• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I'm decent against one of my good friends who is also decent.
Yet, when it comes down to playing scrubby players, I get beat.
I don't know why. It's the players who just jab constantly and dash up smash. I don't know how this happens and I have tried everything to fix it, but I can't.
Any suggestions?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a problem with adapting to your opponent. It's important to be able to change your style in order to match the other player.

Much like how you customize your attack patterns in a character matchup (you might approach snake differently than you do Ganondorf), you get a feel for what works and what doesn't during the fight. Everybody has their own habits, victory can be determined by how quickly you notice those habits.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I don't know why. It's the players who just jab constantly and dash up smash. I don't know how this happens and I have tried everything to fix it, but I can't.
Any suggestions?
You should try recording matches of you vs other people, so you can see what you are actually doing. I used to do this quite a lot for Melee in my early days, and it is extremely helpful (not that you should ever quit recording yourself, i just got lazy).

Winnar

Smash Lord
Any suggestions?
One thing that helped me was analyzing myself. If you record yourself (quality is unimportant, just the fact that you're watching yourself play) then it's easier to do, but not totally necessary.

For example...every time you take damage, any amount of damage at all, stop and think. Think of what you did to put yourself in the situation where you got hit and how you could avoid putting yourself in that situation. If you're in a multi-hit move like the infinite jabs or pikachu d-smash then look to see if you're DI'ing properly (as in out of the multi hit attack ASAP)

Stuff like that :O

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I'll be sure to save alot of replays and look over them. It's probably just lack of experience, I like to think I'm better than people who have more experience than me just because they don't know random techs and ATs. I guess that gets in the way of me getting better.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this. Is there a Pokedex entry I should read?
Ruby Pokedex said:
SPOINK bounces around on its tail. The shock of its bouncing makes its heart pump. As a result, this POKéMON cannot afford to stop bouncing - if it stops, its heart will stop.
FireRed/LeafGreen Pokedex said:
It apparently dies if it stops bouncing about. It carries a pearl from CLAMPERL on its head.
Platinum/Diamond/Pearl Pokedex said:
It bounces constantly, using its tail like a spring. The shock of bouncing keeps its heart beating.
10poorspoinks

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Technically when Spoink gets paralyzed, it shudders in an attempt to break free of paralysis and to regain normal movement. So it in essence bobs up and down just enough. Try Seismic Toss?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Any suggestions?
i also had this problem early on

like I'd do decently against decent player, but then I'd play a guy who just rolls back and forth and don't know what to do about it.

but like will underscore said, its a problem with adapting to your opponent. its easy to develop a homogenized playstyle that works based on good players who've learned all the smashboards basics, but when scrubby players with their unorthodox movements come your style's not going to work

an easy way to beat scrubby players is to just not do anything until they do anything lol
just stand there, block their attack and then punish. rinse and repeat.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
"Scrub" players as you call them are easy to beat once you click one switch off: MINDGAMES

Yes you don't need to mindgame them. They won't mindgame you. If they run at you, they won't retreat back at the last second. They won't try to keep things off the DR for efficiency. They will be direct and generally aggressive. The "scrubs" that consider themselves the best of their little subgroup will generally have mastered some cheap tactic that is difficult for the basic player to get around. You find the opening in their cheap spam and BLAMO! Victory.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
In Melee it was you find the opening and then you have fun practicing various combos/techchases that are made all the more impressive looking by your opponent's complete lack of DI.
In Brawl you find the opening. Then you find the opening again. And again. And again.

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Thanks, the scrubby guy used to play snake. His Snake was only good because it was snake and he just powershielded everything and used tilts. One match we played a snake ditto, I pulled off a tech chase that lasted for 7 grabs. I thought he was going to use mindgames and I ran the opposite way he usually went. I guess I just have to bait them with nothing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In Melee it was you find the opening and then you have fun practicing various combos/techchases that are made all the more impressive looking by your opponent's complete lack of DI.
In Brawl you find the opening. Then you find the opening again. And again. And again.
Hey, now; Wario and Squirtle are all about some custom combos. :)

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Oh and Mahg, In the manga a farfetch'd and his trainer get killed in the forest. AND It's rumored that Farfetch'd needs his stick/onion/thing to survive and defend himself. I heard it cuts like a sward.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Oh yeah I forgot.

Anyone wanna team with me this weekend and ****?

I'm relying on winnings to pay my rent, so I'm going all out.

If I do bad though it was because I was sick, haven't played in a long time, and something involving lag somewhere.

Team.

j00t

Smash Champion
Oh yeah I forgot.

If I do bad though it was because I was sick, haven't played in a long time, and something involving lag somewhere.

Team.
Nice pre-johns!

Winnar

Smash Lord
Nice pre-johns!
I agree! You covered almost all your bases! :O You may want to vaguely suggest that certain matchups against the characters you play are totally broken and you were guaranteed to lose anyway due to the gayness of the game and/or player you were facing.

Mo' vague-a, mo' betta

They were pretty tough and stringy, but they tasted good with bbq sauce.
...what doesn't taste good with bbq sauce?

Edit - oh shi I forgot to mention that I just got back from seeing Coldplay live in concert yessssss

They are awesome, especially in concert.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Eww Will_, you think that chick was hot? She didn't love her Pokemon like Ash--that's pretty much an instant turn-off for me.

Kalm, I'm looking for a doubles partner. You don't know me, but Winnar can vouch for me. :p. My roomie mained DK, and we've teamed in friendlies before, so I have a pretty good feel for the character.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Eww Will_, you think that chick was hot? She didn't love her Pokemon like Ash--that's pretty much an instant turn-off for me.

Kalm, I'm looking for a doubles partner. You don't know me, but Winnar can vouch for me. :p. My roomie mained DK, and we've teamed in friendlies before, so I have a pretty good feel for the character.
BTW guys I forgot to mention but Chris is a film school guy, so when you talk to him you'll have to speak slowly.

Anyway yeah he's not bad, I suppose. ;P

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah having to think to take damage from your opponents is so lame isn't it :-P

i kind of want to pick up Arcana Heart though

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
so i was thinking of doing like a tier 2 PR list for AL kind of what GA does with their melee list. to give more of the up and coming players more recognition

i'll probably just have 5 ppl on it because 10 would be like 90 percent of the people who actually come to our tournaments

does anyone want to help me put this short list together. i'll probably just form a lil panel for this

Wine

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah I forgot.

Team.
so does losing= being evicted?

Top Bottom