• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Akira Howard Enlists into Battle! (Astral Chain)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Here is a question; if Officer Howard got in; would you buy the Amiibo? :p

Back to my earlier questions; Stage entrance and Reveal Trailer; how you do want them?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I apparently never posted here before, huh? Well, I got and beat Astral Chain a couple of months ago, and loved it quite a bit. So I'm definitely in support of a character from the game making it into Smash.

Stage entrance; as in how would they enter a match?
Riding in on their motorcycle, duh.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I finished Astral Chain back in 2019, and I gotta say, I ****ing love the game. Also, Min Min officially destroyed the Spirits fan rule, so I can see Akira enter Smash. Also, a thief with a stand vs a cop with a stand, who wouldn’t want to see that?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, I still haven't finished Astral Chain. I just finished the main story. However, it is fun and I really like the Twins and their Legions.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I finished Astral Chain back in 2019, and I gotta say, I ****ing love the game. Also, Min Min officially destroyed the Spirits fan rule, so I can see Akira enter Smash. Also, a thief with a stand vs a cop with a stand, who wouldn’t want to see that?
stand?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
well it would seem theres a meaning of "stands" thats lost on me
Stands are beings from the manga/anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure who are summoned from people's souls and act as separate beings which the user uses to channel their powers. The most popular kind is one who is humanoid in shape and is able to punch you very very fast. the ARM legion is almost assuradly a reference to it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Stands are beings from the manga/anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure who are summoned from people's souls and act as separate beings which the user uses to channel their powers. The most popular kind is one who is humanoid in shape and is able to punch you very very fast. the ARM legion is almost assuradly a reference to it.
thatll be it

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd like to be added to the supporter list, please. I greatly enjoyed Astral Chain, and the MC sounds really fun in Smash. That being said, I'd like to point out that the main character is not Akira; That's their twin, and they start diverging pretty early on. If anything, they'll probably end up as Legionis or something, in a similar vein as Villager or Pokemon Trainer.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So here's the beginning of my Legionis moveset.

The LEGIONIS Unchains!
(For added effect, listen to this.)

The Legionis is a member of NEURON, an organization dedicated to and defending against the deadly Chimeras and their home, the alien Astral Plane. Living aboard the last bastion of humanity, the Ark, they are equiped with a form-changing X-Baton and the Legion, a converted Chimera bonded to them. Together, the Legionis and the Legion fight with such synchronization that they might as well be a single being.

The Legionis is a balanced fighter who is rather lackluster on their own. Their real strength comes from their Legionis, giving them power, range, and versatility. With their Legion out, they are arguably the best fighter in the game. However, the Legion can only stay out for so long, and the Legionis is quite vulnerable without it.

The Legionis' Fighter Ability is the Legion (Actually multiple Legions, being swapped around on a whim), as mentioned above. The two work somewhat like a mix of Joker and Rosalina,, with the Legion being a temporary summon, but can move and attack on it's own. Inputting an attack causes the Legionis and their Legion to attack in unison. Pressing the button again after a smash attack causes a follow-up attack, much like Min Min's Dragon lasers. It should be noted that special moves can be performed even without the Legion out.

The Legion requires the Legion Gauge to function. When the Legion is out, their Legion Gauge slowly drains, and said gauge decreases when the Legion is hit. When the Legion is recalled, the gauge begins to refill. When the gauge runs out, the Legion disappears, leaving the Legionis vulnerable until it refills. The Legion Gauge maxes out at 200.

Specials
  • Neutral Special - Blaster: The Legionis fires up to three shots from their blaster in rapid succession. Holding the button causes them to fire a single powerful shot that explodes on contact. While the Legion is out, it will switch to the Arrow Legion and fire an arrow alongside its master's shots.
  • Side Special - Legion Throw: The Legionis throws their Legion forth. While it deals some damage, it's main purpose is to posistion the Legion forward. The Legion's distance can be increased by inputting the move as a smash attack. Pressing the button again after the move is performed causes the Legionis to pull themselves to their Legion, and performing the input a second time while the two are separated causes the Legion to come back to it's master.
  • Up Special - Legion Jump: The Legion flies upwards and pulls it's master after it. Can be angled slightly with the control stick.
  • Down Special - Hit Rush: The Legionis unchains their Legion, turning them into a CPU-controlled character who attacks wildly. This can deal some heavy damage and allows for some unique and flashy combos, but the Legionis is left without their Legion until the gauge runs out, meaning that using it wrong can prove to be fatal.
  • Shield Special - Summon Legion: The Legionis activates or deactivates their Legion. To represent the grounded gameplay of Astral Chain, the Legionis cannot use this move in the air.
  • FINAL SMASH - Legionic Fusion: The Legionis shoves the core of their Legion into their chest, transforming into a monstrous fusion of human and Legion. They then rush forward, delivering a vicious series of attacks to whoever is unfortunate enough to stand in their way.
Note that alts of both genders can be selected, with the female being the default.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I finally got around to beating Astral Chain this week and really enjoyed it. I think Akira Howard would make for a really fun Smash character. I also really love the design of Jena Anderson and would love seeing her get in as well. I’m surprised there isn’t more support for an Astral Chain than there is. Akira seems like a perfect fit.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I'm playing this game for the first time and I would like to be added to the support list. I think these two would make a great character, The Akira's can be echos of each other.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I feel they will go with Legionis since Akira is used to describe the sibling you don't play as
I don't think so, they'd probably use Akira for both. Legionis is too vague. The same way they've used Link as a name, despite him being nameless in most games, and them not going with Hero of Light as his name.

Akira is still my number 1 wanted character. Such an original new IP, great gameplay, sold amazingly well and that was before the pandemic, so why not give it a go? And the spirit event was suspicious; no professor? No Jena? No extra Legion bar those depicted with the twins? They went with Kyle? Now I'm not one to falsely hope after a spirits event, but the selection seems unrepresentative, and we've seen with Min-Min how spirits can be later added to a fighter's series...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think so, they'd probably use Akira for both. Legionis is too vague. The same way they've used Link as a name, despite him being nameless in most games, and them not going with Hero of Light as his name.

Akira is still my number 1 wanted character. Such an original new IP, great gameplay, sold amazingly well and that was before the pandemic, so why not give it a go? And the spirit event was suspicious; no professor? No Jena? No extra Legion bar those depicted with the twins? They went with Kyle? Now I'm not one to falsely hope after a spirits event, but the selection seems unrepresentative, and we've seen with Min-Min how spirits can be later added to a fighter's series...
Link wasn't given to any character but the main protagonist, though. Akira was given to a character who is clearly not the player, and they didn't use the name Akira for the Spirits, either. The Astral Chain MC is a fully customizable character meant to be a self-insert, much like the Inklings, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager, and doesn't have a canon name, so chances are they'd use what their occupation is rather than an actual name.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd go with "Officer Howard". That is what your character truly is referred to throughout Astral Chain. "Legionis" is just the Title you are given.
Yeah, that works too. I mainly call them Legionis because Smash usually seems to refer to avatars by what they are (i.e. Inkling, Villager, Pokemon Trainer), but I could also see them being using their surname instead.

In that scenario, I think that would make them the first Smash character to be primarily referred to by their last name. Doesn't change much, but it's an interesting little tidbit.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, that works too. I mainly call them Legionis because Smash usually seems to refer to avatars by what they are (i.e. Inkling, Villager, Pokemon Trainer), but I could also see them being using their surname instead.

In that scenario, I think that would make them the first Smash character to be primarily referred to by their last name. Doesn't change much, but it's an interesting little tidbit.
to be fair a lot of them don't have surnames

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
After putting Astral Chain down to beat Three Houses back in October 2019, I finally got around to picking it back up in the past fortnight and just completed it.

Overall really good game I'd love to see expand into a sequel/franchise.

Beast Legion ended up being my favourite in the end, especially as I discovered during the final boss that riding it can temporarily make you immortal which, given how much of a damage sponge the final boss was and how many insanely powerful attacks were fired my way was a lifesaver...just wish I'd discovered that prior to losing 5 hearts and being down to my last one. Oof.

The Howard twins for Smash though. Please give us a Lappy alt or Mii costume at least though, it's too perfect.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Beast Legion ended up being my favourite in the end, especially as I discovered during the final boss that riding it can temporarily make you immortal which, given how much of a damage sponge the final boss was and how many insanely powerful attacks were fired my way was a lifesaver...just wish I'd discovered that prior to losing 5 hearts and being down to my last one. Oof.
why is it i only ever learn these things long after ive beaten a game?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
As much as I'd love a Lappy costume; I think the costume would increase the Hit box too much. It is a massive costume.
I dunno, with the proportions for Miis it could work pretty well, I think.
. . .Assuming of course that you are talking about Miis? If you mean as a palette swap for Akira, then yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

does it increase the hit box in astral chain?
I don't think it does, but the thing is pretty big. So if it were a palette swap in Smash, that could lead to either some deceptive hurtboxes, or make them needlessly bigger.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think it does, but the thing is pretty big. So if it were a palette swap in Smash, that could lead to either some deceptive hurtboxes, or make them needlessly bigger.
arent there a few of those in smash already?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
If we get an Officer Howard costume I hope it's available for both the gunner and swordfighter so we can have both the baton and gun usable. Also for Lappy it wouldn't be impossible to size the proportions down for a decent Brawler costume

Top Bottom