• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Akira Howard Enlists into Battle! (Astral Chain)

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
As someone who’s a big Bayonetta fan, should I get Astral Chain? Or should I wait for a sale?

I’m a bit tight on moola so I can either get this or Dragon Quest this month.
To describe Astral Chain's gameplay, I would call it a mix between Bayonetta and Nier: Automata with a bit of The Wonderful 101. If you're big fan of Bayonetta and Character Action games or the output of Platinum, go for it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As someone who’s a big Bayonetta fan, should I get Astral Chain? Or should I wait for a sale?

Well Dragon Quest 11's demo has 10 hours of gameplay and can taken on to the main game after purchase so I'd say buy Astral Chain and then once done play the demo while waiting for disposable income to build again

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i had a thought, the stages have gotten really full of extra details, full of secrets and what have you, so wouldnt it be a nice touch if in the background of the astral chain stage there was hidden toilet, just like in the game

GolisoPower

Smash Master
i had a thought, the stages have gotten really full of extra details, full of secrets and what have you, so wouldnt it be a nice touch if in the background of the astral chain stage there was hidden toilet, just like in the game
I can imagine there being a few cats scattered here and there too, just like in the game.

Chaos_Knight

Smash Cadet

Do you want this new IP to have a future after having praised success? If yes, then buy this game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
whelp ive finished the game, what a finale battle, makes me want to see the legionis in smash more

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I saw the whole game even though I said I wouldn’t.

Well I’m going to be updating the OP soon.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don't think we're getting first-party, but if we do, it would likely be outside of fighter passes, and Akira Howard would be among the most likely. Alongside Rex & Pyra, Byleth, and a Sword/Shield Pokemon.

I just finished Astral Chain yesterday, and man it was such a good game. I really hope they to come Smash eventually.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Astral Chain has been doing pretty well and has gotten a lot of good press, really impressive for a brand new IP honestly.

Tbh I think Akira would make a lot of sense for a variety of reasons, I think they actually have a pretty good chance as DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What I hope above all else in terms of including Akira, is actually that the accompanying stage is Harmony Square. I love the aesthetic, makes me miss Tokyo. No stage we have so far is nearly neon enough. :colorful:

But my guess, knowing Sakurai, is there'd be some "normal" stage, like Harmony Square or somewhere else, but then it transitions into the Astral Plane, and eventually back to the starting location. Sort of like the Reset Bomb Forest.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Hey :D
Here are the music tracks I would personnaly choose to appear in Smash alongside our protagonists :
Stage : Harmony Square Station/Astral Plane
Selection :
-Savior
-Harmony Square Station (Normal and Combat phase mashup)
-Astral Plane (Normal and Combat phase mashup)
-Awakening (REMIX)
-Invaders from another world
-Task Force Neuron (REMIX)
-The Holy Order of the Digital Hermit
-Dark Hero (Male and Female mashup)
-Jena~Rebellion and Salvation
-The Only One (REMIX)
-The Answer

Last edited:

Chaos_Knight

Smash Cadet
Hey :D
Here are the music tracks I would personnaly choose to appear in Smash alongside our protagonists :
-Jena~Rebellion and Salvation
Personally, I would replace that track with the first theme aka the reveal trailer theme.

If Akira Howard does somehow get in, I hope we get Lappy as one of the alt costumes.

Unlikely I know but come on pardners.
I would love a Mii costume for all three classes.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would replace that track with the first theme aka the reveal trailer theme.
Yeah but IMO this track is better than the trailer theme.
It even features a remixed part from it with violins that gives me shills EVERYTIME.
Anyway they probably would choose the first one though because it's not THAT spoilery and is a theme heard in the original trailer...

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Finished Astral Chain, and OH MY GOD WHAT AN AMAZING GAME
Platinum Game did a fantastic job, and although a lot of story questions remain unanwsered for now it makes me incredibly excited for sequels :D
Now I'm super MEGA motivated to do a moveset concept for our Legionis, and overall Astral Chain representation.
I just need to find the time to do it, just like I did with my Professor Layton moveset ^^
(also that final boss WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS, but it was genuinely the first time in YEARS I ever had trouble with a final boss (without counting the one from Octopath Traveler which I still haven't beat lol) and I'm kinda glad, but kinda scared 'cause now I need to fight it again in extreme mode YIKES)

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Having played through the game, I definitely agree with the support here, to the point that I made an account just to support it. It's a very innovative IP, full of unique charm, excellent soundtrack, and since it seems to be selling quite well, that would be a very smart decision for Nintendo to push their new titles even more. So spoilers ahead, I'll be talking about the movesets I can see in the character.

In term of moveset, I'm torn. I could see two main design directions, one of which is the already heavily mentioned Ice Climbers/Luma type with a semi controllable Legion.

But I'm personally not a big fan of the gimmicks introduced by more recent fighters. Fighters can be innovative without having entirely new mechanics. So I could very well see a more orthodox moveset based on the X-Baton for move variety of the physical attacks (side smash is the glaive, up smash is the gun, normal combos are the baton, etc), and apparitions of the legions in things like special attacks and smash attacks. The Axe Legion gives a nice down-B with his counter/shield, I could see an arrow as a neutral-B, and side-B could be a chain wrap/stun, or a legion dash. Or you could see the legions appear during smash attacks much like how Bayoneta has those summoned limbs smash for her, so with a side-smash being the Sword legion dashing out, up-smash with the Arrow or Beast legions doing something, down-smash with the Arm legion spinning, etc... And the final smash to me is obvious, it's also the most epic move you can use in the game, even if it is a spoiler in some way. Anyways, that would maintain the aesthetics and personality of the character while making it very Smash compatible.

Also, I could see Echo fighter potential... I don't know how they plan to deal with Echo fighters from now on, if it's limited to those few or if future fighters could be released in duos, but let's say team Raven would make for a good candidate (although I guess it'd probably be a skin).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So apparently there's a rumor going around that the next DLC character is going to be a tag team character, similar to the Ice Climbers (I believe someone noticed some changed data related to solo Popo and solo Nana, but I don't know the details). I know it's not likely given the DLC so far, but do you guys think this could help Akira's chances?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So apparently there's a rumor going around that the next DLC character is going to be a tag team character, similar to the Ice Climbers (I believe someone noticed some changed data related to solo Popo and solo Nana, but I don't know the details). I know it's not likely given the DLC so far, but do you guys think this could help Akira's chances?
Wasn’t that just a mod for the game, though?

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I just got this game for Christmas and started playing it tonight. I am really enjoying so far! Just need to get used to the combat system and controls. Astral Chain looks beautiful and the gameplay is excellent. The only thing that feels weird is either of the twins is named Akira and the other is nameless. Besides that, they have potential for a terrific moveset. Sign me up for the support list. I can't wait to dive more into this game.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oy RandomAce RandomAce you plan on updating the thread anytime soon? Like, it's 2020 now...
Sorry for responding late.

Unfortunately, dealing with school and more responsibilities prevented me from having time to make responsibilities meet and remaking the OP takes lots of time and with this thread having much less traction than my other thread I haven’t prioritized it. I’ve actually been scheduling to remake this thread soon during the break so I should be able to start working on it during the weekend.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Been playing a bunch of Astral Chain lately and this game has me absolutely entranced. The beautiful art style, the incredible music, the awesome investigation and combat mechanics...I'm hooked. Even before I played the game I thought about how much Officer Howard would bring to smash and now that I'm a few files in they're right underneath Style Savvy as one of my most-wanted first-parties. I should update my signature.

Put me on the list!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Been playing a bunch of Astral Chain lately and this game has me absolutely entranced. The beautiful art style, the incredible music, the awesome investigation and combat mechanics...I'm hooked. Even before I played the game I thought about how much Officer Howard would bring to smash and now that I'm a few files in they're right underneath Style Savvy as one of my most-wanted first-parties. I should update my signature.

Put me on the list!
i admire the sheer uniqueness of your list

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Considering it was a new Nintendo IP (new IPs are hard to get off the ground) and a Platinum-developed game (which have historically been well-received but sold poorly outside of a few notable exceptions) it wouldn't surprise me if the initial projections were very modest. First place in any respect for something like this is a big deal, and I'm pleased to see the series will be continuing.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
NOOOOOO

Ah well... They may be out of the running for DLC but there's always a future Smash game if the series keeps moving forward.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Sorry you guys, but hey at least the game sold well so Astral Chain may get a sequel and make itself a bigger series which can earn a Smash spot in the future.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Dang, well I'm sorry to hear about this. I think it would've been cool to see Akira Howard in Smash, but alas they got the Resident Evil treatment. Akira Howard may be ruled out as a fighter for Ultimate now, which is a big shame. Hopefully as Dr. Jojo Phantasma Dr. Jojo Phantasma said, Astral Chain as a game will receive more love in the future.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, crapbaskets.

Oh well. There's always the potential for a Smash Ultimate re-release or a Spirit-promotion Fighter Pass. Regardless, at least they're represented in some form. :)

EDIT: I think I may know which fighter is representing the Spirits here.

Howard Twins: Zero Suit Samus(?), Captain Falcon and Wolf. (Wolf representing the Sword Legion)
Kyle: Cloud (Advent Children colors)
Lappy: Giant Isabelle

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Maybe next time guys, sadly I think DLC spirit events indicate they have no plans to release them as a character at this point in time. I'm not a stranger to waiting an eternity to getting my most wanted so I can understand the frustration stuff like this does. I've been recently playing Astral Chain and loving it, Akira would make a great addition to the game. Hopefully the Astral Chain series continues and it can get it's dues in time

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Damn, Akira would have been such a great fighter for the second pass. This might have been Astral Chain's only chance at getting in smash. I really hope we do get a nintendo DLC again and not just third parties.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I didn't play Astral chain but the character sounds like a lot of fun and I'm a huge fan of Platinum games. I'm kind of sad to see that, but Astral chain is still suppose to be a trilogy, so I think they will be the Inkling of the next game (obvious first party new franchise choice)… if there's another game at least.

Top Bottom