• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air dodging is saved

B’Nana

Smash Cadet
I think the SmUsh air dodge mechanics are great

Last edited:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I think they're interesting. It definitely makes juggling and air comboes in general easier, as well as edgeguarding to an extent. Though I worry that characters who already get juggled easily (eg, heavies) are gonna have a rough time.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
ssbu/just calling it ultimate ) "always go for this."
smUsh ) "never go for this. only villains do that."

chuckles aside, with the way airdodging works now it should be pretty interesting

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Eh, I've always personally disliked directional air dodge. The Brawl/Smash 4 dodge is my preference. Ah well, the game will still be fun regardless.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Eh, I've always personally disliked directional air dodge. The Brawl/Smash 4 dodge is my preference. Ah well, the game will still be fun regardless.
Agree to disagree.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wonder if this will be enough to save Jigglypuff from low tier? (I do prefer the Brawl/Smash 4 air dodge, since it makes defensive play easier, but Jigglypuff was definitely hurt by losing the ability to catch-22 foes offstage).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Im just thankful rolling is going to be slowed down/ Nerfed the more its used because that use to get on my freaking nerves when people constantly roll on FG. Its was usually beginners but still annoying.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I actually think we're consistently seeing in early footage a lot of players not properly taking advantage of neutral air dodges. It makes sense; normally you'd hold a direction to maximize air control as you airdodged in 4, but you need new input (reset to neutral) in Ultimate which will just take a little time to build the muscle memory for. I believe we've seen that neutral air dodges actually have less landing lag than 4; I'm not entirely sold they're really worse so much as just different in a few ways. It will definitely be a very early focus when I'm playing to figure it out though; airdodges are incredibly important tools in modern Smash for defense.

As per juggle escape though, I think the main use of the directional airdodges is exactly that. If someone is going to juggle you, you can directionally airdodge down/away and make chasing you that much harder with options for straight down and down-toward to mix up chases. Obviously these options are pretty laggy so there's downsides, but just having an additional option to get out of trouble is a huge boon if you're a big juggle bait character.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Welp if anything, Puff has less end lag on Bair and Uair so that's something
Yeah, but part of what made the wall of pain so, well, painful in Melee was that if you tried an air dodge off-stage, you immediately lost all hope of recovering, but if Jigglypuff was chasing you offstage, not airdodging meant being slowly piledriven directly into the blast line. It was a lose-lose situation. (Plus, the directional air dodge made up a bit for Jigglypuff not having a proper third jump.) I think the single biggest reason why Jigglypuff is low-tier in Brawl and Smash 4 is that it can't put its opponents into situations where trying to defend themselves or escape its combos flat-out kills them (and not escaping its combos also flat-out kills them).

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's terrible in Melee aside from wavedashing, but SSBU's version is pretty much perfect.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Standard air dodges have much less lag than directional.
Sorry, I meant in comparison to Brawl and Smash 4, that you can still do those in place air dodges but that in general the amount of frames of lag after has increased relative to those games, but I'm not sure if the lag part is true or not, just something I heard. Yeah, there would still be a lot less lag from a in place air dodge than a directional one in Ultimate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom