• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Akuma is Watching! - The Ryu Video Thread and Critique Thread

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Yo so 6wx WON tourney with ryu !!!
goto 1:33:00 Granfials Ryu vs Sheik

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hahah good stuff here. 6wx playing loose. Not committing too much. Showing what solid fundamentals and just plain common sense does for Ryus gameplay. The key to succeeding with Ryu is not to FORCE it. Let it happen. Let it flow.

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Hahah good stuff here. 6wx playing loose. Not committing too much. Showing what solid fundamentals and just plain common sense does for Ryus gameplay. The key to succeeding with Ryu is not to FORCE it. Let it happen. Let it flow.
The fact that 6wx went ryu the whole Tourney

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Not one of my best matches, (I missed good opportunities in this one), but I at least I won. =P

FarsiX

Smash Rookie
Oh boy oh boy oh boy did I have fun making this trolltage.

Ryu is forever the funnest character in smash, least until papa Sakurai unleashes the focus nerf :( tell me what you guys think :)

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
http://www.twitch.tv/contibeastmode/v/10684042?t=2h42m10s

I'll be ripping off the clips and putting them in organized fashion on my youtube tomorrow but for now, this is the only way to see my games from last night. I have a total of 3 sets streamed.

This one, another at 3 hours 2 minutes 30 seconds

And another at 3 hours 46 minutes 0 seconds

I think I'm close to winning these locals around NJ. I'm consistently placing well. Seems my fault is on MU experience. Specifically at this one vs diddy. I have trouble not being safe enough versus the banana but working on it

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I admire your dedication to Ryu.Very few people are really putting in the work. Trela's probably the best, but you're my favorite up and coming. Whenever your most recent fights come out I know I'm going to see something new.

Also how do you like the 3 stock format for tournaments? And I really liked Conti's Diddy too.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
http://www.twitch.tv/contibeastmode/v/10684042?t=2h42m10s

I'll be ripping off the clips and putting them in organized fashion on my youtube tomorrow but for now, this is the only way to see my games from last night. I have a total of 3 sets streamed.

This one, another at 3 hours 2 minutes 30 seconds

And another at 3 hours 46 minutes 0 seconds

I think I'm close to winning these locals around NJ. I'm consistently placing well. Seems my fault is on MU experience. Specifically at this one vs diddy. I have trouble not being safe enough versus the banana but working on it
Gonna be totally honest.

The difference between South Jersey and North Jersey is like heaven and earth in terms of skill.

Start going to North Jersey stuff bro. You will be much stronger for it.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Gonna be totally honest.

The difference between South Jersey and North Jersey is like heaven and earth in terms of skill.

Start going to North Jersey stuff bro. You will be much stronger for it.
You think so? I know Jerseys got a strong showing of skill but figured it was the same everywhere. It's very discouraging not having placed top 3 yet but working harder everyday. Idk what else to do in north jersey except the break weekly. I did eclipsamus at hitbox and got 9th of 52. I could try doing more tournaments out there

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I admire your dedication to Ryu.Very few people are really putting in the work. Trela's probably the best, but you're my favorite up and coming. Whenever your most recent fights come out I know I'm going to see something new.

Also how do you like the 3 stock format for tournaments? And I really liked Conti's Diddy too.
I like 3 stocks better for locals. I understand why we do 2 stocks for regional and national tournaments due to time constraints but if you have 50 or below entrants and a venue for 6+ hours than 3 stocks is the way to go. 2 stocks is very unforgiving if you were to SD or get PK Thunder gimped for example. The games comeback percentage is so low. Whoever gets the first kill has so much advantage and in a 2 stock scenario, it's very difficult to bring that back. That said, I'm fine either way but the 2 locals I go to a lot in south jersey do 3 stocks and I enjoy it.

Also, thanks! I'm putting all my time into the character and I'll set out to prove I will be the best with him. Trela probably is the best with him right now with the results he's getting now. EmblemLord certainly can't be slept on either and 6WX won a tourney with him recently. That said, I think I know the most about the character and what he can do though I may not utilize it as well as others do/are. Though, there's so much to be learned from every Ryu player since there's so many ways to play him

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yo...**** 2 stocks.

Seriously.

And as far as North NJ competition is concerned, its really just because all of NJ's top players live in north jersey aside from tweek.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Here's some recent videos of 9B in Japan who was considered the best Ice Climbers in the world and basically invented IC's metagame in Brawl and was the most impressive Shulk I'd seen back in February and now it seems he's an awesome Ryu. Doesn't use FADC that much though.

vs Peach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCVqZXI6hIY
vs Cpt. Falcon <-Hype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzFodPdlS3s
vs Alph
https://youtu.be/djAcqsukoy4?t=1m2s
@ Baskerville Baskerville This is a good one but it was already posted.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Just won my first NJ local all Ryu. I'll post the vids if I can nab them :)

PairODucks

Smash Rookie
How can I improve my game against Ryu?
Well I'm going to offer advice for both megaman and ryu considering this is the ryu forum : )

Megaman:

Rather than using lemons for the majority of the neutral, focus on getting a metal blade in hand. JCT the MB into a grab at low percents, go for dthrow into upair/fair (bair might also work on ryu as he falls fairly fast and has a big hurtbox) to get that early %. Ryu gets juggled easily, so upair strings work pretty well. Throwing out laggy moves like fsmash is very dangerous, if you get read, or even if you just misread, you die. Try to bait out ryu's attacks, and punish. Also try and get a MB in hand and go for kill combos off of JCTing it (eg JCT -> bair)

Ryu:

Despite Ryu not being a rushdown character, this is what you need to do against megaman, as he loses to rushdown *hard*. His safest tool up close is lemons. Uptilt and dtilt are laggy, all smashes are very laggy, none of upair,bair,fair,dair autocancel on short hop. So that leaves lemons which really aren't that safe, after the last shot, there are 28 frames in which megaman can only jump and walk. He can't attack, grab, shield, roll, spot dodge, air dodge, ledge grab, or run. So ryu's goal here is to block the last lemon (or just take the 1.8%), and approach. If you are close enough to potentially land a hit, try and read whether megaman will walk, short hop, or full hop, and in what direction, and punish accordingly. Don't let megaman get a metal blade in hand, as it gives him combos into grabs at low percents and into kills at higher percents, and throwing a metal blade is by far megaman's safest up close neutral tool.

Last edited:

GX2

Smash Rookie

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Hello my name is GX2. I have been using Ryu since he came out and i would greatly appreciate some input to take my Ryu to the next level. Here are some videos of matches i have played in Gainesville:

(fast foward to 4:26 because i tried fox first)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOXz90HBZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypj4XVVtAQ

(in this one i was apart of a Jacksonville vs Gainesville crew battle skip to 17:38)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkd4B90QSlo
Glad to hear of another competitive Ryu! And better yet one in a competitive area. So I only watched the match with M2K out of interest. I can watch the other one later if like my input. I'm on my way out the door but your issue seemed to be lack of thought sometimes. You had some good positioning but I saw too much "I think this will work" situations. Like say you FH at him and Nair but he's not there anymore. You need to anticipate his options and where he'll be. The FA game is good but pretty reckless. Try some setups. Like when ledge guarding, stand in between roll distance and getup and charge FA. React and release of they do either one. If they jump, dash away.

Like I said, I can write more later if you want. Hopefully someone else will pick up my slack now

GX2

Smash Rookie
Glad to hear of another competitive Ryu! And better yet one in a competitive area. So I only watched the match with M2K out of interest. I can watch the other one later if like my input. I'm on my way out the door but your issue seemed to be lack of thought sometimes. You had some good positioning but I saw too much "I think this will work" situations. Like say you FH at him and Nair but he's not there anymore. You need to anticipate his options and where he'll be. The FA game is good but pretty reckless. Try some setups. Like when ledge guarding, stand in between roll distance and getup and charge FA. React and release of they do either one. If they jump, dash away.

Like I said, I can write more later if you want. Hopefully someone else will pick up my slack now
Thanks for the input i really do appreciate it and by all means check our the other vids

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
GX2 here again, i have another video for you guys to critique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8SN9u_OUY
All these thoughts are in chronological order. Hope it helps!

-NO dreamland. Ban it, Ban it every time. So bad for Ryu but that's explained another time
-You had the right idea in neutral, jigglypuff, though designed to space people out really doesn't have good moves for it and we beat her easily with aerials. You reset the neutral when the situation was sticky and i like that
-You didn't get shield heavy either which is good since the guy liked side b
-You waste your jump off stage and I cringe, KEEP YOUR JUMP. Never jump off stage unless you're jumping into a shoryuken to return from down low. Like never. You did it twice that match and they both leave you in a vulnerable postion. Work on mixing up your recovery with FADC, tatsu, hadouken, and jump shory. You should recovery a majority of the time with shoryuken because its much harder to punish than tatsu which leaves you a sitting duck...and wasting your jump off stage is the worst thing you can do as Ryu. Our recovery is amazing but relies on saving our jump
-The thought with Hftilt is nice and i like your reads with it
-tatsu game one was a pretty random read and one that leaves you super open. Yeah you got it, but generally speaking tatsu on stage is not a good option. Talk to Blink and he might make a case for tech chasing or an OOS option if you perfect shield a projectile but thats it
-Against this guy you should actually be a bit more shieldy. He never grabs and he's all over the place with aerials not really spacing but just throwing hits out. In a way he forced you to do the same. Someone walking around and shielding might have yielded you easy punishes instead of trying to swat him out of the air (which is still a viable strategy lol)
-Like the commentator said, don't fish for shoryukens super hard. It will ruin your Ryu if you become too reliant and fishy for a shory kill. There are other kill options and plenty of ways to kill your opponent too. If you have a raw shoryuken read, make sure there's a platform above your head first or else make sure you combo into it

Last edited:

GX2

Smash Rookie
All these thoughts are in chronological order. Hope it helps!

-NO dreamland. Ban it, Ban it every time. So bad for Ryu but that's explained another time
-You had the right idea in neutral, jigglypuff, though designed to space people out really doesn't have good moves for it and we beat her easily with aerials. You reset the neutral when the situation was sticky and i like that
-You didn't get shield heavy either which is good since the guy liked side b
-You waste your jump off stage and I cringe, KEEP YOUR JUMP. Never jump off stage unless you're jumping into a shoryuken to return from down low. Like never. You did it twice that match and they both leave you in a vulnerable postion. Work on mixing up your recovery with FADC, tatsu, hadouken, and jump shory. You should recovery a majority of the time with shoryuken because its much harder to punish than tatsu which leaves you a sitting duck...and wasting your jump off stage is the worst thing you can do as Ryu. Our recovery is amazing but relies on saving our jump
-The thought with Hftilt is nice and i like your reads with it
-tatsu game one was a pretty random read and one that leaves you super open. Yeah you got it, but generally speaking tatsu on stage is not a good option. Talk to Blink and he might make a case for tech chasing or an OOS option if you perfect shield a projectile but thats it
-Against this guy you should actually be a bit more shieldy. He never grabs and he's all over the place with aerials not really spacing but just throwing hits out. In a way he forced you to do the same. Someone walking around and shielding might have yielded you easy punishes instead of trying to swat him out of the air (which is still a viable strategy lol)
-Like the commentator said, don't fish for shoryukens super hard. It will ruin your Ryu if you become too reliant and fishy for a shory kill. There are other kill options and plenty of ways to kill your opponent too. If you have a raw shoryuken read, make sure there's a platform above your head first or else make sure you combo into it
Thanks again for your input. it always great to have a second opinion.
I will have more videos soon

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Solid Ryu man. I only have a couple things to note in your playstyle.
You gotta use more of your aerials. Nair is like your best friend and I hardly saw you use it.
Don't throw out aerial just to throw it out, do it when you know it will hit your opponent if you know what I mean.
You also seem to have a hard time killing at high percents. You have to get that hit confirm of either jab 1, L utilt x2, L dtilt x2 into true shoryu. Other than that your fine man. Maybe use more hados/shakus, but that's just how I play.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Alright so here's 5 games from a pretty stacked local the other day. I won against keitaro, arson, and false and got obliterated 3-0 by blue and jamez. Critique for my my play, ryu, habits is super appreciated. If not then they're here for your enjoyment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdR9oWQ7rt0 - vs. LoF Keitaro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbxSBKHx_5s - vs. BCO Arson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEFtDSdeog - vs. LoF False
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9YmEOhTIo - vs. LoF Blue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIopLNn5GQ - vs. DMG Jamez

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I imagine your matches with Keitaro and Arson looked much like my own I wont comment.

Match vs False basically proved that ZSS is not allowed to whiff anything or take any risks. Ryu might win that idk.

Jamez imo is super solid. Ryu vs Luigi imo is even. The better player will win.

Blue you just kinda did stuff and got hit.

It seems like your training is paying off. Now your fundamentals have become solid to the point where your actual Ryu knowledge is showing and you arent just fishing for combo hits all day. I'm seeing alot of interesting stuff from you that I like. All I can say is that you are making great progress. Just gotta iron out some matches and still not be so hungry to get a hit in.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I imagine your matches with Keitaro and Arson looked much like my own I wont comment.

Match vs False basically proved that ZSS is not allowed to whiff anything or take any risks. Ryu might win that idk.

Jamez imo is super solid. Ryu vs Luigi imo is even. The better player will win.

Blue you just kinda did stuff and got hit.

It seems like your training is paying off. Now your fundamentals have become solid to the point where your actual Ryu knowledge is showing and you arent just fishing for combo hits all day. I'm seeing alot of interesting stuff from you that I like. All I can say is that you are making great progress. Just gotta iron out some matches and still not be so hungry to get a hit in.
Yes! Literally nailed it on the head and what I've been really focusing on recently. Being safer, methodical, and not sacrificing the neutral for a greedy aerial combo starter. Thank you and yes I'm on the same page with the luigi MU. I play with Jamez all the time and he is the better player but has been helping me a lot with what you just said. Blue was decent round 1 but once he realized i didn't know how to deal with spin dash he abused it. I think Ryu's nair would do well there and i just had to be smarter not trying to hit it with bairs, dairs, avoiding spring and whatnot

Again, thanks for critique!

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
You did the raw F-Tilt, which is all I could ever hope for.

I do think that you take damage you don't need to take when you focus attack at times. I loved everything else.
Also, I think sonic is a terrible match-up too. I play Ryu and ZSS so I think Ryu beats her (if you don't overextend).

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
You did the raw F-Tilt, which is all I could ever hope for.

I do think that you take damage you don't need to take when you focus attack at times. I loved everything else.
Also, I think sonic is a terrible match-up too. I play Ryu and ZSS so I think Ryu beats her (if you don't overextend).
Ok. Yeah Focus Attack is always being worked on. Trying to perfect it. The Ftilt wasn't too raw actually! I noticed that Jamez was being super aggro. After I spaced a Bair and depleted some of his shield I knew there was a good chance he'd rush me and power shield. I'm not sold on the sonic MU yet. I think I just did really poor trying to beat him out of spin dash with aerials but we'll see with more practice. Thank you!

Top Bottom