• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
OMG! I can understand dr0go for reposting it, since it hasn't been mentioned for 25 posts, but people need to read at least the last 10 posts before posting. Taymond and Prax, I'm talking to you. Taymond posted with the last one only 7/8 post back, and Prax with JUST FIVE back... :ohwell:
But it's also slightly Yuna's fault for being inactive and not editing the first post...

Edit: Well, Prax found his error, so I guess it's forgivable...

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I didn't post your video as new evidence, I posted it as an annoyed correction to a poster who did not read the past page. In fact, I didn't even post your video. I posted your post. Clearly, I was aware of it if I linked it. I'm not a careless poster.

Yuna needs to update the OP to quell some of these comments.

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
Think about it. Why would they EVER implement Air Tripping? It would ruin the competitive aspect of the game completely. It's a glitch.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I didn't post your video as new evidence, I posted it as an annoyed correction to a poster who did not read the past page. In fact, I didn't even post your video. I posted your post. Clearly, I was aware of it if I linked it. I'm not a careless poster...
Opps! My bad; sorry about that.

Think about it. Why would they EVER implement Air Tripping? It would ruin the competitive aspect of the game completely. It's a glitch.
It's true that air tripping doesn't make sense in anyway, but I don't think Sakurai cares if he ruins competitive aspects. He said so himself that he wants to even the playing field, so he's actually purposely ruining its competitiveness. Although I don't think he'll go as far as add in something as stupid as tripping on air, purposely.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
i get gimped outta jumps all the time. when ever i turn aound jump and down b in the air sometimes i dont get a second jump. weak sauce...

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Air tripping is definitely real; just go use Luigi's Final Smash. If a character is in the air for too long while in the field, they'll trip. Even gets them during the invincibility respawn.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^no

Luigi's Final Smash can create a forced 'shield break' state.

If you wanna argue that, Peach's Final Smash makes people fall asleep, even in midair. I guess that's air tripping too.

No. The original post's videos were explained here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eSOiGOvTzws&feature=related
where Sonic lands on a platform at the same time he goes into up-B's fall state (B-moves/double jump prohibited). He retains this fall state until his next jump (aka "air trip")

This was discussing random air tripping. Running into a Luigi's Final Smash field and being sent into a broken-shield state is at least can be confined to a set of conditions, and so can Peach's Final Smash. But they are, by no means, random tripping like the kind that seem to be the source of issue in Brawl.

Pablicio

Smash Rookie
That happened to me once with Sonic. The instant I used my second jump I lost control of Sonic and fell. It is very creepy I tell you.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Saw a video on this a while back. it was 2 minutes long and it was showing how to get sonic's to happen.

Best101

Smash Ace
I started playing Sonic lately and I'm starting to see air tripping. Through my own experience I think air tripping is a Sonic thing

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is getting stupid. Sonic's air tripping is debunked. For the other reported cases, **** or GTFO.
Chances are it's just a footstool or something.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's true that the only proof we have is for Sonic, but you can also look at it the other way; the only proof of air tripping (that everyone can see and analyze) is also the two videos posted in the first post (which are now disproved). Everything else is just people saying "it happened to me once with so-and-so," etc.
Then again, I'm one of the most credibly people on these boards (Brawl boards). I don't lie and make **** up and when something happens to me, I make note of it and make sure I'm not remembering things wrong.

I've air tripped as Peach. Now you either call me a filthy liar or GTFO. I don't have video proof because, well, one of the times, I wasn't really paying attention and it was late and the other two times, it was in the SSE, which I'm pretty sure you cannot save replays for.

Yuna you can change the forum title to debunked now, this guy pretty much explains everything, and also it explains why it happens so much with Sonic and Peach. They have similar recoveries in that it's a straight shot up, and if hit with something (hit or land on a platform I guess) at just the right moment it stalls the fall until your next jump.

I don't know why I didn't notice this before; the wall jumping is an excellent point. He does continue his fall after a walljump and does not regain his jump. Using spring to walljump in target test 5 alot, don't know why I ever believed air trip was intentional. That's TOO cruel for Sakurai.
No, they do not. Peach's recovery is nothing like Sonic's. For one thing, it's impossible for her to land right after performing the Up B and there's noticable lag after it. There are also many other characters with Up Bs that are much more vertical than Peach's.

For another thing not once did I air trip right after going into the air, right after going out of some animation! Peach's air trip is nothing like the air trips in the video. Replicate it as Peach if you can.

For a third thing, until Hitaku comes back and says "I remember now, I've just Up B:ed right before this and landed right at the apex of my jump", then we cannot know if that's what happened to him or he just air tripped. It's quite probable, though. And I've always said that Sonic's air trip is very different from Peach's. And now we know why, his is a separate glitch.

Peach's Air Trip (and also Jigglypuff's and Ganondorf's) are air trips and not Footstools, Luigi's FS:es or Sonic Spring Glitches because if you land after air tripping, you land on your behind, like from a Ground Trip.

Air Tripping has not been debunked. The two videos we have proving it have. The next time I see an air trip, I'll save the replay (if it's possible). I'll force people to suicide if I have to.

To reiterate:
Air tripping is not debunked. The videos we have of Sonic "air tripping" might just not be actual air tripping but yet another Sonic glitch. I'll remove the videos for now.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can someone do the Sonic glitch and see what happens when you land on the ground after it? Every single "Air Trip" in that video had Sonic fall down and die instead of landing on the ground.

When you Air Trip, you land on your behind, as if you'd just Ground Tripped. If Sonic doesn't from this glitch, then it's not in any way connected to every other characters' Air Trip.

infernovia

Smash Ace
I think this happened to one of my friends when he was playing sonic. Couldn't get a capture card, sorry.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sonic lands normally on his feet as if he landed from a normal up B.
Then that settles it. Sonic's "Air Trip" is not an Air Trip at all but a separate glitch. The reported Air Trip, which has occurred with Peach, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf that we know of (which have been reported cases where they all landed on ground and landed on their behinds) is a separate assumed glitch.

storm92

Smash Ace
Yeah, this is getting stupid. Sonic's air tripping is debunked. For the other reported cases, **** or GTFO.
Chances are it's just a footstool or something.
Ahah, nice Arby n The Chief reference.
Anyways, we all know that Sonic's was just a glitch, and its incredibly easy to recreate.
But we still need to test whether or not Peach and other characters that people have claimed it happened to can truly air trip, or if they too have their own separate glitches. The main question now is how we're supposed to go about testing it, because going into training and attempting to make an air trip happen is a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack, we at least need an idea of what to do. Maybe attempt some upB's similar to Sonic's where it hits the stage at the zenith of the animation?
I'm not sure.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I don't think Arby and the Chief made that.

Anyways, this seems like a load of BS since there still isn't video proof and this thread has been around forever.

Tenki

Smash Hero
According to Yuna, a real 'airtrip' leaves you grounded as soon as you land.

When I first saw those videos of Sonic's "air trip", I recognized it as his spring falling animation. I'm guessing that at the apex of the spring jump, Sonic starts to go into that fall state (special tumble animation, no B moves), but landing on the floor before it happens 'buffers' it to happen the next time you get sent into the air.

That said, what does the air animation look like while you're falling with Peach/other characters?

If it's recognizable as one of their special attacks' fall animations, then it probably is related to a certain move.

edit/reply to next post:
Sorry, I meant the sitting-on-your-butt animation when I said 'grounded'

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think Arby and the Chief made that.

Anyways, this seems like a load of BS since there still isn't video proof and this thread has been around forever.
What part of "excessively rare" is too hard for you to grasp? I've only happened to me 3 times. And it hasn't happened since. As such, I cannot provide any video proof.

I just beat the odds by managing to air trip thrice within a small period of time and then never having it occur again. Even fewer instances of air tripping occurs with ground below the tripper, allowing us to confirm it's an actual Air Trip and not something else.

Believe what you want. I'm one of the most credibly sources on these boards. If you think it's BS, then just don't come here.

Translation: Provide meaningful discussion of GTFO. Either provide proof debunking air tripping or just don't write anything at all.

According to Yuna, a real 'airtrip' leaves you grounded as soon as you land.

When I first saw those videos of Sonic's "air trip", I recognized it as his spring falling animation. I'm guessing that at the apex of the spring jump, Sonic starts to go into that fall state (special tumble animation, no B moves), but landing on the floor before it happens 'buffers' it to happen the next time you get sent into the air.

That said, what does the air animation look like while you're falling with Peach/other characters?

If it's recognizable as one of their special attacks' fall animations, then it probably is related to a certain move.
It not just grounds you, go land on your behind, something you can only do after tripping (with or without a banana peel). If you get hit by Luigi's FS and go into Dizzy Mode, you'll land Dizzy, not on your behind.

When I air tripped, I fell quite fast. As in not the same speed as Sonic's "Air Trip" or from a Footstool or from falling normally. It was faster than that. And I was always too close to the ground for me to possibly see the falling animation.

It happened so fast and it's not like I've always got my eyes on Peach, making sure to catch her every single movement.

storm92

Smash Ace
What part of "excessively rare" is too hard for you to grasp? I've only happened to me 3 times. And it hasn't happened since. As such, I cannot provide any video proof.

I just beat the odds by managing to air trip thrice within a small period of time and then never having it occur again. Even fewer instances of air tripping occurs with ground below the tripper, allowing us to confirm it's an actual Air Trip and not something else.

Believe what you want. I'm one of the most credibly sources on these boards. If you think it's BS, then just don't come here.

Translation: Provide meaningful discussion of GTFO. Either provide proof debunking air tripping or just don't write anything at all.

It not just grounds you, go land on your behind, something you can only do after tripping (with or without a banana peel). If you get hit by Luigi's FS and go into Dizzy Mode, you'll land Dizzy, not on your behind.

When I air tripped, I fell quite fast. As in not the same speed as Sonic's "Air Trip" or from a Footstool or from falling normally. It was faster than that. And I was always too close to the ground for me to possibly see the falling animation.

It happened so fast and it's not like I've always got my eyes on Peach, making sure to catch her every single movement.
Do you remember if you had a turnip in hand? That could possibly eliminate some possibilities here.

storm92

Smash Ace
What, some kind of a weird turnip/item-glitch?

And no. No turnips were involved.
Meh, yeah that was my first thought, seeing as Peach is somewhat unique being able to produce an item out of the ground.
And you wouldn't upB for no reason if you're not off the stage, unless you were going for a KO?
I'm out of ideas, it could be a weird coincidence of events.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, if I were to guess a situation in which Peach would air trip, it would be hovering, since that move is unique to Peach.

What of these other characters? What situations did they airtrip during?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, if I were to guess a situation in which Peach would air trip, it would be hovering, since that move is unique to Peach.

What of these other characters? What situations did they airtrip during?
Yet if this were true, we'd have one gazillion cases of Peach air tripping because most Peaches float at one time or another!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yuna, when you say you were too close to see them tumbling animation, do you mean you were hovering right above the ground, ot that you just fell really quickly?

Because if it was hovering right above the ground, maybe it does have to do with hovering, just really low...)

I'm probably wrong, but meh >_<

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
I have to confirm it happened. I've not experienced it on first hand, but 2 of my friends tripped in the air in a fight, it's kind of a 1/10000000000000000 possibilities, coz we have played many times and never happened. Still, don't know if it's random or it may be caused by something. Anyway, it was a Kirby and R.O.B.

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
With all of the hacks out there, it COULD go in the direction of a glitch, but I believe him.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
yuna, when you say you were too close to see them tumbling animation, do you mean you were hovering right above the ground, ot that you just fell really quickly?

Because if it was hovering right above the ground, maybe it does have to do with hovering, just really low...)

I'm probably wrong, but meh >_<
I was not ground-floating when I air tripped (none out of the three times).

If ground-floating caused air-tripping, again, we'd see it a lot more. If it has anything to do with floating at all, we'd see Peaches air tripping left and right since floating is kinda pivotal when you play as Peach.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I've air tripped b4 as kirby, i started aerial hammer and just as the animation was about to start Kirby's feet went into the air and i fell almost as fast at normal fastfalling speed

Top Bottom