• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Akuma is Watching! - The Ryu Video Thread and Critique Thread

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
What's UGC? It's just my local. Twitch stream name is JustSmashingTV. Tweek is only big name that attends
UGC is my local tourney place. It also takes place on a Saturday so I assumed you were going there.
Well I'll try to get some may he's as well from that day.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFPpxI5pSI

It's a German youtuber, and the Ryu-player is actually his opponent (the youtuber is playing Lucas) in the first 3 matches, but damn that Ryu was already quite a show (imho). If it annoys you you cannot understand what the guy is saying, just mute it an let the street-fighter theme play or something X)

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFPpxI5pSI

It's a German youtuber, and the Ryu-player is actually his opponent (the youtuber is playing Lucas) in the first 3 matches, but damn that Ryu was already quite a show (imho). If it annoys you you cannot understand what the guy is saying, just mute it an let the street-fighter theme play or something X)
It felt as though he was not really utilizing Ryu's combo abilities. He was playing a defensive punish game for the most part. He does know how to Ryu and probably could do better if he went a little more agro, that's how I see it. His recovery options were smooth and nice for the most part and I liked his placement of Hadokens. If the Lucas player was a little better I would say the Ryu would have a harder time. None the less good stuff.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Some matches from yesterday vs :4marth:
Some self critiques, I saw how many missed opportunities I had to seal a stock, landing an FA2/3 gives us plenty of time to react, especially when you land it close and dash forward through them. My constant jump in nair approach wasn't getting shield grabbed so I just kept at it, I was really tryna practice comboing nair into cr lk. I also feel I should start using FA(DC) more at earlier percents for big damage combos and mind games, esp against the sword fighters.

first video shows srk invincible awesomeness.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Some self critiques, I saw how many missed opportunities I had to seal a stock, landing an FA2/3 gives us plenty of time to react, especially when you land it close and dash forward through them. My constant jump in nair approach wasn't getting shield grabbed so I just kept at it, I was really tryna practice comboing nair into cr lk. I also feel I should start using FA(DC) more at earlier percents for big damage combos and mind games, esp against the sword fighters.

Nice videos!
The first video was a nice comeback. You could have prevented the loss of your first stick as well though. Given that Ryu pretty bad air speed try to input an ariel when recovering near the ledge, you won't be able to recover just like your first stock. I also wanna mention that you were kinda fishin for the kill In the first video. If you can't get your opponent in d-tilt range just play a little bit of a neutral hadoken game and let him come to you and that's when you can get him. I'd like to see more FADC's in the air and when recovering, but that's your choice if you wanna mix it up like that or not. Game two was much better. To me it seemed like you were not really playing agro or deffensive, something in between. Take my tips if you will, it's up to you and keep up the good work.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Nice videos!
The first video was a nice comeback. You could have prevented the loss of your first stick as well though. Given that Ryu pretty bad air speed try to input an ariel when recovering near the ledge, you won't be able to recover just like your first stock. I also wanna mention that you were kinda fishin for the kill In the first video. If you can't get your opponent in d-tilt range just play a little bit of a neutral hadoken game and let him come to you and that's when you can get him. I'd like to see more FADC's in the air and when recovering, but that's your choice if you wanna mix it up like that or not. Game two was much better. To me it seemed like you were not really playing agro or deffensive, something in between. Take my tips if you will, it's up to you and keep up the good work.
I appreciate your feedback and tips, I take mental note of them. A lot of my early games with new characters are focused on a certain task like landing a certain combo, or securing a KO with a jab confirm SRK. Mos def need to incorporate more air FA(DC)'s into a nair or something. Oh yea first stock i air dodged at ledge lol. dee dee deeeee

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
This 9% to death combo I pulled off. Ryu can be so awesome.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice

That f*cking counter at the end, though. I'm trying to work up my reactions to be on point like that, but playing on FG (on the 3DS, at that) isn't too much of a helper.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
That f*cking counter at the end, though. I'm trying to work up my reactions to be on point like that, but playing on FG (on the 3DS, at that) isn't too much of a helper.
Ha I wouldn't worry about that. To be honest im super super doubtful he meant to do that though it is cool. Something that certainly is possible to react too but he was probably just going for dtilt, dtilt, shory anyhow

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872

•Roll less. You give up vital positioning almost every time you roll. Read your opponent, know their options.
•You want to try and control center stage. You had your back to the edge a lot, which is bad stage positioning
•Practice those input Specials!

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
•Roll less. You give up vital positioning almost every time you roll. Read your opponent, know their options.
•You want to try and control center stage. You had your back to the edge a lot, which is bad stage positioning
•Practice those input Specials!
Agree bad roll habits. Center stage, makes sense, got it. Input specials by themselves I can do all day, but xx into, my fingers move too fast so I mess up haha. Need more fightstick. Gonna slow my inputs down and go by visual cue, see if that improves combos.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
This is some day 1 footage of me against a few different opponents.
Vs. Ike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40-iOLgR3Y8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltmhne35yMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ViKm45ItU

In a Free For All
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5u400OxP-M

Vs. Roy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6zPrs-IVU

Ryu Mirror (This is on Palutena's temple, watch for fun.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRfMrY6qHw

The matches have about a minute of dead time at the end of them, not sure why.

The second match vs Ike I spike him all four stocks and get some decent combos in. Overall I wouldn't say any of this gameplay is super impressive, but I think I did alright. I'll try to upload some better footage in the future.

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I have my local tomorrow (technically today) and plan on using only Ryu so last minute critique is appreciated. These are games taken from me and my friend who's a pretty good player (also a new robin user). Ignore my SDs and using jab over tilts which i realize is a problem. Also my FA punishes are bad sometimes and i realize. Thanks in advance for critique!

Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 1/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 2/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 3/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 4/4

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
I have my local tomorrow (technically today) and plan on using only Ryu so last minute critique is appreciated. These are games taken from me and my friend who's a pretty good player (also a new robin user). Ignore my SDs and using jab over tilts which i realize is a problem. Also my FA punishes are bad sometimes and i realize. Thanks in advance for critique!

Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 1/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 2/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 3/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. RiDEL (Robin) Game 4/4
First and foremost I wanna comment on your rolls. Near the beginning of game one the rolls were bad. It put you in bad positions. You seemed to get together after that though so just be wary of rolling. Instead FADC back as a means to better position yourself self. It can act as a pseudo wave-dash if you dash cancel very close to the ground after you jump. Depending on the matchups you will have tomorrow try to use Hadoken as a pressure tool not mainly for damage. There is a new thread on that made today I'm pretty sure, go and read up on that if you want. Also work on your shield breaking game. This will mainly develop the more you try to use it so its ok if doesn't always work. Also be careful of dair approaches. For the safety of your stock and for the possibly unknown matchup(if you come across one) go for the nair approaches instead. I like your FADC's in the air, really fluid. Just don't go in any random direction. Go in the position that will most benefit you. There's not much else to say man, your Ryu's looking nice. Ryu's new and your gonna need to give him some time in terms of meta, so that's the extent of my critique for now. Good Luck at your tournament, and try to get some recording from there to if you can.

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Game 1
Good shiet hooded, my only question is what were you going for from the utilt1 strings? You had at least 2 chances to tack on an extra 18% if you dp'd. Good stuff overall I like how you use fadc.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Game 1
Good shiet hooded, my only question is what were you going for from the utilt1 strings? You had at least 2 chances to tack on an extra 18% if you dp'd. Good stuff overall I like how you use fadc.
Thank you. Yeah that was yesterday games. I've practiced combos a bit but none of it is super fluent yet. I'm a combo oriented player so I try to get the most out of a hit so I'm just messing around with those for now. I won't resort straight to the DP finisher if I see something else to extend. It'll be more fluent with time and I accept that but know I'm practicing them. Thanks again! Local tourney tomorrow so I'll upload my matches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tVFuc-aduY&feature=youtu.be
Here is some nice shield breaking.
I will try to get some more vids up tomorrow, and I'll get some tourney matches as well.
I was making a lot of mistakes in this game, and it was a bit laggy tbh(no johns), but I still win.
Nice shield breakers, I did do a lot of shield breakers in my games and I feel it's very useful for Ryu. I like your last one. The roll to ftilt really can get the other player nervous. We've tested Dtilt spam to ftilt and grab release to ftilt as other setups that work nicely if they have a Shiek reaction

Last edited by a moderator:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Steezy, but you can be blown up at any point in time by a half-decent player.
blown up? It's a true combo if they miss the first tech. Everything else is true and inescapable....and teching that first part is hard unless expected which i found in my local tourney yesterday...most don't expect.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
blown up? It's a true combo if they miss the first tech. Everything else is true and inescapable....and teching that first part is hard unless expected which i found in my local tourney yesterday...most don't expect.
Some parts of it were true combos, but I feel like people with really fast reactions can tech or roll out a lot of the connects. I don't know. I wish I could test this myself.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Some parts of it were true combos, but I feel like people with really fast reactions can tech or roll out a lot of the connects. I don't know. I wish I could test this myself.
No....its all true lol. We have multiple people testing this stuff. I messed up on the second FA and didn't get off fast enough but definitely possible to hit that earlier. besides that, you CANNOT tech any of that besides the first down throw where they can tech the platform. they're called jab locks and prattacks to jab locks. the opponent can not do anything.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
No....its all true lol. We have multiple people testing this stuff. I messed up on the second FA and didn't get off fast enough but definitely possible to hit that earlier. besides that, you CANNOT tech any of that besides the first down throw where they can tech the platform. they're called jab locks and prattacks to jab locks. the opponent can not do anything.
Interesting. I'll try to download this and pull it off in my next live match. Not doubting you! Just want to see for myself. :)

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Interesting. I'll try to download this and pull it off in my next live match. Not doubting you! Just want to see for myself. :)
no worries mate. but yes please look up prattacks and jab locks. Both pretty cool and part of Ryus game

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Does "prattacks" mean platform attacks?
don't know if the pr stands for platform but its just attacks that can send opponents to slide off platforms into an untechable state, soft hit of Ryu's nair is a prattack up to about 60%.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 1/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 2/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 3/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 4/4

These are some offline friendlies with training buddy and doubles partner. I just don't see many...or any games of competitive Ryu players around so ill offer some. Critique is appreciated! I know most of my flaws and I'm working on them

If you don't want to watch these vids, at least watch the highlights at the beginning of game 2 and 2:16 of game 3. You won't be dissapointed

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 1/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 2/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 3/4
Hooded (Ryu) vs. AmpedUp (Meta Knight) Game 4/4

These are some offline friendlies with training buddy and doubles partner. I just don't see many...or any games of competitive Ryu players around so ill offer some. Critique is appreciated! I know most of my flaws and I'm working on them

If you don't want to watch these vids, at least watch the highlights at the beginning of game 2 and 2:16 of game 3. You won't be dissapointed
Ok so to start off I'm going to give the advice on your general play style. You do not have to take anything I say, it is just suggestions. (But I can tell you are an open minded person so it's all good.)
What I noticed a lot was your air dodging. You need to be mindful of where and when you air-dodge. I've seen you air-dodge near the ledge and this can be dangerous, in the way that you might not recover. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Also after throws you seem to put out the air-dodge, and sometimes you got punished for this. The way you can improve this or get better at air-dodging is to know your opponent's characters' grab combos and how they work. Once you know how it works, predict whether or not your opponent will predict your air-dodge and then air-dodge when it seems safe. (sorry if that sentence was confusing) The other aspect of your gameplay you should be checking is your placement of smash attacks. This sorta gets into ryu styled gameplay, but I think you should use that F-smash more often, than you do. FADCing backwards/forwards into f-smash (imo) is the most satisfying way to get the kill, and sometimes unexpected. The f-smash sorta bring you forward so a player who does not know this will be pretty startled when they get kicked in the face by Ryu.
Your overall Ryu playstyle has improved since day one no doubt. Your placement of hadokens is quite questionable and you should mainly use it to bait your opponent in, punishes, cover your opponents options. These are the few ways I use them, and of course they do not always work, but you should consider trying it like that. Not much else to say about the Ryu since it's just the very beginning and our Ryu's will develop over time. Good work m8 and keep it up!

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Ok so to start off I'm going to give the advice on your general play style. You do not have to take anything I say, it is just suggestions. (But I can tell you are an open minded person so it's all good.)
What I noticed a lot was your air dodging. You need to be mindful of where and when you air-dodge. I've seen you air-dodge near the ledge and this can be dangerous, in the way that you might not recover. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Also after throws you seem to put out the air-dodge, and sometimes you got punished for this. The way you can improve this or get better at air-dodging is to know your opponent's characters' grab combos and how they work. Once you know how it works, predict whether or not your opponent will predict your air-dodge and then air-dodge when it seems safe. (sorry if that sentence was confusing) The other aspect of your gameplay you should be checking is your placement of smash attacks. This sorta gets into ryu styled gameplay, but I think you should use that F-smash more often, than you do. FADCing backwards/forwards into f-smash (imo) is the most satisfying way to get the kill, and sometimes unexpected. The f-smash sorta bring you forward so a player who does not know this will be pretty startled when they get kicked in the face by Ryu.
Your overall Ryu playstyle has improved since day one no doubt. Your placement of hadokens is quite questionable and you should mainly use it to bait your opponent in, punishes, cover your opponents options. These are the few ways I use them, and of course they do not always work, but you should consider trying it like that. Not much else to say about the Ryu since it's just the very beginning and our Ryu's will develop over time. Good work m8 and keep it up!
Thanks a ton for taking a look again mate. Very helpful and this is just what i was looking for. You've definitely gave me things to think about especially with the air dodging which is what i was trying to pinpoint I'm still very...awkward with the hadukens lol since i keep randomly remembering in game "oh yeah, i have a projectile". I'll try to use them when i'm "supposed" to a bit better. Thanks again man!

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Got a couple more for you today. I believe I have a bit of a better handle on Ryu now than in my previous videos. I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable with him now.

Of course, opinions and critique always welcome. That's what we're here for. :)

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Got a couple more for you today. I believe I have a bit of a better handle on Ryu now than in my previous videos. I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable with him now.

Of course, opinions and critique always welcome. That's what we're here for. :)
wow great spikes! That was impressive. You have improved as well from your last couple of videos.
What I like about your Ryu is your placement of hadokens, they really are nice and get the opponent most the time.
What I would recommend is to not use SRK as much, and only as a kill option. I saw you use it multiple times at low percents and had you missed it would have spelled "punish". I think you should also watch your rolls at some points when the opponent gets near you. Don't panic just shield and see what the opponent does. You should also use that shield breaker more. Every time you got FA lvl2 shielded it would have been a perfect opportunity to shield break as a punish.
Overall great stuff, enjoyed watching the spikes and keep it up m8.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
wow great spikes! That was impressive. You have improved as well from your last couple of videos.
What I like about your Ryu is your placement of hadokens, they really are nice and get the opponent most the time.
What I would recommend is to not use SRK as much, and only as a kill option. I saw you use it multiple times at low percents and had you missed it would have spelled "punish". I think you should also watch your rolls at some points when the opponent gets near you. Don't panic just shield and see what the opponent does. You should also use that shield breaker more. Every time you got FA lvl2 shielded it would have been a perfect opportunity to shield break as a punish.
Overall great stuff, enjoyed watching the spikes and keep it up m8.
Hey, thanks man Yeah, I am a bit SRK happy, but that's literally the innate SF side of me since I'm so used to punishing things with that and throwing out lp SRK as frame traps, lol. But I do hear you, and actually gonna start using shield breaker more. I just never find any good setups to pull them off

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Hey, thanks man Yeah, I am a bit SRK happy, but that's literally the innate SF side of me since I'm so used to punishing things with that and throwing out lp SRK as frame traps, lol. But I do hear you, and actually gonna start using shield breaker more. I just never find any good setups to pull them off
try dtilt spam h ftilt that one works pretty reliable. I also think tomahawk spaced h ftilt might work. grab release may also work

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/user/CLASHTournaments/videos

I'm pretty sure some of you follow that channel, but there have been a LOT of Ryu mirrors posted 2 days ago (DLC mini-tournament), so i wanted to post it here. Just ignore the shoutcasters for that particular mini-tourney though, they seem to be *****. At least one of them.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Here's one match that I caught tonight. Still have a long way to go.

After the Dthrow you should have jumped forward and Fair. That usually combos at low percents

Nice Focus attack except I would have punished with Weak Utilt > True Shoryuken. That would do 35 Damage roughly.

Becareful with just throwing out SRKs. Had that falcon not attacked he could have punished with a Falcon punch, or any other strong move.

Dont abuse Focus too much you want them to be caught off guard when you use it.

Nice read on the Dash attack and punish with SRK.

Very Nice Sweetspot Dair.

Nice bait with FADC.

Seems like you are using hado's too often at this point. Falcon can easily blast though them when he suspects them.

Still using Focus attacks too much. It worked in this case but it should be something you guess it looks more like a habit.

it seems like you are throwing out aerials when you are in a bad situation. Remember you want to do something because you anticipate something from your opponent. If you're doing it without a reason it's something you shouldn't be doing.

You should use weak dtilt near the ledge and, due to it's great frame data, stop when you see your opponent doing something. This will let you shield or move out of the way and punish if possible.

Lol I have no words for that KOing Shoryuken.

Overall a nice job but you seem to throw out moves when in a bad situation, which is something you should never do. On top of that you don't seem to be utilizing Ryu's weak tilts, this might be because you are on the 3DS. With Focus attacks I would only use them after baiting the opponent or getting hard reads, which you did to your credit. Other than that I'd say you did well you used Fsmash when he got roll happy, Spiked him, landed some spot on hadokens.

Edit: not to diminish your victory but it seems that falcon wasn't super great. He wasn't using his speed to wave in and out and he rarely threw out a dash grab. He didn't space with Nair or Bair. Again most of your actions were good punishes but this falcon didn't look like the best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom