of accomplishment somewhat. If you have enough drive and devotion, you'll make it on the Top Ten. That's a bigger goal to set, and more rewarding in the end.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, let's team. Where's Andy's apartment again? I've only been there once. Man, no one from Madison is going Saturday but me T.T DanGR is going to be at Camp War Eagle and can't go. I'm going to be driving down there all by my lonesome.

EDIT: I don't have much of an opinion about expanding the PR list, but I do agree with Nu when he said the old PR list was the old panel plus a few people. Personally, I just think we should do some sort of point system and screw opinions because opinions are by definition biased. Base it off of tournament results and nothing more.
Er... you can PM moogle for directions, we play around 6ish.

I completely agree with your suggestion concerning the PR List. That way, players are undeniably rewarded for their results, and not averaged out.

EDIT: We'll discuss travel options.... I have an idea.:grin:

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
first off, this sounds to me like someones bitter about moving down the PR list.
Nope, if you had a pair of eyes you'd see I am a very opinionated person and I share my opinions. Bluntly. Very bluntly. Like so:

I don't like the random tourney. I think it's dumb. I am not certain why it's the secondary tourney at this thing. But I'm gonna enter anyway. I know there's going to be bullsh*t at this tourney because it's a RANDOM TOURNEY! WHAT DO I EXPECT!

COMPLAINING ABOUT BULLSH*T AT A RANDOM TOURNEY IS LIKE COMPLAINING AT "SH*T AND EGGS" THAT THERE IS SH*T IN YOUR EGGS

Secondly, the last PR was basically the original panel plus like 2 or 3 people.
Which original panel? The Brawl panel? Because if you're talking about that, you're full of more crap than Sh*t and Eggs.

If you're talking about the Melee Panel, then you are functionally incompetent.

Finally, there are a few PR people who havent been attending many tournaments lately and a fresh PR list for the active attendees sounds like a good idea to me.
Everyone does not deserve a gold star, ace.

nice1

Smash Lord
Nope, if you had a pair of eyes you'd see I am a very opinionated person and I share my opinions. Bluntly. Very bluntly. Like so:

I don't like the random tourney. I think it's dumb. I am not certain why it's the secondary tourney at this thing. But I'm gonna enter anyway. I know there's going to be bullsh*t at this tourney because it's a RANDOM TOURNEY! WHAT DO I EXPECT!

COMPLAINING ABOUT BULLSH*T AT A RANDOM TOURNEY IS LIKE COMPLAINING AT "SH*T AND EGGS" THAT THERE IS SH*T IN YOUR EGGS

Which original panel? The Brawl panel? Because if you're talking about that, you're full of more crap than Sh*t and Eggs.

If you're talking about the Melee Panel, then you are functionally incompetent.

Everyone does not deserve a gold star, ace.
tha random tourney is gonna be fun cuz me and u r gonna meet in brackets just like the low tier tourney and the matches will be epic lmao

Wine

Smash Cadet
kevin on adam's computer...

I'm not "expanding" the PR list...the top ten is the top ten, that's not changing. and I'm not maknig it a top 15 or a top 20
I'm more sufficiently recognizing up and coming players by creating a 2nd tier list, like GA did with their Melee Pr list. e.g in GA there were a lot of very good melee players like DP and tong who weren't in the top ten but still deserved recognition so they created a 2nd and 3rd list to be placed under the main list.

and i'm pretty sure you're all underestimating how many AL ppl are coming to tournaments recently.
but obv if everyone opposes the idea i wont do it.

also an PR based solely on tourney results is a terrible idea, I've always thought so. Tournament results aren't even that objective, they vary based on how sleepy/healthy the person was that day, who that person got in brackets, what matchups that person had to play etc., we need a human input to decide the actual order of the PR list. say moogle got unlucky and had to fight sheiks and pikachus for 3 tournaments straight. Does he deserve to move down or off of the list? did he all of sudden stop being one of the best in AL? Will_ has overall done better in AL tournaments than Reflex...and he even has beaten reflex more times than reflex has beaten him...but its clear to anyone who's paying attention that Reflex is #1 in AL regardless. A list based solely on tourney results would destroy common sense on things like that. Plus you avoid dumb stuff like ties and ****. TN's list has like 8 different ties, thats lame.

random tourney is there because its fun.
new rule
you're not allowed to attend my tournaments if you don't intend to have fun

toonami was like hey guys lets like completely butcher some pretty decent animes and **** with terrible voice acting and laughable edits. and also lets cut to a commercial approximately every two minutes.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Oh God those were fantastic.

I hope we do. And watch it be like, C.Falcon vs Sonic and have it go to time.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
kevin on adam's computer...

I'm not "expanding" the PR list...the top ten is the top ten, that's not changing. and I'm not maknig it a top 15 or a top 20
I'm more sufficiently recognizing up and coming players by creating a 2nd tier list, like GA did with their Melee Pr list. e.g in GA there were a lot of very good melee players like DP and tong who weren't in the top ten but still deserved recognition so they created a 2nd and 3rd list to be placed under the main list.
"I am not making a second PR list. I am making another PR list below it."

I'm, do you have trouble counting to TWO? Do I need to pull up the dictionary.com definition of ANOTHER?

and i'm pretty sure you're all underestimating how many AL ppl are coming to tournaments recently.
Nope.

also an PR based solely on tourney results is a terrible idea, I've always thought so.
I stopped there, stunned, like Roy fighting Fox. Because the rest of what you said about this made no sense.

You realize by saying that Reflex is better than Will_ is because he has won more tourneys? That have more people? I mean my God man, you're talking about MATCHUPS, not TOURNEY RESULTS.

The PR list is based on tourney results because friendlies are friendlies. There is no pressure. In tourneys, sh*t's on the line. People choke. You don't choke when your sonic is playing grab a$$ with captain falcon. Performance is tested on pressure. Pressure is the difference between the carbon from the poop of your butt and the diamonds on my chain, foo'

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Will_ has overall done better in AL tournaments than Reflex...and he even has beaten reflex more times than reflex has beaten him...
Not specifically to be nitpicky, but I think our tournament set record is even now.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
toonami was like hey guys lets like completely butcher some pretty decent animes and **** with terrible voice acting and laughable edits. and also lets cut to a commercial approximately every two minutes.
No lie on the commercial breaks being excessive, but the only show I'm seeing on the list of their anime that was butchered is CC Sakura, and they had nothing to do with that dub, they just aired it b/c it was the best they could get.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
also an PR based solely on tourney results is a terrible idea, I've always thought so. Tournament results aren't even that objective, they vary based on how sleepy/healthy the person was that day, who that person got in brackets, what matchups that person had to play etc., we need a human input to decide the actual order of the PR list. say moogle got unlucky and had to fight sheiks and pikachus for 3 tournaments straight. Does he deserve to move down or off of the list? did he all of sudden stop being one of the best in AL? Will_ has overall done better in AL tournaments than Reflex...and he even has beaten reflex more times than reflex has beaten him...but its clear to anyone who's paying attention that Reflex is #1 in AL regardless. A list based solely on tourney results would destroy common sense on things like that. Plus you avoid dumb stuff like ties and ****. TN's list has like 8 different ties, thats lame.
It doesn't matter. We can't judge someone during a friendly because they could just be messing around. The only time you really know they are trying is in tournament. And yes, you have to be able to perform well under pressure. I agree that it would be very unlucky for Moogle to have to face Pikachus and Sheiks in tournament (even if he still beats them XD). He always has the chance to change characters. There could be a guy that mains Ganon who would win in tournament, except he mains Ganon. Everyone has the chance to main Metaknight and have no unfavorable matchups. Everyone runs the risk of playing bad matchups when they go to tournaments. We have things that make it more unlikely set in place so no one gets completely screwed over. We have double elimination, 3 games per set, and counterpicking. It will never be completely fair, but it's pretty close.

A list based on tournament results would in my opinion also have to include out of state tournaments as well. Reflex has done better than Will at those. Let me elaborate how this might work. This is the way the Pikachu boards do tournament results and rankings.

Number of people at tournament/place you got=points

For instance, if you get 25th place out of 50 participants, it would be 50/25= 2 points.

So, since Reflex does better at national tournaments than Will, he would get a bunch more points. Let's take Last Smash for instance. I don't know how many people were at Last Smash and I don't care to look it up. Let's just assume Reflex got 1st of 50, then he would get 50 points. If Will got 2nd of 50, then he would get 25 points. The larger the tournament, the more it matters.

Not to mention this method somewhat rewards those who actually bother to show up at more tournaments, though it's not much.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
pika cam is all about the tourney results.

this could better me in getting recognoized because alot of notable players think im a great player but if you look at my tourney results i come in last all the time. its cuz i use to freeze up during actual brackets.
but im getting better at that.
but truly i am the only one that knows my own abilitys. anyways, i think a 2nd ranking list of lower players would be good. like up and coming noticable players that are active.

its basically like the major leagues and minors right kevin?

oh yeah. im back after 2 weeks without brawl or internet.
i hope it doesnt affect me in tuscalooosa. the fact that i havent played in so long.

j00t

Smash Champion
pika cam is all about the tourney results.

this could better me in getting recognoized because alot of notable players think im a great player but if you look at my tourney results i come in last all the time. its cuz i use to freeze up during actual brackets.
but im getting better at that.
but truly i am the only one that knows my own abilitys. anyways, i think a 2nd ranking list of lower players would be good. like up and coming noticable players that are active.

its basically like the major leagues and minors right kevin?

oh yeah. im back after 2 weeks without brawl or internet.
i hope it doesnt affect me in tuscalooosa. the fact that i havent played in so long.
Oh, stop it sir.

Here's a solution for everyone: Shrink the current PR list to 5 spots.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Oh, stop it sir.

Here's a solution for everyone: Shrink the current PR list to 5 spots.
Oh here's another one, just repeat Reflex's name for each of the rankings.

Make sure you have a different, completely conflicting bio under each one, though.

Oh and put other people on it from out of state, like Kismet2 and me :D

And Ally.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
we need to make a cooking momma PR list.

does reflex win at that too?

ive been dead serious about brining cooking mamma into competition for a while now.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
It would be a second PR list, and the only way to keep it from feeling like we now have an AL top 20, is to remove actually rankings from the list by number to number.

For example, you could put the secondary characters into three or four tiers of honorably mentions, and have no limit to the number of people that can be between those tiers?
Get my drift?

I've been morbidly depressed all day.

Top Bottom