• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Releasing

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
beepos! how ares yu?!

Alrighty, I found another "could be nifty, could be junk" type of dealio today so I figured I'd share. And if it is known by most, then you have my most beepest apology.

It is pretty common knowledge to know that characters such as Marth can grab characters such as Olimar, MK, etc and if they grab release, they will go up in the air. The big indicator of this going to happen is that when Marth, or another tall character with this ability, has the opponent in a grab, and their feet are not touching the ground, or dangling.

Sadly, as most of us know, R.O.B. can't do this. Some think we can to Wario, but only if he presses a jump input during the grab. Well, I found a tiny alternative.

If R.O.B. catches a few of his opponents while they are landing and have not yet touched the ground, then they will air release!

Now, is this useful? So far (I just found this out), the only use I can get from it is that it doesn't give a character their jump back. So a character that has this trait and is easily gimpable, might be in trouble.
And a lot of players probably won't even see it coming.

Here's the characters I've found it on so far:
  • Game & Watch
  • Ice Climbers
  • Jigglypuff
  • Kirby
  • Lucas
  • Ness
  • Olimar
  • Pikachu
  • Yoshi

Hope this helps.
Discuss please.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
bwuahaha. this has got to be one of ROB's better weeks, alot of cool shiz has come forth

kinda hard catchinng them in the air, no? i'd except them to airdodge to the ground or something. but i guess no everyone does that. good to know! thanks.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Pull out the old pivot grab! Gets'em (ALMOST) everytime! ;)

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've been getting tech-chased from the air by a marth player here... he'd read my air-dodges and run around and pivot grab me out of the air ...
BUT if this helps us ROBs then YES =]

umm but I'm not too sure, ROB's pivot grab doesn't seem to have the best range

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Great find Mr. Eric!

If they've spent their jump and you can dangle them over the edge its an easy gimp.

Same thing as doing it to snake during his Up B, characters such as GW don't get their Up B back either.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah I've been getting tech-chased from the air by a marth player here... he'd read my air-dodges and run around and pivot grab me out of the air ...
BUT if this helps us ROBs then YES =]

umm but I'm not too sure, ROB's pivot grab doesn't seem to have the best range
I actually think it's pretty good. I do it quite a bit. I don't think it's bad per se.

Great find Mr. Eric!

If they've spent their jump and you can dangle them over the edge its an easy gimp.

Same thing as doing it to snake during his Up B, characters such as GW don't get their Up B back either.
Exactly!

Bees!

Smash Ace
Thank you Mister Eric! this is very helpful. I use pivot grabs a lot. So this will be really helpful. Also just out of curiosity...Would it be possible to laser some characters out a air release? It doesn't sound very helpful. But if you have a fully charged laser you could push them further away from the stage with it if it is guaranteed(this is theory-crafting mind you ^_^)

Also it IS possible to mindgames a Wario into air releasing. This works sometimes and is incredibly stupid looking but it is low risk and pays off it works. After you grab the Wario mash pummel intensely and make sure it is apparent to your opponent. That generally creates a mashing of his own to get out of your grab. However just make it known to your opponent that you are mashing pummel. immediately stop. If in their panic they pressed jump or up, you have an air release and a free tilted-up fSmash or dash to an Usmash.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Bees thats more likely to work if they have tap jump on, so if you happen to watch them do their controls...
Exactly.
I play Timotee quite often-Colorado's Wario(default controls) On Colorado PR
and played Steeler-Kansas PT main that uses Wario as well On Kansas PR(not sure what his controls are)
Both obviously know what they are doing.

Both knew about the air release and how to not let it happen. Yet this worked against them. Also if you screw up you still have wracked up damage, pummeled them and can avoid punishment as well.

But true, what you said would add well. I mean, if you pay attention to their control settings, it could get you a free stock in the match ;)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Man, what a good week for ROB! Steppin' it up after moving down. XD

Can we follow this up, or is it only best to use to release them offstage?

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Man, what a good week for ROB! Steppin' it up after moving down. XD

Can we follow this up, or is it only best to use to release them offstage?
Its useful onstage, it cuts their options to airdodge or attack, which is ridiculously limited since their initial reaction is to jump.

Theory crafting makes me believe that Usmash would be the best followup for this, especially if they still think they have their jump (so don't tell ANYBODY about this), if they airdodge the Usmash its a free Dsmash.

The offstage version has two levels:

1. If they've spent their jump and you catch them and dangle them.

a) you can pummel them some and throw them, they will be stuck off stage with only their Up B, good against chars like marth, Diddy, Mario, Luigi, etc..

b) You can pummel them until they release or just let them air release, if you pummel they will fall downward, either way they only have an Up B left and you can edgehog them.

2. If you grab them during or after their Up B, DONT PUMMEL THEM, just chill until they release and they will fall without an Up B, very few characters have an option to help them survive this.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Its useful onstage, it cuts their options to airdodge or attack, which is ridiculously limited since their initial reaction is to jump.

Theory crafting makes me believe that Usmash would be the best followup for this, especially if they still think they have their jump (so don't tell ANYBODY about this), if they airdodge the Usmash its a free Dsmash.

The offstage version has two levels:

1. If they've spent their jump and you catch them and dangle them.

a) you can pummel them some and throw them, they will be stuck off stage with only their Up B, good against chars like marth, Diddy, Mario, Luigi, etc..

b) You can pummel them until they release or just let them air release, if you pummel they will fall downward, either way they only have an Up B left and you can edgehog them.

2. If you grab them during or after their Up B, DONT PUMMEL THEM, just chill until they release and they will fall without an Up B, very few characters have an option to help them survive this.
Thanks! I'll need to test this out if possible, if UpSmash works it's gonna be win!

Yea, I'm pretty familiar with offstage grab shenanigans. It's a ton of fun to pull off against G&W and Sonic, to name a few. =)

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I did this today actually, it made my opponent go "wtf?" I kinda figured it was the grab. He was olimar, so i'm not really that suprized XD.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Good stuff. At this rate, we'll have ROB looking like A tier in no time.

Or at least we'll be goig up on the tier list. I have to practice this when I get my wii back.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Every character will air release if they've pressed jump while mashing out of your grab, and happen to escape while they were not being pummeled.

The list that Mr. Eric provided is characters that will air release if you grabbed them out of the air, weather or not they pressed jump while trying to mash out, because their feet are dangling while ROB holds them (aka they're short, tho we don't know why it doesn't work on MK.. [All thanks to Mr. Eric's research])

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
so your saying OP that rob can grab xx chars in such a way they get the dangly feet animation and air release? did you do it from a standing/dash/pivot grab?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
so your saying OP that rob can grab xx chars in such a way they get the dangly feet animation and air release? did you do it from a standing/dash/pivot grab?
yip! no matter how you grab them, as long as they are falling from the air and you catch them before they touch the ground, those characters I listed on the OP will air release regardless of button input.

--------------

What I think is odd is that characters as tall as Yoshi and Popo can air break! I almost didn't even test them. And I thought for sure that MK would and maybe Wario. If Wario did, it would help so much *sigh* :p

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Sorry for dbl posting, but just wanted to update that I tested all characters now, and the only new addition to the list is Pikachu. So 9 characters it is :p

GBye

Smash Cadet
Whoa, now how cool is that! I wanna go out and try it against a Sheik mainer friend of mine :p Gimptastic

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Whoa, now how cool is that! I wanna go out and try it against a Sheik mainer friend of mine :p Gimptastic
You could grab shiek from the edge, but on stage she will not air release unless your opponent inputs a jump and you don't pummel too much. The only people that it will work on all the time are listed on the front page.

Top Bottom