• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Akira Howard Enlists into Battle! (Astral Chain)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
It seems like Ultimate will not get another Season. It's not looking likely for the Howard Twins.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so anyone gonna touch on the fact that the recent presentation brings up an interesting point for us? cause if rex and pyra/mythra couldnt be on the stage constantly at the same time sure means we could get the legionis with the legion following them in a similar manner. although joker surely points out that temporary is fine is just all the time that would be the problem. so how would being able to summon a legion all the time affect the game's processing power?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
so anyone gonna touch on the fact that the recent presentation brings up an interesting point for us? cause if rex and pyra/mythra couldnt be on the stage constantly at the same time sure means we could get the legionis with the legion following them in a similar manner. although joker surely points out that temporary is fine is just all the time that would be the problem. so how would being able to summon a legion all the time affect the game's processing power?
I imagine that Legions would be mapped to Specials and Smashes maybe when you have a full Leigonis gauge. Though when its empty you can only attack as Akria. So in other words a reverse Joker.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Instead of being a physical model, he's an effect like Arsene. Easy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I imagine that Legions would be mapped to Specials and Smashes maybe when you have a full Leigonis gauge. Though when its empty you can only attack as Akria. So in other words a reverse Joker.
i like the sound of that

Instead of being a physical model, he's an effect like Arsene. Easy.
you realise arsene has a model programmed in right?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I think the reason why arsene was ok is that he cannot be interacted with (outside of providing additional hitboxes for joker) and is fully attached to joker. Meaning that the physics engine can ignore him and they dont need to include an AI for Arsene to react to various situations. So if the Legion is programmed in a similiar sense (meaning you either control akira or the the legion) that might work.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really loved Astral Chain and I think it would be awesome if the game got a character in Smash. The obvious choice that makes the most sense is the lead protagonist Akira Howard. Akira would definitely be a really cool character with a fun, unique playstyle. The main problem is that they would have the same issue as Rex and Pyra. If Sakurai couldn’t make Rex work, I don’t see how Akira would be any better. In fact, I don’t even think a similar compromise would work like it did for Pyra. Akira without their legion just feels kind of pointless.

Due to technical limitations, I think the next best choice for an Astral Chain rep is one of the main antagonists, Jena Anderson. Jena has a really awesome design and would have a much more straight forward but still really unique moveset that wouldn’t require controlling two characters at one. I also personally prefer her to Akira even though both are great.

How would people feel if we ended up with Jena instead of Akira similarly to how we got Pyra/Mythra over Rex? I would understand if most people were disappointed we got a major antagonist rather than the hero but would personally love it and Jena is actually one of my most wanted.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really loved Astral Chain and I think it would be awesome if the game got a character in Smash. The obvious choice that makes the most sense is the lead protagonist Akira Howard. Akira would definitely be a really cool character with a fun, unique playstyle. The main problem is that they would have the same issue as Rex and Pyra. If Sakurai couldn’t make Rex work, I don’t see how Akira would be any better. In fact, I don’t even think a similar compromise would work like it did for Pyra. Akira without their legion just feels kind of pointless.

Due to technical limitations, I think the next best choice for an Astral Chain rep is one of the main antagonists, Jena Anderson. Jena has a really awesome design and would have a much more straight forward but still really unique moveset that wouldn’t require controlling two characters at one. I also personally prefer her to Akira even though both are great.

How would people feel if we ended up with Jena instead of Akira similarly to how we got Pyra/Mythra over Rex? I would understand if most people were disappointed we got a major antagonist rather than the hero but would personally love it and Jena is actually one of my most wanted.
joker seems to imply that its being on screen full time thats the main problem so in theory so long as the legion isnt on stage the whole time it should be fine and no need to replace the main character with akira or jena. just have the legion appear for certain moves or appear when a gauge is full

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

How would people feel if we ended up with Jena instead of Akira similarly to how we got Pyra/Mythra over Rex? I would personally love it and Jena is actually one of my most wanted.
The answer would be to simply make it like Joker's Arsene or Zelda's Phantom, neither of which has any problems having 8 of which on at all times. Legions share a lot of similarities like being temporary, tied to the character, and in Arsene's case is completely intangible to enemy attacks. They could very easily make it work, even if it would require compromises.

As for Jena Anderson, if you want my honest opinion, I think that would be an incredibly disappointing character, personally. For me, the entire appeal of Astral Chain, what gives Astral Chain its identity, is its hard sci-fi law-enforcement aesthetic mixed with summoning monsters and fighting in conjunction with them. Jena Anderson checks off none of those boxes, doesn't really represent or reference gameplay in any way, and is honestly pretty forgettable, especially if the series continues past the first game.

So yeah, not a fan of the idea.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That’s a shame but totally understandable. It’s a pretty lonely existence being a bigger fan of most villains than protagonists lol. Jena, one of my favorites seems especially unpopular from what I’ve seen. Would you guys be opposed to getting Akira now and Jena in a future Smash or do you just not want her at all? I might just have to settle in asking for a mod of Jena over Corin.

I do agree that Akira should come first if they are technically possible despite me personally preferring her as a character to Akira. Akira does represent the gameplay style of Astral Chain a lot better than Jena. I was just saying that I would much rather have Jena than no character at all and would like to get her eventually as well.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Hi everybody. I haven’t been here in a while.

Now that we know that the idea of Pyra and Rex as a duo didn’t work out because of technical limitations I think its save to assume that certain ways of how Officer Howard could fight in smash won’t work (which is a shame. Some of them are very creative). I think the easiest way would be to handle the legion in a similar way to Zeldas phantom (like some have said already). Things like a simple slash attack (like one of its abilities) the chain jump or counter could easily work that way. Maybe have it appear in smash attacks as well. It would be much simpler, yes but it would stay true to Astral Chains gameplay (and I just want Officer Howard to be playable…).

And Jena becoming playable instead. Yeah, I agree I don’t like this either. She is a cool villain and all (although not perfect) but it would be an…head scratching move if it would happen. Now as a second playable character to represent the game? Sure, I’m all in.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
While I wouldn't prefer it, would it make sense to play as solely the Legion with Akira in the background a la Pokemon Trainer? Or play as the Legion as if it had broken free like it does in the game etc?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
While I wouldn't prefer it, would it make sense to play as solely the Legion with Akira in the background a la Pokemon Trainer? Or play as the Legion as if it had broken free like it does in the game etc?
Not a fan of it tbh. Officer Howard in the background like the Pokemon Trainer doesn't really make sense.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
The thread has been a little dead for a while. Anymore speculation?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Y'know, in hindsight i'm kind of surprised that, out of all characters from Astral Chain, we got Kyle as a spirit during AC's spirit event.
The twins are obvious and Lappy is a recurring character throughout the entire game...but than there is Kyle who, as far as I remember,
only appears in chapter 6.

Wouldn't someone like Olive, Max, or Yoseph have made more sense?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Y'know, in hindsight i'm kind of surprised that, out of all characters from Astral Chain, we got Kyle as a spirit during AC's spirit event.
The twins are obvious and Lappy is a recurring character throughout the entire game...but than there is Kyle who, as far as I remember,
only appears in chapter 6.

Wouldn't someone like Olive, Max, or Yoseph have made more sense?
i did seem quite random. maybe some on the smash team just liked him. or maybe hes really popular in japan

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Been playing a ton of Astral Chain recently and man, if nothing else, the twins would have awesome alts potential. The Raven Outfit, the Civilian clothes and the tons of clothing combinations make it hard to just pick 8 alts (or 4 technically since you would need 1 for both.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Been playing a ton of Astral Chain recently and man, if nothing else, the twins would have awesome alts potential. The Raven Outfit, the Civilian clothes and the tons of clothing combinations make it hard to just pick 8 alts (or 4 technically since you would need 1 for both.)
one of them is bound to be lappy id have thought

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I have a soft spot for the regular police/ neuron jacket. But the Raven Armor as a costume would be sick!

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
It's been a while since the last post

Hard to believe that it's been 2 years already.
With Nintendo now owning the IP and the game selling over a million copies, I really hope that we will get a sequel one day.
The Howard twins being the final character is unlikely at this point, but I'm still glad that Astral Chain got some representation in Smash with the spirit event.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's been a while since the last post

Hard to believe that it's been 2 years already.
With Nintendo now owning the IP and the game selling over a million copies, I really hope that we will get a sequel one day.
The Howard twins being the final character is unlikely at this point, but I'm still glad that Astral Chain got some representation in Smash with the spirit event.
what do you mean now owning?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
what do you mean now owning?
I second the question, I’m pretty sure Nintendo had the copyright to this game from the start. Maybe it was shared with Platinum? But they still owned it.
It's a somewhat popular rumor/theory that, in order to get The Wonderful 101 on other platforms, Platinum traded their ownership of Astral Chain for Nintendo's ownership of TW101, effectively meaning Nintendo wholly owns Astral Chain now. Of course, given how TW101 Remastered turned out, I think Nintendo got the better end of the deal...

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Odd because there are a few interviews where Platinum straight up says that they don’t own any of the IPs they worked on for Nintendo. And after W101 got greenlit for Kickstarter (got myself a copy) they refused to answer any questions about IP ownership. If they owned it why wouldn’t they just say so?

Also, the back of the box says Astral Chain is 2019 copyright Nintendo/PlatinumGames inc.

So Big N always owned it. Regardless though I do hope to see more from this franchise whether it falls under the first or second party umbrella

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's a somewhat popular rumor/theory that, in order to get The Wonderful 101 on other platforms, Platinum traded their ownership of Astral Chain for Nintendo's ownership of TW101, effectively meaning Nintendo wholly owns Astral Chain now. Of course, given how TW101 Remastered turned out, I think Nintendo got the better end of the deal...
yeah as hyrulehero says nintendo have been credited as owning it since it release and even the lead up to release iirc. going by what jocario zero says its more a case of platinum not owning now. more to the point didnt this happen sometime after 101hd came out?

Top Bottom