• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

Alabama Smash League

Smash Rookie

AlabamaSmashLeague.com
Email:
alabamasmashleague@gmail.com

Who Are We:
The Alabama Smash League is an organization of Alabama & Georgia's most dedicated smash tournament organizers, most recognized players, and most aspiring crews.

What's Our Goal:
The primary mission of the Alabama Smash League is to promote a competitive, friendly, and growing community of players by organizing and facilitating Super Smash Bros. tournaments and events. The ASL stands for more than just Alabama, and we are dedicated to creating active and successful smashers throughout the southeast.

What's Our Method:
The Alabama Smash League works with the local tournament organizers to plan a balanced schedule of events where communities are inspired to improve. We also help promote these events through video recording, social media and pooled resources.

How Can I Help?:
The Alabama Smash League does not ask for donations or financial support of any kind. We WOULD like to improve our social network so please, find us on Twitter, Youtube, or Facebook and follow.

If you would like to know how you can work with the ASL to improve your local scene and promote your tournament, please feel free to contact one of our organizers or post here, and PLEASE DON'T WAIT TO EXPAND YOUR SCENE NOW!

The Events:

AUSOM Six: Over Georgia
September 8, 2012
Auburn, AL

Are You Ready for This?
September 22, 2012
Mobile, AL

Iron Brawl IV
October 13, 2012
Tuscaloosa, AL

HASL 4 at ChargerCon
October 27, 2012
Huntsville, AL

WABA
November 10, 2012
*******, GA

Officers:
President: Luis Torres - TheReflexWonder
Vice President: John Rountree - Cam
Treasurer: Andrew Atchison - Ryker

Every Follow Helps

AlabamaSmashLeague.com
/AlabamaSmashLeague
@ALSmashLeague
/AlabamaSmashLeague
/AlabamaSmashLeague

*Cam*

Smash Lord
We are very serious about our commitment to making Smash tournaments more accessible to everyone. $25 for waived venue and brawl singles fees is a great deal for 5 tournaments. You could save $15 by just attending 2 events.

We will be working over the next 6 months to make sure new players find a gateway into the competitive scene (mostly from college smash clubs we are starting).

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
o yes, the hype starts now.

Edit: Also I'm a bit sure the PR will be merged into this right? Should I go about requesting a lock on my thread?

*Cam*

Smash Lord

Edit: Also I'm a bit sure the PR will be merged into this right? Should I go about requesting a lock on my thread?
No, I wouldn't worry about that right now.

The PR discussion was a little irrelevant to us though because we knew we would have an ASL season rankings that people from any state could be a part of (as long as they are members).

Don't forget to sign up you guys.

EDIT: If anyone wants to mail it in before Mid-August, you can mail your order form and money to 123 Kelvingrove Drive, Madison, AL 35758.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I am President Grand Master King Baron Queen Esquire Lord Duke Earl Prime Minister Sultan Emperor Kaiser Tsar Pharaoh Raja Marquess Count Jedi Levi III and I approve this message

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

I wouldn't think so. The PR can still function. It still takes into account OoS preformance and other things an ELO ranking wouldn't. For example, a player's rank can't go down if they don't show up to any more events.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I liked Picto. ;-;

Anywho I registered and such. I guess since you guys want that dollar I'll just pay in person.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
But I've got no plans for Last Smash. :I

Oh and is my new screen name going to mess up anything Cam had set out?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
But I've got no plans for Last Smash. :I

Oh and is my new screen name going to mess up anything Cam had set out?
You mean the name Saki? No, it's fine. From now on, that's the name we will put you in as whenever I post tournament results or videos.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
All right, xD just got tired of going places and the spanish telling me "You know your name means *** in our language right?". I'll get the name changed on this forum as well the moment premium gets back up. <.<;;

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I signed up. Even if I don't go to a single tournament (I plan to attend all of them!) then I don't care because I'm supporting the AL Smash Community. I hope this works out for you guys <3

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I like the way this looks.

I wish I lived in a better place than I do for Smash.

I dislike that it appears to only support Brawl.

Overall, approval.
I wish we had the resources to promote the Melee and 64 communities, but we don't. I met with the Huntsville Melee crew before HASL and told them that we would increase our support for Melee tremendously if they could get a good Melee turnout. The turnout for Melee singles was like 15 people, only half of them being hardcore Melee players. The rest were people who mainly came for Brawl singles, which had 63 entrants.

The bottom line is that we are not ready to invest a lot of resources in a community which doesn't seem to have a lot of potential to grow in AL. I may be proven wrong in the coming season, but until we see more enthusiasm for Melee, we will continue to put the most resources at ASL tournaments into Brawl singles.

We are starting Smash clubs at a few universities to try and draw more people into the community. Brawl is the latest and most available Smash game. People who are new to the community are going to naturally gravitate towards it, but we won't ignore Melee. We are not creating Brawl clubs but Smash clubs that will include Melee and 64. However, considering most new players are attracted to Brawl, the way to bring them into Smash is through Brawl. After that, they can be inducted into the other games of the series. It's obvious that on its own, Melee doesn't attract nearly as much new blood as Brawl. The Melee comunity can only grow out of the Brawl community.

In the same way, ASL is a vehicle for Brawl AND Melee. Although the financial incentives favor Brawl more than Melee, the fact is that we are getting new people in the same room with a Melee tournament. We are providing the Melee community with an invaluable opportunity to grow. If and when the Melee tournaments gain popularity, we will offer the same membership deal for Melee enthusiasts, probably separately from the Brawl membership (or we could have three deals: one for just Brawl, one for just Melee, and one for both). Instead of seeing Brawl as a competitor, the Melee community should see Brawl as a tool to get people out to events that have Melee.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I wish we had the resources to promote the Melee and 64 communities, but we don't. I met with the Huntsville Melee crew before HASL and told them that we would increase our support for Melee tremendously if they could get a good Melee turnout. The turnout for Melee singles was like 15 people, only half of them being hardcore Melee players. The rest were people who mainly came for Brawl singles, which had 63 entrants.

The bottom line is that we are not ready to invest a lot of resources in a community which doesn't seem to have a lot of potential to grow in AL. I may be proven wrong in the coming season, but until we see more enthusiasm for Melee, we will continue to put the most resources at ASL tournaments into Brawl singles.

We are starting Smash clubs at a few universities to try and draw more people into the community. Brawl is the latest and most available Smash game. People who are new to the community are going to naturally gravitate towards it, but we won't ignore Melee. We are not creating Brawl clubs but Smash clubs that will include Melee and 64. However, considering most new players are attracted to Brawl, the way to bring them into Smash is through Brawl. After that, they can be inducted into the other games of the series. It's obvious that on its own, Melee doesn't attract nearly as much new blood as Brawl. The Melee comunity can only grow out of the Brawl community.

In the same way, ASL is a vehicle for Brawl AND Melee. Although the financial incentives favor Brawl more than Melee, the fact is that we are getting new people in the same room with a Melee tournament. We are providing the Melee community with an invaluable opportunity to grow. If and when the Melee tournaments gain popularity, we will offer the same membership deal for Melee enthusiasts, probably separately from the Brawl membership (or we could have three deals: one for just Brawl, one for just Melee, and one for both). Instead of seeing Brawl as a competitor, the Melee community should see Brawl as a tool to get people out to events that have Melee.
This! If you want a community all you need to do is get on board this hype train. Show up. and first and foremost SIGN UP! We have the the trail already blazed, we just need money for rails guys!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
maybe with consistent, well run tournaments, alabama can actually stand a chance at getting good at this damn game

*Cam*

Smash Lord
We need people to remember to sign up! A lot of people still haven't yet. Idk if they are waiting until they have money or what.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Ausom needs to check in on that Venue lol
Well, we are in the middle of a little debate right now about where we should host it. We have several options available to us. It's not as much the need to find a place as it is the need to pick one.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah im hoping AL can get better at this game and stand a chance against GA and NC and FL and all that jazz.
we are the only state like that that doesnt have anything legitwise going as far as tourneys go. so lets do this ****.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
To be honest I feel we aren't far off from being able to compete with them. If we could just actively practice and have tournaments we'd be back at Georgia's and NC's level at least before Winter.

Player-1

Smash Legend
So I was just wondering since you guys are basically having the same exact tournament 5 times as far as rules and payouts go, did you consider having like a big end of the season tournament with larger payouts that you could hype up?

Edit: Oh yeah, and a commentary set-up makes sets watched on youtube like 10 times more hyped.

Top Bottom