• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Akuma is Watching! - The Ryu Video Thread and Critique Thread

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
This thread will be used for videos of Ryu. If you can find tournament gameplay on YouTube (not as of today obviously) then link it here. If you want your Ryu gameplay critiqued then post it here and we'll give you a hand.

The following links are useful for newcomers or even for the players that were since day one.
FADC Potential Uses Guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdOwm_ypDMU
Utilizing Jab locks and prattacks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xhmszZU2A
Utilizing Jab locks and prattacks 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f70-0twB8HU
Ryu's Extended Dash Dancing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9nGYUEIT68
Aerial Movement Showcase - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfdeQ9FmAII
Uair Platform Canceling - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vEoFCUgTE
Stages Ryu can go under - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S578Su69K2g
Credit goes to Hooded for all these amazing videos.

This video demonstrates the greatness of input shoryuken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmiZyfvFQK4
Credit goes to a the Japanese youtuber that uploaded this.

I will not be posting matches here yet since the Ryu metagame is still evolving, and I want to wait a bit until I start posting videos of Ryu's in action. I might post a couple that are really good and that all Ryu's should give a watch just to get an understanding of how Ryu could be played.

Last edited:

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Ryu first impressions! I break down Ryu gameplay and discover some new tech!. Let me know what you think of my Ryu!

https://youtu.be/ktwUpBP05mI
So overall you seem to have an understanding of smash is what I can see. As for judging your Ryu I can't really say it's bad or good now since it's only day one and were still learning the character. I would advise that you enter training room and start better understanding how his moves work to better utilize him during combat. Check out the combo thread and other useful threads on the Ryu sub-fourms and your bound to improve your play style.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ryu is able to Dash Cancel his Focus Attack in the air, effectively making him the only character in the game with an air dash. This could be useful for mindgames.

Last edited:

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Ryu is able to Dash Cancel his Focus Attack in the air, effectively making him the only character in the game with an air dash. This could be useful for mindgames.

YES! Great examples of FADC's. It is a really good tactic and should be used sparingly.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
So overall you seem to have an understanding of smash is what I can see. As for judging your Ryu I can't really say it's bad or good now since it's only day one and were still learning the character. I would advise that you enter training room and start better understanding how his moves work to better utilize him during combat. Check out the combo thread and other useful threads on the Ryu sub-fourms and your bound to improve your play style.
definately gotta learn the street fighter inputs, seems like it has its advantage over the simplier smash inputs. And that ex fireball, so hard to do consistantly.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
definately gotta learn the street fighter inputs, seems like it has its advantage over the simplier smash inputs. And that ex fireball, so hard to do consistantly.
The SF inputs are slightly stronger than the B inputs. As for getting the inputs precisely I would recommend short hopping and applying the analog input and then upon landing press A/B.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice

you should also post this in the AT's thread if you haven't already. It's definetley an important part of Ryu's gameplay.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
So let's talk about this for a second.

What's a counter again

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
So let's talk about this for a second.

What's a counter again
Good find! Counter is not affected by focus punch as well for those of you who did not know. Solaris_roid, I don't know if something like this also belongs in at's thread but go show some of the people on that thread this find.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Good find! Counter is not affected by focus punch as well for those of you who did not know. Solaris_roid, I don't know if something like this also belongs in at's thread but go show some of the people on that thread this find.
i believe this has to be the street input for this to work? not the smashified normal up b, correct?

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
i hear the SF input has invinciblity at the start where as the smash input does not. Somebody test!
Start as in first frame, first couple of frames?
Also I'll test it in about 30 min unless someone gets ahead of me.

Last edited:

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Here's some gameplay i thought you guys might enjoy

I'm really liking Nair for dat gimping
wow your nair gimps were really on point. I would say careful where you land with that FA. Do more gimmick stuff with FADC to play mind games. You also seem to like Dair when coming down which is nice in some situations, but on shield you're gonna get punished so don't throw that move out a lot. These are just some suggestions and my opinions.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoaxQn9joeE&feature=youtu.be
Here's a video of me on FG with some Japanese player. Really wonky matchup, but after playing him a lot I got the hang of it. All the random SRK's are not intentional btw, it's just me messing up pretty bad. Feedback is appreciated.
Some of your Tatsu's seemed to really hurt your positioning in the beginning which overall don't think helped you at all. Kept you out of range where he could throw stuff at you and you couldn't combo. I think if you would have dodged forward through some of the bombs or behind the 'rang, you would have been in a few times and probably made him helpless. Not bad by any means though, just some stage control issues.

wow your nair gimps were really on point. I would say careful where you land with that FA. Do more gimmick stuff with FADC to play mind games. You also seem to like Dair when coming down which is nice in some situations, but on shield you're gonna get punished so don't throw that move out a lot. These are just some suggestions and my opinions.
Thanks for the response, I'll work on the things you pointed out. As for the Dair, it's a really nice combo starter and it has a lot of shield push, so a lot of characters have trouble punishing it when blocked... Link isn't one of those though, as you could tell. Hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoaxQn9joeE&feature=youtu.be
Here's a video of me on FG with some Japanese player. Really wonky matchup, but after playing him a lot I got the hang of it. All the random SRK's are not intentional btw, it's just me messing up pretty bad. Feedback is appreciated.
I like the way you use FADC, I see what you were talking about. The TL match-up looks like a pain, but a tip that makes it easier to deal with his and Link's camping is to use their bombs against them. It's really easy to grab a bomb with Z after it bounces off your shield, so I'd recommend doing that some more.

Pmush

Smash Rookie
how do you do the ex shoryuken while standing still? I can do it while moving but in that counter video, he wasn't. Can anybody help?

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
how do you do the ex shoryuken while standing still? I can do it while moving but in that counter video, he wasn't. Can anybody help?
I just wanna let you know this is not the place to ask that question , this should have been posted in the QnA.
But anyways...
you need to be quick with the analog input that's all. And just so you know you have a whole second to press A/B after the analog input. Go into training ing mode and do it multiple times until you get it fast enough to use during play.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Some of your Tatsu's seemed to really hurt your positioning in the beginning which overall don't think helped you at all. Kept you out of range where he could throw stuff at you and you couldn't combo. I think if you would have dodged forward through some of the bombs or behind the 'rang, you would have been in a few times and probably made him helpless. Not bad by any means though, just some stage control issues.
Ya most of those tatsu's were misinputs and me trying to do a back airs. I'll try dodging more in the air, I don't think I do it often at all. Thanks for the tips.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the response, I'll work on the things you pointed out. As for the Dair, it's a really nice combo starter and it has a lot of shield push, so a lot of characters have trouble punishing it when blocked... Link isn't one of those though, as you could tell. Hehe

I like the way you use FADC, I see what you were talking about. The TL match-up looks like a pain, but a tip that makes it easier to deal with his and Link's camping is to use their bombs against them. It's really easy to grab a bomb with Z after it bounces off your shield, so I'd recommend doing that some more.
Ya I did that a few times in the other games, but I was not fast enough to throw them back. I'll try none the less. Also if you did not know Ryu's nair seems to clash and make the item null as you can see at 1:22-1:25. I used it a couple of times in the other matches and it comes in handy at times, use at times when you battle against the Link player who is probably your friend.
Thanks for the comment though.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
A Ryu vs. Ryu ditto (I'm the one in dark costume). Was recorded day of DLC release.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Here's a really bad match from me. My Shoto is gonna require a lot of lab work.

It seems like we are in the same boat being on the 3DS. Nice Goku skin btw.
Now on to critique.
FADC's don't seem to be on point, try more gimmicky mind games with them mainly in the air as in short hop and FADC.
Dash attack is also what i noticed you like to use a lot. Try to stay away from this move unless your continuing a combo, tech chase, or a punish of some sort. Your hadoken placement was really nice and your overall placement of Ryu in the first stock was really nice as well. Mess around with FADC's more and you will be more fluid in terms of movement.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
It seems like we are in the same boat being on the 3DS. Nice Goku skin btw.
Now on to critique.
FADC's don't seem to be on point, try more gimmicky mind games with them mainly in the air as in short hop and FADC.
Dash attack is also what i noticed you like to use a lot. Try to stay away from this move unless your continuing a combo, tech chase, or a punish of some sort. Your hadoken placement was really nice and your overall placement of Ryu in the first stock was really nice as well. Mess around with FADC's more and you will be more fluid in terms of movement.
Thanks. I do rely on FA too much for my liking, which is very readable. And I have a problem with dash attacks, as well. But, I'm having a TON of fun playing as Ryu, though. As time goes on, more meta will be discovered and developed for the character across the board. :)

Got one last video for you to critique. This one is a bit better, in my opinion.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
A Ryu vs. Ryu ditto (I'm the one in dark costume). Was recorded day of DLC release.

Hmm well it seems you need to spend some more time on the Ryu boards my friend. It is fair to mention it was the first day he came out so if you can post some more recent games that you play so I can better critique, but I'll do with what I got.
I see you like to charge smash attacks a lot, like a lot. This really is not beneficial (except for that last kill, that was really nice) in any way. When your charging a smash and you get hit the knock back is increased by a certain amount compared to the original knock back. You do not want this, Ryu's recovery options are predictable and being off stage is not a good sign for Ryu. You want to maintain stage control in which you dictate the battle. By this I mean staying near the center of the stage in juxtaposition to your opponent. If your opponent is off stage it's safe to be near the ledge for you can edge guard him, trump him, punish for bad recovery, etc. Also the way you recovered is nice it always got the opponent you were playing, but not all opponent will be like that. In the higher level play your opponent will be quick to punish the same movement. Try to mix things up. You can drop down near the ledge and then recover with Up-b and so on so forth. I hope you consider some of the tips I gave in further progressing your Ryu play style. Good Luck!

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I do rely on FA too much for my liking, which is very readable. And I have a problem with dash attacks, as well. But, I'm having a TON of fun playing as Ryu, though. As time goes on, more meta will be discovered and developed for the character across the board. :)

Got one last video for you to critique. This one is a bit better, in my opinion.

Ah Little Mac...
I know this match up decently well and I'm pretty sure you can tell as well, that the Mac was pretty bad.
Definitely much better though.
I saw some dash attacks in there again, but not as much as before so good. The loss of your first stock could have been prevented. I'm not sure why you air dodged when you neared the ledge, you could have laid back with a jump and waited for the down smash and recovered with side B or up B depending on your position.
The FADC was really nice, continue using it like that and sometimes in the air if you can. You can also use it as a recovery option, but be careful with it offstage. Miss timing can result in an early death. Good placement of Ryu like before and that spike at the end...icing on the cake.(is that how they say it?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom